Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, there is some merit in the idea that different actors will bring different performances, /energy/charisma/etc, and some actors might not gel with the script & initial directorial vision.

I cant imagine seeing Chris D'Elia as the lynchpin holding Army of the Dead together though. If anything Tig Notaro is pointed out as one of the highlights of the film, even by people critical of the film.

Sure. They're right that it isn't interchangeable, it's a different performance. I mentioned earlier that it would have been awful to give D'Elia that moment Tig gets at the end. But it's strange to imply that it's necessarily a negative that they were able to do reshoots to change a side character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know who plays Vanderhoe from anything, but that guy absolutely oozed charisma to me

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't know who plays Vanderhoe from anything, but that guy absolutely oozed charisma to me

Yeah, this movie absolutely made me an Omari Hardwick fan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, this movie absolutely made me an Omari Hardwick fan.

Ditto. Looks like his major thing before this was the TV show "Power"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ICYMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_BYvI1GuXw

Zacks breaks down his title sequences

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It did! and it had aliens! and a zombie tiger! and a robot zombie! and zombie strippers!

In isolation it had a cool checklist of cool ideas for things that could be in a movie, but none of it mattered much.

There is a reason this is the specific movie where they could digitally edit out an actor and edit in another one: nothing in this movie mattered very much. You could take out any part and have the same

things happen and those things influence the plot and change the movie, but they are not cool zombie things , but corporate class warfare stuff. Garret Dillahunt shows up and dynamites the heist movie and transforms it into a drive for survival.

All the alien stuff doesn’t change much to be fair, it’s split second puffs of blue and brilliant eyes. A nice cool touch of flair not a gigantic fulcrum point that gets picked up and then discarded.

It plays on the “humans are the real monsters” thing. I guess what matters are the humans
loving each other relentlessly.Less interesting than truly getting weird I guess.

Also plenty of characters affect the plot in substantial ways, from the safecracker opening the bail, the pilot flying,Martin being a dipshit, the coyote loving the guard and Martin.Stuff happens and if you taken them out the movie changes.

I don’t know about zombie cabaret dancers tho , they show up, eat someone and that’s it. They did the cool thing and it’s over. Good enough for me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The opening really focuses heavily on that dude's crotch as he's being chased by the cabaret zombies

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Boofy posted:

this movie was AIDS in the form of a film

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This. What a waste of time. Terrible film.

The really self indulgent opening was amusing at least, I'll give it that.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Being John Malkovich

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

this is the post you quote dude lol fr

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The valid and well explained critiques keep on coming, Snyder must be feeling pretty sad right now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What do you mean by self-indulgent? What was different from the opening compared to the rest of it?

(I will say, I really enjoyed the title credits story with the badass lady who ended up crushed. So it's a cool self-contained little thing, but I don't get self-indulgent)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She herself is also a self contained thing

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

She herself is also a self contained thing

booooooooo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this is the post you quote dude lol fr

lol i thought that was a nice touch also

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

josh04 posted:

The film ends with a nuclear explosion wiping out Las Vegas, idk.
That doesn't really seem crazy for the genre. Nukes as an attempted solution to the problem of zombies is over thirty years old at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Return of the Living Dead did that. And while not w zombie movie, it’s still a piece of crap that’s better off dead, but so did AvPR

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CelticPredator posted:

Return of the Living Dead did that. And while not w zombie movie, it’s still a piece of crap that’s better off dead, but so did AvPR
As did the second RE movie, following the lead of the third game. Speaking of those games (and movies), I kinda feel they should be in the conversation if you’re judging whether a zombie movie is crazy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Think of where we are as a culture when solving a problem with nuclear weapons is passé.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nukes are badass for movies tbh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

McSpanky posted:

Think of where we are as a culture when solving a problem with nuclear weapons is passé.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know how seriously we're supposed to have taken the time stuff. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am with the fact that the movie just shits out a bunch of totally unexplored elements, each of which would mean completely different things for the plot, but does nothing with them. It just muddies any attempt to interpret anything that's happening at any point and it strikes me as lazy. It's the same energy as "but it was aaaaall a dreeeeam," which is the most justifiably derided hack poo poo you can do in a movie at this point unless you're extremely clever, thoughtful, and deliberate about it.

Zach Snyder is doing the Penguin umbrella thing, but he doesn't know he's doing it, and he's very bad at it. But it still somehow fools a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtiQv8IlIU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

i haven't seen this film yet but you have an anime avatar lol lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, there is some merit in the idea that different actors will bring different performances, /energy/charisma/etc, and some actors might not gel with the script & initial directorial vision.

I cant imagine seeing Chris D'Elia as the lynchpin holding Army of the Dead together though. If anything Tig Notaro is pointed out as one of the highlights of the film, even by people critical of the film.

I'm reminded of a suggestion for when movies can basically digitally cast anyone they want; Predator with the cast of The Magnificent Seven.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CelticPredator posted:

Nukes are badass for movies tbh.

And kind of patriotic if you think about it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Solving zombies with a nuke might have been done, but even New Vegas didn't have a nuke drop on Atomic City USA (Stephen King apparently did though).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This thread is more entertaining than the film was. Thank you, goons.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

(the complaint is that this movie is a grab bag of disjointed elements that all could be replaced.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Right but in saying that you accidentally asserted that in most movies, every part could only have been played by the person who played it. You could presumably say Aliens is also a grab bag of disjointed elements, considering several entire subplots were smoothly cut from the movie for the theatrical release. And Hicks is played by two people!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I just remembered that after the opening montage the circular saw is never used to kill a zombie again, my rating of this movie is revised to 0/10

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Piell posted:

I just remembered that after the opening montage the circular saw is never used to kill a zombie again, my rating of this movie is revised to 0/10

"ah but by subverting your expectations of what's going to happen Zack......."

*sound of someone making GBS threads themselves to death*

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

please don't sign your posts

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Piell posted:

After having served as a tool of death in the zombie wars, the saw descended into the depths of hell and entered the twilight of the gods where it then became a tool of salvation.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're trying too hard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

After having served as a tool of death in the zombie wars, the saw descended into the depths of hell and entered the twilight of the gods where it then became a tool of salvation.

I'm glad he resisted the obvious route of having someone use it expecting to be a total badass but then they slip and kill one of their companions like in his Dawn of the Dead movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FFTZ7_D4M

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Boofy posted:

this movie was AIDS in the form of a film

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This. The idea of a zombie heist movie could have gone at least *some* places.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

can we do the thing from the old GBS star wars threads where everyone writes their own synopsis for a better film, those were fun

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ArfJason posted:

This. The idea of a zombie heist movie could have gone at least *some* places.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

qq more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What's qq? I'm basically a boomer.