Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: nevermind i misread this post

Alaois fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I believe they've also said John Constantine is in it, but I don't think casting has been announced other than it's not Matt Ryan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

If Jenna Coleman is Lady Johanna, are they actually having John show up? gently caress, if Dee's showing up, are we getting the weird moment of Dream visiting Mr Miracle and Martian Manhunter?

John is barely in the original story, and I'm betting they are write out the rest of the Justice League. The radio adaptation has them all though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
having not read the book (i know, i know) i kinda thought johanna constantine was like, gender swapped john or something lol

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

site posted:

having not read the book (i know, i know) i kinda thought johanna constantine was like, gender swapped john or something lol

hah, same. i'm down for it either way

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vince MechMahon posted:

I believe they've also said John Constantine is in it, but I don't think casting has been announced other than it's not Matt Ryan.

Well, that sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

She's in one story I think. She's John's ancestor from I think Victorian times. Personality wise she's pretty close to a gender swapped John, except she also pretends to be an aristocrat.

In addition to her part in Sandman there's also a decent Lady Constantine mini.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

She's in one story I think. She's John's ancestor from I think Victorian times. Personality wise she's pretty close to a gender swapped John, except she also pretends to be an aristocrat.

In addition to her part in Sandman there's also a decent Lady Constantine mini.

In the actual Sandman comic Lady Johanna shows up for like two issues, the one where Hob and Morpheus hang out over the course of hundreds of years and then again when Morpheus tasks her to retrieve Orpheus from France during the revolution.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's actually a bit more detail in the press release and it sounds like they may be including the issue where John shows up but just using Coleman in the role as well as in the flashbacks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

There's actually a bit more detail in the press release and it sounds like they may be including the issue where John shows up but just using Coleman in the role as well as in the flashbacks.

I wouldn't give a poo poo about gender swapping the character but this would be garbage. It's either laziness in casting or changing Constantine to be a two hundred year old immortal. Both would be poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehh, it's pretty common in tv shows to have an actor also play their ancestor (though it's often the main character of a show).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember Smallville did it :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I wouldn't give a poo poo about gender swapping the character but this would be garbage. It's either laziness in casting or changing Constantine to be a two hundred year old immortal. Both would be poo poo.

Jenna Coleman playing some kinda of immortal being that crosses time and space to fight otherworldly beings, I sure hope she's up to it! :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, it's pretty common in tv shows to have an actor also play their ancestor (though it's often the main character of a show).

hell, they had matt ryan do this in legends

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

hell, they had matt ryan do this in legends

Please tell me it was him in drag playing Johanna Constantine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton as Matthew is kinda perfect

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Please tell me it was him in drag playing Johanna Constantine.

nah just some douchey medieval relative who would sacrifice any innocent non human creature he could find to make a big show and maintain power as village leader

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So for anyone who isn't watching Superman and Lois, this week's episode introduced the Arrowverse version of John Henry Irons/Steel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

So for anyone who isn't watching Superman and Lois, this week's episode introduced the Arrowverse version of John Henry Irons/Steel.

It's literally the same trick as Supergirl pulled at this point in it's first season. Black man playing normally white villain from the Superman mythos... lol, nope, he's actually secretly well-known ally of Superman's who is normally portrayed as Black

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah after thinking about it for a couple of seconds I realized that it is almost exactly the same as what happened on Supergirl. Although he'll probably stay a villain for a little longer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
man, just...everything about the last few episodes it's clear they did not plan on getting cancelled and things just get very rushed and haphazard at the end. what a bummer of a way to go out

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

man, just...everything about the last few episodes it's clear they did not plan on getting cancelled and things just get very rushed and haphazard at the end. what a bummer of a way to go out

...it's been picked up for a second season? Unless you mean another show?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was so happy with that reveal. Don't think I've ever read a Steel comic in my life but having him instead of another Luthor is far more exciting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

...it's been picked up for a second season? Unless you mean another show?

Oh oops sorry that was about black lightning

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Patton as Matthew is kinda perfect

I think it could be good but I hope he doesn't go all Happy! wacky

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1397987590075129861

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

would be nice if Marvel Studios could remember that "Moon Knight" is two words in their own tweet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Oscar Isaac said it in one word when they quoted him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe Oscar Isaac said it in one word when they quoted him.

Someone post the Spider-Man panel where he can hear when people say it without the hyphen.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

social media intern intended it to be hashtag moonknight, then realized their style guide insisted that hashtags only go at the end of posts, removed the pound sign but forgot to hit the space

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I somehow read that entire Sandman casting thing and completely didn't parse that Death is Kirby Howell-Baptiste from The Good Place! That's fuckin' rad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jupiter's Legacy canceled. Definitely seems like Netflix is getting quick on the draw for canceling poo poo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jupiter's Legacy canceled. Definitely seems like Netflix is getting quick on the draw for canceling poo poo.

well, it had significant behind-the-scenes problems (the original showrunner was fired midway through production) and got poor reviews (many of which called out the series' pacing as being slow even by Netflix standards; apparently the season's plot only covers something like the first three issues of the original five-issue miniseries, achieving this by doing things like bloating a single flashback scene from the comic into a subplot that runs for most of the series), so I'm not surprised that viewership wasn't enough to justify a renewal.

still, it's pretty embarrassing that the first series to come of the 2017 Millarworld acquisition would be a dud, so I guess I can understand why Millar is trying to spin this as though it were a purely creative decision

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1400062298526466048
Love how nerds are getting mad about something that was presented in the comics with how the Endless are perceived in so many different forms by different sentient beings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As the tweet says, it's just bigotry. No amount of comics lore debate is going to fix the problem of these idiots being against Black or non-binary people in general.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not saying there's not someone somewhere complaining about a non binary actor playing Desire, but when Neil Gaiman said he hates that poo poo he was replying to someone complaining about Howell-Baptiste playing Death and was the only person in that conversation talking about it.

Absolutely wouldn't be surprised if he was referencing fights with corporate executives who thought Desire should be played by a busty model though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the absolute closest you can get to making a point about the Death casting without just being a bigot is saying that Dream and Death should look alike being that they're the closest of the siblings, but that's just as much an argument for a Black actor to play Dream as it is for a white woman to play Death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

well, it had significant behind-the-scenes problems (the original showrunner was fired midway through production) and got poor reviews (many of which called out the series' pacing as being slow even by Netflix standards; apparently the season's plot only covers something like the first three issues of the original five-issue miniseries, achieving this by doing things like bloating a single flashback scene from the comic into a subplot that runs for most of the series), so I'm not surprised that viewership wasn't enough to justify a renewal.

still, it's pretty embarrassing that the first series to come of the 2017 Millarworld acquisition would be a dud, so I guess I can understand why Millar is trying to spin this as though it were a purely creative decision

Yeah and not only a dud but a $200 million dollar dud. Now we get the next project just because it has to be made which doesn’t bode well. The pacing was super weird. You could probably knock it out in two six episode seasons but I’m sure that wouldn’t work for Netflix.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I didn't watch Jupiter's Legacy but the trailers did not make it look like a $200 million show. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I didn't watch Jupiter's Legacy but the trailers did not make it look like a $200 million show. Holy poo poo.

I think he's referring to the Millarworld acquisition, though reports at the time suggest it was in the $50m-100m range. but the point stands, even if it's a bit exaggerated