Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The point here is you might say this about any place in the world, considering the actual situation in eastern Europe. Any place can become a fascist state after a devastating calamity. Eastern Europe has right wing problems, as does the rest of Europe, the US or Brazil.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/sernique_/status/1397512921320656902?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To interrupt the Nazi chat for a moment, looks like the flight restrictions kicked in lol

Originally to Barcelona I think. As funny as it is though I'm glad I'm not on that flight

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If I was q dissident living in exile of a fascist state with a lunatic at the helm, I would not get on a plane if I had shady dudes following me around an airport taking pictures of me qnd then boarding my plane

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Somaen posted:

See, this is way more nuanced than the stinkers you usually drop in threads

There is a problem with the far-right in Ukraine, but that is a general, fairly insignificant problem of all Eastern European states.

No need to limit to Eastern. Heard of the AFD? LePen?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Turns out that flight went back because France closed their airspace

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OddObserver posted:

No need to limit to Eastern. Heard of the AFD? LePen?

yes but EE fascists don't use the soft, rounded symbols of western fascists

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Vasukhani posted:

No. I'm pointing out how stupid the idea of bombing loving belarus is, not only stupid, but literally impossible.
Belarus has a population smaller than Honduras and an economy smaller than the Dominican Republic. Its military equipment is older than (reunified) Germany. So clearly I'm blind as to what makes Belarus such a military powerhouse. What is it? It is the hats? Tell me it's the hats.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Epinephrine posted:

Belarus has a population smaller than Honduras and an economy smaller than the Dominican Republic. Its military equipment is older than (reunified) Germany. So clearly I'm blind as to what makes Belarus such a military powerhouse. What is it? It is the hats? Tell me it's the hats.

Russia will intervene.

EDIT: Also, the original point that no european state (except potentially France, Greece and Poland) has the military capacity to intervene in another nation without NATO support is absolutely true. It's the exact reason why there's so much work being done in the EU post-Trump to form some kind of overlapping military organization that isn't NATO. Most member states have soldiers, tech, boats, planes and missiles but their actual capacity to wage conflicts is very low. A EU member state trying to waddle into russian puppet state would end very badly for everyone involved.

EDIT2: I'll go one step further. France is the only member state with any real capacity for intervening in states not on their border. The rest are firmly dependent on US support and logistics for doing almost anything.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 26, 2021

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Russia will intervene.
Yes well of course, but that wasn't the original claim. The original claim was this [EDIT: it was not that Belarus was safe because Russia safeguarded, it was that the Belarus military could make short work of any other European military, which implies no Russian intervention]:

Vasukhani posted:

Who? The Belarusians could probably make short work of every European military besides the Poles and well, Americans. European countries are very weak and have limited soveirgnty.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Russia will intervene.

EDIT: Also, the original point that no european state (except potentially France, Greece and Poland) has the military capacity to intervene in another nation without NATO support is absolutely true. It's the exact reason why there's so much work being done in the EU post-Trump to form some kind of overlapping military organization that isn't NATO. Most member states have soldiers, tech, boats, planes and missiles but their actual capacity to wage conflicts is very low. A EU member state trying to waddle into russian puppet state would end very badly for everyone involved.

EDIT2: I'll go one step further. France is the only member state with any preparation for intervening in states not on their border.

France and Italy are intervening all over the place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OddObserver posted:

France and Italy are intervening all over the place.

lol I said France in your very quote. Also, what are you thinking of when you say Italy? Migrant policing and being part of NATO detachments doesn't amount to much.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

lol I said France in your very quote. Also, what are you thinking of when you say Italy? Migrant policing and being part of NATO detachments doesn't amount to much.

