Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I stopped watching Batwoman because i couldn't care about any of the characters. Unlike a lot of other goons I never got into Alice, mostly because I find having a character be super into Alice In Wonderland as a shorthand for them being Craaaaaaaaaazy is the absolute laziest and hackish thing to write. At least she doesn't talk exclusively in rhyme.

Thing is I could care about the characters, if they gave me something to care about. Kane family drama I didn't give a poo poo about, Kate's hosed up relationship with Sophie was terrible, and the fact they felt they needed to keep doing it after apparently killing Kate just bothered me. It wasn't like they could let Leslie become her own character, she still had to fit into this horrible, pointless plot about family drama. 90% of crime in Gotham was related to that relationship drama it felt like. Imagine if Batman found out the reason his rogues were always causing trouble was because they were either blood relatives or his exs.

The Joker keeps killing people because while at summer camp Bruce Wayne and Jack Napier experimented. Oh god, no one has ever done a story where one of them turned out to be be an illegitimate child of Thomas Wayne.

Uh yea, Superman, I do love that Kal's Nerdy Clark stuff seems to just be his dad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jassa posted:

It's a messy season for Batwoman for sure, but for the most part they're doing okay with the poo poo hand they were dealt. I have a feeling once the show gets free from the fallout of Ruby Rose's departure (next season, at this rate) it'll improve a fair bit.

As someone that has watched every episode of Batwoman, I don't think it will get better. There has been maybe half a good episode this season. I'd love for it to turn into a good show but how many shows do that in season 3?

I wish Superman and Lois would just be a different but similar Earth than Arrowverse Earth. I worry forced crossovers will hurt this show's quality next season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Strongly recommend it. It’s got the hands-down best villain of all these or any other shows.

Tobias Whale is up there with Thawne in just how great a villain he is and how personal he takes his revenge and scheming.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spacebump posted:

As someone that has watched every episode of Batwoman, I don't think it will get better. There has been maybe half a good episode this season. I'd love for it to turn into a good show but how many shows do that in season 3?

I wish Superman and Lois would just be a different but similar Earth than Arrowverse Earth. I worry forced crossovers will hurt this show's quality next season.

They're running out of stuff to crossover with. Arrow is gone, Supergirl (the obvious choice) and Black Lightning are in their final seasons. It's just going to be Flash and Batwoman and maybe Legends (but that show is less suited to crossovers I think.

Maybe they'll do a big event where people like Kara will show up as guests even though their show is done. I'm going to be disappointed if we never see Kara on this show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

They're running out of stuff to crossover with. Arrow is gone, Supergirl (the obvious choice) and Black Lightning are in their final seasons. It's just going to be Flash and Batwoman and maybe Legends (but that show is less suited to crossovers I think.

Maybe they'll do a big event where people like Kara will show up as guests even though their show is done. I'm going to be disappointed if we never see Kara on this show.

The problem is crossing over Flash or Batwoman with this show would lower the quality of this show. Those shows are so bad right now.

It'd be kind of shocking if Kara never shows up on this. I can understand why she didn't do a guest spot this season though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can totally see season 2 having a few episodes where Kara comes and visits for a few episodes. I'm pretty sure Benoist said she is totally down for doing guest spots and stuff, just with a new baby she doesn't want to have to do a weekly show anymore.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Isn’t one of the problems that this takes place ~15 years after all the other shows? Lois was pregnant on Supergirl and now the kids are in high school. Or were there time shenanigans I’m not remembering?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slamhound posted:

Isn’t one of the problems that this takes place ~15 years after all the other shows? Lois was pregnant on Supergirl and now the kids are in high school. Or were there time shenanigans I’m not remembering?

I don't think they've actually explained that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I don't think they've actually explained that.

Crisis aged up the kids. There’s a scene at the end of the crossover where Lois calls Clark and she’s like “yo, get the gently caress back home, Smallville, your boys are acting up.” And Clark’s like “wait, boys? What boys?”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That'd be hilarious if Clark didn't even know he was a dad until the kids were like 14.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

That'd be hilarious if Clark didn't even know he was a dad until the kids were like 14.

I thought this was going to be the main plot but it appears he has full memories of his life on Earth Prime.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
All the participants in crisis have both sets of memories I thought thanks to Martian Manhunter?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Lord Bude posted:

All the participants in crisis have both sets of memories I thought thanks to Martian Manhunter?

He was only able to restore pre-Crisis memories. They never made anything clear about the participants recovering memories of their Earth Prime lives that they didn't actually live.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think we can all agree that Clark not having full and proper memories - or really, any of the consequences of Crisis - would not make this show better or more interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I think we can all agree that Clark not having full and proper memories - or really, any of the consequences of Crisis - would not make this show better or more interesting.

Not in the least. Cool, dorky Dad-Clark is the best version of the character that we've gotten in live action since Routh.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It really is better if all the Arrowverse continuity stuff is in the hazy background for Superman & Lois.
When rewatching the show's opening scenes (as I do) it'd be cool to see Melissa Benoist and Mehcad Brooks at
Lois and Clark's wedding, but it's not truly needed.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

As someone who hasn't followed the arrowverse in ages I'm glad they didn't do that. Seems needlessly complicated as a premise for a show for people that didn't follow all the other series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adnor posted:

As someone who hasn't followed the arrowverse in ages I'm glad they didn't do that. Seems needlessly complicated as a premise for a show for people that didn't follow all the other series.

