Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

lezard_valeth posted:

Yes but even if house Mormont kids are little shits that doesn't mean the adults around them will sit around and take it. Back in s1 when Greatjon Umber was offended by Robb he was taking none of that poo poo and was even ready to square up till Greywind bit his fingers off. Northman being stubborn and not taking poo poo from anyone is one of the few consistent things throughout the seasons, except when confronted by anime children.

You're upset that the child of a Northern noble house acted... the same as your example of how Northern nobles are? If Robb had been there instead of Jon and Sansa he probably would have sat her rear end down just like he did Greatjon, but he wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

she doesn't really seem as upset about it as people here are hoping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwq6_itZq3c

I mean at the end of this video she even advises other actors facing similar scenarios to just "push yourself/be uncomfortable" lol

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

We've all gotten bruises from being literally tortured for hours at work and had panic attacks later from seeing water on TV that we had to get therapy for. That's just modern work culture. Everyone knows you just have to grin and bear it; you can't be "difficult to work with" or you'll inconvenience people and that'll be it for your career.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t believe I was hoping that she was traumatized forever.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

This stuff goes back to the filming of the baby being turned into a White Walker which took so long to film because they couldn't understand why the baby's mother would object to them laying the baby straight on the ice without padding or insulation.

I don't know why anyone is still surprised.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It... it was an actual piece of ice and not a prop/green table CG'd into ice later??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheKirbs posted:

This stuff goes back to the filming of the baby being turned into a White Walker which took so long to film because they couldn't understand why the baby's mother would object to them laying the baby straight on the ice without padding or insulation.

I don't know why anyone is still surprised.

Macaluso posted:

It... it was an actual piece of ice and not a prop/green table CG'd into ice later??

Oh yes

quote:

Confirming it was real, David then explained: ‘It was real ice because fake ice in close-ups just never looks real.’

As the audience bizarrely laughed, he continued: ‘So the altar was actually a hard block of ice and we put a baby on top of this block of ice. A real baby.'

‘This baby is lying there like “what the f***?” Then a monster, deformed, walks up and puts his clawed finger on this poor baby’s face and the baby starts screaming. I’m like “we’re f***ing traumatising this poor kid”.’

Dan added: ‘It was not our proudest moment.’

Also, they wouldn't stop talking about getting the baby's penis in the shot (because how else will the audience understand that its male! because Crastor keeps his daughters! And we've only said that 10 times!) and the mother got extremely uncomfortable about how they were going on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The same show that reserved half it's budget for CGI dragons every season couldn't have done some digital touchups to make ice look realistic? I'm no baby expert but I'm fairly sure leaving a baby on a block of solid ice could seriously damage said baby.

And in that clip she's telling it like it's just another crazy work story but I don't think that makes what happened any less horrifying, especially when you consider the aftereffects. If she's fine now that's great but Jesus Christ she deserves compensation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

stev posted:

The same show that reserved half it's budget for CGI dragons every season couldn't have done some digital touchups to make ice look realistic? I'm no baby expert but I'm fairly sure leaving a baby on a block of solid ice could seriously damage said baby.

And in that clip she's telling it like it's just another crazy work story but I don't think that makes what happened any less horrifying, especially when you consider the aftereffects. If she's fine now that's great but Jesus Christ she deserves compensation.

Much like the baby, she was compensated in exposure.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wonder whatever happened to the white walker baby. Is it just crawling around alone in the land of always winter?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wonder whatever happened to the white walker baby. Is it just crawling around alone in the land of always winter?

The Night's King kind of forgot about the baby.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TOOT BOOT posted:

When Arya killed the Night's King it made the white walker baby explode also, so she's a baby murderer.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The white walkers ended up like such trash

I was so god damned interested in seeing these ancient necromantic weirdos back when they were just a mystery but then it turns out the king is just "some guy" who got stabbed with a ... a crystal or whatever? By some forest elf twinks? That we also never learn about and who get wiped out in 1 episode.

And every other white walker is just some hivemind drone who instantly dies when the king dies and it all just sucked

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So they nearly froze a baby for a shot that had no story impact whatsoever.

And they tortured a woman for 10 hours for a shot they ended up not using.

Cool, cool. Top quality showrunners these.

Zaphod42 posted:

When Arya killed the Night's King it made the white walker baby explode also, so she's a baby murderer.

Arya ended the Frey line. There were so many Freys that statistically it's unlikely none of them had a baby at the time of Arya's murder spree. So she already was one, it was just glossed over.

Also, the wall was supposedly built to keep out the Night King right? (rather than the Wildlings). So uhhh given what we know, would it really have been easier to build an impossibly large wall than just stab a dude who, as we have seen, is imminently stabable?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 26, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

So they nearly froze a baby for a shot that had no story impact whatsoever.

Cool, cool. Top quality showrunners these.

The more I hear about those two dipshits the more it makes sense that they went from producing Game of Thrones to Leslie Jones standup comedy specials for Netflix. No one in Hollywood wants to work with them anymore on anything and for drat good reason it turns out--they literally tortured actors and extras.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Also, the wall was supposedly built to keep out the Night King right? (rather than the Wildlings). So uhhh given what we know, would it really have been easier to build an impossibly large wall than just stab a dude who, as we have seen, is imminently stabable?

