Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Play posted:

holy loving poo poo

wait, pause the game so you can read/listen without losing oxygen or pause the audio?
Yup. That said I think it might screw with health kits? You can eat snacks just fine from the paused PDA, but the few times I've used a health kit from the inventory with pause mode on they did hardly anything and I started equipping them to use them in realtime. Maybe it was just a fluke and they are supposed to work normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pollyanna posted:

Made it to Crystal Caves and honestly I'm bouncing off of this game by now. This is a hell of a slog and I might just youtube the rest of it.

FWIW the crystal caves are the last area of the game if you follow a standard path. The last part of ALAN's body is down there as well as the facility to craft it, after that it's a straight shot to the ending sequence

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FWIW the crystal caves are the last area of the game if you follow a standard path. The last part of ALAN's body is down there as well as the facility to craft it, after that it's a straight shot to the ending sequence

That means I gotta go allll the way to my base and back in this slowass truck, something like 2km total. Subnautica more like Schlepnautica.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Paracelsus posted:

I once built a trail of growbeds with Creepvine (for visibility) and brain coral so I could reach the containment facility without building any vehicles other than a Seaglide.

Tenebrais posted:

If you know where you're going I think you can just get there with spare air tanks.

You people are insane

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There was a very deep area filled with warpers and scary poo poo in the first one and I built a base up near the waterline, then built as long of elevators as I could between single hallway pieces all the way to the bottom. To be honest, the process of building it while hopping in and out of my shelters when the warper attacked was scarier than just swimming by normally would've been. By the time I built to the bottom, I wasn't scared of that area at all anymore, but by that point building this ridiculous long structure was it's own reward.

PDP-1 posted:

What OgNar said but also a bit more south than you'd expect. There is also a pop-up message from your PDA about a hollow glacier in the area which is not connected to what you're looking for but happens close enough to what you're looking for to misdirect a lot of folks

Wooow, so I just went looking for this place proper and not only found it immediately... but I found a base there. That I built. OR started to build, inside my fabricator still needed some copper and quartz. I remember now that at the start of the game I decided I was going to swim as far in a random direction as I could manage, I think right after I built a seaglide. I found that place but it was locked, so I built a base there thinking it would show up as a map target I could return to later. Oh well bing bong.

But uhh... this next part was weird with Marge. Thanks me and tells me to read the PDAs to see whats up with sis. What is up with sis is Marge was pressuring her into some light violent activism against Alterra. Cool, I get it, I wanna do that too. Even so, you'd think after that revelation the PC would say something... maybe have a question with Margherita about it? Nope, that's all for now I guess lol. Cool new plants for my garden though.

Also she was really insistent on blowing up the cave or whatever but... it's a loving ice cave lol, there are even drills around, plus ya know, resources to make it in abundance. Not only that, but it's pretty easy to get to, I bumbled into it stumbling in the white-out night weather, there's still a ton of info pointing to it's location and existence, there are signs n poo poo and other Alterra stuff in the area.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pollyanna posted:

That means I gotta go allll the way to my base and back in this slowass truck, something like 2km total. Subnautica more like Schlepnautica.

You know you can detach your modules right.

And if you really can't be bothered, just teleport so you can watch the ending, which is still pretty cool.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've seen console games crash like three times in my life. Two of those crashes happened this week playing Subnautica: Below Zero on PS5. I'll take the pop-in from the first game back if it means no more crashes and lost progress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game, got what I assume is the standard ending. I feel like I missed a huge chunk of tech. Is it just me, or are nuke rods in the game, but...not nuclear reactors? What's up with that?

Also a bit poo poo that we don't get at least basic teleportation technology. There's a lot of going from outer deep biomes to your central base near the Drop Pod and back, and waiting for this truck to get home was easily half of the 32 hours of playtime. :shepface:

All in all, I think the game could have used more time in the oven, but the cool parts are really cool! Just...the poo poo parts are really poo poo, and the rest is only okay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s a reactor

And also teleportation to the sea truck

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No clue where I found it but I haven’t even gone to the “pilot last known location” crumb and I have a base with a running nuclear refactor. v:shobon:v

e: Maybe it was in one of the wrecks between the purple vents and the lillypads?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallom posted:

There’s a reactor

it's kinda useless and consumes an ion cube when you do it

there WAS portals between bases you could build but that got cut along with all the other good ideas