Libya at least, but I also think a bunch of other spots in Africa, if I am not confusing myself?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT2: I'll go one step further. France is the only member state with any real capacity for intervening in states not on their border. The rest are firmly dependent on US support and logistics for doing almost anything.
OK yeah I think we're confusing the premise here. The claim that Belarus could make short work of any European country (besides Poland) was in response to the suggestion that the EU lob a few cruise missiles at Belarusian air bases in retaliation, not launch a full scale invasion of Belarus:

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe fire a few cruise missiles and destroy a few parked Belarusian MIGs? That's probably too drastic and I doubt Russia would take that lightly. It seems like any measured response I can think of basically points to what the EU is already doing.
And in that context, the claim isn't merely that Belarus would be tough to invade, it's that the Belarus military is straight up more powerful than anyone else to the extent that Europe fears the chad Belarus armed forces.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MiddleOne posted:

Russia will intervene.

I know it's semantics, but the UK is a European state, even if it isn't in the EU anymore, and it most certainly is able to intervene in another nation without NATO support.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Epinephrine posted:

OK yeah I think we're confusing the premise here. The claim that Belarus could make short work of any European country (besides Poland) was in response to the suggestion that the EU lob a few cruise missiles at Belarusian air bases in retaliation, not launch a full scale invasion of Belarus:
And in that context, the claim isn't merely that Belarus would be tough to invade, it's that the Belarus military is straight up more powerful than anyone else to the extent that Europe fears the chad Belarus armed forces.

Well I mean sure. Then Belarus shells one of its neighbors in retaliation, Putin has his fig-leaf to intervene and then Belarus is Russia. Or worse, you have an actual war.

OddObserver posted:

Libya at least, but I also think a bunch of other spots in Africa, if I am not confusing myself?

Most (All? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) are NATO detachments or migrant policing activities.

Torrannor posted:

I know it's semantics, but the UK is a European state, even if it isn't in the EU anymore, and it most certainly is able to intervene in another nation without NATO support.

I think it's pretty safe to say that post-Brexit UK is not intervening in mainland affairs anytime soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why are we even talking about this? Nobody is invading Belarus, it's just that unimportant and irrelevant

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is such a pointless debate, you know. You don't have to do this. No one is invading or bombing Belarus. Oh, uh, except Hamas of course...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poland closed its airspace for Belarusian carriers, took long enough. Its weak sauce anyway, all air traffic handling in and out of BY to the EU should be halted to stop Belarus from earning overflight fees.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

mobby_6kl posted:

Why are we even talking about this? Nobody is invading Belarus, it's just that unimportant and irrelevant

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Epinephrine posted:

Yes well of course, but that wasn't the original claim. The original claim was this [EDIT: it was not that Belarus was safe because Russia safeguarded, it was that the Belarus military could make short work of any other European military, which implies no Russian intervention]:

It absolutely could considering most countries would run out of forces after a day or two of bombing. No country in Europe, besides France/Poland and yes the UK, could even do the type of US/Israel bombing where they ignore airdefences. A cold war platform will bring down a cold war era NATO plane.

Nenonen posted:

This is such a pointless debate, you know. You don't have to do this. No one is invading or bombing Belarus. Oh, uh, except Hamas of course...

Yes. My point was whoever was suggesting that doesn't understand that EU countries have less sovereignty in International Affairs due to little/no ability to project force.

Epinephrine posted:

Belarus has active air defense could bring down most EU air forces. There is no US or Israel style force that can intervene without fear of retaliation.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

More sanctions coming. Apparently Belarus is what they call a "fertilizer superpower" in the business and most of the industry is state owned. Stock up on potash.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-26/eu-may-sanction-belarus-s-potash-industry-by-this-summer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GABA ghoul posted:

More sanctions coming. Apparently Belarus is what they call a "fertilizer superpower" in the business and most of the industry is state owned. Stock up on potash.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-26/eu-may-sanction-belarus-s-potash-industry-by-this-summer

Thanks for confirming Belarus is full of poo poo.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

It absolutely could considering most countries would run out of forces after a day or two of bombing. No country in Europe, besides France/Poland and yes the UK, could even do the type of US/Israel bombing where they ignore airdefences. A cold war platform will bring down a cold war era NATO plane.
Yes. My point was whoever was suggesting that doesn't understand that EU countries have less sovereignty in International Affairs due to little/no ability to project force.
Belarus has active air defense could bring down most EU air forces. There is no US or Israel style force that can intervene without fear of retaliation.

