Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I am now firmly of the opinion that all extension cords should look like this:
But yeah, 12 gauge is plenty, and you can do whatever color you like. I have two black, an orange, a yellow, and a white one, that I can think of off hand.

I can't go back to cords without lighted ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Always. You could probably use another ratchet too that way you can have two loaded up.

I got two ratchets as gifts when I needed to replace one. I never knew I needed two identical ratchets, but man it's wonderful.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, this looks like it's $30 off: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-1-4-in-3-8-in-1-2-in-120XP-EVA-Socket-Tray-Mechanics-Tool-Set-94-Piece-83071-07/314638196

Not sure I like the assortment of actual sockets, but the foam to fit in a drawer is nice, and the extensions are nice, and hrrrnnnggg 120-tooth ratchets.

I have another socket set in a blowmold case that kind of a pain in the rear end, I could let that one live in a car and keep the gearwrench set in the garage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks good but I really loving hate inclusion of 12pt sockets

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

12-pt sockets on a 120-tooth ratchet :wtc:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OMGVBFLOL posted:

12-pt sockets on a 120-tooth ratchet :wtc:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Aren’t the 120 ‘tooth’ ratchets really just a 60 tooth with a double-but-half-size pawl?

Or do I have it backwards and it’s 120 half-size teeth with a normal pawl?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

Aren’t the 120 ‘tooth’ ratchets really just a 60 tooth with a double-but-half-size pawl?

Or do I have it backwards and it’s 120 half-size teeth with a normal pawl?

quote:

120XP ratchets have two double stacked 60-tooth pawls (120 positions) providing a 3° swing arc so you can turn fasteners in tighter confines
Double-stacked pawls alternately engage the 60-tooth gear, providing exceptional strength

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

looks good but I really loving hate inclusion of 12pt sockets

Yeah, that's why I wasn't crazy about the sockets. I was thinking of just getting the ratchets and extensions/accessories, and buying six point metric/SAE, in shallow and deep varieties.

Having a nice foam cutout for everything would be nice, though, especially since I haven't seen a socket rail I liked since those flexible silicone ones went out of production a few years ago.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Exceptional in which direction? They don’t specify.

https://toolguyd.com/gearwrench-120xp-dual-pawl-ratchet-disassembled/

I’m not likely to bust one, honestly. Just seems like a teeth arms race.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you want to go down the road of diy foam...kaizen foam is pretty good. I did several shelves in my toolchest. I might have even posted it in this thread?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I didn't see an AI deals type thread so here I am. Pep boys is closing, I don't know if all locations are doing it the same way, but my local shop has 40% off in store purchases of everything in stock other than tires, auto parts and batteries.

They also have some mail in rebates.

https://pepboys.com/shell-rotella-gas-truck-full-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30-5-qt-/product/2194109

This shell rotella "gas truck" synthetic is available in a few weights and would have been free after rebate before considering the clearance discount.

So if the rebate actually goes through, I got paid about $14 to get oil and filters for 2 oil changes on my wife's car.

Might be a good opportunity to stock up on consumables like filters, detailing supplies, etc, maybe some tools?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tyro posted:

I didn't see an AI deals type thread so here I am. Pep boys is closing, I don't know if all locations are doing it the same way, but my local shop has 40% off in store purchases of everything in stock other than tires, auto parts and batteries.

Best I can tell they are only closing 5% of stores that are underperforming. I haven't been able to find a list yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

Exceptional in which direction? They don’t specify.

https://toolguyd.com/gearwrench-120xp-dual-pawl-ratchet-disassembled/

I’m not likely to bust one, honestly. Just seems like a teeth arms race.

The exceptional comment is marketing for sure. I really like mine though, and the cost was fair. Anytime I can get more turn for my swing I'm happy. I've removed bolts that only got three clicks on it and I bet it would have been just one click on a 60 tooth.

I have a 3/8 regular one and a long 1/2" flex head.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

Best I can tell they are only closing 5% of stores that are underperforming. I haven't been able to find a list yet.

Ah ok, that makes sense, and unfortunately also makes what I posted probably not nearly as useful for most.

Although hey the motor oil is still free after rebate even if not on clearance.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

That looks like a pretty great solution, actually. Are there any name brand but not $350 portable bandsaws worth getting?

I’m not opposed to buying the Milwaukee 6238 if it’s the right one (picked that one based on multiple sites saying it’s the best, but i don’t know), but if I opt for the table with the miter gauge (which I think I want) I’m looking at $600 all in.

