Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

i thought the problem with the netflix/disney shows was that it became clear early on that the companies were going to be competitors going forward (as netflix spent to develop their own content and disney started moving towards building their own streaming service) so that neither company had any real incentive in making sure those shows succeeded, which was reflected in their budgets and turnover and marketing

they were dead projects walking from the start, only being made because of contractual obligation (much like the microsoft kin and the apple/motorola ROKR phone)
ifk about "from the start" but this is a major factor just depends where you want to say it started. it also doesn't matter when/where it started lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most interesting thing about disney+ is that it suggests that maybe you actually need to be one of the five famously highest-profile and high-paying tech giants to make a web page where you can tap a picture and it streams a sequence of videos and it can remember where you were and it generally mostly works?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the most interesting thing about disney+ is that it suggests that maybe you actually need to be one of the five famously highest-profile and high-paying tech giants to make a web page where you can tap a picture and it streams a sequence of videos and it can remember where you were and it generally mostly works?
it's true. all it needs is more than one month of viewable content per year for normies/stingy parents

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

netflix marvel always had five eps of plot in a ten ep season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I liked the parts in Luke Cage where there was a Wu Tang needle drop. they should have done more of that.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

I liked the parts in Luke Cage where there was a Wu Tang needle drop. they should have done more of that.

I liked how they named episodes after 90s rap songs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the big problems with the marvel netflix shows was how there can be literal superhero battles in the streets of manhattan an 10,000 uparmored nypd/national guard special forces don't immediately rappel into every situation

person of interest had the same problem, these big setpiece gun battles in midtown and no cops show up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qirex posted:

person of interest had the same problem, these big setpiece gun battles in midtown and no cops show up

Jim Caviezel is apparently a huge evangelical freak. QAA did an episode about him which features quotes from people who worked with him on set of the person of interest. It's a fun listen.

https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

infernal machines posted:

it's very important to humanize our cartoon villains, the ones intentionally created to be so outlandishly evil that you could make a very simple tale of good versus bad for children

the cruel devil is indistinguishable from any modern-day rich, lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
well yeah he was bloodrave jesus, i'd honestly be shocked if jimbo was just a normal guy after that role

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

qirex posted:

one of the big problems with the marvel netflix shows was how there can be literal superhero battles in the streets of manhattan an 10,000 uparmored nypd/national guard special forces don't immediately rappel into every situation

cops regularly don't show up to calls about fights or gunshots, that's realistic actually

Public Enemy made a song about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well yeah he was bloodrave jesus, i'd honestly be shocked if jimbo was just a normal guy after that role
its an occupational hazard

charleton heston supposedly got considerably nuttier after the ten commandments

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indigi posted:

cops regularly don't show up to calls about fights or gunshots, that's realistic actually

Public Enemy made a song about it

cops like to be the only people shooting up the place

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idk netflix can't reliably get this right either. it might just be impossible

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i liked luke cage pretty well.

i really wanted to like iron fist bc sweet, buddhist kung fu superhero. but then he was a rich white savior and it somehow kept getting less good after that

i think i watched the first season of daredevil and it was ok. maybe the second one?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Jim Caviezel is apparently a huge evangelical freak. QAA did an episode about him which features quotes from people who worked with him on set of the person of interest. It's a fun listen.

https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

the people interviewed about him mention jim is so incredible dumb they had to treat him like a dog when giving him instructions, saying everything slowly, loudly and repeatedly

unrelated, he also got into a fight with a dog actor, dogctor, on set and was bitten by the dog, so they had to cast a new dog

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
catching up on Better Call Saul from season 4. Kim is ultimate wife. wtf is she doing with Jimmy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

indigi posted:

catching up on Better Call Saul from season 4. Kim is ultimate wife. wtf is she doing with Jimmy
Not kicking him to the curb 🤬

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
his stroke must be mythic tier

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Emma Stone being made fun of for being a Woody Allen defender turned her into Cruella.

powerful backstory

qirex posted:

legion is... different. it's weird as gently caress and really leans on the weirdness and although it ends up being about saving the world it keeps it at reasonable human scale, plus most of the lead actors are really good which helps a lot. and yeah I watched the rest of jessica jones but I only really liked s1. hell, that and luke cage were the only of those netflix shows I actually enjoyed

maybe i should give it a go; s1 of jessica jones was good and i like luke cage. dd started fine, but the more odd villains try introduced the less i stick to it and i think i didn't catch the last season. lol to iron fist

PCjr sidecar posted:

netflix marvel always had five eps of plot in a ten ep season

a lot of miniseries needs to be a series padding, yeah

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Kim is amazing. Remember fellas if she can settle for Jimmy then there's hope for us all.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kim is such a great foil to Jimmy in BCS. Since I don't think Vince Gilligan will kill her off, I feel like she will be the first person Jimmy makes use the witness relocation service.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

legion is absolutely not a superhero show if that's what's keeping you from watching it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the later seasons of daredevil are endless tedium about his rear end in a top hat mentor and his rear end in a top hat mentor’s bullshit organization and how his bullshit powers are basically better than sight in every way and how his friends all hate him for lying to them for years, and the only thing that makes any of it worth watching are the scenes with vincent d’onofrio

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rjmccall posted:

the later seasons of daredevil are endless tedium about his rear end in a top hat mentor and his rear end in a top hat mentor’s bullshit organization and how his bullshit powers are basically better than sight in every way and how his friends all hate him for lying to them for years, and the only thing that makes any of it worth watching are the scenes with vincent d’onofrio

i was pretty checked out by the time the main villains were revealed to be zombie ninjas or whatever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
daredevil as a character is frankly just far too silly to support either a serious dramatic tone or an intense backstory. just let the man be a small-time lawyer who defends his small-time client of the week by sneaking into offices and beating people up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
his superpower is that he's so blind that he can see

also he's "the man without fear" which to me just sounds like being every dumbass teenage boy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
daredevil season 1 is pretty good up until he gets the suit and it goes off the rails into goofy comic poo poo while retaining the previous dark tone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also elektra may be the worst character in anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

frank miller was all "what if raphael was a hot chick instead of a surly jerseyan mutant turtle"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

frank miller was all "what if raphael was a hot chick instead of a surly jerseyan mutant turtle"

truly my childhood dreams realized

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shaggar posted:

daredevil season 1 is pretty good up until he gets the suit and it goes off the rails into goofy comic poo poo while retaining the previous dark tone.

also Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin [is good]

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the bill seinkewicz electra assassin comic is amazing tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if they can make a movie out of that Sin City shitpile they can make a movie out of that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
pretty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it would probably turn out kinda like Legion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

it would probably turn out kinda like Legion

if you can capture that aesthetic on film i would just mute it and watch

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i have no idea what the comic was about and dont really remember anything about it other than the art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
just look at the comic imo