Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's not conventional but I hope it's welcome

I just got promoted to within spitting distance of my early career goal to hit 6 figures in my 30s.

My parents raised me and my siblings on an income less than half of this, so it makes me feel good to see concrete proof that I'm breaking the cycle of poverty for my family.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I just got promoted to within spitting distance of my early career goal to hit 6 figures in my 30s.

My parents raised me and my siblings on an income less than half of this, so it makes me feel good to see concrete proof that I'm breaking the cycle of poverty for my family.

Grats on your promotion! Now take the increase and shovel it into your retirement savings so you can be blessed to not have to eat cat food when you're old.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 26, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

That is righteous and cool, dude. I bet that feels too good. You should take some time off to reward yourself.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good on ya! Now don't forget where you came from and always be generous with your wealth.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SamDabbers posted:

Grats on your promotion! Now take the increase and shovel it into your retirement savings so you can be blessed to not have to eat cat food when you're old.

Or.... buy a giant truck now!

Cat food for dinner is future you's problem. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zero One posted:

Or.... buy a giant truck now!

Cat food for dinner is future you's problem. :v:

It is the American way.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Right on! Now treat yourself to something nice, start saving for retirement and don't ever forget to be generous with your wealth when it is needed.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/femboyfinance/status/1397532165240500234?s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Congrats! (Though your image doesn’t work; need the link to the image and not the page.)

Financial security is something everyone should experience.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Subjunctive posted:

Financial security is something everyone should experience.

I'd be right there with him if I could just get my candle budget under control.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

I'd be right there with him if I could just get my candle budget under control.

Just stop buying candles

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

mobby_6kl posted:

Just stop buying candles

Cant, just keeps burning through these

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

When I got a promotion from "able to just barely keep above water" to "holy poo poo, I can take a vacation and go out on the weekends and have a retirement account" is such a massive shift in your life and your ability to be happy. I hope everyone gets there one day because not constantly living in fear and doubt is just so liberating.

Just don't forget what it's like to be poor. Never forget that feeling. Never forget that anger. Use it to help get others to where you are.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cocaine Bear posted:

When I got a promotion from "able to just barely keep above water" to "holy poo poo, I can take a vacation and go out on the weekends and have a retirement account" is such a massive shift in your life and your ability to be happy. I hope everyone gets there one day because not constantly living in fear and doubt is just so liberating.

Just don't forget what it's like to be poor. Never forget that feeling. Never forget that anger. Use it to help get others to where you are.

I've heard almost this exact speech from boomers before, and its interesting to me that the only difference is that last half of the last sentence, where they say to use it to get more stuff

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, going from retail to a even an entry level municipal government job with one of the best unions in the country, its loving wild all of a sudden having enough money to afford to pay rent, buy groceries, put money into retirement and still have something to gently caress with afterward is insane. It took me over a year to finally start putting money away because I was never conditioned to put something away because I never had it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

how much easier money makes things is also a big part of why people that have it are such shitheads so yeah, don't forget what not having money was like and treat people accordingly

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ absolutely

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah, going from retail to a even an entry level municipal government job with one of the best unions in the country, its loving wild all of a sudden having enough money to afford to pay rent, buy groceries, put money into retirement and still have something to gently caress with afterward is insane. It took me over a year to finally start putting money away because I was never conditioned to put something away because I never had it.

Yeah, I didn't get a government job, but my first and subsequent computer toucher jobs have been like this. It hosed me up a bit making more straight out of college on my first entry level contract gig than my parents ever made, combined. I still spent years failing to understand the level of comfort and security I had, and being ultra paranoid about my financial situation, and didn't really totally overcome that until relatively recently.

It still feels loving weird to me that I have retirement investments, a 401k, etc and money to help out my friends and family when they've needed it. My parents could never have dreamed of that.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

^^^ absolutely
Yeah, I didn't get a government job, but my first and subsequent computer toucher jobs have been like this. It hosed me up a bit making more straight out of college on my first entry level contract gig than my parents ever made, combined. I still spent years failing to understand the level of comfort and security I had, and being ultra paranoid about my financial situation, and didn't really totally overcome that until relatively recently.

It still feels loving weird to me that I have retirement investments, a 401k, etc and money to help out my friends and family when they've needed it. My parents could never have dreamed of that.

I used to ask my brother all the time to lend me something to get me by until the next payday, now I think I overdo it when I treat him and his kids but I felt like a loving bother for years. Whenever I loan something to him I don't even care if I get it back. That's not to say I'm balling over here, I make ok, but just being able to afford something or give a little to family after all my bills are paid still feels super alien to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Code Jockey posted:

^^^ absolutely

I've had extremely stable employment and a retirement account since I was 19 but my wages have always been kinda bad. I only broke 50K this year and I'm in my 30s. I'll never make the big bucks but when loads of my peers struggled to even get past minimum wage, I slid by in relative comfort.

