Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HookShot posted:

I just posted something dumb...

Whomst among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
That FJ was really tough in an unfun way, I feel. Like, the Mason Dixon line is 50 miles south of Pittsburgh and at least that far east of Baltimore. i kind of get what they were going for, but this one seems much more like a victim of recent bizarre writing than some of the other ones

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Canadian here with a moderate knowledge of US history, and I did not stand a chance. I answered the same joke answer as Mackenzie just to have something.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The people make sense once you hear it but it stumped me completely. Good clue for TOC.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was half right, so more than any of the contestants...I'll take it.

I was thrown off by the "eastern" part of the clue, so I immediately went to the easternmost border of Maryland and went with Lord Baltimore and Baron De La Warr. Right idea, wrong border.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I just posted something dumb...

Saving this post for future reference.

Hey, was a goon here a family member of Mackenzie (sorry if I spelled it wrong)?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went with Grant and Lee

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, was a goon here a family member of Mackenzie (sorry if I spelled it wrong)?

Yep—I haven’t publicly posted it in here but yeah I’m her brother. And you know, if I had won any of my games she might not have been able to play the same season so really this success is half mine you could say

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Yep—I haven’t publicly posted it in here but yeah I’m her brother. And you know, if I had won any of my games she might not have been able to play the same season so really this success is half mine you could say

Word, that’s what I thought. And sorry, I thought you posted it here, if you PMed it to me I apologize for mixing that up, didn’t mean to make you post that here if you didn’t want to.

And hey, she gets bragging rights on jeopardy, you get bragging rights on who wants to be a millionaire. It evens out right ?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m loving all the trivia dynasty families in this thread.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Word, that’s what I thought. And sorry, I thought you posted it here, if you PMed it to me I apologize for mixing that up, didn’t mean to make you post that here if you didn’t want to.

No worries, I just didn’t want to post it and steal her thunder while she was still actively playing lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was all in in Ken but Buzzy has been really good.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I’ve noticed Buzzy seems to get caught up in the energy of the competition and his reading of the answers gets punchier, louder, and faster at times as the momentum heats up. Like he’s matching the contestants’ excitement rather than balancing it with a calm demeanor. It’s actually pretty good for the tournament format but it would probably get fatiguing.

He’s still one of my favorites so far though, yeah.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I knew what painting they were talking about, but I totally blanked on the name of it.

Sam looked really good in today's episode.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Sam looked really good in today's episode.

I agree. Too bad nobody remembered his last name is Elliott.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

feetnotes posted:

I’ve noticed Buzzy seems to get caught up in the energy of the competition and his reading of the answers gets punchier, louder, and faster at times as the momentum heats up. Like he’s matching the contestants’ excitement rather than balancing it with a calm demeanor. It’s actually pretty good for the tournament format but it would probably get fatiguing.

He’s still one of my favorites so far though, yeah.

I am waiting for him to move his podium over to the contestants' side of the stage to try defend his ToC title.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I answered "The Nighthawks". I know there are rules about adding and subtracting "The" from answers, but I have no idea if I would have gotten counted correct or not.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Jokymi posted:

I answered "The Nighthawks". I know there are rules about adding and subtracting "The" from answers, but I have no idea if I would have gotten counted correct or not.

The Nighthawks are a band and the painting doesn't have the article in it so I say no.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
On the other hand, there's no famous painting called The Nighthawks, which is the root of the [The] Invisible Man problem. And the clue specifically asked for a painting. You might have gotten it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the rule is something else with "the" that it can be confused with. Presumably you're not going to be mixing up a piece of artwork and a band, so I think you'd be fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wanted to punch Ryan in the face during his intro today.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wow. You can tell that Ryan gave up after the last DD even though there was enough on the board to take the lead back (and he almost did anyway).

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I loving hate this kid!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Loved the emotion from VVV as she won! Rooting for her to take the whole thing and hoping Nibir wins tomorrow.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Stone Temple Pilots were huge for a (brief) time where I live and a couple of radio stations still occasionally play their songs.

Were they just not huge everywhere? Just surprised that was a triple stumper.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I get so many music clues of songs I've never heard just by scanning through the Sirius XM channels in the morning instead of watching the road and that's one of them. Lithium must play that song at least five times a day.

