Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Darchangel posted:

How long before someone comes up with something to shoot lightning at coal rollers, I wonder? :D
Someone in the AI chat thread suggested a Jacob's Ladder apparatus in the bed of the F-150 Lightning to compensate for the inability to roll coal, perhaps tied into the regenerative braking. The EV equivalent of pops and burbles on decel from an old school ICE.
Silly, but fun to think about.

If the goal is "ways to annoy other drivers and create possibly unsafe conditions", I want to point out that you could run a whoooooole lot of xenon strobe lights off a 150kWh battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

It should solve the braking for bridges / overpasses issue at the least. I wonder if it's related to the parts shortages everyone is currently experiencing, as the China and EU models will still have radar (presumably they have regulatory bodies that function better than the NHTSA). I forgot to add that Tesla also said:
https://www.tesla.com/support/transitioning-tesla-vision

quote:

Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.

This just smacks of cost cutting via safety reduction. They wouldn't keep buying any radar units if they didn't make things better.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

cruft posted:

If the goal is "ways to annoy other drivers and create possibly unsafe conditions", I want to point out that you could run a whoooooole lot of xenon strobe lights off a 150kWh battery.

Somebody on a Land Cruiser group was advertising 90,000W LED running lights for sale. Those would probably do the job.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Or just mount a kW range laser on the car, that way in addition to blinding everyone permanently you can actually set the vehicle rolling coal on fire.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This just smacks of cost cutting via safety reduction. They wouldn't keep buying any radar units if they didn't make things better.

I suspect semiconductor related. This is pretty consistent with the approach taken by other manufacturers. Mix of entire production stoppages or removing technology to reduce requirements:

Truth About Cars posted:

With everything from toasters to televisions being hit by the semiconductor shortage, there’s seemingly no limit to how bad things can get. But it’s the automotive industry that’s unquestionably taking the most severe beating. We doubt it will be long before industry giants begin requesting financial assistance from local governments.

In the interim, manufacturers are reducing the amount of technology that’s been going into vehicles. Ram has cut the fancy, intelligent rear-view mirror from the 1500 pickup and Nissan has made navigational systems optional equipment on some vehicles that previously included it. But these are just a couple of examples from an industry that’s cutting corners the world over to help mitigate the crisis.

Full story here: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/05/report-semiconductor-chip-shortage-could-affect-4-million-vehicles/

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Darchangel posted:

How long before someone comes up with something to shoot lightning at coal rollers, I wonder? :D
Someone in the AI chat thread suggested a Jacob's Ladder apparatus in the bed of the F-150 Lightning to compensate for the inability to roll coal, perhaps tied into the regenerative braking. The EV equivalent of pops and burbles on decel from an old school ICE.
Silly, but fun to think about.

Honestly these days I try and just roll my eyes and realize that someone who pays money just so they can be an rear end in a top hat to a complete stranger isn’t really worth a moment of my time. I do like where you’re heads at though!

I plugged in a route for getting to my parents place in Colorado from Portland, OR based on a Rivian and the entire trip would only take around 3 hours of total charge time. That’s 17+ hours of driving so I would probably be taking that much of a break plus a layover anyway. Super excited at how rapidly the technology is advancing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RZA Encryption posted:

They may have contractual obligations for radar units, in which case it makes sense to not make changes to S and X assembly and only make changes to the higher volume models.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I mean, it could be anything. Maybe it's easier to retool the assembly process for M3 and MY because those are anymore highly automated. Maybe there's this one guy named Hal who understands how the radar cable is routed on MS and MX, and he was out on vacation in Wyoming a few weeks ago so he couldn't rework the assembly process document. Maybe a chicken got stuck in this one room in the Freemont factory where they would remold the front bumper part, and they're still waiting for a cleaning crew to get the smell out before they redesign it to not have a radar.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

cruft posted:

I mean, it could be anything. Maybe it's easier to retool the assembly process for M3 and MY because those are anymore highly automated. Maybe there's this one guy named Hal who understands how the radar cable is routed on MS and MX, and he was out on vacation in Wyoming a few weeks ago so he couldn't rework the assembly process document. Maybe a chicken got stuck in this one room in the Freemont factory where they would remold the front bumper part, and they're still waiting for a cleaning crew to get the smell out before they redesign it to not have a radar.