:lmao: Please stop doing whatever it is you are doing, it's one thing to stan for China or some other actually somewhat powerful dictatorship, but trying to talk up Chad Belarus is the weirdest form of bootlicking I've seen in a while

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

barbecue at the folks posted:

:lmao: Please stop doing whatever it is you are doing, it's one thing to stan for China or some other actually somewhat powerful dictatorship, but trying to talk up Chad Belarus is the weirdest form of bootlicking I've seen in a while

Dude literally every european country outside of maybe the baltic and micronations could successfully defend its airspace by itself against another European. It's not chad loving belarus. I'm pushing back on the idea that european states are even capable of behaving like the US.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vasukhani, PLEASE stop. Just stop. No one cares if Lukashenka has the biggest, hardest dick in all of Europe.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If Georgian air defenses could create serious issues for the Russians, (https://web.archive.org/web/20090327235047/http://www.cast.ru/eng/comments/?id=328)I highly doubt Romanian and Lithuanian planes or whatever would be able to blow poo poo up in Belarus without also dying. Unless you genuinly believe a loving strategic bombing campaign won't strengthen lukashenko and assure the military supports him. It has nothing to do with Belarus being strong, and everything to do with European states lacking the fundamental capacity to behave like superpowers.

quote:

Russian aviation attempted to accomplish these objectives, but immediately lost three Sukhoi Su-25 ground-attack aircraft to Georgian anti-air fire. After that, according to eyewitness accounts, there were no Russian aircraft over Tskhinvali on August 8 or the following day that is. during the most critical period of the conflict. In effect, the Russian military command was forced to bring motor-rifle units into battle from the march, without first gaining superiority in numbers and firepower.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 26, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nenonen posted:

Vasukhani, PLEASE stop. Just stop. No one cares if Lukashenka has the biggest, hardest dick in all of Europe.

We could have invaded disguised as Hockey tourists if it weren't for those goddam Covid restrictions.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is some strange theorycrafting bullshit.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mokotow posted:

This is some strange theorycrafting bullshit.

I'm not the one who suggested bombing belarus lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Who would win in a fist fight between Putin and Kadyrov? Sure Kadyrov is heavier and younger, but Putin has KGB training. Which Russian governors could Putin definitely beat up?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

I'm not the one who suggested bombing belarus lol

No, you're just an innocent sealion.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

GABA ghoul posted:

Who would win in a fist fight between Putin and Kadyrov? Sure Kadyrov is heavier and younger, but Putin has KGB training.
Whichever one ambushes the other, since neither would fight even remotely fair.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Nenonen posted:

No, you're just an innocent sealion.

I don't know how you can live in the region, or hell, even have been following events since 2014, and come up with the conclusion that European states are strong enough to conventionally stand up to Russia and its proxies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
- "eu should bomb belarus"
- "eu doesn't have the capacity to bomb belarus"
- "wow why are you sucking luka's knob"

this thread sure went to poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rebels should destroy the Death Star

Rebels don't have the capacity to mount an attack like that

Wow, Palpatine fan much?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You goddamn nerds!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

I don't know how you can live in the region, or hell, even have been following events since 2014, and come up with the conclusion that European states are strong enough to conventionally stand up to Russia and its proxies.

Neither do I! Which is why there is no point in continuing that debate! Just move on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Who would win in a fist fight between Putin and Kadyrov? Sure Kadyrov is heavier and younger, but Putin has KGB training. Which Russian governors could Putin definitely beat up?

Not just KGB training!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Not just KGB training!

Hamilton or Putin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Michigan potash is back baby!

The only rule of this thread is no tom clancy wwIII poo poo. Let's keep the discussion in the realm of reality if at all possible.