Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh interesting. OVDT is by the Gods are Bastards guy.

Gonna throw this on the list even if I checked out of TGAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That's funny because the gods in OVDT are certainly bastards

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
AGAB.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

New TWI Patreon is okay, except the part with Ryoka, which is awesome.(and wow, isn't that a reversal)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pirate's ability to make a character who was previously shown as a xenophobic emotionless mass murderer into someone approaching likeable is frankly incredible. I can't wait until inevitably Tyrion actually is forced to interact peacefully with a goblin due to Wandering Inn shenanigans. It might take a while, but I have no doubt it'll happen at some point.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
More books need a chapter about a kid just loving around with rats

Edit: "Vote Lism for justice and a horrible death!" Give it up homie

Further edit: zevara going apeshit on him rules. Too bad she's a cop, acab

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Only Villains Do That: hell yeah

I gave this a read and so far it's pretty good.

My quibbles are mostly about the character voice. I am not a hardcore weeb, but from my relatively limited exposure to Japanese culture, it seems to me the MC just doesn't sound Japanese at all. The Japanese are, of course, a diverse people that is an infinite rainbow of unique individuals, etc etc etc, but one's culture leaves its mark on a person even if they are ignoring or consciously fighting against its norms, and I just don't see any of it here. It's a very American voice. Even Jason Asano feels more Japanese and he's 99% Australian. I understand why the author decided to make the two MCs Japanese, but I think it would have worked just fine as a story of an American teenage weeb versus a jaded tired millenial.

I also thought the characterization was just overall a bit rough in the first few chapters. I think the MC repeatedly insulting someone who could probably torture him for an eternity to look cool and badass to the readers had the opposite effect on me, especially when he's actually pretty good about keeping his cards close to the chest and telling people what they need to hear in the rest of the story. But, like, whatever, it's no big.

I do enjoy how the story is going so far. It's a cool dynamic and a fun situation to watch the MC maneuver in.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think that identity issue gets brought up later?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I can see what you mean, but at the same time, the MC is a rebellious, artsy Japanese dude who's also lived in the states, so I'd expect him to sound fairly non-typical.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just read the Two Rats interlude of Wandering inn and I definitely did not cry when Lyonette declared that Mrsha is her daughter, my eyes just got sweaty.

Edit it would be great if she would stop doing absolute showstopper chapters and then going back to Laken. gently caress Laken.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 21, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That's the witches arc and it's pretty good and quite important long term

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just read only villains do that and thought it was trite poo poo at first. But I really dig the way ephermal is so alien.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

When the witches arent on screen, Josh should ask, where are the witches

Everything with Riverfarm and Laken specifically though sucks hard and I wish this arc was set somewhere else

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Argue posted:

The arc is good in spite of Laken and Riverfarm though.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Laken himself isn’t even in the Witch arc, right? I think that’s the one while he is traveling home.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Silynt posted:

Laken himself isn’t even in the Witch arc, right? I think that’s the one while he is traveling home.

He keeps popping up, when the Order of Seasons gets involved he panics and tries to get home asap

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm in book 8 of TWI now, and the first part I really enjoyed was the bit with Rabbiteater and the Knights. Mostly because he doesn't seem to know about Erin, so he's not constantly brooding about it. This section isn't badly written or anything, but it is draining.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Katalepsis: a notorious lesbian club

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Katalepsis: a notorious lesbian club

I've accidentally created a new tagline.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Hungry posted:

I've “accidentally” created a new tagline.

You knew.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
Anybody know any non-awful discords or just general chat spaces where web serial authors talk shop about things? The one set up here back when everyone thought the forums were going to die was really helpful to me, but it died after a few months.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PoorWeather posted:

Anybody know any non-awful discords or just general chat spaces where web serial authors talk shop about things? The one set up here back when everyone thought the forums were going to die was really helpful to me, but it died after a few months.

hungry is pretty open to shop talk in her discord

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

PoorWeather posted:

The Silver Pen has a lot of RR authors.
There's a litRPG discord as well.
A lot of popular serials have a bunch of authors hanging out in them.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

A big flaming stink posted:

hungry is pretty open to shop talk in her discord

Thanks, but I feel like it would be sort of tacky to go in a discord for a story I don't read just to potentially talk with the author :v:

Selkie Myth posted:

I don't write a LitRPG, but can you point me towards The Silver Pen? Google doesn't bring up anything useful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I can't believe the latest Wandering Inn. It'll never work! He's way too young for her! And yet

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Beware of chicken 27.3: oh no! Meimei is going to get kidnapped!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Just read and liked 'Demesne' by Shadow Crystal Mage on RR. Kinda like it- it's about an incredibly goony lady wizard and her long-suffering second in command, trying to build a community far from civilization in a extremely lethal environment.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

cultureulterior posted:

Just read and liked 'Demesne' by Shadow Crystal Mage on RR. Kinda like it- it's about an incredibly goony lady wizard and her long-suffering second in command, trying to build a community far from civilization in a extremely lethal environment.

Yep, I've been reading and liking this as well

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

HWFWM: I'm very bad at keeping track of things and I don't understand why Jason needed to kill North. It seemed like they were working towards the same goal.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cicero posted:

HWFWM: I'm very bad at keeping track of things and I don't understand why Jason needed to kill North. It seemed like they were working towards the same goal.

He didn't need to kill him. North is responsible for millions of deaths and Jason is the vigilante delivering justice. The same is true for everyone else in the proto space, Gerling, the squad, the vampires, and the necromancer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It's because the author turned what was originally a funny and fun romp through a world full of magic into a depressing slog of misery.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

cultureulterior posted:

The whole thing around Rian is weird. The chapter where it's revealed that he's an isekai protagonist is apparently an april fools joke, but the rest of the story keep going "but actually he really is".

The story is fun, though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Peachfart posted:

It's because the author turned what was originally a funny and fun romp through a world full of magic into a depressing slog of misery.

i do really hope poo poo gets fun again at the start of vol 3

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peachfart posted:

It was never originally a funny and fun romp, tbh. The name is kind of a giveaway.

I do prefer just fun slice of life isekai, but I guess you just have to read something else for that. Personally, I read a lot of really dumb Chinese webnovels for that.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 27, 2021

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The first 7 chapters of Peculiar Soul were good enough that I've gone back and started to read TMarkos's older stories. I'm about halfway through Inheritors of Eschaton, and it's also a significant cut above most of what's on RR. I don't want to spoil too much except to say this is portal fantasy done right and to look at the bottom note of the chapters for mixed media in-character addendums.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 27, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh hey, inheritors of eschaton was kind of neat and I didn't realise he had another thing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

New Forge of Destiny (Dinner 1), it's funny how badly she's loving it up. How do I dated guy??

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
HOLY poo poo BELAVIERR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

New Forge of Destiny (Dinner 1), it's funny how badly she's loving it up. How do I dated guy??

I’m so down for the story of a damaged cultivator learning to make friends