Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

TLOU2 has a lot of good gameplay but you kinda have to go into it prepared for the writers to repeatedly beat you over the head with a stick labeled "REVENGE IS BAD, THIS STICK REPRESENTS REVENGE, DO YOU REALIZE HOW BAD IT IS TO BE REPEATEDLY BEATEN BY IT"

the theme it's really enamored with isn't even the dehumanizing effect of violence (regardless of whether it's in service to a cause) so much as the "every aggressor has their own story" thing, which is like, no poo poo. when i saw that first note in the first thirty minutes that reveals the bigoted old bartender was really a scared hungry guy with a dead wife and two kids i had to resign myself to the fact that druckmann was going to pound this single drum for hours on end

the museum sequence interested me because it hinted at the possibility of a much better story where joel's recent acts of kindness and good works aren't enough to save him from the consequences of the violence he left in his wake, but now i'm back in seattle so it's time to reduce a few more people's heads to lasagna

e: they really hosed up making abby playable so early, i knew she had her own segment but figured it'd be a smash-cut at a crucial moment, not get effectively "spoiled" right at the start. it would've been way better to keep her initial scouting of jackson confined to a cutscene and then make tommy or joel playable if you really wanted cutaway sections from ellie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nuebot posted:

I've been in school classes with three Michaels. Sometimes names really are that common.

One of the Michaels at my school was a girl. No, not Michaela or some variation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedA1-bFvC8

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

I tend to view this as a challenge to game developers to ask themselves “how can we make our systems more intuitive for the player” in more creative ways than “let’s have our supporting character tell you press A to jump” and smear pop-up text all over the screen.

Well, there is and there isn't. In a game where you can crouch, especially a FPS game, guaranteed that there'll be something in the intro that you'll need to crouch under to proceed. Stuff like that.

But honestly, often you need something on the screen like that because you never know who is playing your game. Sure, you and I know that.if you can jump in a game, you just press a button and one of them will let you jump. It's game mechanics 101. But people who have little or no fluency with video game language may not know this off hand, and will need an explicit instruction from the game telling them how to do this.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Well, there is and there isn't. In a game where you can crouch, especially a FPS game, guaranteed that there'll be something in the intro that you'll need to crouch under to proceed. Stuff like that.

But honestly, often you need something on the screen like that because you never know who is playing your game. Sure, you and I know that.if you can jump in a game, you just press a button and one of them will let you jump. It's game mechanics 101. But people who have little or no fluency with video game language may not know this off hand, and will need an explicit instruction from the game telling them how to do this.

it's easy to forget how much previous knowledge you have about games until you try to teach your parents or one of your friends who has never touched a game in your favorite genre

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stexils posted:

it's easy to forget how much previous knowledge you have about games until you try to teach your parents or one of your friends who has never touched a game in your favorite genre

I hate to suggest more work for designers, but games should really come with a setting to choose between "I have never seen a video game before, please help me" and "I have spent a dozen years of my life gaming, just spend five seconds telling me about your control quirks"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

adding to the difficulty is whether the systems within the game are designed well or work as the developer intended, which can lead to an excellent and straightforward tutorial that actively misleads the player :getin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stexils posted:

adding to the difficulty is whether the systems within the game are designed well or work as the developer intended, which can lead to an excellent and straightforward tutorial that actively misleads the player :getin:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Every game is someone's first, and it's nice to have a tutorial sometimes to get used to the systems slowly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

“Tutorial” does not mean “large wall of text that breaks the action every 30 seconds” or “game dialogue is mostly flat summary of things that already happened.” My original point was that in-game tutorials aren’t actually where you see the vast majority of pointless exposition, but in the game script itself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I've been in school classes with three Michaels. Sometimes names really are that common.

