Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh also there's apparently a big invisible defense malus if you've got any empty armor slots, which i also didn't know until stream chat told me, which was super annoying because i like to go helmetless. Putting a simple hood on made a noticeable difference in taking hits after that.

So don't leave any armor slots empty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zesty posted:

Fallen Knight Armor is pretty bad because of it's low poise, right?
Fallen Knight Armor is popular to hate on because it looks cool, so newbies wear it but real in the know gamers have memorized the wiki and know that actually the item description for the pants says that the pants have poo poo in them

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I wish more armour had a slim profile like the Dancer's armour. Most of the sets are pretty clunky.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh also there's apparently a big invisible defense malus if you've got any empty armor slots, which i also didn't know until stream chat told me, which was super annoying because i like to go helmetless. Putting a simple hood on made a noticeable difference in taking hits after that.

So don't leave any armor slots empty!

It's too bad.
In DS2 it was super fun to run around shirtless with super-heavy helmet and gloves instead of wearing a full medium-weight armor set.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I was mostly making a joke. :v:

Anyway, Aldrich dead. I'm making a habit of needing exactly two attempts for each boss. Dungeon/Capital cleared out. I still have no concept of how the jailers' mechanics work...but I never died to them so. :shrug:

Unsurprisingly, like many a Siegward before him, mine died to Yhorm because the controls for Storm Ruler are turbo hosed, particularly with my perferred KB+M setup. Check this out: I need to start by holding down left shift, my general "left hand actions" modifier key. Then hold down RMB (heavy attack) to charge it up. Then I have to release left shift I guess to make it suddenly go "oh poo poo you're pressing a right hand attack button" and the wind blast will then execute. (And yes, I would regularly get flustered and press RMB first and get locked into a useless heavy attack, why do you ask? :negative:)

Being forcibly teleported back to Lothric and in all likelihood getting trapped in the Dancer fight immediately after another boss and without getting to spend your souls is some really janky garbage. I wonder how and why it came to be like that; it feels they couldn't figure out how to connect the first and second halves of the game together and were forced to take the most awkwardly direct way possible.

On a totally different note, it's remarkable how many areas and little setpieces stand out when you go into them knowing they were experimenting with stealth mechanics.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 27, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

feelix posted:

Fallen Knight Armor is popular to hate on because it looks cool, so newbies wear it but real in the know gamers have memorized the wiki and know that actually the item description for the pants says that the pants have poo poo in them

I used to have a character that specifically wore only the pants from that set.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

WaltherFeng posted:

I used to have a character that specifically wore only the pants from that set.

that's a power move

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love the Thorns Armor set and wore it for the longest time in my playthrough. So many little dodges into enemies and taking off maybe 2 or 3 points of damage but the bonus of occasionally knocking them out of an attack move and then wailing on them. I eventually also tried out the Iron Dragonslayer set, the Alva set, the Faraam set and I beat the game with the Firelink set.

Did love the thorns set most of all though :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Being forcibly teleported back to Lothric and in all likelihood getting trapped in the Dancer fight immediately after another boss and without getting to spend your souls is some really janky garbage. I wonder how and why it came to be like that; it feels they couldn't figure out how to connect the first and second halves of the game together and were forced to take the most awkwardly direct way possible.

On a totally different note, it's remarkable how many areas and little setpieces stand out when you go into them knowing they were experimenting with stealth mechanics.

Tbh it’s really more the first 75%, and that includes Archdragon Peak. It’s still like super loving weird that they just don’t force you back to Firelink and have the Firekeeper just tell you to go there.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Big ups to the buds putting down "try torch" messages around the cathedral, negative rating to From Software for not acknowledging that my hand is literally on fire.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s still like super loving weird that they just don’t force you back to Firelink and have the Firekeeper just tell you to go there.

In a way it also speaks to what has been slowly but surely nagging at me: I think I just straight up hate the narrative and world design. Having a character suddenly magically abduct my character to more or less say "hey quit fuckin' around, it's time for the Lothric show" is really frustrating because there's been little to no narrative build-up to Lothric being vitally important beyond the basic conceit of "find the missing lords". Even if you don't read a single scrap of lore, DS1 has a pretty clear breadcrumb trail to follow ending with the payoff of Anor Londo. Lothric may be looming above the rest of the world, but it's no Anor Londo. (Doubly so because Anor Londo is literally right over there. :v:) Maybe I'll change my tune once I make some more progress, but I have doubts.

