Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Aww you made it a little house :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Aww you made it a little house :3:

Whelp, that settles it. From now on I'm calling all rotary oil pans "dong houses".

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TLDR: Went racing with Apex of Failure (the Rx-8 previously pictured in this thread) and had a blast. More info later.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Is this the AI rotary thread? I don't understand the AI thread scheme haha.

Anyway, I bought this little gem on Friday and drove it ~300 km home from its hometown:

A 1983 RX-7. It's an auto with no power steering, no A/C, no power windows and no power from the 12A, but goddamn is it a joy to drive. I like that the lack of fuel cut and no computer override on the trans means I can still send it to 8,000 RPM in first and second gears (yeah it's a lovely 3-speed, and the gearing sucks). It's on 14 year old tires, but they're in good shape and it feels solidly planted no matter how hard I pitch it into a corner. Great handling and very little body roll, I love it.

This thing is a bit of a unicorn up here in Canada, an all original, all-numbers-matching rust-free specimen. I bought it from a classic car collector who by his own admission doesn't care about Japanese cars and only bought it from the previous owner to preserve its heritage. The car has a bit of a fun story: it was bought in 1983 at the Wallaceburg Mazda dealership, driven for a year, traded in, then the second owner did the same and bought it, owned it for 18 months and traded it in, all at the same dealership. Cumulatively they put about 8,000 km on it. In 1986 it was bought by a school teacher from the dealer, and she owned it for 33 years. She was known as the "cool old lady teacher" in town that drove around the old Japanese sports car in the warm months. It has never once been winter driven (that's purportedly, but just by looking at it, that's easy to believe), and has obviously been driven gingerly and babied its whole life. When I bought it, it had just over 90,000 km on it!

I guess the town has an annual "yard-sale" market type thing where everyone participates and does their spring cleaning, and it's a sort of town tradition. Well, in 2019, this lady decided it was finally time to sell the old girl. She threw a "for sale" sign in the window and parked it outside her house along with her table. She didn't want to sell it, but approaching 70, she could barely turn the wheel without the power steering, and her kids didn't think she should be driving around a car without crumple zones, airbags, or much of anything in the way of safety equipment. The collector, also with a reputation about the town (owner of ~19 cars and dwindling when I met him), seen it and decided to buy it on the spot, not wanting to let some young punk come along and despoil the car. He had some dreams of restoring the car and possibly giving it to the Mazda dealership it was originally sold at, but covid came along not long after and in his advancing age, the collector decided it was time to downsize the collection.

So I came along and snapped it up. I've been trying to buy Miatas for the past couple months, but it's hard to get a good one for a fair price around here right now. When I seen the FB I knew I had to have it. I rushed down, took a closer look (yep, looks as amazing as it did in the photos), and offered him on the spot. $6,500 CAD which I was more than happy to pay, along with a safety cert so I had it on the road immediately. Here are a few more pics: https://imgur.com/a/U7p6P78

When I was shopping for my old Japanese sports car (wasn't sure of what I wanted until I decided I wanted a Miata), I had these ideas that I'd be buying a problem car and doing a bit of tuner poo poo to it, respray it myself if I needed to, etc. But after finding and buying this one, I feel something of a responsibility to keep it antique status, as close to factory as I can. It needs a new exhaust soon-ish, which is its only troubled component, and I'm thinking I'll replace it with a full Racing Beat engine-back stock-port system. I'll be getting new rubber, but not sure if I want to go with some legacy 13" ones to keep the stock wheels on or get some 15" ones to modernize it. I know for sure I'll be doing a preventative rebuild of the engine (and maybe, MAYBE a mild-medium street port) which as far as I know has never been rebuilt. At the same time I'd like to swap the auto to a manual for my own personal enjoyment, but I'll definitely be keeping that auto in case I ever want to restore it to pure factory. Aside from that, I've been thinking maybe replace the suspension (shocks, springs, bushings and sway bars) with the RB stock-ish kit, but not much otherwise. I'm keeping the lovely 12A, I love the novelty of the carb that needs to be choked in cold starts, I love the roll up windows, I love the tape deck, just all of the anachronisms, and I want to keep it that way.

One minor thing that I haven't been able to easily track down through google searches (and I haven't spent too much time under the hood yet) is that after driving, I'm noticing a very small amount of what looks like engine oil on the front of the hood, where it hinges forward. Like just a few drops holding to the lip of the front of the hood. Does this jump out as a common symptom of a failing component to any of you rotary guys? It's holding oil pressure, I haven't noticed a significant oil loss in the ~700 km I've put on it, nothing really feels wrong with the car. I am absolutely driving the poo poo out of it, and it's now under more stress than it's probably ever been in its life, so maybe I popped some old worn rubber seal somewhere is what I've been thinking, just haven't gone hunting for it yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Is this the AI rotary thread? I don't understand the AI thread scheme haha.

Nope, it's Spyder's personal thread.

That said, neat FB (I have a '79) with a neat story!
Good on ya for driving it.

Only source for oil in front of the engine would be the oil cooler mounted under the radiator, so check it and the hoses to and from it.

