Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

honestly the concept of "prison architect" even as a videogame struck me as being loving gross so this seemed like a logical conclusion to whatever the boardgame was doing

"you need to kill all these people, by shooting them in the head if possible" as a video game is loving gross too but welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I've been told repeatedly by people that the video game does try to be a game where you really can do all the "good prison" things, focus on helping prisoners reform in a safe and healthy environment, and so on. Those people stopped playing it anyway.

The designers say the board game is a banger, so hopefully they can make something good out of it.
That could be a good use for the Paranoia license, where players can choose to cooperate to keep a lid on the complex -OR- sabotage it to further the goals of their own faction.

I suppose it could also work for Fallout as well, but that license is likely out of reach.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

That could be a good use for the Paranoia license, where players can choose to cooperate to keep a lid on the complex -OR- sabotage it to further the goals of their own faction.

I suppose it could also work for Fallout as well, but that license is likely out of reach.

There's a Fallout wargame/ttrpg out there. Humble Bundle had a bundle for it, so it might not be as out of reach as you might think.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I've been told repeatedly by people that the video game does try to be a game where you really can do all the "good prison" things, focus on helping prisoners reform in a safe and healthy environment, and so on. Those people stopped playing it anyway.

The designers say the board game is a banger, so hopefully they can make something good out of it.

Yeah, I didn't think the video game was really negative in any way and I never saw any real push back against it, so I'm surprised there was an outcry against it becoming a board game

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I remember a lot of people (myself included) being kind of put off by the theme personally. I don't know if there was a big backlash as such, but then I was never a "this game shouldn't exist" person for either. I just don't want to play it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Prison Architect as a video game is incredibly neutral and largely about running a working prison system with it being somewhat up to the player to decide what they consider to be a working prison, with it reflecting more on the player than anything. It's just a building sim with a prison theme. I didn't look at the kickstarter so maybe the kickstarter was doing something worse by making it into an inhumane treatment sim thing but idk, the video game is just as neutral as you can get with the idea of needing to build a secure and safe place to house and care for the convicts who come in and the people who work there. Was it just the theme that was bothering people or was it mechanics as well?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
FWIW the linked post on BGG does bring up "a single player computer game about building and running a prison is in several ways different from a social multiplayer tabletop game about same" as a thing (even if the game itself has no wink-wink heh,heh content whatsoever in either incarnation.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think the video game also has multiplayer too, co-op, was the board game co-op or versus?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Prison Simulator the game has come under fire multiple times in the past for its treatment of stuff surrounding prisons and the fact that it simulates a for-profit prison in which optimal output is achieved by being pretty awful, iirc.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

The Witcher is live. Go get your minis.
Cool, can't wait to check it out, I -

Oh. Well, guess I'll save my cash then.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Here's a small looking kickstarter that looked interesting. Clear plastic shelves to hang from your DM screen if you're fighting for table space.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1652983757/gm-screen-slip-on-ledges/description

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ZRM posted:

There's a Fallout wargame/ttrpg out there. Humble Bundle had a bundle for it, so it might not be as out of reach as you might think.

It's more likely to be out of reach because there's already a licensed Fallout boardgame.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Hollandia posted:

Cool, can't wait to check it out, I -

Oh. Well, guess I'll save my cash then.

Is this a red flag of some sort?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah IDGI either

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The fiction says you shouldn't go, sooo...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

it's cause the snippet is saying "you shouldn't embark on this perilous journey" folks

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Prison Simulator the game has come under fire multiple times in the past for its treatment of stuff surrounding prisons and the fact that it simulates a for-profit prison in which optimal output is achieved by being pretty awful, iirc.

That could have made the game a decent tool to teach people about the down sides of corporate run prisons.

Corporations exist to make money and the easiest way for employees to succeed is to cut costs and make the corporation more money. Some things should not be turned over to corporations, without strict guidelines and penalties prisons being one of them.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's cause the snippet is saying "you shouldn't embark on this perilous journey" folks
Yeah it's just a joke about a minor copy editing thing but it stuck out to me, I re-read it a few times like :confused:.

It's incredibly minor considering how often the thread is able to find real bad poo poo in KS projects, but it made me laugh :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

5hr warning on Wrymwood x Dispel Dice
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wyrmwood/wyrmwoodxdispeldice

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just wanted to let you all know I have a crack in my brain that has compelled me to get the biggest version of the Darkest Dungeon board game kickstarter I could and also the Cyberpunk kickstarter with all the free minis.

All I want is these minis and this Witcher nonsense is tempting me badly. There is a horse on the roof folks.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for the heads up, I was able to snag a Wave 2 pledge from a cancellation

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wrr posted:

Just wanted to let you all know I have a crack in my brain that has compelled me to get the biggest version of the Darkest Dungeon board game kickstarter I could and also the Cyberpunk kickstarter with all the free minis.

All I want is these minis and this Witcher nonsense is tempting me badly. There is a horse on the roof folks.

there's a cyberpunk kickstarter?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

there's a cyberpunk kickstarter?

Yeah, just closed out a few weeks ago. Pledge manager should open up in a week or two.

http://kck.st/32DUWIl

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wrr posted:

Yeah, just closed out a few weeks ago. Pledge manager should open up in a week or two.

http://kck.st/32DUWIl

thanks. a few years back I realized that games that involve measuring tools (tokens, tape, etc) are just not for me.

I will probably do something unwise with the darkest dungeon KS though

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

thanks. a few years back I realized that games that involve measuring tools (tokens, tape, etc) are just not for me.

I will probably do something unwise with the darkest dungeon KS though

I honestly am not expecting to actually play these games more than once, maybe, I'm in it for the sweet sweet minis. I painted three of the cops they've already released and had a good time doing it, now I crave more. The DD board game is like.... 60lb s total worth of game. I am spending a frankly absurd amount of money on it, but I'm getting like.....250~ minis or something. Enough minis to last me a life-time of painting.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

every 3-4 years I get it into my head that I'm gonna hunker down and git gud at painting miniatures and it takes 1 time sitting down to paint before I chuckle to myself at how hilariously outmatched I am by painting anything smaller than a wall.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ehhh the Witcher looks good with good minis but I canceled my pledge because I’m not even kidding myself that I’ll bother to play it considering all the other stuff I have pledged lately.

Can you add on the wild hunt mini if you pledge $2? That I would want.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wrr posted:

Cautionary Tale: I bit off more than I could chew and backed like 6 big mini-boardgame kickstarters in 2019. Now I've sold/plan to sell at least 4 of them and haven't backed any new ones since. I have no idea how anyone has the time to back and actually enjoy every big kickstarter unless they're an idle rich nerd with no family. But hey, the inevitable piles of exclusives generally means you can resell them for a decent amount as long as you don't open them.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Cautionary Tale: I bit off more than I could chew and backed like 6 big mini-boardgame kickstarters in 2019. Now I've sold/plan to sell at least 4 of them and haven't backed any new ones since. I have no idea how anyone has the time to back and actually enjoy every big kickstarter unless they're an idle rich nerd with no family. But hey, the inevitable piles of exclusives generally means you can resell them for a decent amount as long as you don't open them.

This is why I will not back the Witcher board game. The minis aren't worth it. I just have a deep soft spot in my heart for both Darkest Dungeon and Cyberpunk poo poo. The DD minis look fantastic, which is doubly awesome since most of them are just the attack poses from the game rendered in 3D.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Onyx Path are doing a Kickstarter for Exalted: Essence, a rules-light alternate core book that's compatible with Exalted 3E. I guess it's like Shadowrun Anarchy, only (hopefully) good.

They're promising all Exalt types being creatable with just the core book, which (based on my understand on how prior editions have done it) seems a) very tempting if you are into the setting and b) something which I wonder how the 3E fanbase will take, given that last I checked their roadmap to getting all 10 types playable was stretching off into the dim hazy future.

clockworkjoe posted:

I launched a Kickstarter for a podcast series featuring me (Ross Payton of Role Playing Public Radio), Greg Stolze, and James Wallis. It's called Ludonarrative Dissidents. Each episode we look at a single RPG and analyze it. Backers get to vote on which RPGs we examine. Check the list here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosspayton/ludonarrative-dissidents-a-ttrpg-analysis-podcast-series
I see you've hit your funding goal, so congrats. I hope it pans out for you. Having watched Wallis botch two Kickstarters I'd signed up to*, I think you're making a very brave call. I guess it helps that on this concept you just need to point a microphone at him and have him speak, rather than having him produce any form of finalised text (tell me he's not editing the episodes, if he's editing the episodes you are probably doomed), but I'm going to be real here and say it will surprise me not even slightly if you end up having to do a bunch of episodes a host down because for whatever reason he wasn't able to make an episode.

Sorry to be negative, but given how appallingly he treated his backers (I can identify several direct promises and commitments he made to backers which he simply broke) I can't be particularly positive about Wallis being involved in a Kickstarter.

* To the extent that on one I sued him for a refund after he simply ceased talking to his backers for a year or so and wouldn't answer my requests for clarification, after I had previously been entirely encouraging to the point of pre-reading one of his Kickstarter updates and offering feedback to stop him spilling even more personal baggage in front of people who absolutely did not care about it and did not need to know about it, and on the other an entire stretch goal was abandoned with the publisher posting a Kickstarter update to the effect of "well, there's no sign of the book and James is now refusing to talk to us except through an intermediary".

EDIT:

malkav11 posted:

The one direct association I have with Wallis is the previously mentioned Alas, Vegas. Which I honestly think is brilliant. But it's pretty inarguable that the process of getting it made and into backer hands was a lengthy series of disasters and delay. I'm still kind of shocked that it not only came out in PDF but I did even eventually get the hardcover. (I cannot for the life of me remember if everything that was promised was fulfilled, but the main game and the other stuff that went into that book, certainly.) So, yeah. Not your best KS authority really.

Example of a broken promise: when he took a break to develop Baron Munchausen 3rd Edition, he said he'd also do an Alas Vegas backer-exclusive version of the game as a thank you to the backers for giving him a (majority vote) support for taking that break, and give free copies to Alas Vegas backers at certain pledge levels and offer the chance to buy it at a discount to backers at lower levels.

Then he signed a contract with FFG to put the book out, which precluded doing an exclusive backer edition. And he only offered backers free copies/discounts when, after returning from the wilderness with a finalised Alas Vegas text, people pointed out that Munchausen 3E was out and he hadn't provided backers with anything. The arrangement eventually reached was that he'd get the copies at-cost from FFG and pass them on to backers, and the whole thing sounded like he either:

- Totally forgot about the promise of a backer-exclusive edition, or backer copies of BM3 in general, when he was negotiating the FFG contract and then had to reach an arrangement with them in a hurry when people called him out on that.
- Remembered, but decided to break yet another backer promise for the sake of signing that contract with FFG, just like he signed onto the Paranoia project after he said he wouldn't before finishing Alas Vegas, and just like he insisted that the text of Alas Vegas was basically done when he ran the original Kickstarter only for impostor syndrome to make him scrap a bunch of it and start again.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 27, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

neonchameleon posted:

Hogshead was in the late 90s and early 00s the biggest selling RPG company based in the UK, mostly because it had the license for WFRP. He was still apparently making money when he quit Hogshead, making him more successful than the overwhelming majority of the RPG industry - but the money at the time was in the d20 glut of disposable RPGs and that wasn't something he wanted to do at all. He's more legit than most commentators - at least the ones who aren't almost 20 years out of the business. As pontificators go he's got a better record and has seen more sides of the industry than almost everyone else I can think of (with a few exceptions) - but most of it's 20 years out of date.
To give context on this:

- As I remember it, Hogshead was, whilst not the only RPG company in the UK in the mid-1990s to early 2000s, certainly the most interesting one. WFRP was a big deal, the New Style line was important, Interactive Fantasy magazine was not widely-read but was influential. Wallis as a publisher of other people's ideas was on the cutting edge... back then.