I live in an expensive city, which really hurts my options, unfortunately.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

^^^ absolutely

i spent 7 years making a business mostly work- as in, had enough to get by on but not a lot extra- so that i could spend time with my kiddo. she's going in to high school next year so i've gone back to having a full time job (though it is work from home) and our family's income effectively doubled overnight. it's really astonishing how different the last month or two have been compared to the preceding ~100 were. forgot what it was like not to have to check the bank balance first thing every morning to see what kind of day i was going to have

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inzombiac posted:

I've had extremely stable employment and a retirement account since I was 19 but my wages have always been kinda bad. I only broke 50K this year and I'm in my 30s. I'll never make the big bucks but when loads of my peers struggled to even get past minimum wage, I slid by in relative comfort.

I live in an expensive city, which really hurts my options, unfortunately.

my income has been sliding for a while. I find it ironic that my first job that I am out at I am making almost exactly 70% of what I made at my last job as a man

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

RFC2324 posted:

my income has been sliding for a while. I find it ironic that my first job that I am out at I am making almost exactly 70% of what I made at my last job as a man

I want to make sure I’m parsing this properly. You are making 70% less now for the same job after you came out?! WTF

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

This is the opposite of blessed. I hope you land somewhere that pays you fairly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sarah Problem posted:

I want to make sure I’m parsing this properly. You are making 70% less now for the same job after you came out?! WTF

no, I got a new job, and the new job pays 70% what the old one did

and to be fair, its unrelated to coming out since I didn't discuss that with them til after I accepted the job

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I wish I could be a computer toucher, I even studied programming

unfortuantely that's where I discovered that it was boring, perhaps some of the most boring poo poo I've ever tried, so I gave it up

But the money is so good nowadays as a computer toucher, and I can never make as much in my current field

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Well, we just took our frequently sad lil rescue dog back out to the woods and he had a blast. He's a Lhasa apso, so a shortlegged, hairy non-rugged puppo, but he fuckin loves to roll in weird stuff, paddle in lakes and smell every weird thing there is to smell.

It was just lovely to see him be a big ol gross dog enjoying all the stinmklyness available. He's so tired now, but he had a great day :3:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pookah posted:

Well, we just took our frequently sad lil rescue dog back out to the woods and he had a blast.

Is this a metaphor? Did you take your sad dog out into the woods and do a mafia-style execution on him? Or tannerite him on up to hound-heaven?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Collapsing Farts posted:

I wish I could be a computer toucher, I even studied programming

unfortuantely that's where I discovered that it was boring, perhaps some of the most boring poo poo I've ever tried, so I gave it up

But the money is so good nowadays as a computer toucher, and I can never make as much in my current field

Don't worry, when they flood the job market with them in another generation nobody will make as much except the owners!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this a metaphor? Did you take your sad dog out into the woods and do a mafia-style execution on him? Or tannerite him on up to hound-heaven?

Who hurt you? Who told you you were funny? That was so so cruel :(

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Pookah posted:

Well, we just took our frequently sad lil rescue dog back out to the woods and he had a blast. He's a Lhasa apso, so a shortlegged, hairy non-rugged puppo, but he fuckin loves to roll in weird stuff, paddle in lakes and smell every weird thing there is to smell.

It was just lovely to see him be a big ol gross dog enjoying all the stinmklyness available. He's so tired now, but he had a great day :3:

My very dainty and precious land walrus dog loves stinmklyness too. She's ancient and blind, frequently acts like the world is ending and nothing is sacred anymore. And then she finds a gross puddle full of tadpoles and she's a puppy for a while. It's so grand.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fizzymercury posted:

My very dainty and precious land walrus dog loves stinmklyness too. She's ancient and blind, frequently acts like the world is ending and nothing is sacred anymore. And then she finds a gross puddle full of tadpoles and she's a puppy for a while. It's so grand.

It's one of the worlds perfect joys is what it is :3:

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
Glorious, fierce sound.
https://i.imgur.com/Fog7Kqg.mp4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poo poo yeah, dude!

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

Sorry I was extremely high and also extremely sure you were plagiarizing youtube comments for some reason and now in the light of morning I feel a little silly.

Oh! Well I don't blame you, the phrasing was very close.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Missing blessed pics of doggos

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKU4iSOIB10

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Wendigee posted:

Missing blessed pics of doggos

My gosh how silly of me.

She always looks this hilarious.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
some people might think this is cursed, he's my bro tho.

https://twitter.com/Beabosaur/status/1117286347964858370?s=20

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

uber_stoat posted:

some people might think this is cursed, he's my bro tho.

https://twitter.com/Beabosaur/status/1117286347964858370?s=20

I love this so much

But everytime it comes up my cat goes into high alert mode and my partner yells at me to turn it off. They both apparently think the little tyke is going to hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:powercatte: