Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Most companies absolutely would not bother unless the hoax was somehow damaging them financially and directly. Then again maybe CW's legal department is very, very bored and has nothing better to waste their time on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Larryb posted:

Does Genndy Tartakovsky even have anything to do with this upcoming series?

I think you meant to ask about Craig McCracken and no

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I think you meant to ask about Craig McCracken and no

Ah right, got them confused. I was just curious if he had any input on this like he did with the anime (PPG is his baby after all).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm still thinkin' bout that amphibia finale

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm still thinkin' bout that amphibia finale

:same:

Super curious about what looks like an FBI van in the 3rd season trailer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, did y'all sleep Kid Cosmic And The Rings Of Power? I did and I regret it. It's super good so far. I just finished episode 4. The dead alien jokes took me by surprise. If you peeps haven't been watching it and you got NETFLIX, watch it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Hey, did y'all sleep Kid Cosmic And The Rings Of Power? I did and I regret it. It's super good so far. I just finished episode 4. The dead alien jokes took me by surprise. If you peeps haven't been watching it and you got NETFLIX, watch it.

I’ve been pushing it on anybody who will listen since day one. It’s incredibly charming and I’m really hoping we get a Season 2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oh my god. Just finished Kid Cosmic. So looking forward to season 2. Rosa killed over 100 people. Totes recommend!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

:same:

Super curious about what looks like an FBI van in the 3rd season trailer.

I looked at the trailer and noted the gang creeping around in a museum and a person with an access card and a dinosaur sweater, so I'm guessing they get an ally who can dig up human side knowledge on the box.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

Watched it when it came out. Didn't really fall in love with it. The characters where kinda boring.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Bobulus posted:

I looked at the trailer and noted the gang creeping around in a museum and a person with an access card and a dinosaur sweater, so I'm guessing they get an ally who can dig up human side knowledge on the box.

Given the change in setting, I fully expect the La Brea Tar Pits will be hiding some magical doodad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Re: Amphibia S3 opening

I’m intrigued by how 90s animation in style LA looks. Like, it reminded me a lot of Rocko’s Modern Life.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
That shift to keyframes :discourse:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just realized that one of the implications of Anne's superpower is that her hair has been generating its own twigs and leaves.

But thank frog she finally got a pair of shoes though.

Also I guess Sasha's going to not just reassemble the toad army, but build broader support with the community to overthrow the king. And I guess "True Colors" means that the color power was inside the girls from the beginning, but Anne just wasn't fully drained. I wonder if Sasha or Marcy can reclaim their colors.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just realized that one of the implications of Anne's superpower is that her hair has been generating its own twigs and leaves.

But thank frog she finally got a pair of shoes though.

Also I guess Sasha's going to not just reassemble the toad army, but build broader support with the community to overthrow the king. And I guess "True Colors" means that the color power was inside the girls from the beginning, but Anne just wasn't fully drained. I wonder if Sasha or Marcy can reclaim their colors.

Sashachat:

What we've seen of her, both in flashbacks and in the plot, doesn't make me think Sasha's any better at being a leader. No one is inspired by her example, at least not for very long. But she's a hell of a staff officer, though. Sasha makes poo poo happen. Her need for control is best served in the long term by having someone else to be the focus of everyone's trust.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

all i know is i am extremely here for ghost marcy theory

https://twitter.com/FISTRAID/status/1397647358414913537

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to Kid Cosmic. It's really cute. Looking forward to season 2. I loved (both late in the series) Chuck being ABLE to speak english without his communicator, it just being painful for him to do so, also his realisation that even at his worst Kid Cosmic STILL had more balls than his old leader at his best. and Kid's lategame line "THAT'S MY POWER! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!"

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Amphibia thing I noticed: So I'm definitely not the first person to pick it up, but in the brief scene where we see Andrias and his former frog and toad friend their skin colours specifically match that of the Calamity Box's three gems. Even more interesting is that despite the species each of the three girls ended up hanging around for most of the series, Anne's counterpart in that trio is Andrias himself. I think it's especially interesting Andrias is chromatically tied to the gem of compassion given what we've seen of the character and I wonder if, as more info is revealed about the trio, the other two might also have failed to live up to the aspect of their associated gem.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Amphibia thing related to above:

I mean, technically, they already are thematic parallels, in that much like Andrias, Anne's friends have both betrayed her in some (in Sasha's case, many) form over the past two seasons.

edit:

https://twitter.com/MrBabyMan/status/1396905001511915520

quote:

Now that #Amphibia season 2 is over, I can share this gem from the writers’ room, illustrating the group dynamic between Anne and her friends.

I like the distinction between Sasha = immoral, Marcy = Amoral, Anne = Moral

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 27, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On colors and magical gems and people related to them:

Throughout the entire rest of the series, Ann, Marcy, and Sasha have all had an eye-glowing thing that was extremely easy to miss and looking back at the clips it almost feels like someone edited it because it's so dang subtle, and the temples apparently were draining their eyeglow. Which I have no idea if that means humans are magically gifted in Amphibia or if traveling dimensions gives you power or if just anyone could have some kind of innate power to be harvested into gems but cutting the recharge before it's done connects you to extra potential. Weird stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOxJdtRcQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTtdDiXq6Q

Andrias's friends I don't really have any predictions about, aside from the smaller one having the same skin and hair color as Sprig, so maybe Hop-Pop's book was a family heirloom. The other one looks like some kind of horned toad, so maybe he only betrayed the king second and before they fell out, he started the practice of the toads ruling over the frogs out in the frontier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm hoping that ALL the main warrior characters in Amphibia join Sasha and Grimes due to disagreeing with Andreas, including the mad gecko captain/assassin who is obsessed with saying her own name. Having her working with Sasha instead of trying to kill Grimes could be a fun dynamic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

