Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vengarr posted:

Just realized that petrification is going to make space travel ten times easier. No need for all that “Life Support” crap.

Also, with big-titty androids to steer the ships, space colonization is the clear answer to overpopulation caused by good ol’ Dr Stone.

Well yep, you don't have to worry about a lot when you can turn everyone into stone, pack em tight, and set it to revive when at the destination, don't matter if you don't have ftl, time is no longer an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
The moon's gonna be full of a bunch of rear end in a top hat Japanese myth people like Naruto, isn't it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So what happened to the bullets everyone had in them?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Darth TNT posted:

So what happened to the bullets everyone had in them?

The bullets more than likely passed right through them, at as close of range they were being shot at the bullets probably had too much momentum to be lodged in the wounds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

logger posted:

The bullets more than likely passed right through them, at as close of range they were being shot at the bullets probably had too much momentum to be lodged in the wounds.

They also seemed to be high caliber.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I mean the process is a little high energy itself, it might shoot the bullets back out of the body.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Still wonder what happened to the chunks that got blown out of them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hyperscience
Aint gotta explain it

I guess im right in thinking that the medusa is going to be the one thing that wouldnt be based on real science, but if id have to guess they will reference cryptobiosis, but that stops all biological processes, including tissue repair.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Just realized that petrification is going to make space travel ten times easier. No need for all that “Life Support” crap.

Also, with big-titty androids to steer the ships, space colonization is the clear answer to overpopulation caused by good ol’ Dr Stone.
Whoa gently caress that's a legit actual reason for the petrification device to exist and function the way it does :stare:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=198. Whole New World
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009396
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-198/chapter/22588?action=read

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what would leveling the rocket engine and materials to Lv. 99 even entail?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what would leveling the rocket engine and materials to Lv. 99 even entail?

Chapters upon chapters of exploding engines.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Time to delve into energetics.
Also Time to condense 3 centuries of global industrialization and technology into at least a decade. The hardest bit of all this is going to be the manufacturing of the materials needed. Metallurgy at scale is a motherfucker to deal with. High energy chemistry at scale is a motherfucker to deal with. Near every step on this is going to be a huge ordeal.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Now that everybody is on the same side again I wonder if we'll get a time skip like when they built the ship to cross the ocean.

As for the gunshot wounds, we've seen that when someone is petrified they become solid stone all the way through. Which makes it seem like being turned to stone doesn't actually preserve the state of your internal organs and instead just kind of resets things. So unless you actually had something sticking into the wound when turned to stone you're probably fine and would end up with just a surface injury when revived.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Time to delve into energetics.
Also Time to condense 3 centuries of global industrialization and technology into at least a decade. The hardest bit of all this is going to be the manufacturing of the materials needed. Metallurgy at scale is a motherfucker to deal with. High energy chemistry at scale is a motherfucker to deal with. Near every step on this is going to be a huge ordeal.

At least it'll be cool getting back to a science/technology-focused arc after what's felt like 2 or 3 consecutive arcs of combat/escape.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Chapters upon chapters of exploding engines.

A plaque dedicated to all the Ginros lost in the name of science.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It seems like narratively this will be the penultimate arc, can't see it going on much longer after the showdown on the moon.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It should still be a long time to get to the Moon, certainly in the time passing in the manga if not the number of actual chapters. I don't know how the hell you could extend things after Why-Man/whatever's up on the Moon is dealt with, though trying to solve the general society problems that "we can heal all wounds/diseases and bring back the dead with Dr. Stone" introduces would very much be my jam, though I think I'm in the minority on that.

There's also still SO MANY people to revive on the planet, so I have to think that reverse-medusa tech that de-stones everyone in a wide (potentially planet-wide) radius will be a thing, but then again if you just hit that button and apply that worldwide I have to imagine it'll cause way more chaos and problems than if you do it one nation or region at a time. Senku cruising around doing that bit-by-bit seems like the logical conclusion to the manga, whether it leaves off showing us the end result after he's freed everyone or with him setting off on that journey/showing where he's at after a time-skip and in the middle of it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

There's also still SO MANY people to revive on the planet, so I have to think that reverse-medusa tech that de-stones everyone in a wide (potentially planet-wide) radius will be a thing, but then again if you just hit that button and apply that worldwide I have to imagine it'll cause way more chaos and problems than if you do it one nation or region at a time.

An anti-petrification ray for any wide area is a bad thing for people being stuck in landslides, under water, grown over, in pieces or unable to get shelter and food. So basically everyone.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It seems like it would take hundreds of years to locate and de-stone everyone who can be safely de-stoned.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Good thing longevity isn't an issue anymore.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And also the myriad people lost to time, through simple erosion, collapse of human structures upon them and natural disasters.
Theres going to be a lot less people around for sure.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Senku saying he's going to revive everyone is one of those many Dr. Stone statements that comes with an asterisk, like Tsukasa being an invincible warrior, and the idea of anyone being cuter than Kohaku

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

We're definitely going to find the ultimate civil engineer who will paper over a lot of the time & effort in locating everyone and rebuilding.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a lot of stuff they're gonna have to asspull or paper over to avoid addressing that there's definitely millions of people who are categorically just dead dead. Anyone in an airplane when the wave hit. Anyone who was in any precarious environment (high-rises, environments that would destroy their statues without human maintenance, on boats). Anyone whose statue was destroyed by random chance, etc.

