Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Python is basically bash 2 for me, for that reason. import socket, problem solved, just find a way to make sure requests gets installed on your containers or make sure that they can reach pypi

I always try to make sure all image repos have a net-tools container though which is probably the "real" answer here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

12 rats tied together posted:

Python is basically bash 2 for me, for that reason. import socket, problem solved, just find a way to make sure requests gets installed on your containers or make sure that they can reach pypi

I always try to make sure all image repos have a net-tools container though which is probably the "real" answer here

code:
nsenter -t $pid -n 
works well too. That way you can still get to be root and do all your favorite netstats and whatever from the context of a given container's network namespace. Useful for pointing out that an app is wildly creating a new socket on every request or something.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

code:
nsenter -t $pid -n 
works well too. That way you can still get to be root and do all your favorite netstats and whatever from the context of a given container's network namespace. Useful for pointing out that an app is wildly creating a new socket on every request or something.

:aaaaa:

Knowing this six months ago would have saved me literal days of work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methanar posted:

code:
nsenter -t $pid -n 

that's one useful little tool. Worth its size in gold.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My most hilarious abuse of nsenter so far has been prototyping an Ansible connection plugin so that Ansible can run containerized in a pull model and still manage its own host

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've seen helm charts get bashed a few times on SA - any good articles that talk about the downsides?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Helm 1 used to suck. Helm 2 is good.

Things that suck is it's yet another templating language.

Also lots of footguns. But it's probably the best tool for the job

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
golang templating engine bad

Templating your values files can be a pain too. https://github.com/roboll/helmfile can help somewhat with that though.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Methanar posted:

golang templating engine bad

Templating your values files can be a pain too. https://github.com/roboll/helmfile can help somewhat with that though.

I haven't found it to be any worse than any other templating engine.

Which is to say that any tool that uses templates and is of sufficient complexity makes whatever templating engine it uses look bad.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's strictly worse than the many other options that exist for templating your stuff, most notably, jinja2. The helm charts I've been unfortunate enough to have to support in the past also always seem to have dozens of extremely vertical config options, these are almost always presented horribly as a borderline gibberish set of poorly documented parameters, usually with at least one hidden side effect or bug due to parameter combinations not being anticipated by the chart author.

Helm also provides no safety or uptime guarantees, since it does not actually do anything for you but load some vars and then yaml.dump(), so you're at the mercy of the chart author again as to whether or not "helm update" is going to take down your application or if it's a no downtime upgrade. Similarly, there's no guarantee that helm rollback actually works, a super cool thing I've run into here is that Deployments that target a StatefulSet can't be interrupted or rollbacked once they start, you have to wait for them to finish or you have to start force deleting poo poo, which is super cool if it comes from a poorly written helm chart instead of an actual application constraint.

If you just cannot read the API spec and turn your requirements into a deployment manifest for whatever reason, it's an OK tool. It will let you curl bash into production, but on kubernetes this time.

e: the helm values file for airflow is 1500 lines long for example, which ended up being like 10 lines of ansible variables instead.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
helms state management is also garbage. There's no equivalent of terraform import or state surgery, or the -target flag, which god help you if you ever need it.

It's somewhat hard to use, and really hard to use properly.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's really easy to copy paste from a blog article, which is where I suspect its popularity came from.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

It's really easy to copy paste from a blog article, which is where I suspect its popularity came from.

Helm came before kustomize.

The other early alternative was ksonnet which was somehow even more user hostile

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

It's strictly worse than the many other options that exist for templating your stuff, most notably, jinja2. The helm charts I've been unfortunate enough to have to support in the past also always seem to have dozens of extremely vertical config options, these are almost always presented horribly as a borderline gibberish set of poorly documented parameters, usually with at least one hidden side effect or bug due to parameter combinations not being anticipated by the chart author.

Helm also provides no safety or uptime guarantees, since it does not actually do anything for you but load some vars and then yaml.dump(), so you're at the mercy of the chart author again as to whether or not "helm update" is going to take down your application or if it's a no downtime upgrade. Similarly, there's no guarantee that helm rollback actually works, a super cool thing I've run into here is that Deployments that target a StatefulSet can't be interrupted or rollbacked once they start, you have to wait for them to finish or you have to start force deleting poo poo, which is super cool if it comes from a poorly written helm chart instead of an actual application constraint.

If you just cannot read the API spec and turn your requirements into a deployment manifest for whatever reason, it's an OK tool. It will let you curl bash into production, but on kubernetes this time.

e: the helm values file for airflow is 1500 lines long for example, which ended up being like 10 lines of ansible variables instead.

I was talking about the templating engine, not helm. Helm is a mess.

But unfortunately, so is pointing at a 1500 line file that's 95% comments that document each value and comparing it to bespoke ansible configs.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Vulture Culture posted:

My most hilarious abuse of nsenter so far has been prototyping an Ansible connection plugin so that Ansible can run containerized in a pull model and still manage its own host

Now this is podracing! :discourse:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

This is the most galaxy brain thing i have ever heard of.

Container escape, but for justice!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Jenkins?

More like Jank ins

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Methanar posted:

Jenkins?

More like Jank ins

You can sync your watch to their CVE reports.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The popular term I saw used before was Junkins

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Does anyone use process supervision in containers and if so, what are you using? I know it's an anti pattern and it makes people treat containers as VMs, but I need something that gracefully shuts down an of the shelf app instead of terminating.

