Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Haiti being tutorial island would be rad for all the reasons people say, but also because it would piss off the fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gort posted:

There's a big difference between, "Do you want to murder thousands Y/N" and "Do you want to murder thousands, by the way if you answer no thousands will die in a civil war and half your military will be destroyed immediately prior to a Nazi invasion Y/N"

Only if your big on ends justifies the means

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nitrousoxide posted:

Haiti being tutorial island would be rad for all the reasons people say, but also because it would piss off the fascists.

I like the idea, but they have no iron, they have no coal, they have no pop...

Maybe for an advanced tutorial covering diplo/politics or more niche strategies but I don't think you'll be able to do much with them industrially.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sounds like a good way to show off what market groups do now so you can get those goods.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

All the more reason Paradox games should be decoupled from historical settings, since Paradox routinely fails to grapple with historical atrocities :colbert:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I really doubt the thinking behind the way the purges work was that Paradox is a hive of Grover Furr acolytes and more like "what if there was a way Trotsky could become leader lol".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I really doubt the thinking behind the way the purges work was that Paradox is a hive of Grover Furr acolytes and more like "what if there was a way Trotsky could become leader lol".

yeah, and they probably wanted to keep having the purges debuff for the Soviets but somehow introduce a bit of control to it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only if your big on ends justifies the means

I feel like "facing imminent invasion from a fascist state which is rapidly remilitarising" is a time where these sorts of arguments have a lot of merit

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like "facing imminent invasion from a fascist state which is rapidly remilitarising" is a time where these sorts of arguments have a lot of merit

Yeah, those arguments would only have no merit in a dictatorship that proclaims it has no enemies and there's no danger to the state. Sadly we have yet to see a dictatorship like that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Facing imminent invasion by a fascist state wasn't really part of the reasoning of the Great Purge.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gentlemen, please! This is the war mapmode!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Randarkman posted:

Facing imminent invasion by a fascist state wasn't really part of the reasoning of the Great Purge.

This is in the context of "yes there is actually an imminent Trotskyist coup" rather than a historical observation

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Doesn't really matter if the developers are committed Stalinists or they just did it for gameplay, the outcome is the same.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's where the Jan Mayen hyper-empire is centered.

We really need a paradox map game set during the Finno-Korean hyperwar of 50,000 BCE.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fascist or occasionally monarchist path is p much always the best in HOI. Did you know that if Hungary invited the Habsburgs back the whole rest of the Empire would've peacefully submitted to hungarian domination?

Also Greater Estonia lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fascist or occasionally monarchist path is p much always the best in HOI. Did you know that if Hungary invited the Habsburgs back the whole rest of the Empire would've peacefully submitted to hungarian domination?

Also Greater Estonia lol

Eh, communist is better in the Balkans because if you rush it down and do it effectively you can get the entire Balkans and even parts of turkey as core territory - effectively making you a great power.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Can we take the ww2 war crimes chat to the hoi4 thread or something? We're trying to talk about 19th century war crimes in this thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

WW2 war crimes are decidedly gauche, only refined and gentlemanly war crimes itt please

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
It'd be amazing if the new province and state system meant we could draw straight line borders across the map after Great Wars

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Gibraltar now modeled in appropriate size.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

AnEdgelord posted:

Can we take the ww2 war crimes chat to the hoi4 thread or something? We're trying to talk about 19th century war crimes in this thread

Can't wait to play as Belgium, invent Art Nouveau and *checks notes* oh, oh yikes

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

WW2 war crimes are decidedly gauche, only refined and gentlemanly war crimes itt please

I can only get hard when doing war crimes from my dirigible. *adjusts monocle*

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

$4.99 optional cosmetic expansion that adds goggles to everyone's top hats and reskins serf pops into automatons.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

$4.99 optional cosmetic expansion that adds goggles to everyone's top hats and reskins serf pops into automatons.

That's gonna be a day-1 mod, c'mon now! What will take a while is porting over Synthetic Ascension.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Vasukhani posted:

I wonder what new historical apologia this pdox game will foster

Won't be worse than the "uncivilised" stuff for virtually all of native Africa and Asia in Vicky 2, which was all sorts of yikes. It's clear Paradox have done plenty of learning and maturing since then, so if anything it'll probably come down to accidentally making ancaps the best form of government or something, which is more funny than anything else.

Also, the Steam forums of course has someone crying because they removed the uncivilised name and replaced it with something more historical. Some guys are legit mad that places like Japan, Iran or Qing aren't painted as barbarians for *some* reason. Couldn't imagine what.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

DrSunshine posted:

Steampunk expansion would be a 19.99€ minimum.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BillBear posted:

Won't be worse than the "uncivilised" stuff for virtually all of native Africa and Asia in Vicky 2, which was all sorts of yikes. It's clear Paradox have done plenty of learning and maturing since then, so if anything it'll probably come down to accidentally making ancaps the best form of government or something, which is more funny than anything else.

Also, the Steam forums of course has someone crying because they removed the uncivilised name and replaced it with something more historical. Some guys are legit mad that places like Japan, Iran or Qing aren't painted as barbarians for *some* reason. Couldn't imagine what.

playing as smaller "uncivs" was fun, you could make strong African states and stuff.

that said, the it seemed mainly to be defined by if there were white people there, so

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

adhuin posted:

Steampunk expansion would be a 19.99€ minimum.

Come on board for my Victoria3 -> Stellaris mega campaign.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BillBear posted:

Is it more historical?

