Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

If you rent you're just hosed, if you're buying a house in a suburb then whatever developer built the suburb used the cheapest materials and did it as fast as possible because every second a house is not sold they're losing money on it so you're just hosed, basically the only houses normal people can afford that are built out of anything but twigs and crepe paper are very old (and therefore a nightmare for other reasons) or one you explicitly have custom-built yourself (at which point it's no longer a house a normal person can afford)

they are usually fine until about starting in 1995 or so . maybe a little earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I lucked into buying a custom made house from 1958. Its external walls are cubed cedar logs. We're the second owners because the dude who built it lived to 103, so we have ALL the original documents, including light fixture brochures and appliance catalogs.

You can find gems even in Nowheresville, MO if you know where to look.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Turns out wall construction discussion = goon catnip

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

in either case aint nobody havin a baby

This too good a post to have been overlooked.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Burglers casually busting through the wall like koolaid man

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shwqa posted:

A fisted size rock and a decent hurl in the right place would probably be enough.

I'm always disappointed in horror movies when people are "trapped" in a room. You can literally punch a hole through drywall. There are memes about it. The drywall can't contain you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

punching through studs and wires is harder

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

euphronius posted:

punching through studs and wires is harder

Yes. Many angry young men have accidently found a stud while having a temper tantrum.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm always disappointed in horror movies when people are "trapped" in a room. You can literally punch a hole through drywall. There are memes about it. The drywall can't contain you.
most of those take place in older homes tho

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

tokin opposition posted:

Turns out wall construction discussion = goon catnip

gently caress your walls, give me all roof.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i love a-frames

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's a smart or convenient way to burgle, just crazy to think how easy it would be

Well, there's usually some kind of siding (such as brick) on the outside you gotta get through.

My new building has steel siding. :smuggo:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey Mario, how do you like your new glasses

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i love a-frames

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spacetoaster posted:

Well, there's usually some kind of siding (such as brick) on the outside you gotta get through.

My new building has steel siding. :smuggo:

On a lot of houses it is plywood covered in plastic and then vinyl siding. You can't punch your way through but it's not impossible with tools. A window would be easier though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proust Malone posted:

i was thinking first about insulation, but now I’m imagining my entire house sliding off a road and ending up in a ditch.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I went to high school in western Montana and there was a family of five that lived up in the middle of nowhere in an old school bus. Family of five. Two high school aged kids. They were home schooled too so they never got out. Can't imagine what that was like

JULY 30: EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

On a lot of houses it is plywood covered in plastic and then vinyl siding. You can't punch your way through but it's not impossible with tools. A window would be easier though.

Forget penetration it's all about the defenestration

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

For reference, my lovely little UK terrace house was built in 1913 and is still incredibly structurally sound.

I tried to drill some holes in one of the exterior walls to mount stuff and it just ate the drill bits

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

If you want to know whether you're buying a good chess set, the only piece you need to look at is the knight.

All the other pieces are trivially knocked up on a lathe in eight seconds flat, but the knight is either hacked out of a lump of cheap, misshapen scrap wood in five minutes by a six year old Filipino child who didn't have the manual dexterity to get a job in a Nike sweatshop, or it's a work of hyperrealistic art, painstakingly and precisely carved over the course of a fortnight out of precious endangered rainforest hardwood. By a six year old Filipino child who turned down the Nike sweatshop gig to further their artistic potential.

It's the latter piece that costs the money, though obviously next to none of it goes to the six year old Filipino child.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spuckuk posted:

For reference, my lovely little UK terrace house was built in 1913 and is still incredibly structurally sound.

I tried to drill some holes in one of the exterior walls to mount stuff and it just ate the drill bits

Do you not have adhesive hooks on your side of the pond?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you not have adhesive hooks on your side of the pond?

Try mounting a TV with command strips

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Spuckuk posted:

your drill bits being eaten just means they were poo poo and/or the wrong kind, it has nothing to do with how structurally sound it is

my parents live in a wooden house from 1890, wood is a great way to construct houses and is very eco-friendly, but it requires good building practice

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/WormDrivePRO/status/1397450307492147200?s=19

:ohdear:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Charles Ingalls posted:

your drill bits being eaten just means they were poo poo and/or the wrong kind, it has nothing to do with how structurally sound it is

Also drilling too fast can melt any bit. Concrete and porcelain, you gotta go low and slow. Not a bad idea to have some water to cool off the bit as well

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

If you rent you're just hosed, if you're buying a house in a suburb then whatever developer built the suburb used the cheapest materials and did it as fast as possible because every second a house is not sold they're losing money on it so you're just hosed, basically the only houses normal people can afford that are built out of anything but twigs and crepe paper are very old (and therefore a nightmare for other reasons) or one you explicitly have custom-built yourself (at which point it's no longer a house a normal person can afford)

Are McMansions built out of the same bullshit?

Also also, what about your bathrooms? Do you stick tiles on the drywall or how does this poo poo work?

