Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Night Watch, for me, is peak Pratchett. And It's not really trying to be very funny at all.

All the little angels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I love Night Watch. When I first read Discworld as a teenager I had the sense that it was going somewhere, that there was a specific climax focusing on the rulership of Ankh Morpork that Pratchett was building towards. Later I realized that wasn't really the point, and that it was more about using his characters to satirize different aspects of our world. But Night Watch definitely feels like the climax to Vimes' arc.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

buffalo all day posted:

How is it possible that I've been reading this thread for several years and never knew that the Goblin Emperor author wrote a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in an alt-London that has vampires, werewolves, robotic cerberuses, angels that work as basically the guiding/protective spirit of a place and a trans Watson.

Looked this up and it's today's Kindle deal in the UK, I'd never have noticed it otherwise so thanks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088KQY...rd_i=5400977031

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ccs posted:

Yeah I love Night Watch. When I first read Discworld as a teenager I had the sense that it was going somewhere, that there was a specific climax focusing on the rulership of Ankh Morpork that Pratchett was building towards. Later I realized that wasn't really the point, and that it was more about using his characters to satirize different aspects of our world. But Night Watch definitely feels like the climax to Vimes' arc.

After having kids, though, I identify the most with late-period Vimes.

THAT! IS! NOT! MY! COW!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bagrada posted:

I'm trying to remember if I've ever laughed at loud at a book as an adult.
There was exactly one sentence in Confederacy of Dunces that made me bark a single sharp laugh out loud while on a bus, it was embarrassing but it was also hilarious so I didn't care

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

How is it possible that I've been reading this thread for several years and never knew that the Goblin Emperor author wrote a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in an alt-London that has vampires, werewolves, robotic cerberuses, angels that work as basically the guiding/protective spirit of a place and a trans Watson.

Crashbee posted:

Looked this up and it's today's Kindle deal in the UK, I'd never have noticed it otherwise so thanks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088KQY...rd_i=5400977031

Ok I feel less bad now that someone else confessed. Definitely worth it at that price (basically free). I feel like it should get more...attention? The Angel dynamic is pretty interesting.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

quote is not edit

taking advantage to add that in addition to including her spin on a number of holmes mysteries (study in scarlet, sign of four, copper beeches) it also has jack the ripper. there's a lot going on.

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 25, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Groke posted:

Night Watch, for me, is peak Pratchett. And It's not really trying to be very funny at all.

All the little angels...

And it's still 25 May in some time zones, so today is the proper day to read it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

quote is not edit

taking advantage to add that in addition to including her spin on a number of holmes mysteries (study in scarlet, sign of four, copper beeches) it also has jack the ripper. there's a lot going on.

It's gotta be better than Anno Dracula, right?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Ccs posted:

No, the problem of Vetinari's successor is a very real thread through the back half of the series. It's just that Pratchett never solved it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHHQRM2/

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

The hardest I've ever laughed at a book was one of Mick Foley's where he and Stone Cold Steve Austin shove chocolate chip cookies in Diamond Dallas Page's bed. I have no idea why it's so funny but I'm laughing thinking about it now and I read the book 20 years ago.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm 10 chapters into The Blacktongue Thief right now and enjoying it. It's really luxuriating in the world building though, I would have expected the protagonist to be off on the quest with the knight he meets in the first few pages by chapter two or three. Instead it's spending some time on foreshadowing and wandering around a town and getting into minor scrapes that are solved by the Takers Guild being more connected than Kinch assumed. Because of the amount of time Kinch spends worry about his student loans it's hard not to compare this story to the only other fantasy series that spent an inordinate amount of time on school debt. There's certainly a lot of talk of different sorts of coins and cultures. But the stakes are higher here, both for what happens if the debt isn't repaid as well as from the supernatural and encroaching threat to human civilization. It helps that Buehlman is coming to his first fantasy series with 6 novels already under his belt; I have faith he'll deliver a proper story because he's done it so many times before.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

thumper57 posted:

The hardest I've ever laughed at a book was one of Mick Foley's where he and Stone Cold Steve Austin shove chocolate chip cookies in Diamond Dallas Page's bed. I have no idea why it's so funny but I'm laughing thinking about it now and I read the book 20 years ago.

That's cause imaging DDP losing his poo poo over cookies is, and was, and will always be hilarious. I loved that book.

My laugh out loud books have been mostly the story collections of Patrick G. Macmanus. I dunno why, maybe cause he grew up the way my parents did, but some of the stories are hilarious.

Carpet Diem had me laughing out loud with the "Nipples!" "No I wasn't!" exchange. Weird that the author followed up a comedic adventure kind of book with a straight up fantasy, but it turned out really good.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read The Golden Age by John C. Wright, The Last Legends of Earth by A.A. Attanasio, or the Neverness books by David Zindell? All have lots of enthusiastic and negative reviews, which makes it really uncertain whether I should give them a chance. People throw out Gene Wolfe comparisons a lot, which could either be a good or a bad thing.