Any boiling-water nuclear reactor which probably would've melted down after a while. All stockpiles of nuclear material/waste. Every coal ash pond. Every place on earth that stored hypergolic chemicals. All the nuclear missile silos on earth would need re-secured even if they collapsed.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
Depending on how canon the spinoff is, a huge chunk of the European population is just dead after that meteor impact over Rome.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Fabricated posted:

Any boiling-water nuclear reactor which probably would've melted down after a while. All stockpiles of nuclear material/waste. Every coal ash pond. Every place on earth that stored hypergolic chemicals. All the nuclear missile silos on earth would need re-secured even if they collapsed.

This is actually possibly terrifying. Unless they can find and revive people who personally know of all the active nuke locations pre-wave (no one person would know all of them, there are tens of thousands world-wide) then the new civilization will be build on a bunch of potential nuclear land mines :gonk:

All of the pre-wave nukes have PROBABLY decayed to the point of being inactive, but that's a very high-risk "probably" to be working with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On the plus side
Enough fissile material to run a reactor for how ever long they want.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LanceKing2200 posted:

This is actually possibly terrifying. Unless they can find and revive people who personally know of all the active nuke locations pre-wave (no one person would know all of them, there are tens of thousands world-wide) then the new civilization will be build on a bunch of potential nuclear land mines :gonk:

All of the pre-wave nukes have PROBABLY decayed to the point of being inactive, but that's a very high-risk "probably" to be working with.
I can't recall the half life of most of the material used in most reactors and weapons, but I want to say the high-grade stuff used for nuclear weapons would still be quite radioactive at this point.

I can't remember for post-Chernobyl boiling water reactors, but believe it or not Chernobyl would still be uninhabitable. From about now, it'll take Chernobyl something like 15,000-20,000 years to become fully inert/safe. Anyone who was at or near the largest sites for storing hypergolic chemicals would probably be dust when the containers failed and stuff started going up. Also any place that stored significant amounts of fertilizer, like in Beirut. We're talking absolutely colossal explosions comparable to small scale nuclear weapons that would be inevitable if nobody took care of the storage sites in places where it could get hot+dry enough or was in proximity to other chemicals whose containment would fail.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 1, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wonder if petrification can cure/treat DNA damage. I guess it depends on where it's drawing the template that it restores the body to from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so, how long since death does petrification work? what state does the corpse need to be in? i'm looking forward to some mad science.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so, how long since death does petrification work? what state does the corpse need to be in? i'm looking forward to some mad science.

Time for a lot of dead sparrow bits n pieces.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LanceKing2200 posted:

Nuclear missiles are the least of your worries, they won't go critical from just sitting there. You'd have to somehow accidentally arm it for them to pop off.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Nuclear Semiotics is the science of how to warn people in the Dr Stone universe where all the nuclear waste is stored.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vengarr posted:

Nuclear Semiotics is the science of how to warn people in the Dr Stone universe where all the nuclear waste is stored.

Now this excites me...!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I cant recall which one it was but in one of the World of Darkness threads over in Trad Games, Loomer made a pretty good couple of effort posts regarding what the fallout would be of a Dr Stone esque apocalypse scenario. In that case it was "what if everyone on earth fell asleep, forever, at once?" but it's fairly comparible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I cant recall which one it was but in one of the World of Darkness threads over in Trad Games, Loomer made a pretty good couple of effort posts regarding what the fallout would be of a Dr Stone esque apocalypse scenario. In that case it was "what if everyone on earth fell asleep, forever, at once?" but it's fairly comparible.

I've been kind of wondering about this since the series started.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lurking Haro posted:

An anti-petrification ray for any wide area is a bad thing for people being stuck in landslides, under water, grown over, in pieces or unable to get shelter and food. So basically everyone.

True, but I"m just boggling at the logistics of finding billions of people, digging them out into a safe place, and then pouring a fairly hard to make chemical on them one at a time.

Oh hey, another cool Dr. Stone use would be to enable long-distance space voyages to other solar systems. I wouldn't be surprised if a medusa hack was involved in getting them safely to the moon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair you have all the time in the world to do so. It'd be basically one of humanity's ongoing projects. You'd never know when you were done- unless somehow they add a super science bullshit way to detect petrified people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NowonSA posted:

a fairly hard to make chemical

World production of Nitric Acid is at about 60 million tonnes per year of which 80% of it is used in the production of fertilizers. It's one of the most produced chemicals in the world next to Sulfuric Acid (which is also used primarily for fertilizers) so if any kind of mass production of chemicals is going to be a thing it's not going to be a problem to make enough of it to depetrify the world.