- That said, that's as a publisher. As a game designer himself, his record's patchier. Baron Munchausen is good, but also feels a bit like a riff on the central mechanic of Once Upon a Time, which he co-designed.

- I wouldn't write him off as a useful source for such a podcast, because if you are doing a deep dive onto, say, WFRP he'd be invaluable to help fill in the late 1st edition period, and he probably has good contacts in the scene.

- However... I think he's a terrible choice to be a co-host for a podcast because every interaction I have had with him suggests he's astonishingly unreliable.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Warthur posted:

Example of a broken promise: when he took a break to develop Baron Munchausen 3rd Edition, he said he'd also do an Alas Vegas backer-exclusive version of the game as a thank you to the backers for giving him a (majority vote) support for taking that break, and give free copies to Alas Vegas backers at certain pledge levels and offer the chance to buy it at a discount to backers at lower levels.

Then he signed a contract with FFG to put the book out, which precluded doing an exclusive backer edition. And he only offered backers free copies/discounts when, after returning from the wilderness with a finalised Alas Vegas text, people pointed out that Munchausen 3E was out and he hadn't provided backers with anything. The arrangement eventually reached was that he'd get the copies at-cost from FFG and pass them on to backers, and the whole thing sounded like he either:

- Totally forgot about the promise of a backer-exclusive edition, or backer copies of BM3 in general, when he was negotiating the FFG contract and then had to reach an arrangement with them in a hurry when people called him out on that.
- Remembered, but decided to break yet another backer promise for the sake of signing that contract with FFG, just like he signed onto the Paranoia project after he said he wouldn't before finishing Alas Vegas, and just like he insisted that the text of Alas Vegas was basically done when he ran the original Kickstarter only for impostor syndrome to make him scrap a bunch of it and start again.

Given the, ah, extended timeline of Alas, Vegas, I know I had forgotten about this promise and would understand if he had also. Not that it makes it okay, exactly. :P

(Also I have said hardcover copy of Baron Munchausen 3rd on the shelf right next to Alas, Vegas. Much less my thing but I figured why not.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The thing which really annoyed me about it was that it was part of a pattern of behaviour where Wallis would demonstrate that meeting his commitments to backers (or communicating with them, or showing even a shred of humility and contrition for going dark for a year) just wasn't that important to him. It really felt to me that by the end of the process Wallis regarded the backers as utter pests that he resented and not, you know, the people who bankrolled his vanity project in the first place.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At one point he straight up called backers asking for a status update of years-late project "screaming spider monkeys clinging to his back"

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I think that was where he was referring to the project (not the backers) as a "bastard monkey demon", though this was in the context of absolutely flipping out at the backers.

Being in a position where he won't talk to Mongoose Publishing except through an intermediary is pathetic, but adopting a system where he doesn't talk to Kickstarter backers for project he's on except through an intermediary would probably be sensible.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I would just suggest he not personally crowdfund anything. (And I don't recall him doing so after Alas, Vegas but maybe I missed it.) It seems like it's a bad fit for him both in terms of how he works and in terms of his personal mental health.

Which is distinct from being one host of a podcast where I assume clockworkjoe is the one actually spearheading the project & managing the KS.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I would just suggest he not personally crowdfund anything. (And I don't recall him doing so after Alas, Vegas but maybe I missed it.) It seems like it's a bad fit for him both in terms of how he works and in terms of his personal mental health.

