Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he once eat a cannoli filled with dog poo poo on the Real World? I'd go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Inspired by the Dumb wrestling opinions thread - what are the best Miz matches? Not including MitB or other clusterfuck matches I can really only recall his one match with Daniel Bryan from 2010 or 2011 being really great. I think there was a match with Ziggler at one point too that people raved about. Anything else stand out?

The Ziggler match was No Mercy 2016 and iirc was very good. Other than that he had a really hot intercontinental title match against Seth Rollins at Backlash 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't the match where he pinned Roman good?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

NikkolasKing posted:

is Wrestling With Shadows good and worth a watch?

All the B&V&C reviews of the new A&E docs makes me curious about this old one. I think Bryan might have said something disparaging about it last week but I can't recall for sure. Maybe he just mentioned it.
Yes, as long as you understand that, for some reason, Paul Jay made the decision to frame it as if Montreal was being PLANNED as Bret's last night in the WWF even though it wasn't the case.

Also, Paul Jay has it up for free on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wZhA5s3kI

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Inspired by the Dumb wrestling opinions thread - what are the best Miz matches? Not including MitB or other clusterfuck matches I can really only recall his one match with Daniel Bryan from 2010 or 2011 being really great. I think there was a match with Ziggler at one point too that people raved about. Anything else stand out?

There is a match he had with wade barret from a random raw that was actually pretty drat good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

There is a match he had with wade barret from a random raw that was actually pretty drat good

Wasn't it Miz's fault that Barrett had to save a dive to nowhere and ended up getting injured

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't it Miz's fault that Barrett had to save a dive to nowhere and ended up getting injured

Wasn’t in this match. There is a hosed up neckbreaker spot though. Still a much better match than I expect from the miz

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

davidbix posted:

Yes, as long as you understand that, for some reason, Paul Jay made the decision to frame it as if Montreal was being PLANNED as Bret's last night in the WWF even though it wasn't the case.

Also, Paul Jay has it up for free on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wZhA5s3kI

I've long wondered how people feel about Montreal:

1. Did it essentially destroy Bret's career?
2. How did it change the industry?
3. Does Vince become the biggest villain in history as a result of this event, or would that have happened anyway?
4. Did any of the (planned) repeats mean anything?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Wasn’t that injury part of a hastily put together battle royal that ended up with half the participants hurt in some way?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then I guess he was the guy that got hiffed out the ring by the Big Show. I'm not sure you can really blame Miz for that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kurt Angle Shield versus Assorted Bad Guys was pretty great, and Miz was basically the heels' ringleader throughout and took the endgame finisher spam

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 26, 2021

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Red posted:

1. Did it essentially destroy Bret's career

1) As far as I understand it, the screwjob itself didn't hurt Bret's career too much, other than it making sure he'd stay in WCW. The only thing that really destroyed his career was WCW being a mess and tragedies happening in his life every time he got closer to the top of the card, and that's mostly unrelated. (WCW squandering Bret right after Montreal was bad, but that's just a symptom of WCW being bad at this.)

For the rest of those questions, other people are in a better place to answer them.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn’t that injury part of a hastily put together battle royal that ended up with half the participants hurt in some way?

Don't remember whether it was hastly put together, but it was a 10-men battle royal on Raw in February 2012. Big Show gorilla-pressed Ziggler to the outside, but used too much force and Ziggler overshot Truth, crashed down on Barretts arm and still hit his head on the announce table. As bad as the injury was for Barrett, if he wasn't in the way it looked like Ziggler would have hit the edge of announcer table chin- or throat-first, which could have been an even worse injury.

And then of course, a minute or so late Cody (of Stardust fame) had to throw out Santino and for whatever reason threw him over the same side towards the announcer table and Santino landed right on Barrett's arm, further worsening the injury.

Don't remember what the other injuries were on that show (I think Dolph actually got a concussion in a dark match after that show rather than during this match), but it was massively hosed up for Wade.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

2. How did it change the industry?
3. Does Vince become the biggest villain in history as a result of this event, or would that have happened anyway?
4. Did any of the (planned) repeats mean anything?

IMO

1. No. Bret SHOULD have been able to capitalize on this in WCW, but WCW was WCW. WCW hurt his career more than Montreal did, because he should have been coming off of it hot.
2. I think it propelled Vince into the spotlight more than he already was, probably at a faster rate, but I don't think much else changed. They were already doing worked-shooty kind of stuff with Bret and Shawn leading up to this, plus the rise of Austin.
3. Yes. He was already starting to lean into the "I'm the boss, and Steve Austin needs to listen to me and calm down" stuff if I'm remembering correctly. Austin was well on his way to beating up authority figures and all that, so Vince would have been the natural progression.
4. All of the Montreal callbacks have sucked.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

IMO

1. No. Bret SHOULD have been able to capitalize on this in WCW, but WCW was WCW. WCW hurt his career more than Montreal did, because he should have been coming off of it hot.
2. I think it propelled Vince into the spotlight more than he already was, probably at a faster rate, but I don't think much else changed. They were already doing worked-shooty kind of stuff with Bret and Shawn leading up to this, plus the rise of Austin.
3. Yes. He was already starting to lean into the "I'm the boss, and Steve Austin needs to listen to me and calm down" stuff if I'm remembering correctly. Austin was well on his way to beating up authority figures and all that, so Vince would have been the natural progression.
4. All of the Montreal callbacks have sucked.

