Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Random grumbling: As somebody who has played hockey religiously for over 30 years now, I still can't quite grasp "slap shot drills" and anything of the like. Both sports just seem too different, idk. Anytime I try to hockey my golf it just causes more problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Got out this morning for a 630 tee time, played 18 with a cart so I could get back for my 9 AM meeting.

I hurt my foot on Monday so I was gimping around, but I don’t think it impacted my game too much.

Shot an 80, 10 fairways, 10 greens, like 34 putts or something stupid, didn’t make a putt over 4 feet. I never make putts in this course though, and there was about a 2 club wind. Really struck the ball great all round though, hit some absolutely pure iron shots.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1397573071519764481?s=19

ugh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao gently caress no

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The last match was some of the best golf entertainment in awhile. With Phil and Bryson this could be fun too. Brady might split his pants on national TV again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DoctaFun posted:

Got out this morning for a 630 tee time, played 18 with a cart so I could get back for my 9 AM meeting.

I hurt my foot on Monday so I was gimping around, but I don’t think it impacted my game too much.

Shot an 80, 10 fairways, 10 greens, like 34 putts or something stupid, didn’t make a putt over 4 feet. I never make putts in this course though, and there was about a 2 club wind. Really struck the ball great all round though, hit some absolutely pure iron shots.

I just don't hit consistently enough to come close to 80.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BKoepka/status/1397613611435036678?s=19

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/PhilMickelson/status/1397618405130207232?s=20

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It's finally stopped raining after 2 and a half weeks of rain every single day, so I'm finally going to get to take part in my club's Thursday night scramble. Teams of 5, very chill, only 9 holes and it starts at 6 so it should be fun.

On the business side of things, I finally got my ballmarkers in after waiting for 2 months. I'll be launching my next design on Saturday and it's one I'm really happy with. I think I have Shopify set up correctly so that it will just go live at noon on Saturday but I'm not totally sure so we'll see.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

God drat

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I loving love Phil lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1397595038356541443?s=20

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

These guys are on fire today lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tom Brady doesn't manage his social media fwiw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't have much tolerance for actual lovely attitudes on the course, but I do love the fun social media snipes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

shyduck posted:

Tom Brady doesn't manage his social media fwiw

Most of those guys don't:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2021-louis-oosthuizen-social-media

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This will probably be awful, but the possibilities are endless.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

It's finally stopped raining after 2 and a half weeks of rain every single day, so I'm finally going to get to take part in my club's Thursday night scramble. Teams of 5, very chill, only 9 holes and it starts at 6 so it should be fun.

On the business side of things, I finally got my ballmarkers in after waiting for 2 months. I'll be launching my next design on Saturday and it's one I'm really happy with. I think I have Shopify set up correctly so that it will just go live at noon on Saturday but I'm not totally sure so we'll see.

This looks killer and for some dumb reason my brain never ventured outside of "comic books" whenever you started the Villains line so it's cool to see other stuff.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's going to be super entertaining. I love it, give me more celebrity pairings like this. It's great for the game.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whose the other Orlando area golfer here? Just got word I get to play Lake Nona on Monday. Super excited about that, course is currently in pristine condition I’ve heard.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Phil and Bryson are going to kill those guys, geeeez.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Stupid newbie question about golf attire: I stocked up on some new polo shirts to prepare for summer golf, and then saw that the forecast for week 2 of my league on Sunday is for a 70% chance of rain and a high of around 50 at tee time.

Assuming it stays dry enough to play, what shirts should I wear for high 40s/low 50s weather?

My first instinct was to go with base layer, some kind of 1/4 zip up fleece/sweater (will need to be purchased).. do I want a light rain jacket on top of that? I guess the goal here is to not freeze my rear end off but not be so bundled up that I can't swing a club.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

Stupid newbie question about golf attire: I stocked up on some new polo shirts to prepare for summer golf, and then saw that the forecast for week 2 of my league on Sunday is for a 70% chance of rain and a high of around 50 at tee time.

Assuming it stays dry enough to play, what shirts should I wear for high 40s/low 50s weather?

My first instinct was to go with base layer, some kind of 1/4 zip up fleece/sweater (will need to be purchased).. do I want a light rain jacket on top of that? I guess the goal here is to not freeze my rear end off but not be so bundled up that I can't swing a club.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in, no one is going to say anything. The few times it gets coldish in florida I'll layer up and remove layers at it gets warmer. Usually for us here though it's just long sleeve compression shirt over top of polo and a light fleece type jacket.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
At those temps, polo plus rain jacket should be enough. Turtle k under polo plus rain gear if more needed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Headed out to the par 3 course again, decided to pair off with another guy trying to figure things out, and I did really well. Got 3 pars in 12 holes of play and a lot more on in 1s. I think if i get rid of the really bad duffs i then just need to work on my short game.