I'm quite surprised to see it mentioned here, but I really enjoyed The Last Legends of Earth, enough that I went out and found a pretty Easton Press edition; I took my username from it. At the same time, I can easily see why it would have both strong negative and positive reviews. It combines a bold and beautiful high-level sweep with some clumsy low-level bits (although to be fair it's been a while since I last read it and I might feel differently if I tackled it again).

I really think it's worth reading if you're adventurous, as there are some wonderful ideas within it. There's a central premise reminiscent of Farmer's Riverworld, but it's really its own book (and despite being sometimes stated as book four of a series, you don't need the other three to understand this one; the linkages are more thematic/conceptual). It's stuck with me for thirty years.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 26, 2021

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have any opinions on this one? I feel like I've had Wexler recommended to me a bunch of times, but I don't remember which books or why.

It was ok, a brother and sister end up on different sides of a war but can't remember much else.

Better than the other recent ya series about wizards trapped on a magic oil tanker (not good despite that sentence) by him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat, The Apocalypse Seven by Gene Doucette is out this week.

He writes some interesting stuff. Love his immortals series, but his last couple of independent books (meaning not associated with any other "metaverse" he writes) were pretty good. This one sounds fun, at least. Unfiction was pretty unique but I felt it was kinda a weird, out of left field ending.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hi, help identify a book time.

From a few years ago.

Fantasy novel

Two lead characters, bit of a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser dynamic going on.

One of them is a golem like character (that used to be human, but was remade)

The other an ex-soldier with a vaguely Janissary type background, including having (if memory serves) a musket.

It starts with them travelling with a caravan that's attacked by basically a wyvern.

Then they get involved with a plot involving a small kingdom being invaded by a larger power and the main plot kicks off from there.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Groke posted:

All the little angels...

Night Watch is absolutely his best work, and a culmination of everything he built towards in the Watch series about being both a police officer and a citizen; the concept of Vimes as an anti-authoritarian authority figure, in the way he opens up the Watch House to the citizenry on the night of the riots and ultimately has the Watch participate in the revolution - it's really great stuff. The idea that Vimes' loyalty isn't to the badge, or to the Watch, but to the people, and even fully acknowledging how difficult and problematic that is (his quote about "the people" from Night Watch is easily the most widely quoted piece of Pratchett's writing I see).

I kind of wish he'd ended it there - Thud is good (or at least has really, really good moments) and Snuff is fine, but they don't begin to compare.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Hi, help identify a book time.

From a few years ago.

Fantasy novel

Two lead characters, bit of a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser dynamic going on.

One of them is a golem like character (that used to be human, but was remade)

The other an ex-soldier with a vaguely Janissary type background, including having (if memory serves) a musket.

It starts with them travelling with a caravan that's attacked by basically a wyvern.

Then they get involved with a plot involving a small kingdom being invaded by a larger power and the main plot kicks off from there.

On my phone so I'm not gonna search a title but that's by Elizabeth Bear.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

With fritz's info I think I've pinned this down to 'Stone in the Skull' which is part of the Lotus Kingdoms trilogy.

Amazon blurb:
The Gage is a brass automaton created by a wizard of Messaline around the core of a human being. His wizard is long dead, and he works as a mercenary. He is carrying a message from the most powerful sorcerer of Messaline to the Rajni of the Lotus Kingdom. With him is The Dead Man, a bitter survivor of the body guard of the deposed Uthman Caliphate, protecting the message and the Gage. They are friends, of a peculiar sort.

They are walking into a dynastic war between the rulers of the shattered bits of a once great Empire.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

No worries:)

Also I put it on my wishlist because it sounds good.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished volume 1 of Two of Swords. It did a good job getting me interested in the set-up, excited to see where it goes over the next 2. Also to read other KJ Parker books :haibrower:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just finished the first book in his Fencer trilogy, Colours in the Steel. It was pretty good but I'm not sure I want to continue. Reviews say the second book is aimless and there were a lot of moments that felt like missed opportunities for drama or more insight into the characters. Lots of very detailed descriptions of engineering and fencing though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ccs posted:

I just finished the first book in his Fencer trilogy, Colours in the Steel. It was pretty good but I'm not sure I want to continue. Reviews say the second book is aimless and there were a lot of moments that felt like missed opportunities for drama or more insight into the characters. Lots of very detailed descriptions of engineering and fencing though.

Hmm. That leaves me torn. The first thing you say makes it sound not that interesting to me, but "detailed descriptions of engineering" sounds exactly like one of my two favorite things in a Parker novel.

I don't suppose there's anything about the Studium or the Rooms in that book, is there?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Hmm. That leaves me torn. The first thing you say makes it sound not that interesting to me, but "detailed descriptions of engineering" sounds exactly like one of my two favorite things in a Parker novel.

I don't suppose there's anything about the Studium or the Rooms in that book, is there?

There is a magic system, rare for a Parker novel. It's not the Studium but the Order, where they study something called "The Principle" which involves reading a lot of natural philosophy and trying to figure out some very obscure concepts. What the actual magic involves is basically dreaming of something that will happen in the future and changing the outcome. There are also "naturals" who can influence fate without consciously meaning to, things just seem to go their way.