With the benefit of hindsight, I don't hate the Rock/Mick one. But the rest are pointless navel gazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't mind the Punk one, but that's because they explicitly subverted it by having Cena stop Vince from ringing the bell.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I don't mind the Punk one, but that's because they explicitly subverted it by having Cena stop Vince from ringing the bell.

One of the few times Cena has looked like a moron, too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite is the version of Montreal where Raven put Captain Nice in the Sharpshooter and the betrayal caused Jesse Ventura to quit wrestling and go into politics.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This isn't a recreation of it, but that time Shawn said he invited Bret to come back and bury the hatchet, played his music, waited a few minutes, and then was like "lol pranked" was a nuclear heel move.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

This isn't a recreation of it, but that time Shawn said he invited Bret to come back and bury the hatchet, played his music, waited a few minutes, and then was like "lol pranked" was a nuclear heel move.

This reminds me of a time when we went to see RAW in Montreal in college. There was a commercial break so everyone went to the bathroom and concessions and then out of nowhere, Bret's music started to play and everyone ran back toward the arena like crazy people, myself included.

It was an ad for a CD or DVD or some bullshit.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Red posted:

For as much as Bret's WCW stint is maligned, he was still a two-time world champ, four-time US champ, and one-time tag champ. Aside from WCW being a clusterfuck, his career was going fine. The actual literal career-ending injury was what ended his career. If that doesn't happen, there's a realistic scenario where he becomes a top guy in TNA or even returns to WWE and has a match with Michaels which brings in a fuckton of money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

For as much as Bret's WCW stint is maligned, he was still a two-time world champ, four-time US champ, and one-time tag champ. Aside from WCW being a clusterfuck, his career was going fine. The actual literal career-ending injury was what ended his career. If that doesn't happen, there's a realistic scenario where he becomes a top guy in TNA or even returns to WWE and has a match with Michaels which brings in a fuckton of money.

It really wasn't going fine. They completely wrecked his momentum after the Flair feud. But he was huge coming into WCW, his match with Flair was big business. But the turns and getting shoved into the midcard really, really hurt him. He went from a difference maker to a guy very quickly and listing off his title runs, especially "being a two time champ" really completely misses the point. Look at the two reigns!

Would he have still had some residual value? Sure, but Bret was probably on his last contract and was getting incredibly disillusioned with wrestling.

Montreal made him a bigger star than ever before and WCW wasted it. He was very entertaining during his severe groin injury phase, but the guy was completely wasted.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lily Catts posted:

Roppongi 3K from NJPW too.

I know that Toru Yano was an accomplished amateur wrestler and even dabbled into MMA. What are his best serious matches, or ones where he actually puts those skills to use? I remember him doing a particularly snappy arm drag in a random match. Didn't he try working a cleaner style in the 2018 G1 Climax?

Okada reading the roppongi 3k photo book is one of my favourite pictures

But yes roppongi 3k is the answer

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gavok posted:

My favorite is the version of Montreal where Raven put Captain Nice in the Sharpshooter and the betrayal caused Jesse Ventura to quit wrestling and go into politics.

lol this is good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's always worth reiterating that Bret went from the hottest commodity in wrestling, with several pre-made storylines and feuds at any decent booker's disposal, to feuding with the guys from MadTV in the span of less than two years.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Shawn was actually cutting an anti-Hogan promo in Montreal, referenced Bret, and said he'd screw him again given the chance. Perfect timing for the music to hit.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's always worth reiterating that Bret went from the hottest commodity in wrestling, with several pre-made storylines and feuds at any decent booker's disposal, to feuding with the guys from MadTV in the span of less than two years.
WCW was literally gifted a layup and completely bricked it. A lot of people (including my teenaged self) thought the screwjob was the beginning of the end of the WWF.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yes Bret could show up to our company as the hottest face in the world off the sympathy from getting screwed or, and this is gonna blow your mind... Bret could sort of kind of join the nWo after a few months!

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

anakha posted:

Shawn was actually cutting an anti-Hogan promo in Montreal, referenced Bret, and said he'd screw him again given the chance. Perfect timing for the music to hit.

Did Bret ever mention what he thought of this, or other instances of it? I end up re-watching this particular one every few years and it's always just crazy how loud...everything about it was.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

WCW was literally gifted a layup and completely bricked it. A lot of people (including my teenaged self) thought the screwjob was the beginning of the end of the WWF.

I thought the same, on both counts.

Nowadays, though, looking back, I wonder if the screwjob ruined Bret's reputation as a top guy. Bret debuted on a Nitro as the announced special referee for a stupid Bischoff/Larry match, and the crowd cheered, but it wasn't huge. Bret had some creative control at WCW, so he could've vetoed or changed some of the stuff he was handed, but then, he was limited by his no-compete clause. Bret never seemed like a big deal, even when involved with Goldberg or another top name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Yes Bret could show up to our company as the hottest face in the world off the sympathy from getting screwed or, and this is gonna blow your mind... Bret could sort of kind of join the nWo after a few months!

