Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Saying DQXI arc 3 is postgame is like saying the dark world in DQ3 is postgame because beating Baramos was the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Now we see if they can actually make a good Pokémon game or will it just be a stale rehash like the rest

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

we've argued about this before, but it's a bit different when the story gets satisfactorily resolved and the game even rolls credits, innit?

i didn't play most of act 3 because it was clearly pretty uninteresting and the story was just spinning its wheels. it's great if you want to play more DQXI after the credits, but i didn't.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I learned long, long ago that most RPG post-games are just not for me. I tried to get the Gilgamesh hunt in FFXII because, duh, Gilgamesh, but I couldn't even make it that far. There are games I love that I wouldn't touch the postgame for with a twenty foot pole. FFX, for instance. Any Tri-Ace game.

Haven't played DQXI so I can't comment but credits roll does not necessarily mean you're in the "postgame"; one of the SaGa Frontier scenarios does it (I'm blanking on which one but I wanna say Red) and then has the whole final dungeon and boss fight after, and I don't think anyone would be pedantic enough to call that the postgame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

Haven't played DQXI so I can't comment but credits roll does not necessarily mean you're in the "postgame"; one of the SaGa Frontier scenarios does it (I'm blanking on which one but I wanna say Red) and then has the whole final dungeon and boss fight after, and I don't think anyone would be pedantic enough to call that the endgame.

That'd be Blue's scenario. The credits roll after the duel with Rouge but the story's just kicking into high gear at that point.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah DQXI is a weird one for me because the end of Act II is a perfectly satisfying ending, and the end of Act III is a different satisfying ending. Really both seem perfectly valid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Act 2's ending was fine and the premise of Act 3 was so unappealing I quit instantly, which sucks because act 1 and 2 have a whole bunch of unexplained stuff if you don't play it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Trypophobia strikes again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

yeah i keep planning on checking out daisenryaku but it feels so unnatural...

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

good call imo. I wouldn't want giant geometry bees coming at me either

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

good call imo. I wouldn't want giant geometry bees coming at me either

Well, yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFX_Lq3tUbw

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I don't even know what happens if you do touch them because I respected Escha's wishes

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

I don't even know what happens if you do touch them because I respected Escha's wishes

You get a way powered up version of the final boss, IIRC.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funny thing is that even if you do break them, you just get a dialog choice of if you want the normal final boss or the mega strong version anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah each one you break makes the boss stronger

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Can't wait to hear those people that play this game complain when it doesn't match up to their ethereal dream version of what an open-world pokemon game should be.

Oh you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlopKnC6JU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Post games rule, more games should add them. Asura's Wrath was like the best one because it had like 4 post games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RareAcumen posted:

Post games rule, more games should add them. Asura's Wrath was like the best one because it had like 4 post games.

Asura's wrath literally hid its last part of the game behind DLC with the base game having a cliffhanger

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ace Transmuter posted:

I learned long, long ago that most RPG post-games are just not for me. I tried to get the Gilgamesh hunt in FFXII because, duh, Gilgamesh, but I couldn't even make it that far. There are games I love that I wouldn't touch the postgame for with a twenty foot pole. FFX, for instance. Any Tri-Ace game.

Haven't played DQXI so I can't comment but credits roll does not necessarily mean you're in the "postgame"; one of the SaGa Frontier scenarios does it (I'm blanking on which one but I wanna say Red) and then has the whole final dungeon and boss fight after, and I don't think anyone would be pedantic enough to call that the postgame.

I actually liked tri-ace post games because they were generally just more fun combat. Until SO4 and the Wandering Dungeon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

That'd be Blue's scenario. The credits roll after the duel with Rouge but the story's just kicking into high gear at that point.

I think MHW did the same thing when you beat Zorah Magdaros didn't it? It's been awhile since I played through MHW.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think MHW did the same thing when you beat Zorah Magdaros didn't it? It's been awhile since I played through MHW.

Rise does it even worse lmao

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
No. World didn't give you a credit roll until High Rank was done, and you defeated the actual final boss.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Rofl, dq11 isn't complete if you don't do act 3. That's not post game that's game. Crazy people are arguing otherwise. Rune Factory 4 also does credits after every arc. Jesus sometimes I think this is the hot take thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GAFL4VaPO0&t=82s

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mirello posted:

Rofl, dq11 isn't complete if you don't do act 3. That's not post game that's game. Crazy people are arguing otherwise. Rune Factory 4 also does credits after every arc. Jesus sometimes I think this is the hot take thread.

i mean there are obviously lingering greater-scope questions but on an emotional level Act 2 is a perfectly satisfying ending to the game on its own

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mirello posted:

Act 2's ending is too good is the problem. It confuses people and makes them think they added an extra dozen hours of gameplay on the end of the game after it on accident.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

After act 2, I felt the beginning of Act 3 as a pain in my soul that I was amazed a game was able to create. Act 3 is good and it is game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sucks that we had to trade all those graves and character building misery to get it though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't bother beating Act 3 because it felt like a chore

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Sucks that we had to trade all those graves and character building misery to get it though.
For real, never in a million years would I have made the same choice as the protag. Maybe that's what makes him a hero. he did it because he's a dunce

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a dq hero. he doesn't have enough of a personality to be a dunce.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's a dq hero. he doesn't have enough of a personality to be a dunce.

*shocked expression, takes a step back*

quote="GreenBuckanneer" post="515017329"]
Oh you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlopKnC6JU
[/quote]

I mean, yeah. It's great to make concept stuff when you don't actually have to sorry about, like, making that stuff fun or sustaining it over the course of the game. Or wonder how to fit visual customizations on hundreds of pokemon. So you end up with something that looks really cool and fun, but that's all.

Though I really dig the idea of pokeball customization. A little, simple thing that could be fun and would mean stickers and such could be potential treasures to find. Or at least sticking them on your hat/backpack.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 27, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Mirello posted:

to be fair, rune factory 4 is another game where arc 2's ending is emotionally satisfying while arc 3 might as well be post-game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

*blinks twice, takes a step back*

FTFY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They just announced the Octopath Engine remake for Dragon Quest 3.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BETLb0hYAuQ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh, that's pretty neat. kinda makes octopath a bit less unique though

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mirello posted:

here's a hotter take: act 3 sucks rear end and as such act 2 is the real ending and the rest deserves to be ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Act 3 is so narratively offputting to me I'll never know how lovely it might be to play!

Whose excited for all the female characters to get bunny girl dresses this time???