I suppose uncivilized is not quite racist enough for the period.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Almost as ancient as Vicky 2, it sill has tiles!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BillBear posted:

What'd they replace it with?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Clarste posted:

Instead of being uncivilized there unrecognized. They play the same as other nations but lack any respect from recognized countries so they can be hosed with without consequence

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Unrecognized states. Basically, the powers that be refuse to recognize your country as on the same level as them. Being unrecognized apparently doesn't give you any research penalties like being "uncivilized" like in V2, rather your road to industrialization is now just determined by your starting conditions, like your resources and the education/standard of living of your pops.

EDIT: And yeah, the fact that the colonial powers of Europe can beat up on you for no penalty. You can even become a recognized power by defeating one in combat, like in the Russo-Japanese war. I really like this system because it highlights the Eurocentric/colonialist viewpoint.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BillBear posted:

I never really had an issue with "uncivilized" because the framing of the game was very clearly "this is how Europe sees the world", but changing it to "unrecognized" probably does at least make that framing more explicit. A problem people often seem to have with video games (or really, media in general) is that they assume depiction = endorsement, especially when it comes to simulations. Like I don't think Paradox genuinely believe that inventing machine guns to bring civilization to the savages is a good thing, but it is accurate to the way that the colonial powers viewed the world. This is a bit of a tangent but a lot of this probably stems from SimCity and how it was presented as basically just being a plain "city simulator", rather than representing a specific viewpoint (the model it uses came entirely from one book, a book which was not without controversy even at the time), and that sort of thinking has been carried forward to sims in general. If something is not extremely, blatantly satirical or otherwise makes its political motivations clear, people just assume it's meant to be a totally neutral depiction intended to reflect "reality".

It's a tricky line to walk because Paradox seems to not like to make their political assumptions too explicit, but maybe they should. It would help avoid a lot of these arguments by at least demonstrating that they have thought about the issue and their reasoning for coming down a particular way in the game itself. Like you could still argue "maybe they shouldn't have done that" but if people were more aware of their reasoning then we at least would not have to just guess as to why they made those decisions and not get a lot of weird baseless speculation like "Paradox believes Stalin was right". There is an interesting blog series that was linked in the general Paradox thread a little while back, written by a history professor that is specifically digging into these political assumptions, which is worth a read: https://acoup.blog/2021/04/30/collections-teaching-paradox-europa-univeralis-iv-part-i-state-of-play/ (that link is to part 1, he's up to part 3 right now). Currently he's on EU4 but he is planning to get to the other games eventually and has specifically mentioned that he's very interested in diving into the framing behind Victoria 2.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Unrecognized states. Basically, the powers that be refuse to recognize your country as on the same level as them. Being unrecognized apparently doesn't give you any research penalties like being "uncivilized" like in V2, rather your road to industrialization is now just determined by your starting conditions, like your resources and the education/standard of living of your pops.

EDIT: And yeah, the fact that the colonial powers of Europe can beat up on you for no penalty. You can even become a recognized power by defeating one in combat, like in the Russo-Japanese war. I really like this system because it highlights the Eurocentric/colonialist viewpoint.

I really like the idea because it keeps the necessary racism you need to properly simulate the era, while also making it more clear that it's the countries in game being racist assholes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gaius Marius posted:

Modeling the taping rebellion to be remotely close to historical is gonna be a hell of a doing

Yeah, it was on a pretty huge scale. Millions died!

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
A question for Wiz: do you plan to do pre-launch Vicky 3 streams with cKnoor, like you did for Stellaris? Those were awesome, and got me to buy the game at launch.

If yes, are you guys going to wear top hats?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, it was on a pretty huge scale. Millions died!

Kind of a random thing but something I would really like to see in Vicky 3 is just an "end of war roundup" where whenever you peace out for whatever reason, you get an overall report showing like, total casualties and economic damage to both sides. Just to really hammer home how many people died for those 10 feet of land. It's been a while since I played it but I think EU4 does something like this?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

British being humanoid is a hot take

AnoHito posted:

I really like the idea because it keeps the necessary racism you need to properly simulate the era, while also making it more clear that it's the countries in game being racist assholes.

I think a big issue with "unciv" too was that it posited that Japan in 1840 resembled any other colonial space more than a European state. Unciv wasnt only an external modifier, but effected the very nature of domestic gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vasukhani posted:

I think a big issue with "unciv" too was that it posited that Japan in 1840 resembled any other colonial space more than a European state. Unciv wasnt only an external modifier, but effected the very nature of domestic gameplay.

This is something where the "local markets" thing could work really well - since fundamentally the problem all those old nations had was not really that they were just like, arbitrarily worse than everyone else, but that they did not have access to modern technology due to either decisions made by their own heads of state (as in the case of Japan or China and their extremely isolationist trade policies), or that they simply were not recognized as legitimate states capable of making trade agreements and were treated as "terra nullius" free for colonization, like most of Africa. So as an unrecognized nation the main challenge would be "if you can't make it yourself, you can't get it at all". This would still realistically handicap the unrecognized nations, while also still allowing them the potential to catch up by say, investing in their own military tech and just going "we'll just make our own artillery then". Although it seems like it would also make sense that lacking access to certain materials would hinder your technological development - I don't know if they are going to model this but it seems like something that wouldn't be hard to do (i.e. it would be a lot harder to develop new guns if you don't have any models to study. You could still do it, but it's more work).