Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kross would be better if he actually just dressed like mickey from natural born killers instead of wearing a lovely waistcoat and slacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I've got nothing against Kross but to me he represents the exhaustion of the strategy that has sustained NXT for so long. Hiring big name indie guys and putting them in hot feuds with other indie guys works when you have an entire indie ecosystem to pick and choose the talent from, but between gutting the indies and AEW's success the cupboard is now bare.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Alaois posted:

kross would be better if he actually just dressed like mickey from natural born killers instead of wearing a lovely waistcoat and slacks

he should dress like rodney dangerfield from that movie

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think there's good stuff within WWE programming even now, I think it's also hard to deny the WWE/NXT product is objectively in a bad place overall, but mostly I think there's also a sort of meta-aspect of being a WWE viewer and that's your overarching patience. Even for people who like/liked the product there's this inevitable awareness of waste--how much they waste their own talent, how much they waste your time as a viewer, how much they ultimately will make some of the dumbest choices possible. I don't think it's a coincidence that the forum went from "the WWE is pretty bad sometimes" to "gently caress this company" over the same time period that the company entered The Roman Years and began just outright engaging in their most overt bout of antipathy towards their fans ever (this coinciding with Trump and Saudi Arabia also did not help).

If you're not actively on board and happy with the WWE's chosen internal direction for its product it sort of grates away your layers of patience and at a certain point it becomes impossible not to ask yourself why you're still there. And that's the insidious part: Ordinarily, that battery can catch a spark and recharge when they do something sustainedly good, when for whatever reason they decide to get behind a Bryan or an Asuka or a Kofi, but the awareness that the WWE is the way it is compromises the traditional way that gets people to care again. How many people in this forum were super loving jazzed about Kofi just a couple years ago, and how many of those people went 'oh, right, what was I thinking' when the natural end of that was them squashing him like a complete afterthought and forgetting he existed? How do you begin to bring them back?

If you as a viewer no longer have any faith that any of the emotional investments you actually care about will be worth it, why would you watch Natalya, Tamina, Shayna and Nia wrestle each other every week for ten straight weeks?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Seams posted:

I've got nothing against Kross but to me he represents the exhaustion of the strategy that has sustained NXT for so long. Hiring big name indie guys and putting them in hot feuds with other indie guys works when you have an entire indie ecosystem to pick and choose the talent from, but between gutting the indies and AEW's success the cupboard is now bare.

if only they had people they weren't using that they could pair them up with, or even just have random matches against

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It feels real real weird saying this but WWE has forgotten what jobbers are for.

Instead of having your midcard guys stomp no names to build credibility, they stick them in endless 50/50 booking until absolutely no one looks strong.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wwe would require an entire reboot of the management and just like CM Punk said years ago, the gears will keep spinning as long as Vince/Steph/HHH are in power and they employ 40 writers to pigeonhole stuff. It's unfortunate but that's always going to be the case.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok the thing about WWE is they actually do know how to book people and get them over and poo poo. They aren't stupid, this is just how they want their product to be.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Codependent Poster posted:

Also this forum has lost people and is poorer for it. Driving people off isn't cool, unless they're creeps or something.

No we need to get rid of all the people I don't like until it's just me and the few goons who laugh at my jokes

Anyway, NXT seems like a fine 2 hours of wrestling but in a world where AEW's getting a second show and I have a New Japan sub and there's places like NOAH and TJPW that I really want to watch but already don't have time for fine just doesn't cut it. But if people wanna watch and enjoy it then fair enough, I'm sure it's got enough going for it for that. It's not like it's as bad as Raw.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CarlCX posted:

why would you watch Natalya, Tamina, Shayna and Nia wrestle each other every week for ten straight weeks?

it's been twice a week for ten weeks. they do both shows

lol

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
actually carrion cross should be rodney dangerfoeld from back 2 school

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

It feels real real weird saying this but WWE has forgotten what jobbers are for.
I said this years ago but under Brock they had brock then a giant swirling midcard beneath him.

Now that Brock is gone this has actually gotten worse. Even their "dominant" champs just look like losers much of the time.

