Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Imagined posted:

The easy test for terminal troopbrain in this case is to refer to him as an "ex-marine" in his presence and see what happens

Yeah, he doesn't care.

The man knows how to knifehand like a motherfucker, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure that stuff is insane. If I felt like waking up an hour earlier to throw $10 in the trash then sit in my car I could, but the urge hasn't struck me.

Missing a commute makes zero sense. Roll the dice, did a truck overturn? Did it start snowing at 1pm? Did a light on the dash come on so you get to spend Saturday afternoon paying someone $200? Why would I want to do any of that if I could do my work without leaving the house? I try not to get too tinfoily but 100% chance those articles are being pushed by commercial landlords.
I had a not-great cubicle mate in his 40s who packed his space with GameStop clearance rack garbage. When someone brought a small child into the office they walked by and were delighted by what they perceived to be decorations in the theme of a five year old's dream birthday.
Discounting some of the interchangable reasons like weirdoes saying "it's an extra 2 hours a day in away from my family" and grinning, most people who like commutes are very probably meditating through it. Meditation onset can be very specific in what you need to physically do and what mindset you are in so that for these people, the only time they've gotten that meditation high is a commute where they are either going toward and getting ready for work and/or going away and decompressing from work. Meditation onset isn't interchangable or you might as well be asking why everyone just can't chill out by sunning their rear end in a top hat in the sunrise every morning.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

weirdoes saying "it's an extra 2 hours a day in away from my family" and grinning

man, i hate that guy. the gently caress is wrong with you calling a meeting at 4 o clock on a friday you dick

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Imagined posted:

Just curious whether any of those who can't understand why anyone would rather work in an office than work from home have, say, small children or elderly relatives that live with them (or both FML :smithicide:)? It reminds me of other threads where childless people can't understand why anyone would spend more than 5 minutes taking a poo poo, for example. Or where introverts can't understand why anyone might like to talk to other people.

Of course, I wouldn't jump from there to 'I will sabotage the work-from-home policy for everyone regardless of their circumstance because WFH is miserable for me', because I'm not a psycho.

That's some of the vibe I was picking up on as well.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i just experienced a lot of offices is all, in my career(s), and always found that environment to be counter productive. id rather just work with intrinisically motivated people than try to build some sort of culture at work, which is where i go to earn the money i spend in the rest of my life, not for personal gratification or to make lasting friendships. an office is an ordeal, imho

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My elderly aunt who never had any kids or married, for whom I'm the closest living relative, sits in my living room loudly watching QVC or 'Law & Order' and letting her two dachshunds bark at the wind every waking moment of every day and thus the pandemic lockdown almost killed me while I stayed home trying not to get her killed, is what I'm saying. I could not shove that vaccine in my arm and get back to the office fast enough. I'm willing to accept that, in this, my perspective about WFH is... skewed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

That's some of the vibe I was picking up on as well.

I absolutely understand why some people might have circumstances or even personality types that might make working from home challenging or impossible, but I have drunk from the WFH chalice and I'll be kicking and screaming when I get dragged back to the office for 40 plus hours of my life per week

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

I absolutely understand why some people might have circumstances or even personality types that might make working from home challenging or impossible, but I have drunk from the WFH chalice and I'll be kicking and screaming when I get dragged back to the office for 40 plus hours of my life per week

By all means, stick with WFH, I hope I'm not giving the impression I think WFH is bad and wrong for most people. For me it's a quick ticket to a complete crash of mental health as well as work effectiveness (and WFH or not doesn't matter if you get fired), so it's not for me for reasons other than some sociopathic "hate muh wife" boomer take like some posters are exclusively assigning it to.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Imagined posted:

My elderly aunt who never had any kids or married, for whom I'm the closest living relative, sits in my living room loudly watching QVC or 'Law & Order' and letting her two dachshunds bark at the wind every waking moment of every day and thus the pandemic lockdown almost killed me while I stayed home trying not to get her killed, is what I'm saying. I could not shove that vaccine in my arm and get back to the office fast enough. I'm willing to accept that, in this, my perspective about WFH is... skewed.

Hachi machi that sounds hellish.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The only thing I can really say that was good about the military is that I didn’t have to buy slacks and fancy shirts for work. Not that the overpriced cammies the navy cycles through ever 5 years are cheaper.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wouldn’t say “miss most” but it’s not like they’re totally wrong for everyone. My commute is 100 percent decompression time and it’s why I try to aim for a 20-30 minute drive to/from work. I absolutely missed having that transition from work to home/home to work when I did the WFH thing like ten years ago.