The whole converging worlds idea feels more like a crappy excuse to hodge-podge random typical Dark Souls areas together.* It would've been way cooler if these places were at least being violently smushed together or otherwise crossing over with each other. But instead they're politely sequestered from each other with ominous doors or secret passages. It's way too mannered. Ironically, DS2 not giving much of a poo poo about plausible geography didn't bother me because there was no explanation beyond "development problems". Whereas having an explanation in 3 (along with it trying to keep said geography neatly arranged ala DS1) actually bothers me more, because it's not really in service of anything and it sticks out when I blunder out of the Catacombs (which were hidden under Farron Swamp for Reasons) onto Irithyll's doorstep. I think Irithyll is supposed to be important to the story? But it's treated like any other area so hell if I know. The Profaned Capital is a pretty darn good Dark Soulsy name, but goddamn do I have no context whatsoever for what or why it actually is.

*Also not a fan of how redundant a lot of this has felt. The Cathedral inevitably overlaps with Irithyll and Anor Londo, and that's not entirely without reason, but it's still a bit tiresome. Maybe it's a stretch to say the Catacombs and the Dungeon are too alike, but they both feel like they're somewhat similar to the Capital, and of course there's the loving Demon Ruins stinking up the place. And lastly you have the Not Poison Swamp back to back with the Poison Swamp.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 28, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Even if you don't read a single scrap of lore, DS1 has a pretty clear breadcrumb trail to follow ending with the payoff of Anor Londo.

Second bell ringing cutscene literally showing the gate being opened helps too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Banemaster posted:

Second bell ringing cutscene literally showing the gate being opened helps too.

Ironically I feel like DS1 does fumble there slightly because while it flashes a neon sign saying GO TO SEN'S it totally glosses over Frampt existing. There's an alternate version of the cutscenes that actually fixes that - the bells wake Frampt, Frampt tells the giants to get off their asses - but for whatever reason they nixed it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t the Crestfallen Knight tell you he’s leaving because he can’t handle being around Frampt (and then gets promptly shanked by the New Londo ghosts)? I guess it fucks things up if you manage to beat Quelaag first but otherwise you’re just gonna stumble back into Firelink, see the bonfire out, look around to see what the gently caress is up with the snoring, and then Frampt tells you to hike to Sens Funhouse. Or at least that’s what I rememberS

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm probably just being forgetful of how obvious he is. I guess now that I think about it, you'd have to really try to somehow walk up from the New Londo elevator and not have the camera pointed in the general direction of the giant serpent thing. Does he snore before you talk to him for the first time?

(I do still like the unused take for hammering home that the bells are basically just Frampt's alarm clock. :allears:)

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

John Murdoch posted:

I'm probably just being forgetful of how obvious he is. I guess now that I think about it, you'd have to really try to somehow walk up from the New Londo elevator and not have the camera pointed in the general direction of the giant serpent thing. Does he snore before you talk to him for the first time?

(I do still like the unused take for hammering home that the bells are basically just Frampt's alarm clock. :allears:)

There's actually a pop up for Frampt snoring after the first bell is rung. I think it only pops up once the first time you walk to his still-closed space, but it's another hint that something is there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh sure I knew about that, I meant once he's fully awake. I could've sworn he stays at attention for the first encounter and only nods off again if you leave and come back later.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Frampt legit gave me a jump scare the first time I saw him after quickly rounding the corner.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Frampt is just so surreal, just this giant serpent that talks like a sagely RPG NPC but with lots of clicking and then he loses his poo poo when he gets too excited making giant serpent noises. It’s one of those little things along with the one punch mushrooms, Patches and the brain suckers in Bloodborne that burp after going ham on your brain that remind you Fromsoft isn’t taking a lot of their game super seriously.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dancer is toast, I indirectly killed a baby, and I finally beat the tutorial. :woop: Apparently I managed to be in a nice sweet spot because I got summoned for Dancer and Gundyr a good couple times each. Archdragon Peak is all cleaned up (including bumping off Leonhard and detouring for Havel's goodies), just gotta kill the big man before getting back to Lothric Castle.