Admittedly AEW feels too stratified, but there's no "break out performance" or building momentum in WWE. It's all just ... samey.

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok the thing about WWE is they actually do know how to book people and get them over and poo poo. They aren't stupid, this is just how they want their product to be.
So they're doing all these awful vignettes and spending extra money to do them for Aleister Black because this is, what, promoting him wrong as a joke?

They don't. When a company gets it right 15% of the time you need look at how many attempts they're making. And they're making tons and tons of attempts every month.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Killer Kross is a lesser Chuck Palumbo.

Lid fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 27, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh I'm sure some of the poor booking is done because someone in the back thinks it's hilarious. But for the most part I think it's by design everyone basically spins their wheels until it's time for a Kofimania or Bryan having his big heel run.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

There's a reason why Impact made sure to get Mauro to call Omega winning the belt. He's a really great announcer (and actually similar to Excalibur in a lot of ways, tbh) when he doesn't have the WWE machine forcing him to hit their branding every 10 seconds and trying to sand off the edges that make him fun.
Mauro sounds like a parody of an announcer. What makes him a really great announcer?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Faustian Bargain posted:

Mauro sounds like a parody of an announcer. What makes him a really great announcer?

Intimate knowledge of the wrestlers, their work and their moves and also an ability to get all of those things over with energy and confidence.

I don't feel like I have to qualify that by even explaining it because it's so self-evident to me just listening to him, but, whatever. I know he became a parody of himself in NXT. I don't care. Nobody is a good announcer in that company. If Mauro was regularly working somewhere that isn't WWE, he'd easily be in the conversation alongside Kelly and Excalibur for best announcer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I freely admit that there is good stuff in WWE occasionally, but even so digging through a mountain of turds to find a nugget of gold isn't what I would consider a good time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Liquid Communism posted:

Instead of having your midcard guys stomp no names to build credibility, they stick them in endless 50/50 booking until absolutely no one looks strong.

The NXT woman's div has started to use jobbers more over the past couple months and I think it's helped. I can tell you who is where in the pecking order there a lot easier than the rest of the company.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wwe… is good :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hurry up and meet rich evans

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

hurry up and meet rich evans

extremely rude

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I haven't watched WWE programming for quite a while other than clips, so I can't blanket say anything is bad or not without seeing it, but I'm in a pretty good position to give my reasons why watching NXT doesn't interest me right now,

The first (and honestly probably the easiest to fix) is that the clips of it I see don't look visually interesting. Going back a few pages to where clips of the last episode were posted everything looks desaturated, like every colour other than dirty yellow has been washed out. And when the main event is a guy in black trunks wrestling a guy in black trunks the rest of the look needs to draw me in. The venue doesn't help either. Obviously we're making shows during a pandemic so it's not like anyone can book arenas now, but the look is closer to Impact than it is to AEW,

The next is that people feel like they've been there forever. Half of the people on Tuesday's card were wrestling on NXT shows back in 2016 or 2017. Two of them had floated up to the main roster and floated back down again. No disrespect at all to Pete Dunne or Bobby Fish but I don't need to see them tread water against each other. The selling point of NXT as far as I've always understood it is that it's where you see the next generation of WWE stars. People come in, they shine, they move up. Except now it feels like people come in, they shine, they shine a little less bright, they hang around. I know Balor is a special case but his debut for NXT was in 2014. It just doesn't feel like a fresh and interesting brand, and I understood that to be the appeal.

The last is that simply put the clips I've seen of it lately just feel like more WWE. From the camera work to the announcing to the way that stories are told nothing feels refreshingly different. And it used to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Honestly, I think a big part of it is that NXT used to feel cool and it's lost that. A few years ago you had people like badass metal fan Aleister Black, super-stylish Latin heartthrob Andrade, hype party-bros Street Profits, soft butch icon Shayna Baszler and hell, for all he sucks you can't deny Dream's Prince ripoff felt really cool. But it's pretty much lost that and now it's just Karrion Kross doing a Triple H tribute act and Adam Cole doing an HBK tribute act and the entire brand's theme is like a boomer's idea of what was cool 25 years ago and the whole thing just seems really stale and outdated now compared to AEW.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Around the time PAC won the NXT belt off Bo and up until around when Joe vs Nakamura was a thing, NXT felt like can't miss viewing or at the very least Takeovers did. Those are really the last wrestling events I could convince friends to come over for.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nxt died once they brought in Kevin Steen and rushed a best hits of their indy feuds with Sami Zayn. In fact upon reflection Steen killed nxt and wwe (when he gave Vince a concision at age 80 or whatever).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