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fallom posted:

There’s a reactor

what the gently caress

Yinlock posted:

it's kinda useless and consumes an ion cube when you do it

there WAS portals between bases you could build but that got cut along with all the other good ideas

what the gently caress

The loss of the latter hurts the most.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

what the gently caress
what the gently caress

I still haven't mined two or three of the ion cube nodes across the bridge from Phi docks

There's lots of ion cubes. Easily enough to have ion batteries and power cells for everything with cubes to spare.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Naw, I mean the cut base teleports. That’s exactly what would have solved most of the game’s tedium.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently I missed something. Who the gently caress is Maida? We're not talking about Marguerit, right?

vvv oh :downs:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 27, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently I missed something. Who the gently caress is Maida? We're not talking about Marguerit, right?

Her name is Marguerit Maida

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Pollyanna posted:

All in all, I think the game could have used more time in the oven, but the cool parts are really cool! Just...the poo poo parts are really poo poo, and the rest is only okay.

Pretty much. It did feel like a DLC they expanded on but I had enough fun with it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I agree with all the criticism, and also the game loses something when the playing space is so small. It was good for the early part where you're still exploring though, and the amazing first game makes them totally deserve my money for the mediocre sequel.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Waited until Below Zero it was out of early access before buying. Just beat it. Only had to look stuff up in two places finding the SECOND alien facility in the arctic above ground area and how to get to the fabricator area. Both were just maze-like area without any great land markers. I was thinking about replaying Subnautica before Below Zero and I'm glad I didn't. I have no idea why this game took so long to develop when it's literally is just the first game with a new map.

Pros:

Materials aren't that hard to gather

If you played the first there is zero learning curve

Demand for materials is really low. Never really felt like I was doing tedious work.

The game has far faaarrrr less insta-kill you things, which encourages you to explore more. It better explains when threats are around

I think the series was much better than the first in giving you visual hints and clues where to go. Another great welcome change was just getting markers from Alan. Made find where to go a snap.

Cons:

Material layout is very metroid-y. First you go here and get this, and then you got there and get that.

If you played the first there is zero learning curve

Still has game breaking bugs. I got stuck twice in the alien areas, and couldn't move. My last save was 5 1/2 hours ago, so I just had to wait until I died of thirst. that happened TWICE in two different areas. The snow fox pitched me through the world a few times and I had to reload my save.

Didn't find enough of the Sea truck storage and fabricator modules until I already had access to everything in the game. Sucks to be me.

The final area(s) are really tiny, and nothing really of note in them. The first game's final areas were so much better.

The ending and the games plot mean nothing to each other. There are lots of cool things that happen that really don't mean anything.

Your cool equipment ends up being for jack Never needed to build a second base, or any of the toys they give you. I had one room next to the drop pod, and a moon pool. Later I built a secondary room to grow indoor plants. Never needed the prawn suit, ever. never needed any batteries other than the standard batteries, ever. Same for Power cells. Same for every weapon in the game other than the self defense module for the sea truck. Why have a depth meter that goes to 1000 (even more on the prawn suit) when only the final objective is that deep, another nothing else is down there? The torpedoes are for what, exactly?

There are no real threats in the game. I can understand getting rid of the leviathans that insta-kill you , but getting rid of them feels like "story mode" for a game with no story. You lose the adrenaline of knowing threats are around

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished the expansion tonight & loved it, especially the soundtrack. as an electronica/ambient/downtempo fan I already liked subnautica's soundtrack but below zero's is both better on its own and also better integrated into the game (subnautica had some occasional jarring music transitions which I didn't see here). I didn't know it was ben prunty until I saw him in the credits and that explained a lot.

there are many negatives I could say, in particular the extremely disappointing land section/hoverbike (which would have been better not existing at all rather than getting my hopes up but being a disappointment), but overall I thoroughly loved the world and the time I spent in it. the fact that the game runs smoother with much less pop-in goes an extremely long way to making the whole experience better. For a couple reasons I also felt like survival mode was a lot more enjoyable and less of a hassle than in subnautica, in which I felt the game was better with the hunger and thirst off. I could definitely see myself replaying this.

