Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Best strategy guide tip:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That was in an issue of GamePro wasn't it? Guides at least pretend at respectability! They're bound!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RandolphCarter posted:

Best strategy guide tip:

Well it's not wrong...

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Casnorf posted:

That was in an issue of GamePro wasn't it? Guides at least pretend at respectability! They're bound!

My MGS2 strategy guide fell apart and I had to put it in a three ring binder :(

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Foxfire_ posted:

The joke is that if you don't change the default options before starting the program, there is a very small (1 in several million), but nonzero chance that you instantly die on Turn 0 without any chance to do anything. (autopickup's behavior in general is a baked-in bug. It's a mechanical feature masquerading as an interface feature, picking things up via autopickup doesn't use a turn like manually picking something up)

I swear that you even get a special message for dying without player input: Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 zorkmids. I won't even go into the amazing messages you get for trying to tin the final bosses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Best strategy guide tip:

I always took that as less "duh obviously you dumbasses" and more of a 90's magazine tongue-in-cheek way to say "there is no special strategy here, it's all brute force".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its a good tip, but also respecting that people ought to figure some things out for themselves (in this case the all conquering power of circle strafing)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is strategy to the Cyberdemon but it's mostly of the "do not get hit" variety (with a side of "You can cheese it by getting it hung up on some parts of the map and taking potshots but that takes way too long.")

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Sadly it was never a "legit" printed tip, but a parody that was made a decade after Doom 2 was released.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Protip_meme

e. (wait, Cyberdemon was in Doom 1. whatever)

Kennel has a new favorite as of 23:22 on May 23, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kennel posted:

Sadly it was never a "legit" printed tip, but a parody that was made a decade after Doom 2 was released.

Wtf

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Well it's not wrong...

Even a broken strategy guide is right twice a day.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Kennel posted:

This is a much dumber version of reality I don't want any part of. GamePro was exactly that stupid and that's what made it so special.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kennel posted:

This is way more unnerving to me than the bearnstein bears poo poo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I had a pokemon gold/silver guide that was terrible, and would actually label items/pokemon as ??? explicitly because they wanted to preserve the surprise

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kitfox88 posted:

This is way more unnerving to me than the bearnstein bears poo poo

Also The Cyberdemon Effect is a way cooler name

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You mean the Cyberdaemon Effect?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's in System Shock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The subnautica expansion added the best new creature

https://i.imgur.com/cioCkQg.mp4

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The subnautica expansion added the best new creature

https://i.imgur.com/cioCkQg.mp4

Is there something you have to do to have them just rob you all the time? My playthrough they have been nothing but sweet to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TontoCorazon posted:

Is there something you have to do to have them just rob you all the time? My playthrough they have been nothing but sweet to me.

I think they steal stuff for a but at the beginning, but possibly if they see you mining and stuff they'll start bringing things? Or maybe it's just about how long you've been playing. At some point in my game the protag comments on how she could teach them to bring her certain things.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Can you pet em

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Can you pet em

Post/avatar combo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition was a huge graphics overhaul for the first game, and nowhere did it show more than the uncharted worlds.

It's baaaaaack!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I finished Dragon Quest Builders 2 recently after my wife kept insisting I actually finish it. I do like how the theme of the duality of Creation and Destruction and how each relies on the other to exist (while Malroth can't build anything himself in the game, he's REALLY good at gathering resources to let you build, and even teaches you a strong area-destroying technique to farm resources faster) is actually shown through the game, rather than just being tacked on in the final area.

Also, that I was allowed to raze Moonbrooke to the ground, drown their beacon of hope in poisonous sludge and fill the remaining area of the castle with poisoned water, before turning the castle built by the people of Moonbrooke into a jail for them, all for what they did to Malroth was far more entertaining than it should have been.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I've been watching a friend of mine play the Resident Evil 2 remake, and I love how consistently and thoroughly done Claire's voice acting gets. She's the only person in this zombie apocalypse who is just not into it in any way, and it's great.

It's actually a shame that I know she comes back in other games (hell if I know which though), because I would've loved for her epilogue to be 'Claire packs up, moves to Portland, and refuses to answer any calls about that Umbrella or Racoon City bullshit ever again'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

I've been watching a friend of mine play the Resident Evil 2 remake, and I love how consistently and thoroughly done Claire's voice acting gets. She's the only person in this zombie apocalypse who is just not into it in any way, and it's great.

She's the best, I love how the new games have added so much incidental dialogue like that outside of cutscenes. I'm actually a little worried for the RE4 remake because I love the original Leon but don't really like the new voice actor they got for the 2 remake. He's just a lot less fun and interesting to listen to through the game.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition was a huge graphics overhaul for the first game, and nowhere did it show more than the uncharted worlds.

