Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I went to my local freshwater striper lake and totally smashed schoolies and white bass until my arms got sore. I didn't catch a striper over 5 pounds, but holy gently caress can a 5 pound striper bend the rod on bass gear. I experienced a school of threadfin shad which was more than 100ft in diameter. It never got hotter than 80 degrees and had a max wind of 8 mph. It was like heaven on earth. I can't a 2.03lb sandbass that was just shy of 18 inches.

My thumb can't unlock my phone and probably won't for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

OniPanda posted:

40 lb? Hooo boy, I bet your arm is sore. I got a 30 lb recurve and sometimes I wish I woulda opted for the 20 lb. I'm pretty strong, and can easily draw when I'm fresh, but my arm tires out a lot faster than with a 20 lb.

I'm actually really interested in how this all works out, because I've also flirted with the idea of bow fishing.

Yeah it's a hell of a workout and I'm feeling it today. They say you want a heavier draw because of how heavy the fishing arrows are. I figure it's a good enough excuse to start lifting again.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone around Minneapolis have a good shore fishing spot? It will be catch and release so don't worry, they'll still be there. I also probably don't know what I'm doing to catch enough. Bass or pike I suppose unless there's a walleye shore spot somewhere.

I'll share that the docks near the band shell at Lake Harriet is pretty easy to catch bass. Just using a wacky rig and we'll catch 5 or so in an hour.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone around Minneapolis have a good shore fishing spot? It will be catch and release so don't worry, they'll still be there. I also probably don't know what I'm doing to catch enough. Bass or pike I suppose unless there's a walleye shore spot somewhere.

I'll share that the docks near the band shell at Lake Harriet is pretty easy to catch bass. Just using a wacky rig and we'll catch 5 or so in an hour.

Check my posts and you’ll see my Nokomis muskie, the lobe west of the Cedar bridge is where I caught that.

Edit: It has tasted blood and hit a dicklure, so don’t wade in nude.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Check my posts and you’ll see my Nokomis muskie, the lobe west of the Cedar bridge is where I caught that.

Edit: It has tasted blood and hit a dicklure, so don’t wade in nude.

Is there a pier or just straight shoreline?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

How far are you willing to drive? There is some phenomonal trout fishing just across the border into Wisconsin around River Falls. A fly rod or a light spinning rod would do well.

I know a lot of people fish from shore on the East River Flats Park in the Mississippi River at the University of Minnesota. It's also a gay hook-up spot if you're into that.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a pier or just straight shoreline?

Just the shoreline. The Minneapolis Parks website also says the west side of the Franklin Avenue bridge has some bass in the Mississippi.

In the Minneapolis thread we are talking about a Nokomis goonmeet/goonfish if you are interested?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

How far are you willing to drive? There is some phenomonal trout fishing just across the border into Wisconsin around River Falls. A fly rod or a light spinning rod would do well.

I know a lot of people fish from shore on the East River Flats Park in the Mississippi River at the University of Minnesota. It's also a gay hook-up spot if you're into that.

Seconding this when it comes to trout. I had a blast with a guided wade down by Lanesboro, caught some brown trout and a brookie!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

KingKapalone posted:

Go to Minnehaha Falls. Go down to the stream. Follow the stream to the Mississippi.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Anything more specific about where around River Falls? What sort of tackle should we have on a spinning rod?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
how does one remove the hook from a pike or muskie? grab it under the gill plate, gloves and pliers?

I hope I catch one one day, but I'll probably be unprepared if I do.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Planet X posted:

how does one remove the hook from a pike or muskie? grab it under the gill plate, gloves and pliers?

Pliers, I got nipped when I tried to take my lure out of the one I caught because I didn’t grab the pliers right away.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Planet X posted:

If someone has a set of lip grippers you can use those in one hand and pliers or long hemos in the other hand.

A set of long, heavy, curved hemostats are great for removing hooks from toothy rear end holes

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

titties posted:

If someone has a set of lip grippers you can use those in one hand and pliers or long hemos in the other hand.

A set of long, heavy, curved hemostats are great for removing hooks from toothy rear end holes

One thing that transcends the gap between the worlds of salt and freshwater fishing is avoiding getting bitten by toothy rear end in a top hat fish.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

Anything more specific about where around River Falls? What sort of tackle should we have on a spinning rod?
Kinnickinnick below River falls. The Brookie streams east of town are fun, but really tiny. Only a couple pools you can hit with a spinning rod.

Small Mepps spoon 1.5", silver

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 27, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Kinnickinnick below River falls. The Brookie streams east of town are fun, but really tiny. Only a couple pools you can hit with a spinning rod.

