Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

mrmcd posted:

I don't even know what you are talking about but from your description it sounds adjacent to the "permit expediter" every Park Slope brownstone owner is hiring to get their million dollar renovations moving.

Ah, sorry, I was mostly going off a bunch of Twitter noise, but here's The City's writeup:
https://www.thecity.nyc/2021/5/16/22439168/dianne-morales-water-meter-bribe-probe

But... yeah, it doesn't even sound like reno poo poo, it sounds like Classic New York Bullshit the Mob is Kind of Involved in and she was literally the victim of criminal intimidation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's the dumbest scandal i've ever heard

the lady had a $12,000 water bill and said "gently caress that," like everyone else that would receive it

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I'm probably way off base here but as a non-New Yorker, I'm surprised at just how bad the candidates are. Since they all seem like no-names outside of Yang, I figured there would be more of an ideological range. It seems like all of them are horrible aside from 1. How did the field get to be so bad?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Complete rot from decades of one party rule. Plus, the leftist orgs pushing to elect better candidates have been focusing pretty exclusively on house seats, state legislature, and city council instead of mayor and citywide offices.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I also blame fusion voting for forcing several parties into selling out to mainstream Dem candidates to keep their ballot access.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Well Stringer was a very good candidate prior to the allegations (and some lovely campaigning/weird stuff in council hearings, although not really worse than anything DeBlasio was pulling before he won the primary). He had a base of establishment support, and he was reaching out to progressives in safe but meaningful ways. I was prepared to rank him kinda high.

There are other "good" candidates along the same lines (Adams obviously, although he's meeting other constituencies). Garcia and Wiley are both pretty well known inside city politics, and their issues are mostly due to Yang's name id making everything stupid.

Morales is Good but she's too cool to be elected

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Eric Adams was a cop wtf are you on about

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Eric Adams was a cop wtf are you on about

The question was about why everyone's an empty suit without a clear platform who couldn't rip the mic away from Yang. That does not describe Adams (who sucks!) with his clear lane he's running in, and his constituency among whom he's polling well. He sucks and I hate him and his clear messaging (which is "I am a Republican").

(It also does not describe Dianne Morales with her crystal clear message, but she freaked out whitey, so she isn't polling as well)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

okay I see what you’re saying

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Euphoriaphone posted:

I'm probably way off base here but as a non-New Yorker, I'm surprised at just how bad the candidates are. Since they all seem like no-names outside of Yang, I figured there would be more of an ideological range. It seems like all of them are horrible aside from 1. How did the field get to be so bad?

This is a pretty typical mix for an NYC mayoral primary; it’s pretty rare that most or even any of the candidates really have name rec outside of the city. I mean, who outside of NY had heard of Bill DeBlasio?

Most of the candidates are reasonably powerful figures locally who are just being clowned more than usual in the ID element of the race by a ‘prominent’ national figure who literally just ran a presidential campaign a year ago being in the race.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/ziwe/status/1396168058478153732?s=21

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
This interview

https://twitter.com/ziwe/status/1396896581996142592

lead to this cartoon

which resulted in articles like this

I don't know how I feel about the whole debacle. NYC has a history of giving Mayoral candidates poo poo for not being "New York" enough Remember when that sicko De Blasio said he liked toasted bagels?. But there's obviously a larger issue going on in NYC with racism towards AAPI people and the cartoon is tone deaf in that regard. I'll admit that I didn't know "tourist" was a racial slur until today.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

This interview

https://twitter.com/ziwe/status/1396896581996142592

lead to this cartoon

which resulted in articles like this

I don't know how I feel about the whole debacle. NYC has a history of giving Mayoral candidates poo poo for not being "New York" enough Remember when that sicko De Blasio said he liked toasted bagels?. But there's obviously a larger issue going on in NYC with racism towards AAPI people and the cartoon is tone deaf in that regard. I'll admit that I didn't know "tourist" was a racial slur until today.

It's not and this is weaponized IDPOL.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

But there's obviously a larger issue going on in NYC with racism towards AAPI people and the cartoon is tone deaf in that regard. I'll admit that I didn't know "tourist" was a racial slur until today.

I guess in that any word can become a slur if used as one sure but lol at anyone who thinks the actual meat of the cwritique of yang is based on his ethnicity

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If tourist is a racist term then it would be more directed at Swedes.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

It's not and this is weaponized IDPOL.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

If tourist is a racist term then it would be more directed at Swedes.

Americans

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lost my job because I called a coworker part of the "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd. Cancel culture has gone too far.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

It's dumb when people complain about Yang loving up authenticity shibboleths, but largely because that poo poo gets more coverage than either questionable character poo poo (leaving the city for covid) and displays of relevant incompetence ("let's invent domestic violence shelters"), let alone actual policy ideas.

