Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is this guy big on aliens or what?
I don't get it

I want aliens

where are my aliens

he's not afraid to touch 'radioactive' subjects on his wanna be news show :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A MIRACLE posted:

under the pacific I think

i played terror from the deep and I think we should leave the underwater aliens alone, they're too powerful

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's easy to blast a rocket at a UFO but a torpedo? are we gonna catch some with a spiky naval mine? we aren't meant for underwater combat

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

isn't sagaar a republican

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

has anyone brought up that this is all probably just a ruse to get people to post "hey look at this UFO" phone pics on twitter from a variety of countries to croudsource intel about aircraft in a variety of airspaces

like im 100% sure i got that idea from someone much cleverer than myself

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

it's easy to blast a rocket at a UFO but a torpedo? are we gonna catch some with a spiky naval mine? we aren't meant for underwater combat

declare the Others are a delicious delicacy and wait for asian fishing fleets to comb the pacific scooping them all up?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

blatman posted:

has anyone brought up that this is all probably just a ruse to get people to post "hey look at this UFO" phone pics on twitter from a variety of countries to croudsource intel about aircraft in a variety of airspaces

It's pretty transparently meant to lower resistance to talking about flying things that people have seen and normalize or encourage reporting them, probably because somebody at the pentagon realized that military and civilian pilots have been basically punished and ruined for life for 80 years whenever they report seeing something strange and so they're all afraid to admit it when they see a drone or anything.

The point of that ridicule culture was to keep people quiet about experimental US aircraft during the cold war/Pax Americana, but now that there's a very good chance that other countries are flying drones in US airspace, it's counterproductive. Posting pictures could be a part of that.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

blatman posted:

other people have brought it up but it doesn't make sense to me because people do that anyway and cellphone videos aren't exactly great data

My bet is that it's more about convincing pilots and related professions that encounter these things semi-regularly to come forward without as much stigma and mockery, which to be honest is something we should be doing anyway. Even if they're all weather balloons, if you have weather balloons frequently getting close to planes mid flight you want pilots reporting that, not going "oh no i'll be mocked as a conspiracy theorist! better stay quiet until one of these things hits my plane."

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

A MIRACLE posted:

isn't sagaar a republican

Yeah that show rising is like hannity and colmes only the power dynamic is reversed and the dweeb is the republican

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Log082 posted:

other people have brought it up but it doesn't make sense to me because people do that anyway and cellphone videos aren't exactly great data

My bet is that it's more about convincing pilots and related professions that encounter these things semi-regularly to come forward without as much stigma and mockery, which to be honest is something we should be doing anyway. Even if they're all weather balloons, if you have weather balloons frequently getting close to planes mid flight you want pilots reporting that, not going "oh no i'll be mocked as a conspiracy theorist! better stay quiet until one of these things hits my plane."

The army had a longstanding policy of grounding pilots for some long period like a month and of forcing them to get a psychological evaluation every time they reported seeing something, which was definitely intended to stop them talking about things they saw back when there was a good chance it was an experimental US airplane. Commercial airline still have policies like that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's pretty transparently meant to lower resistance to talking about flying things that people have seen and normalize or encourage reporting them, probably because somebody at the pentagon realized that military and civilian pilots have been basically punished and ruined for life for 80 years whenever they report seeing something strange and so they're all afraid to admit it when they see a drone or anything.

The point of that ridicule culture was to keep people quiet about experimental US aircraft during the cold war/Pax Americana, but now that there's a very good chance that other countries are flying drones in US airspace, it's counterproductive. Posting pictures could be a part of that.

I follow you up to the point where we have respected pilots doing interviews where they say "I have no idea what this is and it defies everything we understand about flight" because then the US message has to be "we don't know either" which makes us look like dumbshits and opens our "adversaries" up to say "it's ours and you all suck" or we say "it's ours but don't ask any more questions" which... why bring it up in the first place if we already know what it is

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

double post because fed twitter is even getting in on the fun
https://twitter.com/USNHistory/status/1397628607288197129?s=20

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

blatman posted:

it’s a ruse by a bunch of conspiracy theorists to get more funding since the 100m dollars they got for this exact propaganda a decade ago has dried up

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

if it actually were the government it would be because they want to control the populace by introducing unseeable enemies with advanced weaponry that could wipe us out at any time

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Vomik posted:

if it actually were the government it would be because they want to control the populace by introducing unseeable enemies with advanced weaponry that could wipe us out at any time

Because they lack control now or something?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Think Less posted:

Because they lack control now or something?

do you think power stops trying to seize more power or?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

do you think power stops trying to seize more power or?

Power prefers maintaining the status quo to introducing huge unknown variables

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if it exists, no matter where it came from, the only reason to roll it out to the public is they need the masses to produce it to the scale they want. otherwise youd think they would go for secret space program all the way...unless they know something we dont about wet lung climate death

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Can't imagine China letting the US keep that secret either. There are just way better options for control than freaking out the public with aliens.

Think Less has issued a correction as of 22:06 on May 26, 2021

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If these UFOs are moving around so fast in the atmosphere, tens of thousands of miles per hour etc, then why aren't they heating up the air from friction? Or creating massive sonic booms?

Here's an example of the Nike Sprint, which went mach 10, launching and immediately heating up and creating a vapor/plasma trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dl9Ovwmnxw&t=240s

Would seem to suggest they're not material

OK baizuo has issued a correction as of 00:34 on May 27, 2021

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
they’re in a spacetime bubble OP, peep for gravitational lensing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

OK baizuo posted:

If these UFOs are moving around so fast in the atmosphere, tens of thousands of miles per hour etc, then why aren't they heating up the air from friction? Or creating massive sonic booms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afLsRsd5roY&t=4056s

duh :rolleyes:

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
lmao if you think a thing like friction is applied to advanced FTL physics like lmao

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So this spacetime bubble of air and its contents moving around at superluminal speeds isn't interacting with the atmosphere either for some reason, sounds like it checks out

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"shields" basically, you'd need it to deal with micro asteroids and dust and stuff while you're flying around in space anyway

e or hypergating the phlogistic interdimensional medium or whatever

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 01:31 on May 27, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Actually it's more like you phase "in and out" around them while they're within you as you go, it's hard to explain

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
in convinced - 'fluxliner' is the perfect dumdum name they'd give a manmade ufo in the 1950s/1960s

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OP has correctly identified one of the reasons these things are loving weird. congrats.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Log082 posted:

OP has correctly identified one of the reasons these things are loving weird. congrats.

Honestly though they're loving weird

e would be wild if it's some kind of natural phenomena, I feel like we need someone to get killed by one to be sure

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Vomik posted:

*thinks back on companies with a huge successful products and almost every inventor* i can fully believe a company can do one thing and then never produce anything of value again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZS0afL2BeQ&t=80s

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did that fleet of unidentified drones hanging around the midwest ever get identified?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/UltimoLegend/status/1397415489815465985

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

so do u guys think aliens are posting on the internet

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

i believe

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

A MIRACLE posted:

if they're not they hosed up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

imagine mastering space travel but not having the ability to post. What's even the point

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I wonder if they can read everyone's posts and understand them, but they don't "get" internet humor

Or more terrifyingly if that's what they understand the majority of our communication to be so that's how they talk at first contact

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

aliens from the internet would be worse than angels from the bible

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

aliens from the internet would be worse than angels from the bible

theyre shitposters, just like us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James