The general rotary thread got locked long ago, I think.
You can post in the Post Your Ride thread or in the general Auto Insanity chat thread.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 26, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Good name for an rx8 team even if ls powered.

What did you think of the hankooks in the wet?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The front straight was nicknamed hydroplane alley. Our best driver (I'm waiting for someone to look closely at the photos and tell me who it is) for Saturday in the worst of the rain did a 2.08 and thought there was another ~7 seconds in the car after we fixed the blown rear bushings and adjusted the suspension.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

the spyder posted:

The front straight was nicknamed hydroplane alley. Our best driver (I'm waiting for someone to look closely at the photos and tell me who it is) for Saturday in the worst of the rain did a 2.08 and thought there was another ~7 seconds in the car after we fixed the blown rear bushings and adjusted the suspension.

Haha wow, I didn't even notice until you said but see the name on the suit. That's awesome.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Only source for oil in front of the engine would be the oil cooler mounted under the radiator, so check it and the hoses to and from it.

You can post in the Post Your Ride thread or in the general Auto Insanity chat thread.

Or even make your own thread. If you post it, radl will come!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

the spyder posted:

Do I see RP?! wowwww

Looks like a hell of a good time. Love being at the track

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Oops, sorry Spyder! I'll post this over in the post my ride thread for now, we'll see how much posting about it I do before I start a thread!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
All rotaries are welcome! Happy you found a clean looking car. Just be warned those 12A housings are like gold now when it comes time for a rebuild.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not sure what combination of alergies, exhaustion, work/life/family has got me so worn out - but I am just kaput. I need a sit on the couch for two days kinda weekend and that's not happening anytime soon. So time for a small break from cars and projects. It's spring, bees need tending, garden needs put in, and oh I still need to fix that god drat hole in my roof from the ice storm. Seeing as I'm not pulling $$$$ outta my butt any time soon for any of these awesome projects, they can wait while I do some cool non car stuff.

In the mean time, check out these random photos of mostly not cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Do I buy it?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Would you even be posting it if you weren't finding a way to buy it already?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Do you expect us to be anything but a bad influence?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just assume you bought it while waiting for the pictures to upload

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
hmm it doesnt have a windsor, so you should probably pass, op

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I can smell the interior of that car from here. its purchase better not delay further works on the porsche tho!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a removable hardtop on one of those. Definitely did not expect the rotary, though I guess I should have given whose thread I'm in.

Raluek posted:

hmm it doesnt have a windsor, so you should probably pass, op

You shut your mouth.
( I am conflicted on that detail, though, I admit.)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

the spyder posted:

Do I buy it?

Yes but only if you leave it carbed. :getin:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Backstory on this little Apline:
My friends dad has a knack for picking up random *things* for free/cheap. If they are actually cheap or not is up for interpretation. This 65 Sunbeam was found for ~$1,500 via friends of friends. He reached out to me, because Rotary. The car has minimal rust and was a former race car, last tech'd per the sticker in 1996. Its sat in a garage the last decade?+ after the owner became ill. The engine is a Pineapple build - 13B from a 74-78 REPU or RX-4(?). Rob's checking the serial for me.

I left some basic instructions - new battery, fluids, oil down the carb, crank it over by hand a few times. Flush the fuel and see what happens. If it's not a runner, I might "take it over" so that he's not in the red.

It needs love, but I'm really surprised how decent it is overall.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I mean seriously, that just seems like a hoot.

As if I'd say otherwise.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I do terribly want to drive something like that. “Only” a few hundred horses but weighs 2000 lbs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

I do terribly want to drive something like that. “Only” a few hundred horses but weighs 2000 lbs.

Probably closer to 150 HP, but yes. The original RX-7 is a hoot at 2500 lbs and 100 HP.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Car life has been boring lately.

But home improvement life has been crazy.

Remember that pesky tree that blew a hole in my home office buildings roof?

First you spend way too much money on overpriced lumber.

Then you regret cutting half way through.

But that view was worth it.

Tomorrow I attempt to frame a dormer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was just gonna say, you better be putting a dormer in that, that's the perfect excuse. Historical society is ok with it right? IIRC you said your place is historical or something.

I seriously regret not adding giant dormers to two of my bedrooms when I did the roof.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hole is now 20% larger after removing all the damaged sheathing, split rafters, and drywall.
:datass: The view is amazing. I decided to make it a three window, 30x36 dormer, because why not?
Only $250 more to buy ~10 pieces of wood to accommodate the change...

Definitely 1900's construction. Square nails and all.

We dropped off the registrar a few year ago when we built the shop - we're "inactive" and honestly I would not mind one bit if we stayed that way. The tax break is not worth the restrictions/requirements.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, seems like a gigantic pain in the rear end tbh. I was very glad my place was put down as an 1898 build in the database when they created it in 1998 (far as I can tell, specifically to avoid it being classed historical, town wanted tax revenue) rather than it's true age

Looks like it's gonna be a beautiful addition to the building!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So you responded to a hole in the roof by making a bigger hole? I like the cut of your jib.
:thumbsup:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Your comment is so spot on it's not funny.
My dad stopped by and asked why three windows, why not four?

