Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New first person dungeon crawler coming to Oculus
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4143574335654608/

I rolled my eyes when it says 'six schools of magic, 12 spells'. So... every school of magic has only two spells?
Then again it's cheap, only $9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I gave EmuVR a quick try with the lightgun stuff, it's awesome in that it's the only way i've seen to do emulated lightgun games in VR, but i'm not a fan of the focus of nostalgia-bathing instead of convenience, making you physically arrange consoles and hook them up and put in games. Just wireless streaming through oculus, there was some overshoot in the motion detection so it was hard to really feel 1:1 with shooting the screen, but it's really close. I'm gonna try with a few different streaming options and settings at some point. There seems to be ways to save room setups but i'd rather just have a simple, streamlined interface with the option for a full 3d experience. Still gonna try some netplay and goof around with friends another day though.

Considering it's free and a beta that works, 10/10

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 25, 2021

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Demeo is a lot of fun but the difficulty is either feast or famine on the luck of the card draw and rolls.

I think that's intentional, to ape the classic dungeon crawling game systems that it is a reference to, but it can be a bit frustrating to have a 40 minute game run end in disaster because your wizard drew three shield cards in a row or whatever.

Either way, I recommend it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Enos Cabell posted:

Has anyone heard if Google earth will ever come to the Q2? I got one for my parents this weekend and that would be the killer app for them. My dad's pc only has integrated video, so I doubt airlink is an option.

I had a conversation with the Tiltbrush guy when it went open source and as far as he knew the project was dead in the water with no one putting man hours on it. It strongly believe it's one API change from never working again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wasn't there that VR app being worked on that was like a big flat map you could walk up to in VR and scroll around a 3D map with other people for some reason? It's not quite google earth but thought that looked kinda similar.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

explosivo posted:

This is just the map from Death Stranding, right?

if it took 2½ minutes to walk through, yeah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VR isn't new any more so Google doesn't give a poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I rolled my eyes when it says 'six schools of magic, 12 spells'. So... every school of magic has only two spells?

There is that dungeon crawler roguelike, Ancient Dungeon that’s on App Lab that might be up your alley. Sounds similar but also not.

I had some fun with it and I don’t even like roguelikes or dungeon crawlers.

It’s free so why not

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/4897577166950223/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

I had a conversation with the Tiltbrush guy when it went open source and as far as he knew the project was dead in the water with no one putting man hours on it. It strongly believe it's one API change from never working again.

Well that's depressing, it's such a cool experience in VR.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is that dungeon crawler roguelike, Ancient Dungeon that’s on App Lab that might be up your alley. Sounds similar but also not.

I had some fun with it and I don’t even like roguelikes or dungeon crawlers.

It’s free so why not

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/4897577166950223/

I liked some of my time with Ancient Dungeon, but my stomach can't get over walking with an analog stick. I started just closing my eyes when I had to actually move the frame of reference. Is there any way to get over this or am I just one of the people that will barf in VR?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You will most likely get used to it in time, although I still find my stomach feels a little off in an almost indescribable way after using analogue motion. Not barfy, just... Off? Kind of? I dunno.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

anothergod posted:

I liked some of my time with Ancient Dungeon, but my stomach can't get over walking with an analog stick. I started just closing my eyes when I had to actually move the frame of reference. Is there any way to get over this or am I just one of the people that will barf in VR?

I think most people will tell you that "vr legs" is a very real thing that develops over time and I tend to agree to an extent. I'm not 100% able to play all these games without issue but I started out pretty much the same way as you and couldn't fathom being able to play without teleportation but with a few exceptions I'm pretty okay with it now. Like Doctor_Fruitbat said for me it becomes less of a barfy thing and more of an equilibrium thing now where I feel the need to balance myself constantly lest I fall over while zipping around in VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Risk Of Rain 2 VR mod.

Get it. Its really drat cool. You will probably need to download the controller config from steam on index, but after that, its pretty drat slick.

VR UI needs work. Warning.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Risk Of Rain 2 VR mod.

Get it. Its really drat cool. You will probably need to download the controller config from steam on index, but after that, its pretty drat slick.

Yeah, the UI framing is claustrophobic, and it will become much harder to see after picking up even just a couple of items, but it was insanely fun.

Trying it on the quest with virtual desktop made the compression noticeable, probably because the abundance of particle effects.

Index is the only controller that needs a config change in steam.

if this was polished just the tiniest bit? It would be a banger.

Multiplayer with flatscreen players is possible, too.

Download it now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EbolaIvory posted:

Risk Of Rain 2 VR mod.

Holy poo poo it has motion controls??

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah. It feels like a lot packed into the controllers but you get a hold of it pretty quickly if you're familiar with the game already.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I must have installed it wrong because when I started the game up via r2modman I had to sit through the intro (though I couldn't see anything but stars) and then I couldn't actually interact with the main menu. All I did was install r2modman then installed the required mods then the VR mod, is there a load order involved?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The menu doesn't work with pointer controls, you have to use the sticks to select up/down. If that was the issue

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And the next Valve hardware is...
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/exclusive-valve-is-making-a-switch-like-portable-gaming-pc/

Hey, I didn't say it was VR related!

Just wondering now how big is the hardware team at Valve. Will Vr take second place now?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/exclusive-valve-is-making-a-switch-like-portable-gaming-pc/

Just wondering now how big is the hardware team at Valve. Will Vr take second place now?

lmao

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lockback posted:

Holy poo poo it has motion controls??