Who makes the MY? BMW makes the M3, is the MY a new BMW coming out?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Model 3 and Model Y are both Teslas.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrLogan posted:

:dadjoke:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BMW should make an electric M3 just to gently caress with you guys even more.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Introducing the Tesla III

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

cruft posted:

Introducing the Tesla III

New pics just leaked of the T3.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There's rumors of an iM2 running around so BMW has already hosed this up.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1132046_bmw-im2-1-341-hp-electric-m2-reportedly-in-the-works

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tesla 3-series

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There's enough precedent that they could get away with it. Lexus still sells an entire model line of RX cars despite Mazda also having done the same previously; and for a brief period at the same time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kronix posted:

There's rumors of an iM2 running around so BMW has already hosed this up.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1132046_bmw-im2-1-341-hp-electric-m2-reportedly-in-the-works

loving Christ BMW, the “BMW MW” was right there.

Alternately, “BMW

Almost anything is better than iM2. Sounds like a loving toaster.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It sounds like a codename for an instant messenger from 2000

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bavarian MegaWatt

I DONT EVEN HAVE A MARKETING DEGREE HOW ARE THEY THIS BAD AT THIS GAME

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrYenko posted:

loving Christ BMW, the “BMW MW” was right there.

Alternately, “BMW

Almost anything is better than iM2. Sounds like a loving toaster.
gently caress steve jobs for cursing the world with that dumbass "i" prefix for everything vaguely tech

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nah, gently caress everybody else for not being creative.

BMW could easily name the car the voltage of the battery pack and it would be fine. Or the KWh rating of the battery. “Oh, you have the 150 series? Peasant. I have the 300.”

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It follows their existing naming scheme, I really don't get the issue with it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Came across these today on reddit:

Skateboard powering this thing:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 26, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, I hate it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hot drat that frunk is ginormous.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Came across these today on reddit:

best feature

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I hope that skateboard allows a new cabover Econoline. Perfect for tradesfolks.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Why does it have a glory hole?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It still has the carbon monoxide warning stickers from the hybrid model, lol.

Edit:

Advent Horizon posted:

It's literally the volume knob, which is just a thing glued onto the screen that I guess has a capacitive surface. Mach e has the same.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I hope that skateboard allows a new cabover Econoline. Perfect for tradesfolks.

Thats what the new E-Transit is for. 126ish miles.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Or just mount a kW range laser on the car, that way in addition to blinding everyone permanently you can actually set the vehicle rolling coal on fire.

"Well, they were rolling coal. I'm just helping!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

So that whoever you captured in your frunk can suck you off, duh

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Love the frunk, hate the ipad

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hate the truck

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

Fame Douglas posted:

Hate the truck

We get it. It's not for everyone.

For me, with acreage just outside the main city center and a downtown office - this checks all the boxes I need. Daily commute (whatever that looks like with WFH/Covid). Long enough mileage to visit parents or head to the coast. Big enough towing capacity for my stupid ICE cars. Decent sized bed with room for lumber or steel yard trips. And I can plug my house into it when we have a multi hour power outage? Sold.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, didn't realize I'm only allowed to post an opinion on yet another huge truck that conforms to yours. Seems like most Americans need to haul lumber and steel constantly, and require pickup trucks to do this! I wonder how the rest of the world manages.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Really liking this Seat or Cupra or Seat Cupra. Cupra Born, apparently.

Play around with colors here: https://www.cupraofficial.com/cars/cupra-range/born.html

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Really liking this Seat or Cupra or Seat Cupra. Cupra Born, apparently.

Play around with colors here: https://www.cupraofficial.com/cars/cupra-range/born.html

I wonder if it's more aerodynamic than the ID4. It's more swooshy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not as high tech as the UK one featured on Fully Charged a while back, but this charging station seems really cool. Vacuum cleaner is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TVohXHjLro

People already spend plenty of money on hot dogs and candy bars while getting gas, they'll spend more when they have 20-30 minutes to kill. Which I think many people and this(these) threads have been saying for years.