Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Do people actually buy GAMERZ phones? I mean, what mobile games are there even out there that'll push your phone to its limits?

I've seen X-TREEEM GAMER phones pop up on Linus Tech Tips from time to time, and I refuse to believe that there are people out there scrambling to get a phone that hey have to attach a heat sink to.

This was marketed as a gaming phone

https://youtu.be/dTMjpfHvnmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I took a Portrait Mode photo of two people and one of the faces is a bit blurred - maybe it didn't detect as a face properly?
Is there a way I can edit it and tell it to remove the fake bokeh from that person's face?

I don't have ProRAW mode turned on so I assume I'm SOL?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

~Coxy posted:

I took a Portrait Mode photo of two people and one of the faces is a bit blurred - maybe it didn't detect as a face properly?
Is there a way I can edit it and tell it to remove the fake bokeh from that person's face?

I don't have ProRAW mode turned on so I assume I'm SOL?

Go to the photo, tap edit, then tap the yellow portrait text at the top to toggle the effect off. (This was a google search away btw)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't want to turn off the Portrait effect entirely, just "retouch" the second person's face.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

~Coxy posted:

I don't want to turn off the Portrait effect entirely, just "retouch" the second person's face.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph310a9a220/ios

You can also adjust the strength of the blur, if you can't adjust it well enough on the phone save two copies and get photo editing in your favourite photoshop or photoshop-like desktop app.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

you can use Focos to manipulate the depth of field effect if you want to retain the portrait mode blurring of the background, but usually you can just dial out the blurring entirely so it looks like a regular photo.

I find the portrait mode blurring is usually too aggressive and usually dial it way back in the photos editing function and if its a really good photo with otherwise minor issues on the focus I use Focos to fix it.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 25, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Focos is a really awesome app for changing depth of field, focus point, the look of the bokeh and a lot more

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I can’t believe people actually watch Linus Tech Tips… and yeah, I know there’s a lot of them. Still can’t believe it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple is so weird sometimes. You can’t enable Apple Card family sharing with someone unless they’ve updated their iPhone to 14.6.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smackfu posted:

Apple is so weird sometimes. You can’t enable Apple Card family sharing with someone unless they’ve updated their iPhone to 14.6.

I imagine 14.6 hasn't been jailbroken yet and they only care because of "security."

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna make fun of the poster complaining his iphone doesn't get the right number, but then I realised I have the same phone sitting in my bedroom on the charger 99% of the time since I started WFH.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I talked about doing a trade in and I posted that I got an email that the phone wasn’t what they expected.

I got a box back today

UPS stole my fuckin phone.

Also I chatted with Apple support on Friday and they said they didn’t see any issues.

Wish me luck fixing this poo poo. I have the receipt which shows the weight and the return is a wildly different weight.

FML

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a pretty good scam, some employee that's also a thief knows the address for Apple returns and they got an unlimited supply of stuff that is completely unlocked with Find My disabled.

It'd be nice if you could get UPS to notice because it's a certainty they do this a lot, but good luck with that bureaucracy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's a pretty good scam, some employee that's also a thief knows the address for Apple returns and they got an unlimited supply of stuff that is completely unlocked with Find My disabled.

It'd be nice if you could get UPS to notice because it's a certainty they do this a lot, but good luck with that bureaucracy.

That’s gonna be apple’s problem lol.

I’ve been on the phone for like 45 min so far and they offered me a gift card and I’m like no way man give me my $550.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

So I talked about doing a trade in and I posted that I got an email that the phone wasn’t what they expected.

I got a box back today

Also I chatted with Apple support on Friday and they said they didn’t see any issues.

Wish me luck fixing this poo poo. I have the receipt which shows the weight and the return is a wildly different weight.

FML

Goddamn that sucks.

Apple has to have some kind of insurance with UPS ? You would think more than the base $100 too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Goddamn that sucks.

Apple has to have some kind of insurance with UPS ? You would think more than the base $100 too.

I have to imagine they do.

The lady was nice enough they just have to open a shipping investigation which could take a week.

Luckily I saved the shipping receipt so I can see the weight difference between the two items.

Also they clearly don’t check to see if the box has been tampered with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So 3 hours later they are giving me my credit

The woman on the phone said it might take a week but I’m glad they resolved it so quickly. I’m also glad I kept the documentation and could easily see on the shipping labels the difference in weight.

I’m in CA so there’s probably only 2 ups places it could have gotten jacked from because it’s going from LA to the OC.

Apple support really is good and helpful though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yikes. I didn't have any issues with my trade-in but that story is enough to make me never do mail-in trades again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

smackfu posted:

This is basically everything all the time.
Even stuff that should be controlled by the backend or released as an app update.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yikes. I didn't have any issues with my trade-in but that story is enough to make me never do mail-in trades again.