This was definitely my favorite zone out of either game.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 27, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

what the gently caress
what the gently caress

yeah the cut content list is miles long, and every cool idea that got the axe gets the explanation of "it wouldn't work with our great new story that everyone will love" or "it was 100% finished but we cut it anyway, gently caress you"

the tell-all about how this game just poo poo itself mid-development is gonna be a doozy

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 27, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Bad Munki posted:

No clue where I found it but I haven’t even gone to the “pilot last known location” crumb and I have a base with a running nuclear refactor. v:shobon:v

e: Maybe it was in one of the wrecks between the purple vents and the lillypads?

You should go check that waypoint out, its a pretty spooky and cool thing imo.
Its a wreck allrighty.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OgNar posted:

Which is why there is a checkbox to pause while in your pda.
drat handy.

Especially since the devs love lumping a dozen pdas on you in less than 10 seconds.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

spaceblancmange posted:

Pretty much. It did feel like a DLC they expanded on but I had enough fun with it.

Isn't it basically just all the bits of the first game that they had to cut for time? all the biomes, at least

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 27, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm 1100 m down and realized I need one lubricant and a couple salts and I want to die (original game)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

mastershakeman posted:

I'm 1100 m down and realized I need one lubricant and a couple salts and I want to die (original game)

I want to quote this in some sort of nsfw thread.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I once got all the way into the lava zone in my cyclops and went to hop into my prawn suit only to realize I left it in my base.

Also you all are crazy for building main bases in weird spots I have one giant base next to my escape pod / drop pod and MAYBE a few thermal scanning rooms for annoying pickups and fragments.

Doing a run with dozens of massive bases does sound kind of fun though…

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

mastershakeman posted:

You could build a multipurpose room and then a water filtration station to get the salt, but yeah you're outta luck with the lubricant. I brought a creepyvine seed cluster down with me when I built my base towards the back of the Lost River for that reason.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Iacen posted:

I am not sure I can be bothered with finding the antidote. The pengling robot is alright, though with very little use (quartz? great!), but until I went on a killing spree in the Prawn orphaning snow stalker babies, the outdoors is awful to navigate. Even in the Prawn, I keep ending going in circles, not being able to find something.

Also, that area was awful arriving to during night hours. I know there's land, as I could see some plants. But I could not seea way to land, and all the while the eye jellies were just edging closer. And closer. And I sat huddling on a ice floe, hoping they were not hostile.

The PRAWN could really use a 'swat' sub-command for its punches.

Sometimes you just want some over-enthusiastic wildlife to buzz off, not to send them to the shadow realm.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Tom Tucker posted:

Also you all are crazy for building main bases in weird spots I have one giant base next to my escape pod / drop pod and MAYBE a few thermal scanning rooms for annoying pickups and fragments.

If you only build a base for storage and utility then I think it’s fine to just build it the easiest place. But the safe shallows aren’t that interesting visually, if I’m building a big base with a multi tier aliens containment and lots of windows, then I want the outside to also look cool.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In Subnautica my Base tends to be over a large hole leading down to Jellyshrooms, so I can pick up near everything with my scanner, even teeth nearby.
In BZ at the far end of the twistys is a rock spire with a cap on it, and right near there are a few grow beds to scan.
So I always build there to get my scanner near a bunch of stuff.
But then you really dont need a lot of minerals for BZ.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I put my second BZ base south-west of Delta, nestled in a little clearing between the heat vents, kelp, and deepwater jellyfish area. I'll post my layout later. I did completely disassemble my starter base above the twisty bridges.

In og Subnautica, my official base was above the crevice with the alien portal in the mushroom forest.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are biome names listed in game somewhere? I’ve (mostly) been playing without a wiki and I have no loving clue what biomes are supposed to be except “red grass” and “jelly cave” and “deep area with glowing blue poo poo”

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

nachos posted:

Are biome names listed in game somewhere? I’ve (mostly) been playing without a wiki and I have no loving clue what biomes are supposed to be except “red grass” and “jelly cave” and “deep area with glowing blue poo poo”

They're not in the game normally, but if you hit F1 it brings up the console and you can see a bunch of bits of info, one of which is which biome the player is in. If I'm ever really curious thats what I check, otherwise it would just be outside-the-game community naming stuff.

