Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I finished the northwest part of the map and wow, yeah no that was dire. Possibly the worst part of the game so far.

Subnautica is really bad when it's not about being underwater.

imo the land stuff COULD have worked if there was any effort put into it besides none at all

not the snowfox though, that thing is unsalvageable

e: also I found the antidote completely by accident by just stumbling upon the spot and sending in the ol robo penguin, I didn't even know it was A Thing because I never visited the zero lab, so robin going "OH THIS MUST BE SAM'S" was weird as hell :v:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Bishop Beo posted:

Any suggestions on a good spot to put my first real base + scan room in BZ?

delta island above the mining thingy.
Just go into the mines if you need common resources. west to get lithium on safe mercury 2 spawn
sea floor for gold silver and lead.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Oasx posted:

Unless you need the resources then the snowfox is a lot better for the whole area, the prawn gets hit by the worm a lot more and takes longer to repair.
I actually don’t mind the snowfox, and I think the controls are fine, the problem is the design of the northern and southern biome.

With the Jump jet upgrades and grapple arms i just flung myself across the spires and completely ignored the worm. Also I think the worm might have been bugged because I swear it hit me once or twice but i took zero damage.

Honestly the spires and the whole above ground area felt like it was rushed and unfinished then tacked on to the main game. I remember it being completely different in EA, minus the upgrades and other stuff you could get.

(Also they should have let you take the hoverbike across the surface of the water.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yinlock posted:

imo the land stuff COULD have worked if there was any effort put into it besides none at all

not the snowfox though, that thing is unsalvageable

e: also I found the antidote completely by accident by just stumbling upon the spot and sending in the ol robo penguin, I didn't even know it was A Thing because I never visited the zero lab, so robin going "OH THIS MUST BE SAM'S" was weird as hell :v:

I think the game could fairly easily be improved by making it a bit more linear.

As it stands, you can easily skip half the game. It's possible to finish without finding the antidote, or even seeing the frozen leviathan. In a far bigger game with tons of side quests it can be ok to skip a few, but this game only has 2 storylines and the Sam story is why you are there in the first place, so this makes no sense.

You don't even have to change much, in a pinch this could be done by just not letting the player leave with Al-An, either because the player character doesn't want to leave without finishing what Sam started, or by having Al-An not wanting to leave before cleaning up his mess. Or both.

An even better method could be to make the stories more integrated. Have the player find Al-An in the course of finding out what happened to Sam, then have Al-An assist with that quest, instead of solely focusing on his own resurrection.

You could also have Maggie help out a bit here, maybe she has some more clues about the antidote or about alien body parts.

This would solve a lot of the pacing issues I think.

(I would also have cut a bunch of the above ground areas, and added more and deeper ocean biomes. Or at least make the above ground more interesting with better landmarks. Or have a better and more complete map. You wouldn't even need a fully automatic and complete map, just something that encompasses the entire area instead of just half of it, and a pointer with the PC remarking "I think I'm somewhere in this area" would be a massive help.)

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Snowfox? What's that? Prawn suit on land completely breaks the game. As in it is trivially easy to get out of bounds in this game with that thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The plot could definitely do with more gating.

As it is - and as happened to me in my game - you can complete the whole Sam plot without ever encountering Al-an or having more than one encounter with Marguerite. When you find the map in delta base you get a comment that Sam was stationed at Phi, so that's a breadcrumb to go there, and once you do, everything you need to complete the leviathan/antidote stuff is available in the surrounding area. No need to see Marge, no need to visit any other bases. One part of the area is gated off but nothing behind that is plot-related!

It would have helped to require more backwards and forwards around Phi base. Have the broken bridge seal off the entire area, make one of the ingredients for the lubricant be a plant you find in the twisty bridges area where Al-an is. Don't include spy pengling parts in the area, make them something you have to pick up in base Zero. There's a security checkpoint on the way to the cave with the frozen leviathan, have it actually gated off with a key Marguerite can give you once you help her. And in return dot the area with breadcrumbs to help you find Al-an's components rather than have that be a separate thing based on self-motivated exploration.