Son of a bitch. Time for a larger hole.

I'm reframing for 4 windows now.

Happy Fathers Day!

I hosed up the 16 on center framing, I was going to have to pull the rafters down anyways to fix this. I kept saying, man 4 windows would look great here. He was just the tipping point. It's only peak of market lumber, who's counting anyways.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is going to be amazing and well worth it after

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is glass also crazy expensive right now, or just lumber?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The vinyl used for window frames and doors is unubtamium in western Canada, I hope that's not the case for the northwest of the US.

The (forced) renovations look amazing either way. Very very nice. Wish my home office had that view.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just read the entire thread from page 1. This thread has been one hell of a rollercoaster. From working on insane basket-cases, your brother flipping his Miata, your wife getting rammed by an old lady with a stuck throttle, the red Florida FD (whatever happened to that car anyway?), the fires, and the ice storm. This is an incredible thread and you should never stop posting.

Also, I have learned two important things:
1) Never bring a rotary to a normal mechanic. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.
2) Only bring your rotary to you or Rob Dahm (you two should do a collab.)

You should attempt to do an electric conversion one of these days. Don't worry, there are still triangles in them. :unsmith:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thankfully I know a glazer (commercial window installer). My glass and window needs are covered.

DoomtrainPHD, you'll love what I have planned for the Red 93 R1.

Car stuff:
Our F150 with the 5.4l 2v finally spat a spark plug out the head a few weeks back. At 370k, I can't complain. Pro tip - when people say only use motorcraft plugs and OEM coil packs (denso/MC) listen to them. I cheeped out last time and it cost me.

*Edit- I made this upload and then passed the heck out. I was cooked yesterday. I will add details later.

Yea I'm pretty sure there should be a coil pack in that open hole. I'll see if I have a picture of the last pieces. When it went, it went with a bang.

My research lead me to this kit. $280 (including lactate 266) - it's enough to do a full engine. I went this direction due to the fleet of these trucks in our family (4!).
The kit includes a nice reamer/drill, tap, depth stop, and tool to find when your valves are closed. Their video was also very helpful and the kit included decent instructions.

I ended up having to modify the included "regulator" (Crappy valve with no standard fittings...)

Insert the rubber plug into the cylinder. Add ~60psi of air. Rotate the motor using the crank pulley until the plug pops violently out of the head indicating the valves are closed.

You have to remove the skid plate to position the patched on the crank, but at ~370k some bolts want to stay - rotated it and just got enough room.

Crank until it pops.

The next steps are where I deviated from the instructions. I got the better of myself and used tacky red grease on the drill/tap. DO NOT DO THIS. I should have used WD40 as shown in their video. I spent an hour blowing out the now tacky chips from the CYL and surrounding area. A light lube would have made this much easier.

Drill lube.

Dirty Drill.

Tap lube.

Dirty Tap.

Instructions clearly say high quality air ratchet. This was all I had that would fit. It worked, but I would not recommend it. Plus there's no way it would fit those rear plugs.

The kit requires a modified blow gun. Here's what I used - some spare 3.5mm silicone hose on a flexzilla gun.

It's really important to get every chip out. Repeat this 10x until clean.

Here's after an hour. Last large chip I saw. I ended up washing down the area with WD40 and blowing that out, doing a quick solvent clean before installing the plug, letting that dry. Overall the red grease added ~2 hours to the job.

This time I went with Denso (OE) and Motorcraft plugs.

Here's the cool threadsert included with the kit. Once it's installed on the plug, you graciously apply loctite 266. Torque to 20ft-lb. Cure 6 hours.

All wrapped up. Decided to change the first plug/coil while I was in there on this side.

I've only got two plugs/coil packs done - so next up is changing the rest.
I started it after letting dry for 24 hours - it runs, but I've got a EVAP issue I started to troubleshoot and created a VAC leak. I'll test drive it after the new EVAP solenoid comes in.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 25, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Locktite on spark plugs, loving :lol:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Nah that’s for the insert to repair the threads that blew out. That’s the black part on the end of the plug.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Big Taint posted:

Nah that’s for the insert to repair the threads that blew out. That’s the black part on the end of the plug.

Oh god, thanks for the explanation. I was looking at this on my phone and couldn't figure out what the hell was up with the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh look. More out of order images. Thanks imgur!

Building update:
It was looking great.

Until it was decided it needed a 4th window. Now it's all torn back apart.

We found some carpenter ant damage and I ended up milling the roof rafter we removed to repair the top plate.

Wiring was found one more rafter over. Why I ran it like this 10 years ago I have no idea. Curses previous self.

Jeep update. In a push to fix my dying fleet of vehicles and take my wifes mind off her drying grandmother :( - bad year for grandmothers - I fixed the oil leak on the jeep with the help of my construction helper. We confirmed it was the oil filter housing. As much as I want to curse Chrysler - this was not that bad of a job.

I changed the intake manifold gaskets while I had it apart. Who ever was in here before did an awful job and multiple loose/missing fasteners were found.

Changed the plugs, not bad.

Next up is bedlining the interior.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 25, 2021