I wish they had been more national though. Gimme a fight with six Chang the Ninths.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, most people struggle with just wrangling the camera and walking in a direction before even begin to bring up platforming or a 180° combo attack or any of the dozen things all the weapons in Monster Hunter lets you do.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Last of Us 2 gave us some funny memes, so it has that going?

https://i.imgur.com/N3soEkg.mp4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shadow Tactics had been sitting on the edge of my radar for a while so when I saw it for $4 on the humble store I decided to pick it up. Everything in it is very competent; visuals, level design, stealth mechanics and etc. But After playing 2 hours or so I don't know if I'm going to pick it back up because everything about it is super dry. The plot so far is "you work for the shogun and fight the enemies of the shogun." The characters abilities are all stuff like "stab guy with sword" or "throw a shuriken". This dude can climb ladders while carrying stuff, whereas this guy can swim. I don't need it to be Naruto or whatever but it could stand to be a lot more interesting than it is. Maybe it gets better later but its kind of already lost my interest.

Oxxidation posted:

the last of us 2's "enemies cry out each other's names" mechanic seems half-baked. i've already killed two dana's and i'm barely six hours in

How dare you bad mouth The Last of Us 2: That Dog Had a Name

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stexils posted:

Yeah it's a tricky balancing act. I think with controls becoming more standardised and kids playing more complex games from a young age we'll see the issue largely go away with younger audiences but there's always going to be someone who just doesn't get what they've been sat in front of

I'm reminded of the Lego Star Wars developers talking about their upcoming Skywalker Saga game having more complex gameplay than previous ones and being like "it's still aimed at the same kid audience as Lego Star Wars 1 was, but that was 2005 and your average five year old now is playing Minecraft and Zelda, it's a totally different level of acquired knowledge". Thought that was v interesting

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

One of the Michaels at my school was a girl. No, not Michaela or some variation.

Did Spock go to your school too, or just Burnham?

bony tony posted:

I thought Cyberpunk 2077 was laying it on a bit thick when we were going to the heist and Jackie Welles couldn't stop talking about how we were in the major leagues now

Allegedly the cut scene that plays between you meeting Jackie and going on the heist was originally going to be act 1 of the game and they pulled it because the game was "too long" - I think that the extra time spent with Jackie would have made the way the heist is written feel less like a parody even if it was obvious that he was going to die during it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

if a game's going to treat me like i'm stupid enough to care whether my ten thousandth CGI-rendered corpse has a name then the least it could do is change up the voice clips

But only by changing the recording of the name.

"Oh god, she shot Francine !"
"Let's flank her! You go right, Jeff !"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm reminded of the Lego Star Wars developers talking about their upcoming Skywalker Saga game having more complex gameplay than previous ones and being like "it's still aimed at the same kid audience as Lego Star Wars 1 was, but that was 2005 and your average five year old now is playing Minecraft and Zelda, it's a totally different level of acquired knowledge". Thought that was v interesting
I've been playing a bunch of Lego games with my now 5 year old over the past few years. The early ones are quite frustrating to play with her and one of the reason is that they don't have on-screen button prompts for most things.

Another is that they are really inconsistent about what buttons actually do things, with B (on XBox) often being the basic action button but also being cancel. It makes (more) sense to me but is understandably confusing for her.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Lego games with my now 5 year old over the past few years. The early ones are quite frustrating to play with her and one of the reason is that they don't have on-screen button prompts for most things.

Another is that they are really inconsistent about what buttons actually do things, with B (on XBox) often being the basic action button but also being cancel. It makes (more) sense to me but is understandably confusing for her.
I think they're still all built on the original engine and it's been creaking under the weight for years now, as I understand the big deal with the new SW one is that it's a totally new engine which is extremely overdue and hopefully will be a bit less janky

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

exquisite tea posted:

“Tutorial” does not mean “large wall of text that breaks the action every 30 seconds” or “game dialogue is mostly flat summary of things that already happened.” My original point was that in-game tutorials aren’t actually where you see the vast majority of pointless exposition, but in the game script itself.

