Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The calls seem to be the weakest part of your repetoire generally. I might bring it out occasionally but it seems pretty unimpressive compared to what you can end up getting in the normal slots. Like someone mentioned usually I'm too focused on the basics and only do it every now and then when I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, there's only a few Aid boons I consider useful: Poseidon, Artemis, Aphrodite. Ares gets an honorable mention as basically a less-good Poseidon.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There's a couple calls/builds that are insane, especially if you get some other supporting builds.

Aphrodite and Artemis can chunk out whole boss phases at max stacks. Artemis' also ignores Elysium and Theseus' shields.

Aphrodite's charm is helpful against regular enemies, but very useful as an interrupt against bosses. Get her combo boon with Zeus to make bosses basically unable to do anything.

Athena's invulnerability is obviously very useful. Poseidon and Ares have similar effects, but with drawbacks.

Zeus does quite good damage and can function against both bosses and groups, although I kind of find it wonky to aim.

Demeter has crowd control which is nice.

I haven't really used Dionysus' too much yet but I figure it'd be kind of like Zeus'. If you're going for a hangover build anyway then might as well.

When you get charge speed bonuses (Hermes and Zeus are the best I think, and/or Zeus/Aphro duo) you can charge a single bar very quickly and keep it up almost constantly.

Zeus' damage boosting boon pairs very well with Athena, or if you've built for recharge speed, naturally.

Hades' trinket/call is super good. Effective invulnerability + a damage boost? Yes please. Also the best dialogue. "Father!" "Son!"

In conclusion, Aphro and Zeus have very strong and useful calls and call options. Also you should try taking every call so that you can use it against said god in the duo-god rooms.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Klyith posted:

Welp I hooked up the DS4 and I dunno if I'll be able to do it. The default control map was completely unusable for me, because having everything on the thumb I just can't change input fast enough. But you can't attack with triggers because they don't auto-fire, which seems like a huge oversight. Grumble grumble.
hmmm, that seems like it'd be a massively double-edged sword, but I may have to try it out. it'd take a bit to learn to use the mouse for both offense and defense but it might be faster to adapt to than the controller.

Though that brings up another question I can't figure out: what are the exact mechanics of dash & invulnerability? It feels very tight to me, like you don't have invuln for the whole dash. I spent a bit trying to practice dashing against a single lout guy by just letting him charge me over and over, and found it surprisingly difficult to avoid damage other than by actually dodging out of the way entirely. Like, dashing through the guy wasn't working.

M&K is a little awkward but it works just fine. Don't listen to people who say you *have* to use a controller. Use what's comfortable for you. One suggestion to to turn on the aim assist or auto aim or whatever its called in the game options. It makes aiming melee weapons a lot easier with the mouse.

The i-frames for dashing are tight and they occur right at the beginning of the animation.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I love getting max Artemis or Aphrodite calls and then when Theseus starts his call I’m like “Oh I can do that too” and he instantly dies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really like a full Demeter Call, especially if I'm doing a Privileged Status build.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Demeter's call isn't one of my go-tos, but I had it and her 10% auto-kill boon on one run and used it to finish off the final boss. I probably wouldn't have won that run if I'd had any other call.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That happened to me once too and I was baffled when it activated because I had forgotten about completely.

Just started a Nemesis Sword run and immediately got an Epic Artemis Attack plus Crit boost. Going to crit my way to victory.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That happened to me once too and I was baffled when it activated because I had forgotten about completely.

Same, I was just hoping to slow him down enough that I could avoid taking a game-ending hit, then "I WILL TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY!" and holy poo poo grandma.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dyz posted:

M&K is a little awkward but it works just fine. Don't listen to people who say you *have* to use a controller. Use what's comfortable for you. One suggestion to to turn on the aim assist or auto aim or whatever its called in the game options. It makes aiming melee weapons a lot easier with the mouse.

Yeah I've been using the autoaim the whole time (it's on by default). Possibly I could see turning it off for the bow, but it's really helpful for casts to have autoaim.

Mostly I've come to the conclusion that I just kinda suck. I've been on a long run of strategy, rpg, and building games for a while now, so it's been like 3 or 4 years since I've played anything demanding on the action reflexes. The real problem I'm having in asphodel is with making fast decisions & reactions, which are just shot to hell. I wouldn't be dashing into lava so much if I was able to realize "hey idiot you're pointed towards lava" before my thumb mashes the spacebar.

The first act doesn't really make you act quickly, which is why I breeze through tartarus and then hit a brick wall.

Dyz posted:

The i-frames for dashing are tight and they occur right at the beginning of the animation.

makes sense combined with the various bonuses for dashing right before getting hit

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just started this week after finally finding the Switch cartridge at Target. Can confirm it comes with an OST download code.