Small Mepps spoon 1.5", silver

So that's over in the Kinnickinnic state park?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

So that's over in the Kinnickinnic state park?

between the park and town. There are a couple access points that require a bit of a hike.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

KingKapalone posted:

I've fished beneath the dam several times and have had some success. Does anyone know if the dam is even still up? I remember talk of taking it down.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone have tips on fishing around St. Pete FL?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gamera009 posted:

Anyone have tips on fishing around St. Pete FL?
Freshwater or saltwater?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I ended up pulling the trigger on an Orvis clearwater 6 wt 9 ft. This gives me a little bit heavier rod than a standard 5 so I can throw both standard trout flies and a littler larger flies for small smallmouth.

Fished the Shenandoah this am up near Harper's Ferry. Beautiful morning.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Planet X posted:

Fished the Shenandoah this am up near Harper's Ferry. Beautiful morning.

Jealous. Have you tried stripping a muddler minnow behind the rocks? Its bass candy.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Freshwater or saltwater?

Yes.

Focusing on salt right now.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Currently heading to the Chewucan River in Southern Oregon to chase some native Redband Trout. As I opted to leave all my spinning stuff in Bend I’m not terribly confident I will catch anything, but I’m gonna stomp around in a river and see what happens.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

King of Bees posted:

Jealous. Have you tried stripping a muddler minnow behind the rocks? Its bass candy.

I just got some muddler minnows, so not yet, but I'll do that soon. My weekend float trip was rained out, so I took my friday off to scout around fishing locations on the Potomac, Shenandoah and Monocacy. I only landed a chub, but it was a nice morning to be out. Since I live in both bass and trout country, I'm trying to figure out my tackle. Various names, hatches, etc can be daunting, as I don't tie, I just like to fish.

Many of the access points are overfished or property of the various river outfitters, so I'm trying to figure out where I can park, wade and, and slog up or downriver to a good spot with riffles and rocks.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Planet X posted:

I just got some muddler minnows, so not yet, but I'll do that soon. My weekend float trip was rained out, so I took my friday off to scout around fishing locations on the Potomac, Shenandoah and Monocacy. I only landed a chub, but it was a nice morning to be out. Since I live in both bass and trout country, I'm trying to figure out my tackle. Various names, hatches, etc can be daunting, as I don't tie, I just like to fish.

Many of the access points are overfished or property of the various river outfitters, so I'm trying to figure out where I can park, wade and, and slog up or downriver to a good spot with riffles and rocks.

Big Hunting up in Maryland is another good trout stream amd a little further up in PA is Yellow Breeches (lots of fun, good nymph practice) and the super technical limestone streams like Letort, however those limestones are shadows of their glory days due to pollution. As for matching the hatch i only bother when its super obvious. When it doubt throw a foam beetle out there. Everything likes to eat june bugs.

Also just remebered if youre in a 17 year cicada area just forget about it for a few weeks. The fish are gorged out. That was my experience back in WV anyways.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. I live close to Big Hunting, I just don't go up there as often as I should. That'll change this year, especially after they stock in the fall. I've been up on the Breeches once a few years ago with a guide friend, it was a ton of fun and I should (like Big Hunting Creek) make a point to get up there again. That's where I was introduced to nymphing with scuds. The person I was with tied on two on one leader, I need to figure out what knot that was.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
NO fishing for me this weekend because the state of texas can't keep a boat ramp open if the lake is at 100%. My tax money at work!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I successfully stomped around in a river and only lost one fly. Learned that the 3wt rod I have is really drat twitchy but the 5wt is a dream.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi goons, my partner is looking for a general fishing rod (mostly trout/salmon) to use ~5 times a year. She's very petite (just under 5') and doesn't know much about this stuff - turns out neither do I.

We went to a massive [url]https://www.basspro.com/shop/en#]fishing store[/url] and looked around and found that stuff was of course delineated way more than we thought it would be with specific gear for specific things. I don't know why I assumed it wouldn't be like that but anyways we noticed they had these "Ugly Stiks" which we thought was a good size or whatnot for her, and at a good price point. What's the recommendation here? Even the Ugly Stik comes in a lot of variants and she doesn't really like the red. Budget is around $80 USD and preferably less. Thanks in advance buds.

e: Assuming she'll need the rest of the kit as well such as the line and tack (is it tack?), is there a go-to like $20-30 starter kit for that stuff?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VelociBacon posted:

Hi goons, my partner is looking for a general fishing rod (mostly trout/salmon) to use ~5 times a year. She's very petite (just under 5') and doesn't know much about this stuff - turns out neither do I.