Which is distinct from being one host of a podcast where I assume clockworkjoe is the one actually spearheading the project & managing the KS.
Very true, though if I were clockworkjoe I'd ask Wallis to just plain not comment on the Kickstarter page or interact with backers in any fashion because it's very obvious that Wallis both dislikes that and is very bad at it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hollandia posted:

Yeah it's just a joke about a minor copy editing thing but it stuck out to me, I re-read it a few times like :confused:.

It's incredibly minor considering how often the thread is able to find real bad poo poo in KS projects, but it made me laugh :(

I enjoyed the joke and it made me chuckle too. I appreciated it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Thanks for the additional info. I knew the Alas Vegas Kickstarter had a troubled history but had no idea of the specifics. To clarify a few things, this project was Greg's idea and it seemed pretty simple at the time. It was launched on my account because Greg had just launched his own Kickstarter a few months earlier and hadn't finished sending out all rewards. I will edit the podcasts and do pretty much every technical thing for it, so I will make sure it is fulfilled. James only has to show up and talk. If there is a scheduling problem, I will make arrangements to ensure the podcasts are put out on a regular basis. Also, James has apologized for his earlier tweet. I understand anyone who feels uncomfortable about backing this project because of James. I am confident we will be able to fulfill the project though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Fae's Anatomy

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faesanatomy/faes-anatomy-a-melodramatic-medical-mystery-rpg/description

If you ever wondered what Dr. House would be but as a team of Wizards solving medical mysteries with mystic might, then take a look at Fae's Anatomy. It is a fast paced fantasy medical mystery drama in the vein of an improv game like Fiasco and the book serves as the GM so everyone can play.

quote:

What is Fae's Anatomy?

Fae’s Anatomy: A Melodramatic Medical Mystery RPG parodies the stories found in procedural medical dramas. Think General Hospital, Grey’s Anatomy, M.A.S.H, or House. Only insane, because who needs realism?

One player takes on the role of the Patient, struggling to provide the medical team with enough clues so they can make a diagnosis. Each Patient can come down with any 1-of-10,000 possible diseases! Roleplay the symptoms...or die!

The rest of the players are Providers, medical professionals dedicated to solving the case and saving a life. But being a doctor is stressful! To stay focused and solve the case, our medical heroes need to steal medications from the pharmacy, make out in broom closets, and the other heinously unprofessional stuff that makes science interesting enough to watch on television.

No one starts the game knowing what’s wrong; the game “black boxes” the diagnostic puzzle so that even the Patient doesn’t know what they’re suffering from. The whole table has to work together to solve the crisis!

Who is Fae's Anatomy For?

Fae’s Anatomy is an indie storytelling game wrapped around a sprawling logic puzzle. It features the fun and freedom of an improv game (like Fiasco or Hillfolk), but fueled by a deductive challenge difficult enough to engage more traditional RPG players.

Fae’s Anatomy is GM-less and dice-less. The rules take five minutes to learn, fit onto a single character sheet, and require no more than one person to have read anything beforehand.

Everything in Fae's Anatomy — theme, mechanics, presentation, etc. — is designed to get the game started as quickly and easily as possible.

Who is Fae's Anatomy By?

Goon Caleb Stokes of Red Markets, Delta Green, Roleplaying Public Radio and many others is the game designer behind Fae's Anatomy.

What to know how Fae's Anatomy is played?

Here is audio of an free actual play with Greg Stolze

https://www.patreon.com/posts/faes-anatomy-51354775?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copy_to_clipboard&utm_campaign=postshare

If you want to know more about how the game was designed, look no further than the Roleplaying Public Radio's Game Designer's Workshop here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2021/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-caleb-stokes-on-faes-anatomy/

If you are interested in more of Caleb's game design work through Hebanon Games, backers for Fae's Anatomy can pick up Red Markets, it's expansions and No Security (Call of Cthulhu adventures in 1930s) for a discounted price.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 29, 2021