Does anyone else feel like there were some very clunky clues in tonight's episode?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zero One posted:

Wow. You can tell that Ryan gave up after the last DD even though there was enough on the board to take the lead back (and he almost did anyway).

He actually rolled his eyes on the second to last clue and his tone was a very clear "this is bullshit that I'm gonna lose".

His half-assed clap and just staring at the podium pouting was the icing on top at the end, gently caress that guy. Doesn't really help his "it was just excitement in the heat of the moment" claim, dude seems like a real dick I'd never want to invite to game night.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hell yeah boys we’ve got our heel

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Stone Temple Pilots were huge for a (brief) time where I live and a couple of radio stations still occasionally play their songs.

No, they were pretty big. And Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart was an early Rock Band staple, which helped reintroduce them to the next generation.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
To be fair, those last several DJ clues were a pointless exercise, because there wasn't enough money left on the board for any of them to change their position no matter how they answered, and the actual amounts they accumulated were meaningless since all that mattered was who won. I did not get the impression Ryan gave up when he still had a shot at overtaking Victoria, but at the end he knew they were just running out the clock.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Timby posted:

I wanted to punch Ryan in the face during his intro today.

Same except just all of the time.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm from Ryan's area and if he listened to the local rock station for all of five minutes he would have heard STP. Can't fault him for his FJ bet though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

STP is one of those bands that I've heard a million times and that I don't mind listening to, but I cannot name a single one of their songs and if you asked me to identify one of their songs on the radio I'd get it wrong. I always misattribute their stuff to other bands in the genre.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I was all about defending Ryan for his excitement in his first game that some people called rude, but this time his attitude was just poor sportsmanship. Unfortunate.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Are champions ever, like, not invited back for being rude?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orzo posted:

I was all about defending Ryan for his excitement in his first game that some people called rude, but this time his attitude was just poor sportsmanship. Unfortunate.

Honestly, I still think that's true. He was really uncomfortable to watch, but I think it came from a place of him not really being aware of how he comes across and not like he set out to be an rear end in a top hat specifically. A true Jeopardy villain would end up in the red after Double Jeopardy and be sent home, then right as the Final Jeopardy song finished, he'd run out on stage with a metal chair and hit the contestant in 1st.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

Are champions ever, like, not invited back for being rude?

Depends, was Arthur Chu good enough to make the All Star games? To me, his attitude likely meant he got passed over for Austin Rogers

On a side note, a friend of mine from Kolkata is staying with me for a week due to her apartment not being ready yet and after hearing me talk about Jeopardy wanted to watch a game. I eased her in by playing J6 with her on Alexa before watching just to get her familiar with the concept and since she's a chemical engineer with a Masters under her belt thought it should be challenging (being TOC & all) but enjoyable.

The result was outside of vegetables, she was utterly out of her element. The pace was too rapid, the pop culture questions were too esoteric to her and I don't think she enjoyed it much less with me. She was more satisfied eating her first McDonald's burger Sunday (a Big Mac) than watching TV which she almost never does anyway.

So if we end up in a war with India, you'll know who to blame and it's not the engineer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I wonder how much you have to grow up with Jeopardy to be comfortable with the concept. It moves a LOT faster than most trivia contests, and obviously the questions are pretty America-centric.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's also very anglocentric; the language of the prompts often contains some subtle clue to the answer based on phrasing or unusual word choice that would be totally lost if you weren't an idiomatic English speaker.

Like i can't imagine trying to follow the logic chain from "Choreographer Eliot Feld turned the music of Johann Strauss Jr. into these “dotty” dances" to "Polka Dot" to "Polka" if you weren't a native speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

zakharov posted:

I wonder how much you have to grow up with Jeopardy to be comfortable with the concept. It moves a LOT faster than most trivia contests, and obviously the questions are pretty America-centric.

The show concept and pace is fine, though it does seem far too dependent on buzzer timing vs anything else, at least in regular Jeopardy.

The US centric slant of the questions is there for sure, not really a problem in regular jeopardy, but seems turned up to 11 in the tournament of champions to me.

For one, knowing the names of the wives of various historic political figures seems to be a thing in the US that just isn’t in the UK at all.