This has big “guy sitting in his parked car in the driveway to avoid seeing his family just a few minutes longer” energy.

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

More museum stories please. That bear in the elevator was hilarious.

Hmm let’s see. Someone passed me in the hallway once and said “don’t go to Shipping,” so I said “oh is it super busy?” and he shouted “dropped a whale” back over his shoulder without stopping? (“Whale smell” is a known phenomenon, as in “sorry about the whale smell in the van”. “Bone smell” is also a thing but you only get it in the vertebrates collection so.)

Our colleagues at another museum once lost a nearly complete T. rex by storing all the bones independently and forgetting about it.

Last month our marketing team got into an argument about whether the word “littoral” was appropriate for children.

We went to print with a panel that included the sentence “Once stripped of all flesh, robustly cleaned and tagged with identification numbers, our volunteers begin to move animal skeletons into the collections”

Re ghost bear stalking the halls: seems plausible; best explanation yet for why we lose an elevator once a week. One of our janitors used to yell "Anna Paquin!" at me whenever he saw me so at least I have my casting for the movie worked out

Volmarias posted:

Businesses use a FUCKLOAD of paper.
A printer that can be locked into duplex only is probably used by 100 people. The $80 is more of the worst case scenario, but even the low end of $20 ends up paying for itself almost immediately by cutting a $2000 monthly cost per printer to $1000, on a printer that you might have spent $5k-$10k on. The wasted 400 pages becomes an absolute drop in the bucket.

fewer than 25 roles use that printer, it’s just that many of them are high turnover (box office, tour guides, camp leaders, etc). often they assume they clicked wrong the first time, so they go back and try again. to be clear i don’t think forcing double-sided is even necessarily a terrible idea, but i do think not communicating that it's forced to the user in any way is very stupid?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mayday mayday posted:

Hmm let’s see. Someone passed me in the hallway once and said “don’t go to Shipping,” so I said “oh is it super busy?” and he shouted “dropped a whale” back over his shoulder without stopping? (“Whale smell” is a known phenomenon, as in “sorry about the whale smell in the van”. “Bone smell” is also a thing but you only get it in the vertebrates collection so.)

Our colleagues at another museum once lost a nearly complete T. rex by storing all the bones independently and forgetting about it.

Last month our marketing team got into an argument about whether the word “littoral” was appropriate for children.

We went to print with a panel that included the sentence “Once stripped of all flesh, robustly cleaned and tagged with identification numbers, our volunteers begin to move animal skeletons into the collections”

Re ghost bear stalking the halls: seems plausible; best explanation yet for why we lose an elevator once a week. One of our janitors used to yell "Anna Paquin!" at me whenever he saw me so at least I have my casting for the movie worked out
fewer than 25 roles use that printer, it’s just that many of them are high turnover (box office, tour guides, camp leaders, etc). often they assume they clicked wrong the first time, so they go back and try again. to be clear i don’t think forcing double-sided is even necessarily a terrible idea, but i do think not communicating that it's forced to the user in any way is very stupid?

Lol that owns. It's fun to read stories from non-office work locations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that owns. It's fun to read stories from non-office work locations.

If you haven't read it, this series is classic.
https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/tales-from-zoo/1/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
^^ LOL. I read this every few years. A great example of no longer acceptable but still funny early 2000's SA humor. There are about 10 probations on the first page.

I'm hiring a summer youth employee over the next month and the board wants to get involved in the hiring process. I just know they're going to use up all the kid's time demanding useless boring things like 'outreach' and 'community service' and 'forwarding the organizations's mission'. All I want is some kid to learn useful skills picking at my backlog of bullshit project work and maybe paint the office.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 26, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Outrail posted:

^^ LOL. I read this every few years. A great example of no longer acceptable but still funny early 2000's SA humor. There are about 10 probations on the first page.

Haahaha wow I'd never seen that before, that owns. That's like the repo man stories. I agree that writing style would buy a lot of prob time but I'm glad that stuff is still around for SA history. The front page used to be such a goldmine of unexpected fun.

For front page stuff I re-read, definitely the Atma let's plays, and the Zack & Steve WTF DND articles.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mayday mayday posted:

What were the arguments against using 'littoral'?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Related to that an VP puts out a weekly video to celebrate IT employees who have received positive feedback. This isn't accompanied by any reward but the employee could mention it in their annual review. Except when the VP sends out the video link he doesn't mention who has received praise so unless you want to watch ten minutes of random employee names in the hopes of being mentioned, you won't know if you did anything praiseworthy. I mentioned this to someone who helps send out the videos but apparently including a list of names is beyond their tech skills somehow.

Forcing you to watch all ten minutes is the point.