If it weren't such a terrible idea over all, suddenly one starts to see the argument for creative control in a wrestler's contract. I'm not sure that would occur to Bret, though, I admittedly haven't read his book so maybe he talks about thinking it and deciding not to, I don't know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

Nowadays, though, looking back, I wonder if the screwjob ruined Bret's reputation as a top guy. Bret debuted on a Nitro as the announced special referee for a stupid Bischoff/Larry match, and the crowd cheered, but it wasn't huge. Bret had some creative control at WCW, so he could've vetoed or changed some of the stuff he was handed, but then, he was limited by his no-compete clause. Bret never seemed like a big deal, even when involved with Goldberg or another top name.
I remember when he did the program with Goldberg and he said he'd been "handfed" opponents, and they had that match where they spent part of it in the corner with Bret trying to wrench Goldberg's knee. I remember thinking it all seemed very real at the time. But I was a weird kid who never liked Hogan or Goldberg and was a mark for the vanilla midgets.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was DDT Digest the leading unoffical WCW website when it was all happening or just the biggest that survives to this day?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Am I right in thinking that Bret also broke or at least fractured his wrist when he punched Vince in Montreal? If so, that coupled with the no-compete clause certainly didn't help things, but the all-too-brief "dream feud" with Flair was still fun enough when it finally happened. It was definitely all down to WCW after that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember when he did the program with Goldberg and he said he'd been "handfed" opponents, and they had that match where they spent part of it in the corner with Bret trying to wrench Goldberg's knee. I remember thinking it all seemed very real at the time. But I was a weird kid who never liked Hogan or Goldberg and was a mark for the vanilla midgets.

Bret's best WCW moment was tricking Goldberg with the steel plate. Aside from the silliness of the El Dandy thing

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Am I right in thinking that Bret also broke or at least fractured his wrist when he punched Vince in Montreal? If so, that coupled with the no-compete clause certainly didn't help things, but the all-too-brief "dream feud" with Flair was still fun enough when it finally happened. It was definitely all down to WCW after that.

I think it was cut short because they didn't especially like each other

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 27, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CM Punk just RT'd this:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1397718041732038658

Unselfish? I think back to 1996, and I know Undertaker/Diesel were angry with Bret about the finish to the cage match, which ended up convincing Nash it was time to leave. Bret's match with Undertaker at the Royal Rumble was, well, boring; he'd probably gotten the news he was dropping the belt to Shawn soon, and, apparently, just stopped giving a poo poo. Bret could pull great matches out of everyone, and then he had the whatever-fest with UT at RR96, then the bad cage match with Diesel a month later (his previous matches with Diesel were all at least good, and the Survivor Series one was amazing). After dropping the belt to Shawn, he up and disappeared for 6-7 months. Was it a break, a chance to renegotiate with Vince, or was he really considering retirement?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Red posted:

CM Punk just RT'd this:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1397718041732038658

Unselfish? I think back to 1996, and I know Undertaker/Diesel were angry with Bret about the finish to the cage match, which ended up convincing Nash it was time to leave. Bret's match with Undertaker at the Royal Rumble was, well, boring; he'd probably gotten the news he was dropping the belt to Shawn soon, and, apparently, just stopped giving a poo poo. Bret could pull great matches out of everyone, and then he had the whatever-fest with UT at RR96, then the bad cage match with Diesel a month later (his previous matches with Diesel were all at least good, and the Survivor Series one was amazing). After dropping the belt to Shawn, he up and disappeared for 6-7 months. Was it a break, a chance to renegotiate with Vince, or was he really considering retirement?

According to his book, he wasn't chuffed about needing Diesel's help to beat Taker and Taker's help to beat Diesel later, plus he had been going pretty non-stop since he'd started with the company. And yes, his contract was up. He was fully expecting to come back to a rematch with Shawn at WM 13.

If you want a fun example of him being dismissive, read his summary of the Patriot feud.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Everything I've ever read about Bret makes me believe that he would've dropped the belt after Survivor Series, that he was being truthful about not wanting to drop it in Montreal.

I have to wonder, if he had stayed, what his career in the Attitude Era would've been like.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Everything I've ever read about Bret makes me believe that he would've dropped the belt after Survivor Series, that he was being truthful about not wanting to drop it in Montreal.

I have to wonder, if he had stayed, what his career in the Attitude Era would've been like.

“Commissioner Bret”

Or he’d quit/jump to WCW upon Owen’s death (assuming the rest of the timeline is unchanged).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite Montreal reference was HBK putting Benoit in the Sharpshooter in Edmonton while the first ref has been KO'd. Earl Hebner runs out as a replacement and teases calling for the bell and the crowd go absolutely crazy thinking he's going to screw another beloved Canadian world champion out of the title. Hebner calls it straight, Benoit escapes the hold and wins by submitting Michaels in the Sharpshooter. WWE was in full apology mode to Canada that night.