We went to a massive [url]https://www.basspro.com/shop/en#]fishing store[/url] and looked around and found that stuff was of course delineated way more than we thought it would be with specific gear for specific things. I don't know why I assumed it wouldn't be like that but anyways we noticed they had these "Ugly Stiks" which we thought was a good size or whatnot for her, and at a good price point. What's the recommendation here? Even the Ugly Stik comes in a lot of variants and she doesn't really like the red. Budget is around $80 USD and preferably less. Thanks in advance buds.

e: Assuming she'll need the rest of the kit as well such as the line and tack (is it tack?), is there a go-to like $20-30 starter kit for that stuff?
Kit line sucks. If you buy anything nice, get good line.

I'm a big fan of the Mitchell Avocet rod combo as a starter package. Get that plus some nice line and you're set for around $50.

As for tackle, go to your local bait shop and buy what they tell you. Just buy what you intend to fish with that day and grow from there.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Got a chance to go out to the bougie trout club pond and saw one smart rainbow that went into the weeds and broke my line off, and discovered that no matter what there are bass and bluegill in every if it's more than like 2 feet deep. Caught every baby bass and bluegill while the trout laughed at me.

A successful day!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Right now the Minneapolis goons are working on planning a meetup by Nokomis this weekend, still figuring out exact timing but if you want to fish/hang with goons on Sunday let me know.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Bass pro sucks, full stop. I notice you've mentioned your partners height as a thing with your choices, but until you get into heavy duty deep sea stuff its not gonna matter. My best friends 5'2" fiancee goes fishing with us and has had no problem using a 6'6"-7'11" rod when fishing.

The bigger thing will be matching the rod/reel to the species you are targeting and the conditions you are fishing in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Kit line sucks. If you buy anything nice, get good line.

I'm a big fan of the Mitchell Avocet rod combo as a starter package. Get that plus some nice line and you're set for around $50.

As for tackle, go to your local bait shop and buy what they tell you. Just buy what you intend to fish with that day and grow from there.

Elmnt80 posted:

Bass pro sucks, full stop. I notice you've mentioned your partners height as a thing with your choices, but until you get into heavy duty deep sea stuff its not gonna matter. My best friends 5'2" fiancee goes fishing with us and has had no problem using a 6'6"-7'11" rod when fishing.

The bigger thing will be matching the rod/reel to the species you are targeting and the conditions you are fishing in.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Mitchell Avocet stuff is harder to get in Canada, there's these two listings on amazon but both are out of stock.

Should this be more medium or light weight? Kinda just looking for a recommendation of like 6-7' rod, medium weight or something like that?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Ugly sticks are perfectly adequate for beginners, if you're just starting out I think any combo you find in the $50-60 range from an established brand is going to be pretty comparable. Here in my corner of the south I know a lot of people like the Berkley lightning rod and it's priced right around the ugly stick, but I've never thrown one.

I think a 6' medium rod is the sweet spot, it'll be a little heavy for trout and might be a little light for salmon but she'll still have a bunch of fun either way. Throw away whatever line comes with it, spool it up with some fresh 8lb test or so and spend the rest of your budget on what the guy at the bait shop tells you to put on the end of the line, trout like in-line spinners like mepps or rooster tails and they also like it when you just drift a worm on a tiny hook with a little bit of split shot.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Mitchell Avocet stuff is harder to get in Canada, there's these two listings on amazon but both are out of stock.

Should this be more medium or light weight? Kinda just looking for a recommendation of like 6-7' rod, medium weight or something like that?
For trout and salmon, you want a medium weight. 6'-6'6" is fine. I was poking around on Amazon.ca and apparently everything is out of stock. Just go to Wal-Mart (you have those, right?) and pick up something medium action and you should be fine. If it sucks, use it to figure out what exactly she wants and order that while you fish with your WalMart combo.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Snook are insane. Pretty, but also kinda bonkers how much fight a little 3-ish# fish will put up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

VelociBacon posted:

You say salmon or trout but a little more info could be good. Are you fishing from a boat? A beach? A dock? Do you know generally how big the fish are that you could catch? Also what kind of reel spin casting or bait casting? Canada is huge.

Ugly Stiks are a great starter pole. I generally buy them because if they bust I'm not out hundreds of bucks. Good price break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Minneapolis Goonmeet/goonfish

11 AM Sunday in this parking lot, I'll drive down so we can meet at the blue Rav4 if that works? Or look for the goony looking people burning in the sun.

https://goo.gl/maps/1N6cSdWmLoFx5b8F8