Also, trying to chip it gently is so hard, either i go two feet or i push one out that rolls all the way across the green.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

My favorite layer is a rain and windproof light jacket. They generally aren't cheap for the good ones, I think mine was $200+ from Mizuno, but they're perfect for 60ish and windy with just a polo underneath or 40ish with just an Under Armour layer and a polo.

Find something that you can wear when you need a light layer but also something windproof when you're playing those late fall/early winter rounds where it's not that cold but the wind is biting.

I've been searching for a good 1/4 zip for the in between days but can't find one so far that fits how I want it to and also is that right balance of warm and flexibility.

Edit: Anyone have/worn any Rhoback stuff? They seem pretty heavy into the YouTube golfer space but their stuff looks pretty good but has some serious frat bro/douche vibes to me. I say that as someone who wears a ton of Travis Mathew so take that as you will.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 28, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Had a great driving range session before I played 18 today, my best most consistent longest shots of the year. Drove 313 down the middle on the first hole (par 5) today, a personal best, then hit my 8 iron 170 to the base of the green.

Promptly skulled my 56 over the green, punched it too hard back over, three putted. This proved to be predictive of the rest of the day. Shot a 104. But eagled the par 5 18th so now I have to go back rather than give up golf.

this sport is stupid

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Parker Lewis posted:

For 50s, I wear an underamour 1/4 zip fleece over a long sleeve synthetic tee, and pants, which doesn't seem to interfere with my swing.

For 40s, I wear an underamour 1/4 zip fleece over an underarmor coldgear long sleeve top, and pants. The coldgear top can squeeze a little sometimes.

For 30s or lower, I wear 40s + a sweatshirt + underarmor coldgear tights under my pants, and wool socks. That can get in the way sometimes but if you're playing golf in the 30s then you're usually giving something up conditions wise anyway.

A rain jacket can be nice, but unless it's pouring, I personally find that synthetics and a cart (and a towel in your cart to wipe off the seat now and again) is sufficient.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got 4 pars playing one handed today. Two on par 3’s and two on par 5’s.

I might just have to continue playing one handed once my thumb heals...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Broke 40 over 9 for the first time. Not even my best game I've played! I just happened to sink a lot of ~10 foot putts and did well chipping. This sport is so weird.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Riding or walking makes a huge difference in how warm you need to dress, keep in mind that wind chill! Low 50s while speeding around in a cart(especially if they don’t have a windshield) can feel pretty cold, so make sure you have a layer that blocks wind well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea low 50’s with some wind can feel pretty cold. Especially if the sun isn’t out. You can always take layers off so you’re better off bringing too many than not enough.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Oh poo poo there's a golf thread!

Ok sick, let's get started. This sport is the loving worst but I love everything about it, it is routinely the hardest, most frustrating thing I've ever done, but every now and then I'll crack a 250yd laser beam drive, or hit a flop shot over a bunker and land it 2" from the pin, or sink a 20 ft putt and I come back around on it all over again. This game is like a bad relationship but the sex is too good for me to leave.

I only started playing about 2 years ago because I got invited to the company golf tournament. I told my dad about it a few months before the tourney and he was of the opinion that if I didn't want to embarrass myself I should get started asap. I started with some rando set of clubs that came with the house I lived in at the time (literally the previous owner left a full bag of clubs in the garage when I moved in. They were garbage ones from the mid 2000's but golfing rods are golfing rods :shrug: ) and after that I was hooked. I basically play every chance I get now and have acquired a couple friends that I play with as regularly as we can manage. I've even got my wife casually interested. I still don't really see the appeal of watching it on TV yet, but that's probably more to do with I have no idea who any of these people are.

Anyways, club chat:

I ditched the rando poo poo clubs last year after I got good enough to hit the ball consistently and discovered the reason why these clubs felt like they were bending whenever I swung them was because they were senior flex graphite shafts. Now, I'm not a cheapskate by any means, I'll spend the money if I think it's worth it, but I'm also not super keen on dropping $1500 on a new set of irons, especially when I'm generally still pretty poo poo so my bag is all about deals. If I can get the best bang for the buck, then I till do that. With that said here's the bag:

Irons: Callaway X Series. I got this full set of irons 3H-P for $135 brand new on a flash sale at a local sporting goods store. I wasn't even looking for a new set of irons at the time but it was a deal so good that I bought it on the spot. For the money I spent, and for the clubs they replaced, these are amazing. I love these irons.