Also this makes those The Purge movies a lot more hilarious where people turn their suburb houses into a fortress by having metal plates in front of the windows and doors or whatever like dude what about your walls?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:12 on May 26, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Devil posted:

Yes. For a given amount of money you can have a huge flimsy mcmansion to impress your friends right now, or a really solid modest family home that will still be in great shape in 50 years.

Some Mcmansion stuff seems below baseline construction. Like pillars and molding molded out of foam. It looks okay when new, but how is a foam pillar going to stand up to a family running around, or someone bumping into it while moving heavy furniture.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks okay when new, but how is a foam pillar going to stand up to a family running around, or someone bumping into it while moving heavy furniture.

Or a parrot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Also also, what about your bathrooms? Do you stick tiles on the drywall or how does this poo poo work?

You can tile onto drywall just fine

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

GotLag posted:

Or a parrot

lol cockatoos rule

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Milk, Milk, lemonade

The algorithm is where claim denials are made

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Below the (excellent) topsoil Denmark is about 50/50 clay and sand which is not very exciting but absolutely everything built before the invention of poured concrete (which, hello, sand) is made of bricks and made to last. I've never lived in a house that wasn't at least 80 years old and sturdy as gently caress.

We don't get any tornados but I feel we could take them on.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I'll take two

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah, exclusively

Orange Devil posted:

Well there's generally a waterproofing layer applied first, then you grout and tile over that. It's not actually as big a deal as it'd seem at first glance, I've never had problems with it anywhere I've lived :shrug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lol guess they were getting roasted as these tweets got deleted.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Zil posted:

Lol guess they were getting roasted as these tweets got deleted.

Good think nothing leaves the internet forever!

https://web.archive.org/web/20210525164546if_/https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1396868188676280328

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1397564444247527427

https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1397567626491142146

The blog:

quote:

TL;DR: We do not use, and we’re not trying to build, AI that uses physical or personal features to deny claims.
There was a sizable discussion on Twitter around a poorly worded tweet of ours (mostly the term ‘non-verbal cues,’) which led to confusion as to how we use customer videos to process claims. There were also questions about whether we use approaches like emotion recognition (we don’t), and whether AI is used to automatically decline claims (never!).

The term non-verbal cues was a bad choice of words to describe the facial recognition technology we’re using to flag claims submitted by the same person under different identities. These flagged claims then get reviewed by our human investigators.

This confusion led to a spread of falsehoods and incorrect assumptions, so we’re writing this to clarify and unequivocally confirm that our users aren’t treated differently based on their appearance, behavior, or any personal/physical characteristic.

AI is non-deterministic and has been shown to have biases across different communities. That’s why we never let AI perform deterministic actions such as rejecting claims or canceling policies.

Let’s be clear:
AI that uses harmful concepts like phrenology and physiognomy has never, and will never, be used at Lemonade.
We have never, and will never, let AI auto-reject claims.
Here’s why: We do not believe that it is possible, nor is it ethical (or legal), to deduce anything about a person’s character, quality, or fraudulent intentions based on facial features, accents, emotions, skin-tone, or any other personal attribute.

So, why do we ask for a claim video in the first place?
The simple answer: Because it’s better for our customers, making it easier for them to describe what happened in their own words.

We also believe it may reduce fraud. Behavioral economics research, much of what inspired Lemonade’s business model and B-corp status, has shown that we humans are less prone to lying when we’re looking at ourselves speaking in a mirror/selfie camera.

Coupled with the Pledge of Honor we ask customers to sign, and the fact that your unclaimed premium goes to a charity you believe in, we think this brings out the best behavior in all of us (insurer and insured), and allows us to pay legitimate claims faster while keeping costs down.

What’s next
In the past few years, we have had ongoing conversations with regulators across the globe about fairness and AI. We have published about this topic, and run an internal program (together with external AI Ethics Advisors) to look into the ways we use AI today and the ways in which we’ll use it going forward. We hope to share more about these topics in the coming months.

About Lemonade
The way insurance companies are traditionally built is based on a conflict of interest, since every dollar they pay out to the customer is a dollar less for their bottom line. Lemonade is different: We take a flat fee up front, and the rest goes towards paying legitimate claims. If there’s money left over, it goes to a charity that the customer chooses (this is called the Lemonade Giveback).

This way, we reduce the conflict in paying legitimate claims; the customer has less incentive to embellish their claim (since leftover premiums go to a charity they chose, and not to Lemonade), and socially impactful nonprofits can be supported annually by our growing customer base.

This way of thinking, coupled with technology, makes for an efficient and fast claims process, allowing us to resolve around 1/3 of our claims instantly—in seconds. It also allows us to keep rates low, and frees up our human team to deal with emergencies and complex claims.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
This is Lemonade too, hmmmm, im sure this will never produce discriminatory results

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Cyber punk villains: we are not cyberpunk villains nor are we a corncob

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Biplane posted:

Man this capitalism poo poo fuckin sucks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/millennials-driving-health-insurance-costs-134900984.html

Millennials are the ones raising the prices! Not our greed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that they hyper-focused on the one person who made a joke that it was phrenology and not on everyone else saying "yeah uh if you run the video through any sort of algorithm like you said you do that's automatically adding bias"