SkyeAuroline posted:

By all means, stick with WFH, I hope I'm not giving the impression I think WFH is bad and wrong for most people. For me it's a quick ticket to a complete crash of mental health as well as work effectiveness (and WFH or not doesn't matter if you get fired), so it's not for me for reasons other than some sociopathic "hate muh wife" boomer take like some posters are exclusively assigning it to.

This is 100% me. Even at home with no one except my cats to give me looks of disgust, I was floundering.

WFH if you like it but maybe accept that WFH does not, in fact, improve some people's abilities or happiness???????

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

If I was in a WFH position, I would probably get gently caress All done, so I can see why some people want/need the structure of an office setting. What I can't comprehend is enjoying a commute. I live about 60 km from my work. It's all highway driving, so If I have good traffic, I can make the trip in about 35-40 min. If there's bad traffic, bad weather, construction, or any other issue, that trip can take a lot longer. My current record for slowest commute home is about 5.5 hours, thanks to a crazy blizzard during rush hour. Whether I'm listening to music or whatever, it's still something I have to do and don't get paid for, so it's hard to enjoy it. One of my bosses lives around 140 km away, and I have no idea how they tolerate it.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Last time I was in a WFH position I blew my back, so it's missionary from now on.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

When I was in the Navy one guy was driving from his wife’s place in Savanna to where we were stationed in Mayport while we were working 80+ hour weeks, I cannot fathom how he ever had time to sleep.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i do have to cop to really enjoying riding the train for work once in a while, just a couple of hours' trip to visit a client not too far away. then they added wifi and now you're expected to Get poo poo Done on the train instead of chilling with some music and a drink

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

If I was in a WFH position, I would probably get gently caress All done, so I can see why some people want/need the structure of an office setting. What I can't comprehend is enjoying a commute. I live about 60 km from my work. It's all highway driving, so If I have good traffic, I can make the trip in about 35-40 min. If there's bad traffic, bad weather, construction, or any other issue, that trip can take a lot longer. My current record for slowest commute home is about 5.5 hours, thanks to a crazy blizzard during rush hour. Whether I'm listening to music or whatever, it's still something I have to do and don't get paid for, so it's hard to enjoy it. One of my bosses lives around 140 km away, and I have no idea how they tolerate it.

All my commutes have been nice backroads primarily, which helps. I like having that time between work and home- I haven’t worked an office job in like seven years so it’s nice to switch from “poo poo go go go” mode to relax mode gradually.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All my commutes have been nice backroads primarily, which helps. I like having that time between work and home- I haven’t worked an office job in like seven years so it’s nice to switch from “poo poo go go go” mode to relax mode gradually.

Yeah some folks don’t have stressful commutes and enjoy the time to decompress with music or podcasts or whatever just being alone with their thoughts

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vyst posted:

Yeah some folks don’t have stressful commutes and enjoy the time to decompress with music or podcasts or whatever just being alone with their thoughts

I never said otherwise. It’s the people who don’t understand liking a commute that have basically jumped to “those other guys just hate their families, lol”.

E:lol, totally misread your post, sorry, been a long drat day

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 27, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

vyst posted:

Can confirm. Even some of the most dangerous highways in America become tame enough to enjoy if you leave super early and drive back after morning rush.

"Wrong way driver

Use caution!",

at the beginning of a four mile long bridge perks the ears up at 0100. Stay out of the left lane, exit as soon as you can, and go around.

Drive something big that you don't care about how it looks. Roll the windows down and turn the heat to full in the middle of summer. Light a smoke and hang your arm out the window. Belt out the first three lines of Laura Branigan's, Gloria, at the top of your lungs. Endlessly.

Just don't drive between 0530 and 0930. Whole different ball game.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can, but it's nice to not have to associate work stress with part of your living space. That's just human psychology at work. For those of us who aren't in McMansions, that space has a pretty heavy overlap with our regular living spaces. Given the choice of "form negative associations with sitting down in my only comfortable chair with a laptop" and "don't", I'll take "don't", thanks.

Coming to you live from the living room because good luck fitting a home office in this apartment.

While I won't discount your lived experience, I will say that my WFH desk and my home/gaming desk creating a perfect 6'x6' prison is an experience that I am absolutely here for.

I probably suck at disassociating any aspect of my life from any other in general, which may or may not make things harder on average as a result, but I was really digging not having a schedule for awhile there and just sleeping when I felt like it, and when I woke up logging into my work PC, doing some work, then checking forums and poo poo and blending the two back and forth until I felt like going back to sleep and waking up again.