Not going to lie, the Bauer was tempting until I saw kastein’s comments :v:
Update: I waffled on this a little bit before deciding that it was probably worth getting the good one. The 6238-20 is gnarly as hell. I haven't ordered the table yet, but I'll probably figure out a way to do some test cuts this weekend. I don't think cutting anything that fits in that 5"x5" square is going to be very difficult.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm trying to convince my boss that we need a hydraulic press in the shop for pressing bearings.
Whats a decent brand of shop press?

Alternatively:
Is a Princess Auto special sufficient for something like this? I figure if its just a welded and bolted together steel structure, they can't gently caress it up that bad can they?

I don't know how many tons of capacity it would be. Likely 10 or less.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've seen multiple places get by with the Harbor Freight presses.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you want a manual press for once in a blue moon use, a princess one is fine, which is basically a glorified manual bottle jack.

You will gently caress up the bearing well before you'll gently caress up the press, even a questionably built one.

Interference fit bearings do not need that much force to seat... or at least smallish ones don't. Once you start talking about ones big enough that you have a hard time lifting that's another story but they have other methods at that point.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, yeah most of the need (currently) is to press bearings that are less than 2 inch diameter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The press tonnage is often less of an issue than having room in the press frame to fit what you're working. Get the HF 20 ton ideally, if it's not in budget get the 12 ton. I've been using the 12 ton for years now for exactly what you described, but sometimes it's annoying to fit assemblies in it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

Interference fit bearings do not need that much force to seat... or at least smallish ones don't. Once you start talking about ones big enough that you have a hard time lifting that's another story but they have other methods at that point.

Man I love it when we get to break out the liquid nitrogen at work, so much fun.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A freezer followed by computer duster upside down can get you pretty far.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sticking the insert in the freezer and the recepticle in the oven is always fun

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dry ice and isopropyl alcohol is the poor man's liquid N2. -109°F (-79°C). I used it at an old job to liquify gases into pressurized bottles at atmospheric pressure.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

trying to smear grease on frozen parts is never fun tho

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

um excuse me posted:

Dry ice and isopropyl alcohol is the poor man's liquid N2. -109°F (-79°C). I used it at an old job to liquify gases into pressurized bottles at atmospheric pressure.

Oo. Do you have a link/more detail on how this can be diy?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wrar posted:

Oo. Do you have a link/more detail on how this can be diy?

This isn't on gas liquefaction but removing sound deadening is another common application of this cooling bath mixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eesr-AcQzNw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Btw I recommend Car Scanner on android.

Way more intuitive to interface with your car quickly.

Super easy to get going and get real time graphs without having to do a lot of configuring.

I had torque constantly eat up my battery trying to scan my car while my car wasn't even on or nearby, I haven't had Car Scanner do that mostly because it keeps a few disconnect options handy when it's running, even in the background

Also the UI look has been updated past Jellybean.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

sticking the insert in the freezer and the recepticle in the oven is always fun

Caveat, if you have to make a bath for the insert from a tarp, it's unlikely you'll fit the receptacle in most ovens :v:

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I'm trying to convince my boss that we need a hydraulic press in the shop for pressing bearings.
Whats a decent brand of shop press?

Alternatively:
Is a Princess Auto special sufficient for something like this? I figure if its just a welded and bolted together steel structure, they can't gently caress it up that bad can they?

I don't know how many tons of capacity it would be. Likely 10 or less.

If you have shop air, a foot pedal operated press is really nice

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Agree, these are also game changers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Unfortunately, we have no air at the shop.
We've talked about it from time to time, but really the most it would get used for is tires. We've got electric stuff that covers most everything.
Though yeah, not having to pimp a handle on a bottle jack would be fuckin sweet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:eyepop:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

We've got a small compressor that gets used mostly for tires, but would be woefully inadequate for anything more than a nail gun.
So I guess we *DO* have some air, but not much.

I've been with the company for 17 years and we've always been able to get by without it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally get you can get away with it now. It's still just a mindfuck for me. Air was just ubiquitous with any auto/industrial shop it's weird for me to hear when one doesn't.

But yeah, cordless is absolutely a game-changer for shops.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought you were making a joke about him working in a vacuum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not that clever :saddowns:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I meant no air as in the shop is full of poisonous gas.

Well it is after I take a dump in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

We've talked about it from time to time, but really the most it would get used for is tires. We've got electric stuff that covers most everything.
Though yeah, not having to pimp a handle on a bottle jack would be fuckin sweet.

Air tools are so much better, lighter, cheaper than cordless though that’s crazy to me

No idea what your shop does but wtf