I think opening the console fucks with your 'chevos tho, if you care about that. Disables them until you restart for the original and disables them on that entire playthrough for the second.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Wrr posted:

They're not in the game normally, but if you hit F1 it brings up the console and you can see a bunch of bits of info, one of which is which biome the player is in. If I'm ever really curious thats what I check, otherwise it would just be outside-the-game community naming stuff.

I think opening the console fucks with your 'chevos tho, if you care about that. Disables them until you restart for the original and disables them on that entire playthrough for the second.

I don't think F1 counts as using the console, there's a checkbox somewhere you need to use to actually enable the console, I think it's on F2 or F3 somewhere.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ethics_Gradient posted:

You could build a multipurpose room and then a water filtration station to get the salt, but yeah you're outta luck with the lubricant. I brought a creepyvine seed cluster down with me when I built my base towards the back of the Lost River for that reason.

Thankfully I found a portal inside the lava castle so i think it's literally going to be easier to portal out, seaglide to my original base, tear down the moonbase and vehicle upgrade thing there, then bring it all back through the portal and rebuild it at 1200m down.

the cyclops and prawn upgrade path is completely hosed, i absolutely do not want to have to go back out tediously so i'm just making a second module to upgrade which requires a bunch of titanium i gotta get too

frankly this game really fell apart at 900m but im so close to the end i might as well finish it , even though i'm brute forcing it at this point by moving a scanner room around with a power cell charger since stupid slugs keep draining my cells whenever i load them to move the big boat around

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mastershakeman posted:

Thankfully I found a portal inside the lava castle so i think it's literally going to be easier to portal out, seaglide to my original base, tear down the moonbase and vehicle upgrade thing there, then bring it all back through the portal and rebuild it at 1200m down.

the cyclops and prawn upgrade path is completely hosed, i absolutely do not want to have to go back out tediously so i'm just making a second module to upgrade which requires a bunch of titanium i gotta get too

frankly this game really fell apart at 900m but im so close to the end i might as well finish it , even though i'm brute forcing it at this point by moving a scanner room around with a power cell charger since stupid slugs keep draining my cells whenever i load them to move the big boat around

You can upgrade the Cyclops in place, no need to go back up.

Make sure you have a modification station and the right ingredients, then just be quick about it.

And the Prawn doesn't need to have the depth upgrades if it's docked somewhere.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This was definitely my favorite zone out of either game.

:same:

I miss the OG version they had in the early betas where when you went down it opened into a huge main room cavern where you saw a bunch of the flowers. Still though, absolutely gorgeous biome that barely nudges out the Bulb Zone from Sub1.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

uXs posted:

You can upgrade the Cyclops in place, no need to go back up.

Make sure you have a modification station and the right ingredients, then just be quick about it.

And the Prawn doesn't need to have the depth upgrades if it's docked somewhere.

you can yank the mk2 out and mod it and plug it back in and not have the cyclops get crushed?

im getting pretty pissed off - the portal to go back up keeps glitching on me, i don't know why
edit- finally did enough reloading/closing game , trying again, booya. didn't know that moonbase can't be built that deep without flooding so had to scramble and reinforce it immediately, then a bunch of hauling stuff around and bam, max depth prawn and cyclops mods. its ridiculous you can pull that off with the modification station right next to the upgrades spot

editx2 : i got all hyped to push to the end of the game, took the prawn suit to drill the ion deposit in the lava temple. and when i got in there... the water turned off, it thinks i'm on the floor of the alien building, except i'm down by the lava itself. i can get out and run around on the lava unharmed. saving, reloading does nothing. i finally suicided by jumping off ledges and it respawned me at the original spawn , i reloaded again, still glitched. unbelievable
i guess i need to kill myself, spawn at the top of the world, swim to the portal, then hope the portal doesn't glitch, then hope the gravity works right and i can get back to doing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzqQ7BB2C4 this poo poo, identical

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

I once got all the way into the lava zone in my cyclops and went to hop into my prawn suit only to realize I left it in my base.

Doing a run with dozens of massive bases does sound kind of fun though…
The thing is there are some biomes that are so goddamn beautiful (Bulb Zone, Deep Grand Reef) that the moment I got there I immediately go 'gently caress I WANNA BUILD A BASE HERE. Then I spend way too long farming up titanium and quartz and building up a bigass glass base that's horribly lopsided because one end will be multipurpose rooms with tons of reinforcements and then another area that's basically 75% glass.