Why, yes, a 24h schedule has never worked for my broke brain, why do you ask? :v: (Or, really, any schedule at all)

But yeah, if you don't have the room/resources/dispostion to create a space that you're happy with to do work from home, then yeah I can definitely see your point of view here. I've been in a temporary pre-furnished apartment for a month, with almost a month left to go, and if THIS was my WFH experience I'd be ready to chew my own torso off to get away from it :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ultrafilter posted:

That's a real concern in areas like midtown Manhattan with a very large commuter population. There's a big ecosystem that's evolved to support that, and if you cut it significantly a lot of businesses are going to be in trouble.

I mean, you're not WRONG here.

But I think if we take a step back and consider if doing all of this was a good idea in the first place, well . . . *shrug*

My brother is a huge fan of what he calls the "hyperconverged living space" where you have a downtown that's all shops and stuff on the first floor or two of the buildings with apartments and stuff above that, and I suspect that outside of a global pandemic, those places would survive the WFH shift much more easily than a suburban/exurban setup.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Volmarias posted:

Forcing you to watch all ten minutes is the point.
This is 100% me. Even at home with no one except my cats to give me looks of disgust, I was floundering.

WFH if you like it but maybe accept that WFH does not, in fact, improve some people's abilities or happiness???????

Triple-posting but I don't care!

I think everyone in this thread has the mindset of "do what makes you happy, whatevs". The problem is that The People With All The Power are coming up with (seemingly absurd) reasons for Why Everyone Must Come Back Into The Office Five Days Per Week, which is where the pushback originates from.

For example, if every employer was going with "pick what schedule works for you and we'll support it!", I think we'd see a lot of conversation about what kinds of schedules everyone was looking at picking out. However, since the conversation is primarily being driven by "Get The gently caress Back Here Where I Can See You, But I Can't Say That So I'll Talk About My Love Of Commuting Instead" we get . . . well, what we're getting here :(

Dumb poo poo my work does: exists.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I never said otherwise. It’s the people who don’t understand liking a commute that have basically jumped to “those other guys just hate their families, lol”.

E:lol, totally misread your post, sorry, been a long drat day

Oh yeah i wasn’t being goon sarcastic. No worries

I generally enjoy driving

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vyst posted:

Oh yeah i wasn’t being goon sarcastic. No worries

I generally enjoy driving

I think my brain jammed a “don’t” in there where there wasn’t one.

Yeah, driving is pretty chill and I love when I get a nice bit of scenery when the music hits just right.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cthulu Carl posted:

Facilities went through the building and removed all the trashcans except for those in the restrooms and break rooms... I guess as a Covid measure??? :psyduck:

job-1 eliminated personal waste bins to “promote collaboration.”

The fact that they thought anyone at all would buy that bullshit nicely illustrated just how poorly they thought of their staff.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh my god is this him

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-12994248

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Blue Moonlight posted:

job-1 eliminated personal waste bins to “promote collaboration.”

Collaboration? Are they picturing the employees forming a human chain from desk to wastebin?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Re: commuting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_hypnosis#:~:text=Highway%20hypnosis%2C%20also%20known%20as,of%20having%20consciously%20done%20so.

For many people it's meditation, an actual dissociative state, and it's really nice.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

What were the arguments against using 'littoral'?

It's a little oral. Or maybe Clitoral?

mayday mayday posted:

That's absolutely amazing.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 27, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

boar guy posted:

i just experienced a lot of offices is all, in my career(s), and always found that environment to be counter productive. id rather just work with intrinisically motivated people than try to build some sort of culture at work, which is where i go to earn the money i spend in the rest of my life, not for personal gratification or to make lasting friendships. an office is an ordeal, imho

I dont know....makong friends at work, ppl that are quite possibly very similar to you and know what the majority of your waking day is like, has always worked out for me. Not only in a personal level, bit hell for my career too. Friends hook you up.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
You don't have to actually be friends, you can treat it like a dating sim where you get better jobs as you level up your friendship with the right people.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Spatule posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_hypnosis#:~:text=Highway%20hypnosis%2C%20also%20known%20as,of%20having%20consciously%20done%20so.

For many people it's meditation, an actual dissociative state, and it's really nice.

Oh weird I didn't know this had a name. When I had a one hour each way commute with a 80% of it being highway I'd have to check signs and mile markers occasionally because I wasn't sure how far I'd driven or where I was really. That said when I got to the one exit I had to take, I never drove past it. Always found it bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Spatule posted:

I don't know if that is what is happening though. Don't most people commute in city traffic, and it's more like crawling bumper to bumper for 45 minutes? I've never had a meditative experience in that traffic, it has always left me twitchy and agitated.