I'm enjoying this game - haven't finished it yet, but done enough of it that I think I can see where the rest of it is going. But the general order of plot events could really afford to have been tightened.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to be that guy who just says they didn't get any bugs but I certainly didn't experience any severe instability. The only thing I even noticed was some aesthetic things about base building were a little broken. Certain wall decorations wouldn't show their image and trying to mount some wall fixtures on some surfaces with either cause them to get stuck or cause them to use the resource but not be visible.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
original subnautica question: im watching youtube videos of where to get fragments and..i know i've explored these wrecks. i even used a scanner room in the area with fragments up. these fragments were not present

is this a bug or is it some bullshit about fragments having random chances to spawn in a game with otherwise fixed placement biomes/wrecks/lifepods?

also whats the best way to do scanning rooms deep under water? solar panel isnt really cutting it anymore

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

mastershakeman posted:

original subnautica question: im watching youtube videos of where to get fragments and..i know i've explored these wrecks. i even used a scanner room in the area with fragments up. these fragments were not present

is this a bug or is it some bullshit about fragments having random chances to spawn in a game with otherwise fixed placement biomes/wrecks/lifepods?

also whats the best way to do scanning rooms deep under water? solar panel isnt really cutting it anymore

Fragments are semi-random; they will spawn (e.g.) 3 fragments in 5 possible locations, and some of those locations are shared with other possible fragment spawns. It's less "bullshit" than it is "you should probably explore these areas of interest, and this is the most variation we can put into a hand-crafted world".

Super deep and totally arbitrary scanner rooms will need Nukes (overkill, wasteful) or Bioreactors if you're unable to find Thermal. Most people wait for a thermal spot, but shoving a locker full of locally caught fish in will power a scanner for a decent while. Long enough to get what you need out of a temporary setup.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serephina posted:

Fragments are semi-random; they will spawn (e.g.) 3 fragments in 5 possible locations, and some of those locations are shared with other possible fragment spawns. It's less "bullshit" than it is "you should probably explore these areas of interest, and this is the most variation we can put into a hand-crafted world".

Super deep and totally arbitrary scanner rooms will need Nukes (overkill, wasteful) or Bioreactors if you're unable to find Thermal. Most people wait for a thermal spot, but shoving a locker full of locally caught fish in will power a scanner for a decent while. Long enough to get what you need out of a temporary setup.

cool . i lucked into finding the cyclops sonar when dicking around in the seamoth, so pretty soon (once i make the first depth module for cyclops) i'm going to go back to the lost river but this time with the cyclops+prawn suit, and figured i should bring the scanner room with.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dyz posted:

Honestly the spires and the whole above ground area felt like it was rushed and unfinished then tacked on to the main game. I remember it being completely different in EA, minus the upgrades and other stuff you could get.

I played an early access build some time shortly after they reworked the story and the snow areas seem entirely unchanged since then. A snow worm with weird, buggy behavior and a bunch of large outdoor areas connected by caves and tunnels that all looked identical so you could never tell where you were going. That was probably about a year ago and everyone hated it then as well, I'm guessing the devs just didn't have any ideas to actually make it fun but also didn't want to cut such a large section of the game even if the whole thing is trash.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I'm a fan of building a single foundation, an outdoor growbed, a multi-purpose room, and a scanning room. Fill the outdoor growbed with either acid mushrooms or deep shrooms (They injure you when you attack them for seeds in the wild, but the ones in your growbeds they won't injure you when you farm 'em), each shroom is worth like 200 power. You can fit 16 of them into a bioreactor which gives you a dazzling 3200 power per refill. You can also use gel sacks instead of mushrooms, they give roughly the same amount of energy. Grabbing fish and putting them in too works, but it's less convenient than a growbed farm.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
/\The outdoor growbed is super useful in general in both games, I used one filled with Creepvine to light up the area around my base in the first game.
There was a cut ending where you cure and wake up the Frozen Leviathan, which then busts out of the ice in a presumably cool cutscene. Which I guess got cut because it may have been too complicated to make work right.
I started a new BZ playthrough, hopefully I dont get stuck in the one long underwater tunnel near the big on land bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

uXs posted:

The aquarium literally does what it says in the description: it actively collects fish out of the environment. So as you're hauling it around, it just grabs fish out of the ocean for you to eat.