The magic system plays a fairly pivotal role in the book but it comes at the detriment of character arcs. You're never quite sure if things are happening because of fate or because the character really meant to do something. Also one huge missed opportunity happens during a pivotal fencing match where more words are spent talking about whether magic is influencing the outcome instead of what the characters are feeling. I got really annoyed at that part, it was like the climax of the book was happening at a distance.

All that said, it's still good. I have other quibbles with character motivations but to say them would be a spoiler.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Senlin Ascends (Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M62D7Y/

The Novels of Samuel R. Delany Volume One: Babel-17, Nova, and Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand by Samuel R Delany - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KWTQNG/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Senlin Ascends (Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M62D7Y/
I enjoyed the first two of these books but not enough to spend money on the third, so I can't say if I really recommend it or not

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I enjoyed the first two of these books but not enough to spend money on the third, so I can't say if I really recommend it or not

I was already formulating this exact post in my head before I read down to your post. They were fun and ok, but I just stopped caring around the end of book 2 and I can’t explain why very well.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've never read it but I've always though it's the most aesthetically (phonetically?) pleasing title I've ever heard.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

freebooter posted:

I've never read it but I've always though it's the most aesthetically (phonetically?) pleasing title I've ever heard.

It always makes me think of Conrad Aiken's "The Morning Song of Senlin" -- which might be where Bancroft got the name, for all I know.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

freebooter posted:

I know the name from 'Morning Song of Senlin' which is I think extracted from a longer poem called 'Senlin: A Biography'. Notable for containing quite a few scifi book titles in it.

e: beaten soundly but here's the poem in case you wanna see it

Conrad Aiken posted:

IT is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,
I arise, I face the sunrise,
And do the things my fathers learned to do.
Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
And I myself on a swiftly tilting planet
Stand before a glass and tie my tie.

Vine leaves tap my window,
Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
The robin chips in the chinaberry tree
Repeating three clear tones.

It is morning. I stand by the mirror
And tie my tie once more.
While waves far off in a pale rose twilight
Crash on a white sand shore.
I stand by a mirror and comb my hair:
How small and white my face!--
The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
And bathes in a flame of space.
There are houses hanging above the stars
And stars hung under a sea. . .
And a sun far off in a shell of silence
Dapples my walls for me. . .

It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
Should I not pause in the light to remember God?
Upright and firm I stand on a star unstable,
He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
I will dedicate this moment before my mirror
To him alone, and for him I will comb my hair.
Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
I will think of you as I descend the stair.

Vine leaves tap my window,
The snail-track shines on the stones,
Dew-drops flash from the chinaberry tree
Repeating two clear tones.

It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
The walls are about me still as in the evening,
I am the same, and the same name still I keep.
The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,
The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
In a whistling void I stand before my mirror,
Unconcerned, I tie my tie.

There are horses neighing on far-off hills
Tossing their long white manes,
And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk,
Their shoulders black with rains. . .

It is morning. I stand by the mirror
And surprise my soul once more;
The blue air rushes above my ceiling,
There are suns beneath my floor. . .

. . . It is morning, Senlin says, I ascend from darkness
And depart on the winds of space for I know not where,
My watch is wound, a key is in my pocket,
And the sky is darkened as I descend the stair.
There are shadows across the windows, clouds in heaven,
And a god among the stars; and I will go
Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
And humming a tune I know. . .

Vine-leaves tap at the window,
Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
Repeating three clear tones.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lmao at the authors note at the end of angel of crows

usually you have an authors note at the beginning of the book. but here the authors note says basically "true fanfic lovers know wingfic is an offshoot of the form that gives all the characters wings. this book started off as wingfic of sherlock holmes"

so they put it at the end of the book. they tricked me !!!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

buffalo all day posted:

lmao at the authors note at the end of angel of crows

usually you have an authors note at the beginning of the book. but here the authors note says basically "true fanfic lovers know wingfic is an offshoot of the form that gives all the characters wings. this book started off as wingfic of sherlock holmes"

so they put it at the end of the book. they tricked me !!!
That owns and I'm glad to see more authors open up about being weird fanfic goblins.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I really wanna change my username to Weird Fanfic Goblin.

So I went back and dug into The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart because I guess I should finish things I conspicuously dropped without reason.

Hoooooooly poo poo man. Whoever said it goes places, you weren’t kidding. I did not expect bad trips on ergot, mouth covered homunculi, and shifting POVs. I can’t wait to see the bros get hosed. They’ve established quite a rogues gallery of enemies at this point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That owns and I'm glad to see more authors open up about being weird fanfic goblins.

I mean Taz Muir has made no secret of it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finally the crossover we've all been waiting for:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1397975897744027651?s=19

Fortnite and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series together at last.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

Finally the crossover we've all been waiting for:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1397975897744027651?s=19

Fortnite and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series together at last.

Can't turn out worse than the Fortnite/Star Wars crossover did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright that's gonna be kind of funny to see Sanderson characters killing me in fortnite.