On colors and magical gems and people related to them:

Throughout the entire rest of the series, Ann, Marcy, and Sasha have all had an eye-glowing thing that was extremely easy to miss and looking back at the clips it almost feels like someone edited it because it's so dang subtle, and the temples apparently were draining their eyeglow. Which I have no idea if that means humans are magically gifted in Amphibia or if traveling dimensions gives you power or if just anyone could have some kind of innate power to be harvested into gems but cutting the recharge before it's done connects you to extra potential. Weird stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOxJdtRcQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTtdDiXq6Q

Andrias's friends I don't really have any predictions about, aside from the smaller one having the same skin and hair color as Sprig, so maybe Hop-Pop's book was a family heirloom. The other one looks like some kind of horned toad, so maybe he only betrayed the king second and before they fell out, he started the practice of the toads ruling over the frogs out in the frontier.

I would assume that they got the glow from when they originally opened the box

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm hoping that ALL the main warrior characters in Amphibia join Sasha and Grimes due to disagreeing with Andreas, including the mad gecko captain/assassin who is obsessed with saying her own name. Having her working with Sasha instead of trying to kill Grimes could be a fun dynamic.

She's a newt. Not a gecko. They're all some sort of amphibians. No Reptiles here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Whoops, my bad, been a long week. :P

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqpjPMRPHg4

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 27, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://youtu.be/msxL_Ge3uPo

One of my favorite YouTube channels did a thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiFpMk0T3g
so there's an episode of Teen Titans GO where the monstars show up and Cyborg finds out the other titans haven't seen space jam so he makes them all watch space jam

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Cyborg being this classic media guy, it's super endearing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That and him just being really good friends with Starfire is stuff I really love about GO.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So someone made a thing

https://moringmark.tumblr.com/post/652344294796034048

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like that the person drew the comic, but still added text like it was a meme.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

MoringMark is usually great, this one’s just bleh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait is that little face girl voiced by Dana Terrace?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

She's literally Dana's self-insert. It's literally a caricature of her own face with a pair of comically tiny arms and legs slapped on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

She's literally Dana's self-insert. It's literally a caricature of her own face with a pair of comically tiny arms and legs slapped on.

We got one now for Alex Hirsh and Dana. Matt Braly getting in on this?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who's the Alex Hirsch insert? King? Hooty???

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who's the Alex Hirsch insert? King? Hooty???

Frog Soos.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Covok posted:

We got one now for Alex Hirsh and Dana. Matt Braly getting in on this?

Matt voices Chuck.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

fractalairduct posted:

Matt voices Chuck.

Does he grow turnips IRL?

Edit: speaking of Matt...

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1398157042938908673
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1398157044847284226

:toot:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 29, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty normal for a show's creator to sometimes slot themself into the show as a joke character, although I think it got awkward with Adventure Time after Pendleton Ward mostly parted ways with the project but kept voicing LSP as the show . There's some shows where the main character is even voiced by the show creator like Thurop van Orman and Flapjack.

I think an extreme example is how Jim Henson played Kermit on the muppet show, where Kermit's wrangling of the muppets and trying to put on a show reflected Jim Henson's career of wrangling puppeteers and trying to put on a show. Or there's Seth MacFarlane, casting himself as half the characters on Family Guy and the main character on his live action show.

It seems weird for him to be so candid about internal corporate evaluation metrics. But it also seems really weird for a show to only get merchandise if it performs well enough. Especially if Disney's going to limit the show's runtime so there'll be very little time for the show and merchandise to coexist and work together. I get the sense that with some networks they have great disdain for any shows that can't be easily merchandised.

Weird industry. Weird company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems weird for him to be so candid about internal corporate evaluation metrics. But it also seems really weird for a show to only get merchandise if it performs well enough. Especially if Disney's going to limit the show's runtime so there'll be very little time for the show and merchandise to coexist and work together. I get the sense that with some networks they have great disdain for any shows that can't be easily merchandised.

Weird industry. Weird company.

Kids programming is generally created with either advert dollars via ratings as the prime focus for revenue or merchandising or brand promotion as the prime focus with each seeing the other as a secondary stream. Developing merch takes time so if a show wasn't designed with merch in mind it takes a lot a time and investment to get it spun up since it'd be part of a new investment that wasn't initially planned for at the start so there'd be a hesitance from a financial perspective since there'd need to be evidence that there'd be a return on investment if merch was produced (and in what kind to which demographics). And it can't just break even either. It has to make a profit of some significance and be worth the manhours and internal resources devoted to that compared to working on some other more profitable brand or investment that would have a greater return. It's also likely that these are decisions made by different internal groups or divisions such that the merchandising division doesn't care how many seasons a show has left or under its belt when it does its planning while programming will only care about merchandising if they were there from the beginning of development of the series in the first place. Otherwise, they're gonna have to wait for the next cycle and the next planning meeting to even put in a proposal that can be negotiated.

It's not all that weird when you see all of these things as investment vehicles and corporate projects that can have more than one investor involved and not merely objects of arts and entertainment that some set of people like. They need to make money and they need to make more money compared to any other potential programming alternative that could be made.

One other thing to consider is that all series tend to have general downwards trends in ratings and whatever internal metrics they have for determining what does and doesn't get renewed tends to coincide with the ratings declines that are reached by around season 3.