But it's a healthy and civically beautiful thing when we all lose our poo poo over De Blasio breaking out a steak knife at the pizzeria, because it allows us to come together to emphasize and reinforce our shared values, like how high you have to pile the toppings before you break out the knife.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
First they came for the tourists,

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

a tourist is anyone who moved to the city later than I did, that includes people born here after 1988

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm worse than a tourist: I'm a commuter. The last few times I was in NYC it was passing through to JFK.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

betaraywil posted:

But it's a healthy and civically beautiful thing when we all lose our poo poo over De Blasio breaking out a steak knife at the pizzeria, because it allows us to come together to emphasize and reinforce our shared values, like how high you have to pile the toppings before you break out the knife.

*my face turns red and i start spitting*

break out the knife when you throw my cold decomposing body on top of it, chicago pizza poo poo will never have a foothold goddamit

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/Curbed/status/1395877335052730373

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Okay, the Daily News response is kind of illuminating:
https://twitter.com/MayorsRace2021/status/1397284076835463171?s=20

It helps that these are bigger versions of the file. From the thumbnail, the caricature might not be that bad, but if you look at it at full size, it is in fact very bad. Note the "Normal" cartoon people on the right etc. It's a really incompetent caricature that has a bunch of stereotyped features, and it completely undermines the editorial purpose of the cartoon.

Do I think Yang's campaign is being opportunistic and hoping to take one of the more damning critiques of the campaign off the table? Sure. Do I buy the "tourist is a racial slur" angle? Absolutely not. Are the people responsible for loving this up the lovely caricaturist and the series of editors who let the lovely caricature through to print? Yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the face is inexcusable

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Imagine doing a racism instead of going after his so many lovely policies. loving NYC media.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

betaraywil posted:

It helps that these are bigger versions of the file. From the thumbnail, the caricature might not be that bad, but if you look at it at full size, it is in fact very bad. Note the "Normal" cartoon people on the right etc. It's a really incompetent caricature that has a bunch of stereotyped features, and it completely undermines the editorial purpose of the cartoon.

Do I think Yang's campaign is being opportunistic and hoping to take one of the more damning critiques of the campaign off the table? Sure. Do I buy the "tourist is a racial slur" angle? Absolutely not. Are the people responsible for loving this up the lovely caricaturist and the series of editors who let the lovely caricature through to print? Yes.

huh good followup thanks for posting

the racism notwithstanding, that cartoon is hideous. i do not miss my time in poliutoons

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

I glanced through his twitter feed and he has done that weird squished face with thin lines for eyes on non-Asian public figures too, but his art style is literally all over the map in terms of faces. The best case is he's an incompetent who walked right into the rake because of course people are going to immediately compare faces of the other people in the cartoon.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I keep seeing this Eric Adams ads on YouTube and I can't stand the guy. Like you talk about being a victim of police abuse, you than became a cop and did gently caress all about it. It's driving me insane

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KomradeX posted:

I keep seeing this Eric Adams ads on YouTube and I can't stand the guy. Like you talk about being a victim of police abuse, you than became a cop and did gently caress all about it. It's driving me insane

In this world its be abused by cops or be the cop abusing.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
lol who actually has a "favorite subway station". I guess if you had to pick one Times Square 42nd street is relatively nice

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol who actually has a "favorite subway station". I guess if you had to pick one Times Square 42nd street is relatively nice

Lots of people do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I do have a soft spot for the Prince St. station, because the silhouette of the tired student on the tiles spoke to me as a college kid. But I don't know if I'd say it's my favorite

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Emotionally I like the Culver Viaduct (4th/9th and Smith/9th) because it's a period of sunlight on the fairly dour F train. I also like Fort Hamilton because you just roll into the lion's den entrance by Ocean Parkway and if you need to take your bike on the train for some reason it's only one flight down to the platform.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I like 14th St Union Square station cause a homeless guy sucker punched me there

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Seneca stop on the M train in Ridgewood at night because Seneca ave looks straight down towards empire state building. Plus there is a liquor store and a crown fried chicken right next to the entrance.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

grand central is good cause the train takes a hard turn into the station and everyone expecting to get off goes flying

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Queensboro Plaza because it's just so weird and breaks so many unwritten rules. It's a double-decker elevated platform, one deck of which is fully enclosed for no reason, and on each level the trains run the same direction on both sides, and also they're two different kinds of trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Queensboro Plaza is very dependent on the season. In good weather it's probably my favorite. Above 80° or under 50° it can gently caress off.