And the more typical complaint is that they go, “oh this is a grade lower than you said, so either you take 30% less money or we will ship it back to you.” Which is a pain either way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

And the more typical complaint is that they go, “oh this is a grade lower than you said, so either you take 30% less money or we will ship it back to you.” Which is a pain either way.

Yeah I was worried about that as well even though the phone was flawless.

Jokes on them they had to give me the full amount anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

The first time I did it, I was worried about the same thing. I've done it multiple times now and never had any hassle with them trying to downgrade the condition. I'm sure I could get more money using a reselling service, but that's too much like work to me. Apple's trade-in process is simple and works for me. Except now I know to make sure I keep the shipping receipt until the credit hits.

Marcus, I'm glad everything worked out. Even with you having the receipt as proof, they resolved that pretty quickly which makes me think it's a situation that happens more than we'd know.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I wish the Music widget wasn't completely geared toward "recently played" items. I am LESS likely to wanna play an album if I've recently played it! Are there any other music apps that have a good widget?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

widgets in general leave a lot to be desired. I think the only useful ones so far are weather and calendar and i use both to consume the top half of the home screen, pushing all my icons down far enough to reach them across two pages.

my bank has one that shows up to date balance info for my accounts and shazam is also kinda useful but they both live in the left-swipe dock thing since I dont really want my bank balance in plain view any time i open my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Widgets are a cool idea waiting for developers to do something interesting with them. But most apps just don't have that much interesting stuff to consume a giant percentage of the screen so they spew out a box of dumb statistics and call it done. The giant box in particular needs to be really loving good to be worth using 50% of the screen and I haven't seen anything that pulls it off.

I really like the siri suggestions one, it's pretty good about offering appropriate apps based for the time of day so it's nice to have as far down the screen as possible so my frequent stuff is always in reach. Duds get a long press and a don't suggest selection and it gets better fast.

I like the flickr one too just to see the photos from random internet weirdos.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Widgets are a cool idea waiting for developers to do something interesting with them. But most apps just don't have that much interesting stuff to consume a giant percentage of the screen so they spew out a box of dumb statistics and call it done. The giant box in particular needs to be really loving good to be worth using 50% of the screen and I haven't seen anything that pulls it off.

I really like the siri suggestions one, it's pretty good about offering appropriate apps based for the time of day so it's nice to have as far down the screen as possible so my frequent stuff is always in reach. Duds get a long press and a don't suggest selection and it gets better fast.

This is why widgets have been very overhyped on Android for 10 years now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

I got a box back today

FML

Glad you got it sorted. That could have been a nightmare. What is that thing in the box?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Charles posted:

Glad you got it sorted. That could have been a nightmare. What is that thing in the box?

It’s a LiPo battery for RC vehicles

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

xzzy posted:

I like how my Siri suggestions widget constantly suggests I shitpost in a Discord server’s meme channel I frequent.

Truly we live in the future.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kinda off topic but you guys aren’t gonna believe this. i ordered a battery for my tamiya lunchbox and they sent me a dang iphone! obviously used but works perfectly. thanks ups!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

kinda off topic but you guys aren’t gonna believe this. i ordered a battery for my tamiya lunchbox and they sent me a dang iphone! obviously used but works perfectly. thanks ups!!

:perfect:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

illcendiary posted:

It’s a LiPo battery for RC vehicles

Ha! I was gonna google that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Siri suggestions is the only Home Screen widget I use. I hate scrolling to a second page to access apps, so I don’t like widgets pushing stuff to another page.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just have primary apps on the front page with the weather taking up 2 rows, then folders on the second page with calendar taking up 2 rows

tray is phone, text, messenger and camera.

Basically placed everything i use the most within the quarter circle of my right thumb arc

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I have a really big weather widget on my Home Screen with my 8 most frequently used apps. Everything else I just open with spotlight. One screen over I keep a stack of 3 separate reminder lists (work/shopping/personal) which is super handy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’d be over the moon with a 1x icon tall 2x wide widget space option for step and calorie counters. The smallest size being 2x2 is just too big for loads of kinds of information.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Where are all the iOS 15 rumors since wwdc is so close?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has anything leaked about WWDC at all? I know there’s some vague M2 is coming stuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has anything leaked about WWDC at all? I know there’s some vague M2 is coming stuff.

I just spent 5 full minutes tapping my head (figuratively) because I swore I had just heard something big, but then I remembered it was the rumor about a Nintendo Switch refresh being announced at E3. Hey, that's sorta big!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't think there will be many leaks this year. Most leaks are hardware stuff, and we got a hint of some of that but if they aren't producing those products until late in the year then nothing concrete is going to come out. Software leaks rarely happen these days, it's all data mined from beta builds now.

Sounds like it will be a pretty boring WWDC. New OS and a bunch of talk about the next gen of Apple Silicon but nothing available until the fall.