It's baaaaaack!

I played all of ME1 over the first weekend while nursing a low grade vaccine fever. It was glorious.

And I have so many screenshots gathered while farting around in the Mako. Which still drives like a drunk manatee and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Whoever keeps leaving the FF14 English localization team without adult supervision, thank you.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I love that it's unsellable because nobody cares about your fantasy football team.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Whoever keeps leaving the FF14 English localization team without adult supervision, thank you.

Koji fox cannot and will not be stopped, and if the recent fanfest is anything to go by at least half the higher ups are like this too. It's kinda great that since square seems to just let them do whatever ff14 feels like it has the heart of a indie game despite being so huge it recently passed world of warcraft's ingame player count for a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

I honestly love FFXIV's nonsense a whole lot more than WoW's, because it's so earnestly dumb rather than just "Look at us cramming a popular meme in, wink-wink" like WoW does.

And you get stuff like the Aesthetician :allears:.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked how FF14 looks like a modern game instead of a shambling corpse that's held together with staples and slowly falling apart

It also had jiggle physics in the pompadour my potato man had

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cythereal posted:

It's baaaaaack!
Some of those uncharted worlds already had a really great atmosphere in the original game, but the remaster definitely made them look quite a bit nicer.

And yes, the Mako continues to be the best and worst.

I also love how stupid late-game biotics can get in ME1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9Bhb2K1GE

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That world with the massive red sun in the sky is my favourite, it's the thing that always comes to mind when I think about Mass Effect. Don't care about the lovely BioWare writing or sexy blue wish fulfillment aliens, give me those vast space landscapes.

Edit: And the planet descriptions, especially ones that are just like 'there are some massive structures under the surface of this planet, we have no idea what the gently caress they are' or 'there were reports of large unidentified shapes in this gas giant, but when approached they sunk deeper into the atmosphere and no one ever found out what they were', like that's the stuff I love in space opera, weird interstellar mysteries that don't revolve around the player.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:49 on May 26, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

I liked how FF14 looks like a modern game instead of a shambling corpse that's held together with staples and slowly falling apart

It also had jiggle physics in the pompadour my potato man had

I mean, it is that, but they’ve been slowly excising the 1.0 code as neatly as they can so it’s becoming less and less of one.

One cannot say enough good things about the hair game, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bussamove posted:

I mean, it is that, but they’ve been slowly excising the 1.0 code as neatly as they can so it’s becoming less and less of one.

My friends are still playing WoW so that's my point of comparison. It still looks like a game that's been around forever and it's a shambling husk

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the only difference is the quality of the coat of paint meant to mask it: all games are shambling husks

all gamers, too, now that I think about it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Morpheus posted:

That world with the massive red sun in the sky is my favourite, it's the thing that always comes to mind when I think about Mass Effect. Don't care about the lovely BioWare writing or sexy blue wish fulfillment aliens, give me those vast space landscapes.

Edit: And the planet descriptions, especially ones that are just like 'there are some massive structures under the surface of this planet, we have no idea what the gently caress they are' or 'there were reports of large unidentified shapes in this gas giant, but when approached they sunk deeper into the atmosphere and no one ever found out what they were', like that's the stuff I love in space opera, weird interstellar mysteries that don't revolve around the player.

yeah, i like that mass effect 1 was more star trek for the side stuff, just bumbling around and finding cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bussamove posted:

FFXIV ARR was complete rebuilt on a custom game engine specifically made for it, which is a serious achievement in the timeframe it took to un-gently caress that game (OG FFXIV was on Crystal Tools, the same internal Square Enix engine as FFXIII and a few other games). It's also relatively-new as it first released in 2013, so it's probably got some relatively-modern coding at its core and should actually be a pretty clean project all things considered.

WoW was originally forked from WCIII's engine, and has become a zombified trainwreck, with layers stacked upon it since 2004. If you know what you are looking for, it's very easy to tell how badly they're bending existing functions to make new ones work. This is just armchair-guessing, but with all the departures over the years I wonder if they'd actually even have the internal knowledge to rebuild the game properly if they were asked to. It'd obviously never actually happen, I just mean as a general exercise of someone waving a hand and ordering "Build us WoW 2" or "Make WoW: A Warcraft Reborn to un-gently caress this mess for good". They haven't made anything completely-new in the game in several expansions now, the last time was the Garrison and the table quests in Warlords of Draenor. Everything since has been piggybacking off those in new flavours.