Putter: Taylor Made White Smoke Big Fontana. $90 end of year clearance from a golf store. This was the first new club I bought because the head fell off the old putter. It was the cheapest one I could find at the time and I bought it online without trying it. I can't tell if I hate this putter because it's garbage, or if I hate it because I'm garbage. (it's me. I'm the one that's garbage. I'm sure the putter is fine.) In any case I hate this putter and am actively looking for a replacement.

Wedges:Kirkland Signature Wedges. My original found bag didn't have any wedges in it and my dad is a dyed in the wool member of the Church of the 60*. So I originally had some Wilson 60* that I got for $30 (again, clearance flash sale thing). It was ok I guess, I made some good shots with it but I could never put a lot of spin on the ball with it. If I ever tried to do a real steep flop shot or something, the ball would often just roll off the back of the head and not go anywhere. So after watching some youtube reviews on wedges I noticed how much good press the Kirklands were getting. Combine that with it was a set of 3 wedges for the price of 1, and I think it's kind of funny to have Costco clubs in my bag, I went and pulled the trigger on them. I have to say, Costco clubs or not these things are loving sick. My chips are way more accurate, I can put spin on the ball and it sort of goes where I want it to, flop shots don't roll off the back of the club anymore. I'm so impressed with them in fact that I'm eyeing up the Kirkland putter as well. A buddy of mine just bought the Kirkland putter as a laugh because "gently caress it. Yolo. It's Costco. If I don't like it I'll return it." and he says it's actually really nice.

Driver:Taylor Made M4. My dad asked me last year what I wanted for my birthday and I jokingly said "an M4 (like the car) haha what a jokester I am" and he showed up to my house 2 hours later with this. I guess he showed me. It's a good driver though, I like it. I'm not super sold on the twist face thing that the marketing hypes up, most of my drives still seem to sail way off into the other fairway but at least it makes a nice sound.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 29, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

For a new player who falls in love with the game the way I did I’d recommend spending good money on a putter, pitching wedge and driver/3 wood. Those are the three clubs you will be using the most, and it’s a special feeling when you start to feel like you absolutely love a club and feel super confident with it.

I could literally play an entire round with just my 3 wood, PW, and putter (and I have, while playing one handed, since I broke my thumb).

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
For those that are ready to upgrade to a nicer set you definitely don’t have to spend $1500 on Callaway/Taylormade/Ping etc. There’s several direct to consumer brands out there now that are making great clubs and will make them to whatever specs you want. Sub 70 and Haywood are the two I have the most experience with but New Level is another I’ve heard is good.

There’s also Grindworks if you want to play the clubs that the greatest short game player in the world plays.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

For those that are ready to upgrade to a nicer set you definitely don’t have to spend $1500 on Callaway/Taylormade/Ping etc. There’s several direct to consumer brands out there now that are making great clubs and will make them to whatever specs you want. Sub 70 and Haywood are the two I have the most experience with but New Level is another I’ve heard is good.

There’s also Grindworks if you want to play the clubs that the greatest short game player in the world plays.

How good is the QC on those brands though?

I say that as someone who has Scratch(RIP) wedges in the bag until the start of the year when I finally got new ones.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
They’re great, and if you’re not happy with them they all have amazing customer service. I have a Sub70 3-hybrid and love it. I was looking at the irons but really want to go with blades when I upgrade, handicap be damned. I think they have a set of blades now but I’ve been pretty sold on the Haywoods for a while.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Daric posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like Haywood clubs are made in my hometown too which is nice, I'll give them a more serious look through once I start looking for more of a players iron. I've set a goal for myself that once I start consistently hitting under 90 I'd look for a better set of clubs.

Met up with a friend of mine last night and he pulled these out of his trunk:

He said the Spider wasn't his and there was a story behind how he got it. I swung them both in the parking lot but it's kind of hard to judge the quality of a club from a couple test swings in the parking lot without actually hitting a ball.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 30, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, figured it was time to upgrade the M1 3 wood I had because why not.

Hit a bunch of the new 3 woods, the matching Ping to my driver, callaway, and titleist. Hit this one the best and it was also the easiest one for me to turn over into a draw. Also was able to try a few different shafts in each and wound up in a 45g S shaft.

First round with it tomorrow so we’ll see how she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SPEED POCKET

I have the same 3 wood and I absolutely love it.