But I guess you do need to either have a fabricator module as well, or manually drop them in the sea again so you can stab them with your cooking knife.

Oh wow, did not realize that at all. That's pretty rad, I actually am wanting to stock my aquariums but often forget to bother grabbing the fish. This should help!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

snow worm with weird, buggy behavior and a bunch of large outdoor areas connected by caves and tunnels that all looked identical so you could never tell where you were going.

Glad it wasn't just me. They're also basically harmless in a Prawn suit and also I guess if you just run. Didn't even try using the snowfox against em, throw down a thumper because I made two and figured I might as well try it. Snow worm spawn... above my thumper? Slight overhang above from one of the ice-rock-spire things on land, just enough ground for him to spawn from I guess? Looked weird. I also couldn't scan them, no matter how close I got. I bet they would've been scarier underwater, or hell, if they could drag you under the ice and you had to slash it off and desperately try to get above surface before ice freezes over or something.

I'm also kind of wondering what the point of the freezing system was above ground. Even before Prawn, there are just always sooo many heart sources littered around. Heat-lamp flowers, geothermal geysers, chilli peppers, an enclosed building or cave with ambient heat, jump in the water, stand in a pool of hot spring water, presumably coffee from thermos brings heat too. The main challenge of land wasn't survival, it was getting bored waiting for a white-out snowstorm to die off so you can maybe look where you're going.

Errant wish: A Tale of Two Wastelands mod for Subnautica where the BZ map is appended to part of the og Subnautica map.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I actually don't miss the sonar mod in BZ. The mapping of the seaglide is actually way more useful this time around at showing caves and entrances. Plus the game isn't as dark as the previous one?

Seconding the opinion of "leviathans aren't scary in this one".

Personally I believe it's because they look too much like actual fish rather than giant sea serpents with horrifying angry faces and loud screaming.

Ramming speed annihilates everything, and your truck never take that much damage after attacks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mostly think it's because you know how leviathans work at this point. Subnautica itself stopped being scary for me a few hours in, BZ just continues that. By the endgame it was mostly "this is annoying I don't want to have to rebuild my cyclops" than anything else.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The scariness of the original Subnautica has been hyped up so much, that people now think of it as a horror game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Oasx posted:

The scariness of the original Subnautica has been hyped up so much, that people now think of it as a horror game.

Yeah the dominant feeling for me was always just exploration mixed with a hint of adventure. Nothing was actually scary, firstly because you can get away from almost anything even without special gear and secondly because the punishment for death is not harsh.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oasx posted:

For me, it was.

BZ is much less so and I'm fairly comfortable because now I can make roadkill and that provides a lot of agency. OG Subnautica, I felt very much at the whim of the simulated Mother Nature.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The protag of BZ seems to have survival training, or at least is familiar with the planet's fun brand of bullshit.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
There's also not as many "look down into nothingness" areas of BZ. The big part of that thalassophobia feeling from the first one was going into areas where you couldn't see the floor.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Theres a few spotd with long tunnels connecting biomes that sort of have that feeling, but yeah its not really the same.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
CrazyCephalopoda has started her BZ lets play.
Shes not much of a gamer but does teach aquatic related classes and is getting her PHD so is interesting to listen to as she goes off on why some of the things in the game are the way they are.
i.e. bioluminescence and fin placement etc.

Playlist here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL70KgbsIbcYOJO0y6sSldNRGlSAvNKkm_

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 26, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Stasis gun is gone, I think the only ways to scan leviathans now are killing them and scanning the corpse or bringing enough health packs with you that you can tank the hits repeatedly. Strange decision from the devs to get rid of it without adding any sort of replacement.

You could just chase behind them rather than trying to knife a leviathan 250 times.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I am not sure I can be bothered with finding the antidote. The pengling robot is alright, though with very little use (quartz? great!), but until I went on a killing spree in the Prawn orphaning snow stalker babies, the outdoors is awful to navigate. Even in the Prawn, I keep ending going in circles, not being able to find something.