I've grown to like s6, but there's so many options (runit, monoit, supervisord, tini, dumb-init, suckless) I was wondering what others are using.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

LochNessMonster posted:

Does anyone use process supervision in containers and if so, what are you using? I know it's an anti pattern and it makes people treat containers as VMs, but I need something that gracefully shuts down an of the shelf app instead of terminating.

I've grown to like s6, but there's so many options (runit, monoit, supervisord, tini, dumb-init, suckless) I was wondering what others are using.

Use a preStop hook.
https://medium.com/codecademy-engineering/kubernetes-nginx-and-zero-downtime-in-production-2c910c6a5ed8

https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/configure-pod-container/attach-handler-lifecycle-event/#define-poststart-and-prestop-handlers

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

This particular case was for ECS/Fargate so that wasn’t an option.

Gonna bookmark that for future reference though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LochNessMonster posted:

tini is fine

Many of these supervisors feel like they're part of this legacy of indecipherable tools (runit is the absolute worst) that have at least several obsessive users, but don't actually solve the core problem elegantly enough to justify the complexity they bring to the table

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
yaml doesn't auto recognize a string as a string if it starts with {

that is all

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

left curly brace is reserved as an indicator character that designates the start of a mapping, so it isn't actually a string (to YAML anyway)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I mean, YAML being a superset of JSON in theory I figured it would be a Bad Idea to try to even think about using braces without knowing exactly their function.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That sort of poo poo is inevitable when the spec doesn't require quoting strings. I hate working with json more than I hate working with yaml, but at least json has that going for it.

(though to be fair I hate both of them for a lot of reasons, there just isn't anything better out there and it's hard to compete with their inertia)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Methanar posted:

yaml doesn't auto recognize a string as a string if it starts with {

that is all

Not to make light of your situation, but I never regret installing linters on my text editors. It's not always possible to install linters on headless servers you don't control, but it's certainly saved me hundreds of hours of debug

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hadlock posted:

Not to make light of your situation, but I never regret installing linters on my text editors. It's not always possible to install linters on headless servers you don't control, but it's certainly saved me hundreds of hours of debug

Editing on the server is haram. it happens all the time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Both statements are true

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

you can use the string type tag to force any value to be a string, which will fully work as long as you don't also break the parser by inserting a mapping fragment, a comment, an anchor, etc.

it's very normal for syntaxes to have reserved characters

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

it's very normal for syntaxes to have reserved characters

Yeah but yaml is insane

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3790454/how-do-i-break-a-string-in-yaml-over-multiple-lines/21699210#21699210

Multiline strings are an extreme case and not related to OP at all but it is a good example of yaml being on drugs.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i don't agree with it, the answer is a bad interpretation of the spec and yaml's behavior. there are 2 ways to express block scalars, the | (literal) and > (folded) indicators. adding "keep" to the folded indicator doesn't create a third style, it's just different configuration. similarly, being able to express that newlines should be implicitly indented with between 1 and 9 whitespace characters is not 9 new indicators

as for flow scalars (which seems to be the source of most of the frustration of the stack overflow answer), the weaknesses of each are called out explicitly in the specification, along with a note that they are provided for the possibility where they are more expressive and readable than the alternatives

the general take that yaml is way more complicated than it is appears is something that i agree with, though, and is why i always recommend that people read the spec first with any questions before searching stack overflow

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Any place I've been at that doesn't already have it, one of the first things I do / push for is a pre-receive hook that "If it ends in .json and isn't in a dirpath called test then it passes jslint or the push is rejected."

Last place it fired about twice a week from non-engineering people wanting to ignore tools and hand edit json. No amount of sitting with them to improve the tools led to any change of behavior.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hadlock posted:

In my specific case my yaml value was the output of a j2 render so it wasn't entirely obviously that what I was working on ultimately rendered out to a string that started with {

Normally I'd be as suspicious about a { as I would a string literal "

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Methanar posted:

In my specific case my yaml value was the output of a j2 render so it wasn't entirely obviously that what I was working on ultimately rendered out to a string that started with {

Normally I'd be as suspicious about a { as I would a string literal "

My usual hack to work around this in Ansible (so I know this works in PyYAML, at least) without having to start with a double quote is to use a line continuation and then PyYAML's fine with it, e.g.
code:
fart: >
    {{ something }} blah blah blah
There's some other edge case that PyYAML shits itself on, like if you have a string that starts with a single quote and then a double quote, or maybe the other way around? I know I've gotten burned a bunch of times in Ansible when statements that looked like
code:
when: "'fart' in some_list"
I wish less of my job involved knowing YAML parser pathologies.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
This has been an awful day in an awful week.

Someone implied to me that some issue from 2 months ago was my fault, which is total bullshit.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Methanar posted:

This has been an awful day in an awful week.

Someone implied to me that some issue from 2 months ago was my fault, which is total bullshit.

That's a bummer :(

Blame should never be placed at the individual level. It's always a combined effort between dev, code reviewers, QA, PM, automation, and managers not only successes, but also failures.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's one of the reasons I've become a huge fan of the five whys - you take personal blame out of it. Even if the outage was really and completely someone's fault, even if I caused it because I was the dumbass who didn't realize I was logged into production when I deleted the tables, you take the time to say, "Why did Zorak screw up like that? Was he overworked? Undertrained? Documentation not in place?"

Edit: Which in turn means that management should immediately quash anyone who just wants to blame people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hi all,

Dont suppose anyone has or know where to find a handy script that could check for AWS creds that are >90 days since last used and disables them.

Im trying to automate this into a lambda function as sack doing this manually.