Yup. They work REALLY well goo

forest spirit posted:

Yeah, the UI framing is claustrophobic, and it will become much harder to see after picking up even just a couple of items, but it was insanely fun.

Trying it on the quest with virtual desktop made the compression noticeable, probably because the abundance of particle effects.

Download it now

Yeah some modifiers make it ROUGH. Like "choose your own items" thing. Holy poo poo with that interface you're half dead every time.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Diephoon posted:

All I did was install r2modman then installed the required mods then the VR mod, is there a load order involved?

Is my mod order/list.

Have you run the game before in vanilla? That's the only thing I can think of.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

Gabe has a truly twisted drive to make gaming on Linux happen by any means.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Turin Turambar posted:

They really, really, really, really, really needed to have spent $5 on Fiverr to get somebody to give a decent trailer voice over.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

They really, really, really, really, really needed to have spent $5 on Fiverr to get somebody to give a decent trailer voice over.

Theres voice actors in the community that would do this poo poo for free.

It blows my mind the stuff that goes up for games.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
FYI for anybody thinking of releasing a game:

The trailer is often the first thing a prospective customer sees when they judge your game. It is what drives an impulse buy. Spending $25 for a great voice over can have a very large impact on your sales. It sounds like his mom was in the next room and he didn't want to be too loud. Just sticking with text would have been better.

My friend would do voice work in his lovely apartment and he would just scream and yell. gently caress the neighbors. It's not quiet time yet. You can't fake a loud voice so don't even try it. It just sounds so fake and people will instantly notice. You have to actually BE boisterous when doing voice work.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Diephoon posted:

I must have installed it wrong because when I started the game up via r2modman I had to sit through the intro (though I couldn't see anything but stars) and then I couldn't actually interact with the main menu. All I did was install r2modman then installed the required mods then the VR mod, is there a load order involved?

You need to run it flat screen first and create a profile. Then boot it up with the mod and you'll be able to press buttons to skip the cut scene. The exact same thing happened to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was able to show my parents VR for the first time on my G2, and much to my surprise they really enjoyed it. Was thinking about picking them up a Quest 2. Two questions -

1) How difficult is it to set up and use for a non-technical person? No Virtual Desktop link needed. I'll have to walk them through remotely.

2) What are the things worth getting them, elite strap? Anker charging base? I don't mind spending some money if it improves their experience.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

I was able to show my parents VR for the first time on my G2, and much to my surprise they really enjoyed it. Was thinking about picking them up a Quest 2. Two questions -

1) How difficult is it to set up and use for a non-technical person? No Virtual Desktop link needed. I'll have to walk them through remotely.

2) What are the things worth getting them, elite strap? Anker charging base? I don't mind spending some money if it improves their experience.

They will need a smart phone to set it up. The phone will walk them through what to do. I'm not sure if it will tell them how to set the IPD properly, though, so you could mention the three settings (58, 63, 68) and mention it works between the presets.

The elite strap is absolutely worth it. Not sure about the charging station.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Finally getting an Index after a year of saving up, excited to try Boneworks on an actual controller and not a Vive wand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

My friend would do voice work in his lovely apartment and he would just scream and yell. gently caress the neighbors. It's not quiet time yet. You can't fake a loud voice so don't even try it. It just sounds so fake and people will instantly notice. You have to actually BE boisterous when doing voice work.

That's what sound-dampening material is for.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Its super easy to setup. It pretty much holds your hand and if they can use a smart phone its straight forward.

Get them straps. Battery? eh. Debatable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thank you both.

It looks like the elite strap isn't compatible with the Anker charging base, so that's out.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 26, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Awesome, thank you both.

It looks like the elite strap isn't compatible with the Anker charging base, so that's out.

Huh?

I have the elite, and that weird amazon one, and the normal strap and all 3 sit in the anker dock fine.

assuming you mean this one

https://amzn.to/3bSWm71

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Huh?

I have the elite, and that weird amazon one, and the normal strap and all 3 sit in the anker dock fine.

assuming you mean this one

https://amzn.to/3bSWm71

Well then, I'm glad I posted that! I was misunderstanding and I guess the issue was with the Elite Strap + some sort of battery pack. Thanks for sharing that info!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Well then, I'm glad I posted that! I was misunderstanding and I guess the issue was with the Elite Strap + some sort of battery pack. Thanks for sharing that info!

Yeah the dock requires you to stick a thing in the usb c port to make the magnet dealio work. So you'd have to swap that thing out all the time.

Honestly, I think the built in battery is enough for normal peoples sessions and a battery on the side they could shove in "jsut in case" would be best.

No problem, happy to help

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Finally getting an Index after a year of saving up, excited to try Boneworks on an actual controller and not a Vive wand.

It’s good. Welcome friend

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

forest spirit posted:

Download it now

Do Flatscreen players need to have the VR Mod installed as well? I just want to know to avoid mismatch. And does it play with modded characters? I've played some and Engineer/Commando was fine, but Huntress was a NIGHTMARE to play, especially since you hold and launch the glaive with your right hand, but aim only with your right. And the aiming is much tighter than m+kb, which really doesn't work for Huntress.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Nalin posted:

I'm not sure if it will tell them how to set the IPD properly, though, so you could mention the three settings (58, 63, 68) and mention it works between the presets.

What do you mean, works between the presets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

chippy posted:

What do you mean, works between the presets?

you can push them into in between positions to get a closer IPD match and it'll stay in place ok (you can buy spacers to hold them in place too)