So am I missing something or are the pus-infected hollows (or whatever they're called) just kinda bullshit? Yes, I know they ill like fire, but that only distracts them long enough for me to get one whole hit in, which doesn't do a whole hell of a lot of damage. Then they go into an invisible cooldown period where fire does gently caress all, which gives them enough time to do one of their patented "flail around and fill the screen with one big hurtbox" attacks. Then once the fire cooldown is over it becomes a coinflip whether or not I can get anywhere near them to give 'em the ole torch again because they like to immediately attack the frame I re-enter their range.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Firebombs are your best tool against those, don't even bother fighting them close-up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you don't wanna use firebombs you can also have a pretty easy time with any fire-infused weapon (or just charcoal pine resin).
I had upgraded the Demon Fists with my spare titanite scales since they looked pretty cool (despite not being very good against stuff that's not fire-weak), so I had a grand ol time fire-punching all the pus enemies to death.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

giZm posted:

Firebombs are your best tool against those, don't even bother fighting them close-up.

Fair, though boy was I irritated when at the very first one up on the High Wall I took the free fire bombs, used them, and then it stopped caring about them and ran up and bit my face off. Great tutorial!

Oh, also I was double extra salty because while fighting the ones in the Garden I managed to get hard stuck between the stairs and a tree and died by default. DS3 feels like it has way more severe geometry problems than the other games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, did I see a post saying that one could resurrect Reah in NG+?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Pus of Men are bullshit garbage, it's not just you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You have to get her to lvl 99 and learn all her limit breaks first

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah but I hope you took the pendant and sacrificed it on the altar on your first run or you haven't got a chance.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You must also give Quelaag's Sister 99 humanity without reloading the area.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'll report back when I've done it! :v:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What are some cool Dex weapons worth trying out? I have been using the sellsword's twinblades all game but maybe I should try out some other weapons for variety. Right now up to Anor Londo / Profaned Capital if that helps.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Crow Quills are very good, they're in Ariandel though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Item Getter posted:

What are some cool Dex weapons worth trying out? I have been using the sellsword's twinblades all game but maybe I should try out some other weapons for variety. Right now up to Anor Londo / Profaned Capital if that helps.

Pontiff Knight Curved Sword's weapon art lets you swing around a giant ice lightsaber just like the the knights it drops from in Irithyll.
For a more unconventional option, the Astora Greatsword is a dex weapon UGS. Give it a try if you ever felt like swinging a big ol' hunk of steel at your enemies and somehow using a sword for lance charges. It'll be a neat change of pace from the normal small and fast dex weapons. Hollowslayer Greatsword is an actual greatsword with good dex scaling too.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hollowslayer Greatsword
The hyperarmor on that thing is nuts, too. Starts super early in the swings.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Item Getter posted:

The Irithyll rapier is more of a quality weapon, but it's a lot of fun poking things to death with frostbite.

Astora Greatsword is good for taking down Midir, but slow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh yeah and on another small note since I got ahold of a giant pile of upgrade materials, I could finally understand what's going on with the Great Club vs. Vordt's Hammer. A +9 club actually has an identical AR to the +5 Hammer. So basically I'm trading off between that last +1 on the club (about like 35~ additional AR) and Warcry vs. frost's potential damage and Perseverance. And realistically, for anything but the smallest fodder enemies, the frost is gonna gently caress things up harder than the raw extra damage on the club.

I clearly said NG+++ and that whole conversation was about how you should figure that poo poo out on your own, you great big cheater!!!!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Murakumo is a fantastic Dex weapon in every Souls game. You'll need decent Str to wield it though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not if you're 2handing, which you probably want to be anyways.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Warcry is fun though. Not particularly practical but fun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I always like to try 2 handing, it's a piece of advice I see a lot from very helpful souls players, especially in front of that portrait of gwynevere where 2 handing your weapon can really help you against the silver knights!

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

axolotl farmer posted:

The Irithyll rapier is more of a quality weapon, but it's a lot of fun poking things to death with frostbite.

Astora Greatsword is good for taking down Midir, but slow.

When people say Quality does it just mean having high scores in both Str and Dex?