Also, that area was awful arriving to during night hours. I know there's land, as I could see some plants. But I could not seea way to land, and all the while the eye jellies were just edging closer. And closer. And I sat huddling on a ice floe, hoping they were not hostile.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Iacen posted:

Also, that area was awful arriving to during night hours. I know there's land, as I could see some plants. But I could not seea way to land, and all the while the eye jellies were just edging closer. And closer. And I sat huddling on a ice floe, hoping they were not hostile.

such emergent gameplay!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How does the game decide that it's time to point you in a new direction? I've visited all the bases and I've got blueprints for 2/3 Architect components, but it's not really...doing anything anymore. Do I need to trip some sorta flag somewhere?

Edit: The game said something about crystal formations. Without revealing too much, what quadrant is that in?

Edit 2: Protip for other players. Don't name your bases random stupid poo poo, I have no idea where anything is now.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 26, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zesty posted:

You could just chase behind them rather than trying to knife a leviathan 250 times.

That's what I ended up doing, hence the health packs. You can chase behind them but they're still going to turn around and attack you a few times and you can only absorb one hit before it gives you the death animation. I never killed the leviathans in the first game either but at least it was easy to do with the stasis gun, knifing them isn't really a viable option this time around with it gone.

Pollyanna posted:

How does the game decide that it's time to point you in a new direction? I've visited all the bases and I've got blueprints for 2/3 Architect components, but it's not really...doing anything anymore. Do I need to trip some sorta flag somewhere?

Edit: The game said something about crystal formations. Without revealing too much, what quadrant is that in?

Poke around some more in either Marguerite's underwater base or in the area with the fumaroles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Poke around some more in either Marguerite's underwater base or in the area with the fumaroles.

I did not mark that location at all :negative:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Last know position marker you should already have.

A lot of leads are just vocal or text and not markers.
They really want you to pay attention to everything thats given to you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pollyanna posted:

Easiest way to get there is The tunnels under the huge Vent Garden, follow the wreckage and you'll find her base. Crystal place is deeper from there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

OgNar posted:

A lot of leads are just vocal or text and not markers.
They really want you to pay attention to everything thats given to you.

That's a real problem because most of those logs last longer than my air tank so I spend the last half scrambling to stay alive instead of listening.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Oasx posted:

I never felt 'scared' during Subnautica, but there were so many times I felt a really amazing sense of suspense and tension. Diving into a tunnel and getting lost, trying to find your way out as your oxygen ticks down. Entering a new Biome where all you can see is odd glowing lights amid pure blackness. The leviathans weren't ever really 'scary' (Except the very first time I went into the crash zone, one came up from behind and grabbed me without me seeing him and to suddenly have the camera twirl around, see a six-tentacled horror roaring in your face then eat you was a jump) but the tension of slowly moving past them in the cyclops with silent running on staring at the yellow dot hoping it doesn't turn red was suspenseful as hell and I loved it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

That's a real problem because most of those logs last longer than my air tank so I spend the last half scrambling to stay alive instead of listening.

Which is why there is a checkbox to pause while in your pda.
drat handy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

uXs posted:

I think the game could fairly easily be improved by making it a bit more linear.

ideas

even on a basic level you could just put more holes in the ice, being able to easily transition between water and land would do wonders.

give us that hovercraft from the concept art too, that thing rules

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Made it to Crystal Caves and honestly I'm bouncing off of this game by now. This is a hell of a slog and I might just youtube the rest of it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DreadUnknown posted:

/\The outdoor growbed is super useful in general in both games, I used one filled with Creepvine to light up the area around my base in the first game.

I once built a trail of growbeds with Creepvine (for visibility) and brain coral so I could reach the containment facility without building any vehicles other than a Seaglide.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I once built a trail of growbeds with Creepvine (for visibility) and brain coral so I could reach the containment facility without building any vehicles other than a Seaglide.

If you know where you're going I think you can just get there with spare air tanks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wait, you can plant brain coral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OgNar posted:

Which is why there is a checkbox to pause while in your pda.
drat handy.

holy loving poo poo

wait, pause the game so you can read/listen without losing oxygen or pause the audio?