They got caught up in the shared universe idea and I think in the long run it has hurt the shows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not like they planned on covid when they came up with the idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Okay. This Captain "Luthor" is definitely John Henry Irons. As soon as his daughter was named, I knew it and they revealed it in the episode so I'm glad they're not stringing it along too much.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ooooh, when the ship AI misidentified Clark as "Captain Luthor" that was a hint that the Stranger wasn't actually Lex.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Okay. This Captain "Luthor" is definitely John Henry Irons. As soon as his daughter was named, I knew it and they revealed it in the episode so I'm glad they're not stringing it along too much.

Like, when they gave him a super smart girl named Nat, I just thought it was a coincidence, then "oh they're folding it aspects of Steel in the character" I was actually surprised
they had him be John Henry Irons and a pretty cool John Henry Irons inversion at that.
Well done, SHOW!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Ooooh, when the ship AI misidentified Clark as "Captain Luthor" that was a hint that the Stranger wasn't actually Lex.

Well it was that or the AI was stupid which was technically true but not in the way I thought.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, are Clarks kids immune to kryptonite or do they get the green flu just like their father?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Good twist and reveal.

I very much enjoy the Kents as a family. Let's talk this out also reveal what has been happening!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/EC3QcLM.mp4

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good twist and reveal.
Yeah, it had that great quality of being completely unanticipated (at least to me) while still feeling like a logical development.

It was also awesome seeing that David Ramsey was the director for this ep.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So let me get this straight...

John Jeremy Irons(the creator of the Steel armor) lived in another dimension where Superman turned evil, got a group of other Supermen together to take over the world, but after resisting he ran off to our dimension, John followed him to kill Superman, and then wanted to come back to his home!?

Also, does this mean that the black armor was originally intended to be used by the other dimensions Luther!? And that John was in a relationship with his own Lois!? And if the evil Superman did in fact run here, then where is he!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vietnamwees posted:

So let me get this straight...

John Jeremy Irons(the creator of the Steel armor) lived in another dimension where Superman turned evil, got a group of other Supermen together to take over the world, but after resisting he ran off to our dimension, John followed him to kill Superman, and then wanted to come back to his home!?

Also, does this mean that the black armor was originally intended to be used by the other dimensions Luther!? And that John was in a relationship with his own Lois!? And if the evil Superman did in fact run here, then where is he!?

Did I miss this part where the evil Superman from John's dimension escaped to the current one? Seemed like evil Superman was successful on his earth and won. I think it was just John who escaped and is now trying to kill Clark before history repeats itself.

Everything else seems right. The Halo armor / AI was probably meant for Lex.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did I miss this part where the evil Superman from John's dimension escaped to the current one? Seemed like evil Superman was successful on his earth and won. I think it was just John who escaped and is now trying to kill Clark before history repeats itself.

Everything else seems right. The Halo armor / AI was probably meant for Lex.

I think it's stated to be given that they were tricking the AI to make it think Irons was Luthor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vietnamwees posted:

Hey, are Clarks kids immune to kryptonite or do they get the green flu just like their father?
Jordan seemed to be affected by the red light same as Clark. :shrug:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That episode was so good. Loved the evil Superman + his army scene. The bad guys being able to hear everything makes me wonder how long before they know who the Kents really are. The boys in the truck and their scene getting pumped about it afterward was great. Felt like the origin story of a heroic duo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spacebump posted:

That episode was so good. Loved the evil Superman + his army scene. The bad guys being able to hear everything makes me wonder how long before they know who the Kents really are. The boys in the truck and their scene getting pumped about it afterward was great. Felt like the origin story of a heroic duo.

the writer of the episode has been a script reader staff writing assistant on several shows for years and I believe this is his first major tv show episode. He's been the biggest superman fan for years, and he was so giddy last night talking about it.

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

JOHN

HENRY

IRONS

I'm embarrassed I didn't get that at the first mention of "Nat".

This show is awesome. That's all I got.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Show cool and good.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

oh jay posted:

JOHN

HENRY

IRONS

I'm embarrassed I didn't get that at the first mention of "Nat".

This show is awesome. That's all I got.

My wife is not a comic book fan at all, but she loves these shows and likes to know the comic book influence. When Nat showed up she asked me if Luthor's ever had a daughter in the comics. I was like "nah, actually this reminds me of another Superman character" but dismissed it, because how many people in the general public actually know who Steel is beyond the Shaq movie?

When he started talking about his hammer absorbing kinetic energy to hit harder the further it flies, I was freaking out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The comics accurate hammer was awesome! That line about how "the hammer wasn't ready" earlier to justify them not blowing the secret too early though. Haha.

Also, I loved the detail of him doing Nat's hair in the montage, and then him pensively looking at a hairtie on his wrist while he was captured. This show is so dense and great.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Do you lot see this ramping up to Irons being a fixture and part of the "supersquad"? Seems like they'll bring the daughter over to this earth, so we can have Evil Superman follow and get an episode or two of mistaken identity but maybe they don't bend toward that somewhat played out trope.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

hatelull posted:

Do you lot see this ramping up to Irons being a fixture and part of the "supersquad"? Seems like they'll bring the daughter over to this earth, so we can have Evil Superman follow and get an episode or two of mistaken identity but maybe they don't bend toward that somewhat played out trope.

It would be fun to see how a half sister would alter the dynamics of the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

hatelull posted:

I think they could do that and it'd be a great idea. They could also bring in that Earth's version of Irons because if I remember correctly, faking his death was part of his backstory.
It's how he ended up working in construction and how Superman first ended up saving him.