The absolute worst tutorials are the ones that don't let you not do them. Mobile games in particular tend to be the worst about this, and the new Hero Academia game has a very long tutorial that just straight up disables anything except clicking on the flashing button they want you to click. Never mind if you want to play the game at your own pace, or explore the menus, or turn the chat off (you can't, and that's why I uninstalled it shortly after finishing the tutorial). Nope, just gotta spend the next hour clicking on buttons without any real agency in the matter, which I personally find only discourages me from retaining any of the information because after a few clicks I start clicking faster just to make the tutorial go away as soon as it can so I can do what I want and not what the game wants me to do, which is learning systems that I won't be engaging with for like hours and hours since they dump everything on you at the start instead of spacing it out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think they're still all built on the original engine and it's been creaking under the weight for years now, as I understand the big deal with the new SW one is that it's a totally new engine which is extremely overdue and hopefully will be a bit less janky

The complete lack of splitscreen in the early games is another problem when playing with a preschooler. I just wish they hadn't ditched dynamic splitscreen entirely.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Any time that they repeated a name in TLOU2 they should have an 'other' spliced in there

'Oh no! Mike!'
'Oh god, they got other Mike!'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Any time that they repeated a name in TLOU2 they should have an 'other' spliced in there

'Oh no! Mike!'

fat mike, short mike, tall mike, glasses mike, party mike, short-but-not-quite-as-short-as-short-mike mike...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

'Oh no! Mike!'

I can't wait for the next Hitman mission that parodies TLOU2 like this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

'Oh no! Mike!'

"They got Mike!"
"So? gently caress that guy!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The rioters in the Division are a faction made up exclusively of people named Alex.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

“Ggaaaarrrrryyy! Gary Gary! Gaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy!!!”

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Retro Futurist posted:

“Ggaaaarrrrryyy! Gary Gary! Gaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy!!!”

“They’ve killed Fritz! They’ve killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies!”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

'Oh no! Mike!'

"They killed Neil!"

"Fat Neil!??"

"No! Jorts Neil."

"Oh, well that's not so bad then."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alhazred posted:

"They got Mike!"
"So? gently caress that guy!"

Go with the FEAR Replica Soldier dialogue

"They wiped out the whole squad!"
"gently caress you!"

"Brick!"
"gently caress!"
"poo poo!"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I used to call the enemy suited guys in GTA Online Medonzas since they all scream "Medonza's been hit! Medonza's been loving hit!" God, GTA Online was such a poo poo game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDBPeRqi3v0

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah. Training is a skill, and just throwing information at your audience isn't effective. But to your point I was originally complaining about non-gameplay related writing, where cutscenes and conversations just go on and on, to the degree that it ruins plot beats because I've stopped caring by the time they get around to the point.

Tender Bender has a new favorite as of 19:50 on May 26, 2021

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The complete lack of splitscreen in the early games is another problem when playing with a preschooler. I just wish they hadn't ditched dynamic splitscreen entirely.

The dynamic splitscreen made me feel seasick so I'm glad they dumped it. Horrible feature.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

wafflemoose posted:

I used to call the enemy suited guys in GTA Online Medonzas since they all scream "Medonza's been hit! Medonza's been loving hit!" God, GTA Online was such a poo poo game.

GTA Online is funny because it started out as such a barebones thing so it will always have a bunch of base content that is very half assed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

GTA Online is funny because it started out as such a barebones thing so it will always have a bunch of base content that is very half assed.

Rockstar did basically no work on how an MMO should function and will be profiting off of it for decades. I almost have to respect that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Demon negotiation

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Len posted:

Demon negotiation

I like how in Persona 5 Royal they gave up and had your current navigator just tell you what kind of responses to pick.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Demon negotiation

Always shin every game it shows up in, literally every other system is better than rolling a dice and pretending as if you have agency.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more TLOU2 stuff

the setting sucks. the country-trotting/seasonal aspect of the first game was great because i got to scavenge in a variety of different locales with distinct styles and color palettes, but seattle is every bit as monotone and miserable here as it is in real life, albeit with slightly worse roads. i like picking through ruins for rolls of duct tape more than the average person, but at this point half the reason i'm slashing people's throats is to get some more color in the place

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's one of my main beeves with AC Valhalla. Medieval England looks so dang bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

more TLOU2 stuff

the setting sucks. the country-trotting/seasonal aspect of the first game was great because i got to scavenge in a variety of different locales with distinct styles and color palettes, but seattle is every bit as monotone and miserable here as it is in real life, albeit with slightly worse roads. i like picking through ruins for rolls of duct tape more than the average person, but at this point half the reason i'm slashing people's throats is to get some more color in the place

I also had no trouble finding parking so that really took me out of it