Holy poo poo I love this. Got up to Theseus so far, and I'm really enjoying Ares/Venus with the boxing gloves. Dooming enemies and then evading them until they die is super satisfying, and the +dodge and Weakened helps survivability.

I have been using the items to prompt Ares and Venus gifts - is that the only way to "select" a build?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yes, you can force a selection in each of the four areas via picking a keepsake. you might not yet have unlocked the upgrade to let you change it in between areas, and also entering Styx you'll probably want to pick a keepsake that's better for combat, but yeah. the last mirror upgrades also allow you to reroll either what reward a room gives or which choices that reward gives you. but even in endgame, part of the fun is working with what you've got.

also, just out of curiosity, given you're calling aphrodite venus - are you playing in another language or something?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, my brain just slid off Aphrodite.

Yeah I've been using the keepsakes and swapping between levels. (I'll do Ares, then Aphrodite, then lucky tooth or plume.)

I definitely enjoy the randomness but with people talking about builds I wondered if there was something that gave more control. It's feeling easier, but I can't tell how much is experience and how much is unlocked upgrades.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

moths posted:

I have been using the items to prompt Ares and Venus gifts - is that the only way to "select" a build?

Yes (although I know you can get mods to eg have seeded runs)

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
With keepsakes and fated persuasion to reroll (late game mirror upgrade) you can have a surprising amount of control over your boon choices.

It is also key to realize that the game will push you to fill the main boon slots (attack/special/cast/dash/call). If you get a god you don't really want, it can be smart to use it to fill a slot you don't really use (often the call and cast are less important). That way you have a greater chance of getting the boons you want when you get the god you're building around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh that's a good tip, thinking back I've only been offered replacement boons maybe twice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Klyith posted:

Yeah I've been using the autoaim the whole time (it's on by default). Possibly I could see turning it off for the bow, but it's really helpful for casts to have autoaim.

Mostly I've come to the conclusion that I just kinda suck. I've been on a long run of strategy, rpg, and building games for a while now, so it's been like 3 or 4 years since I've played anything demanding on the action reflexes. The real problem I'm having in asphodel is with making fast decisions & reactions, which are just shot to hell. I wouldn't be dashing into lava so much if I was able to realize "hey idiot you're pointed towards lava" before my thumb mashes the spacebar.

The first act doesn't really make you act quickly, which is why I breeze through tartarus and then hit a brick wall.

I know that guy just said you don't need a controller, but it really is tons easier and much more intuitive. I doubt you'd end up in lava half so much, and even if you do dash to lava if you dash back quickly enough you won't even take damage. I really think it would help, especially with the more melee based weapons.

Besides, anyone who plays games on the computer should have a controller regardless as there are certain games where you want to have one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you get Winter Harvest early enough, it can trigger on Theseus and Asterius too!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mazerunner posted:

I haven't really used Dionysus' too much yet but I figure it'd be kind of like Zeus'. If you're going for a hangover build anyway then might as well.

Dionysus' is really good at one bar, especially with added Hangover boons. Because of the cap on Hangover stacks there's not too much point in going for the full duration, but it's a good crowd damage option and really good for keeping Privileged status up. It also decimates Hydra's adds and handles the shield adds in Elysium pretty well.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Dyz posted:

Don't listen to people who say you *have* to use a controller.

you mean supergiant? it recommends you use a controller on the intro screen, lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are you thinking of binding of isaac maybe

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Zeus shield + Thunder Flourish feels like easy mode. Every time I get that combo, I breeze to a win. Granted, I'm in pretty low heats.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Klyith posted:

Do you have God mode on? It scales up damage reduction everytime you die by 2%. It helps but doesn't make the game a cakewalk. I was in the same boat (was playing less relfex oriented games) and it helped a lot.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Some weapons are better with controller, some of them better with M+KB. FWIW, both are totally viable for playing at the highest levels. Player skill has by far the biggest influence on your success or failure

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
M+KB is just how my brain is wired after a lifetime of shooters. Sticks would be slightly easier in this game given that motion is linear instead of integral, and the XBox pad offset helps a little, but nothing works quite as well for me as keys and whole-hand motion.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

M+KB is just how my brain is wired after a lifetime of shooters. Sticks would be slightly easier in this game given that motion is linear instead of integral, and the XBox pad offset helps a little, but nothing works quite as well for me as keys and whole-hand motion.

Yeah the controller thing for me is pretty dire because I never had a NES or any other console growing up, so I don't have the riding a bike level of innate ability. 8-10 years ago I had an OG xbox and PS3 and got a lot more practice, but since then I only use controllers for games that really suck with M&KB.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Do you have God mode on? It scales up damage reduction everytime you die by 2%. It helps but doesn't make the game a cakewalk. I was in the same boat (was playing less relfex oriented games) and it helped a lot.

I did not, but it's time to face the reality that all my posts ITT have been a golf guy yelling at his clubs. I'm old, out of practice, and this game is not loving around.

Hades is kinda a return to Bastion, so I expected it to be similar in the difficulty department. Bastion wasn't terribly hard until the challenge or new game+ stuff. I assumed that god mode was like easy mode in Bastion, based on Greg Kasavin's prior comments about wanting their games to be accessible to everyone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shoot. I made it to the end boss (I think), barely won, and then his health bar refilled and I couldn't do it again.

I really am enjoying this more than I expected to. It's eveything I liked about WoW back in the day, which was learning new classes and rotations and mechanics and then applying them under different conditions.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

moths posted:

Shoot. I made it to the end boss (I think), barely won, and then his health bar refilled and I couldn't do it again.

I really am enjoying this more than I expected to. It's eveything I liked about WoW back in the day, which was learning new classes and rotations and mechanics and then applying them under different conditions.

Ah, experiencing that myself for the first time was a "gently caress" moment.

I'm getting just a touch burned out as I work my way up to Heat 5 with all the weapons. I'm training myself to better dodge on the Final Boss because I've realized the melee weapons can have a hell of time there without a good kiting strategy and I want to be able to pummel him better. Also 30% seems low for that Death Defiance per Encounter skill. I feel like an upgrade to at least 50% would be better, because unless you're stacking health you're in for a world of trouble.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Klyith posted:

Yeah the controller thing for me is pretty dire because I never had a NES or any other console growing up, so I don't have the riding a bike level of innate ability. 8-10 years ago I had an OG xbox and PS3 and got a lot more practice, but since then I only use controllers for games that really suck with M&KB.
I did not, but it's time to face the reality that all my posts ITT have been a golf guy yelling at his clubs. I'm old, out of practice, and this game is not loving around.

Hades is kinda a return to Bastion, so I expected it to be similar in the difficulty department. Bastion wasn't terribly hard until the challenge or new game+ stuff. I assumed that god mode was like easy mode in Bastion, based on Greg Kasavin's prior comments about wanting their games to be accessible to everyone.

The nice thing about it is since the resistance slowly climbs as you die, it’s an easy mode that slowly aligns to how easy you need it to be. It doesn’t start much easier but as you continue to get your rear end kicked, it will eventually get to the point where you start winning 10+ times in a row and the resistance basically stops climbing.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

you mean supergiant? it recommends you use a controller on the intro screen, lmao

Where?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you use a keyboard a little message appears saying a controller is recommended.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 27, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

seriously i think you're thinking of binding of isaac i don't think hades does that

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

seriously i think you're thinking of binding of isaac i don't think hades does that

It does—but only if you have a controller plugged in and move your mouse. Which seems weird, but :shrug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Staltran posted:

It does—but only if you have a controller plugged in and move your mouse. Which seems weird, but :shrug:

:ms:

That's pretty strange. I guess they didn't want to discourage people who don't have a gamepad from playing the game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
My friend thought he was just dogwater at this game and would update me on his very incremental progress all the time. I didn't want to be a jerk about it but it surprised me he had been playing for well over a week without beating Meg, until I realized he was using kbam. Eventually I convinced him to switch over to controller and he beat the game a few days later. Live your truth, but owning a gaming controller is a pretty reasonable investment, so maybe try controller if you haven't.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

brain implant controllers when elon

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I just cleared EM4 for the first time today. Pretty exciting stuff. I like how there's entirely new encounters you probably won't run into until several hours past the 'true' ending. I think I might take a break from the game for now though, the only major milestone left for me is the 32 heat trophy and that's just not as interesting to me.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

dhamster posted:

I just cleared EM4 for the first time today. Pretty exciting stuff. I like how there's entirely new encounters you probably won't run into until several hours past the 'true' ending. I think I might take a break from the game for now though, the only major milestone left for me is the 32 heat trophy and that's just not as interesting to me.

you’re only saying that because you haven’t yet beheld the glory of skelly’s third statue

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

dhamster posted:

yeah I've got all aspects fully upgraded except one, all trinkets maxed, almost all the house work orders and I'm still occasionally hitting new bits of dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I’ve done almost literally everything except grind all the house decorations and Chaos still won’t give me the loving shield aspect keyword. And the shield is my least favorite weapon and I have to keep using it over and over. I’m gonna start suiciding after every first Chaos encounter now jesus.