In fact upon reflection Steen killed nxt and wwe

Pfft and we’re supposed to believe him as a heel

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

Nxt died once they brought in Kevin Steen and rushed a best hits of their indy feuds with Sami Zayn. In fact upon reflection Steen killed nxt and wwe (when he gave Vince a concision at age 80 or whatever).

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a hot take but Steen winning the belt in a bad match and then having an endless boring feud with Balor legit killed my interest in NXT.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Liquid Communism posted:

This is one of the major reasons I fell out of watching NXT. Once Gargano, Ciampa, and then later Cole hit the top they just stayed there. And it's ok to have long term champions, but the guys in the middle weren't kept in fresh programs even with a midcard title introduced.

I don't begrudge anyone who watches NXT and enjoys it because there's a wrestling product for everyone these days and I love that about the current business. Options are great. I just see so many flaws in NXT's booking and presentation that it kinda annoys me a little when I see the insistence that it's about the fact that people know the guys won't matter on Raw/SD or it's about the extra TV hour or whatever. Nothing in NXT is ever booked to have any heat. That's why it's a cold product.

It's like Indi, Dexter, and Grimes are hilarious and then it's a long way down to the next actually entertaining thing.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

MJeff posted:

Intimate knowledge of the wrestlers, their work and their moves and also an ability to get all of those things over with energy and confidence.

I don't feel like I have to qualify that by even explaining it because it's so self-evident to me just listening to him, but, whatever. I know he became a parody of himself in NXT. I don't care. Nobody is a good announcer in that company. If Mauro was regularly working somewhere that isn't WWE, he'd easily be in the conversation alongside Kelly and Excalibur for best announcer.
I’ll give you that he at least sounds like he knows his stuff and is passionate. To me the way he talks and emphasizes certain things does sound like someone doing an over the top announcer impression and it’s distracting. This isn’t just wwe, I watched bellator last weekend and he was commentating.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a hot take but Steen winning the belt in a bad match and then having an endless boring feud with Balor legit killed my interest in NXT.

That is my legit personal opinion, Bailey and Sasha kept me watching past that but once their feud ended I stopped watching the tv.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

MJeff posted:

I want to see the reaction a time traveler from 2005 would have that people are talking about Mauro and Kevin Kelly as good announcers

Back in Pride, the fans regarded Mauro about as highly as Michael Schiavello. Good on them for improving, if true

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kevin kelly is not a good announcer, what the hell. He's probably the best that NJPW's english team has had tho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He's good at bringing out the stories and has great chemistry with all his colour guys no matter the combo. Excalibur's the better announcer but he works way worse with JR and Tony than Kevin does with Gino/Rocky/Chris

(Ex/Taz is of course the best announce desk around though)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

He's good at bringing out the stories and has great chemistry with all his colour guys no matter the combo. Excalibur's the better announcer but he works way worse with JR and Tony than Kevin does with Gino/Rocky/Chris

(Ex/Taz is of course the best announce desk around though)

counterpoint: DESTINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and he kicked out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kinda hope JR gets replaced by Callis soon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dimebags Brain posted:

I remember very much not liking either of those Owens/Zayn matches and finding myself in the hot take camp for it. I didn't bow out of weekly NXT til Roode though. By then the women's division and men's division were too weak to hold me.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wait did they promote Eva Marie returning and then not show her again for a month?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda hope JR gets replaced by Callis soon.

Callis's heel shtick is really grating over the course of a whole show so please no

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Three man booth: Excalibur, Jericho and Callis. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seams posted:

Three man booth: Excalibur, Jericho and Callis. :twisted:

Sounds great tbh