Allegedly, yeah. But Green Seer/Warg magic seems to be blocked by it, which suggests its somehow anathema to the Children of the Forest, while White Walker magic goes through it perfectly fine, which makes me think that the Walkers are the ones who built it. Plus there's the obvious logical flaw of "lets use poo poo loads of ice to keep out the ice monsters"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember super in-depth theory crafting like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_ZAGCfMY0

Lmao. Maybe if GRRM lives another 20 years and releases the 3 more books that will be required to actually finish the story they’ll be some of this in there but I doubt it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember super in-depth theory crafting like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_ZAGCfMY0

Lmao. Maybe if GRRM lives another 20 years and releases the 3 more books that will be required to actually finish the story they’ll be some of this in there but I doubt it.

Nah, that's being silly. GRRM has already fleshed out the others far far more than the show ever did, heck just the name "white walkers" was stupid Walking Dead nonsense. The book even in the early days sets them up with more exposition than the show does.

The "night king" doesn't even exist in the books because that's dumb and overly simplistic. So the idea of "beat the big boss and everybody dies" doesn't even make sense in that world.

Don't let D&D being stupid as gently caress apply to the books; they didn't write the books. Have you read them?

That said, no, GRRM will never finish the books, so it doesn't really matter. But I 100% promise you it wouldn't be anything even remotely close to what the show did with them, literally every word he's written about the others is different and far more interesting than the poo poo the show came up with.

Also I love this logic from D&D

quote:

In the audio commentary for "Winter Is Coming", producers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss explained that the change was made to avoid confusion that may arise between references to the race known as the Others and "others" meaning other groups or people within the show. Additionally, George R. R. Martin has stated that the change was decided upon early in the development process to avoid confusion with the Others from ABC's show Lost, the mysterious inhabitants of the island on which that show mostly takes place.[33]

Yeah, no way could anybody understand that when someone says "THE OTHERS" they're talking about ice zombies and not just referring to other people in the scene. Totally. And since Lost ended in 2010 and Game of Thrones started in 2011, naming them "White Walkers" When The Walking Dead was at its height of popularity is straight stupid. Nobody cared about Lost at that point. I feel like this is an excuse and they intentionally riffed on Walking Dead which is dumb.

Also having "White Walkers" and "Wights" in the same world is just confusing. "Wights" vs "Others" is very simple.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 26, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I have zero doubt that GRRM has intentions to develop every one of his plot points far better then D&D did but I’m not convinced at all that the general brush strokes won’t be the same. Dany will torch Kings Landing, Bran will be king, the Others will ultimately end up being a mysterious evil force that is defeated in a big battle though not by Arya killing the big boss, etc. Yes I know GRRM said in like 2004 that the series won’t have a standard good vs evil ending etc but frankly GRRM is a liar and who the hell knows what he wants considering he knowingly doesn’t plan things out besides a few bullet points.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I love this logic from D&D
Yeah, no way could anybody understand that when someone says "THE OTHERS" they're talking about ice zombies and not just referring to other people in the scene. Totally. And since Lost ended in 2010 and Game of Thrones started in 2011, naming them "White Walkers" When The Walking Dead was at its height of popularity is straight stupid. Nobody cared about Lost at that point. I feel like this is an excuse and they intentionally riffed on Walking Dead which is dumb.

Also having "White Walkers" and "Wights" in the same world is just confusing. "Wights" vs "Others" is very simple.

To be fair the first time I picked up AGoT my first thought upon reading about the Others was 'lol just like Lost'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have zero doubt that GRRM has intentions to develop every one of his plot points far better then D&D did but I’m not convinced at all that the general brush strokes won’t be the same. Dany will torch Kings Landing, Bran will be king, the Others will ultimately end up being a mysterious evil force that is defeated in a big battle though not by Arya killing the big boss, etc. Yes I know GRRM said in like 2004 that the series won’t have a standard good vs evil ending etc but frankly GRRM is a liar and who the hell knows what he wants considering he knowingly doesn’t plan things out besides a few bullet points.

They will be the same, that's part of why D&D's ending is so extremely bad. They got some notes from GRRM that didn't fit into their world and they didn't know how to fit it into their world. Writing a totally fresh ending may have worked much better for the show, but they can't write.

In ASOIAF those same plot beats will have entirely different buildup and justification. "Dany will torch king's landing" will happen, except Dany will be a completely different person than show Dany, the circumstances will be completely different, we'll have fake-aegon and a bunch of other poo poo which will make it actually make loving sense instead of feeling like a total asspull.

But as you yourself said, Arya won't even kill the big bad, so things will be dramatically different than how the show ended.

Like, they're only similar in the most superficial of ways, basically everything is completely different.

Imagine if I wrote my own Empire Strikes Back only Luke is losing in his battle against Vader until an Ewok Jedi shows up and saves him, then Luke kills Vader and the Death Star blows up.
Look, the same major plot beats happened!

Yeah but how you get there really matters. Its what a story is.

stev posted:

To be fair the first time I picked up AGoT my first thought upon reading about the Others was 'lol just like Lost'.

lol, alright

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The showrunners view Arya genociding the Freys and brutally murdering Meryn Trant as unambiguous good deeds, so insofar as it would even occur to them that she has to murder babies to end the Frey line, she probably would just let them lie and allow the Twins to become a women's commune or whatever it is now that every adult male is dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never liked the Others/White Walkers and an actual unstoppable winter would've been more interesting to me because it hammers home even stronger how petty all this squabbling is in the long run.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Orange Devil posted:

IIRC the prevalent theory was that the hero figure who ended the long night did so by brokering a truce between men, the children, and the WW. The WW went back into the north, the various groups helped raise the wall, and the night's watch were tasked with keeping men out of the north. Except they failed at that, forgot their mission, and wildlings populated the place to an extent that when the WW woke up they rightfully believed that men had broken the truce and started doing their thing. I'm also inclined to believe that the WW were pissed about Children being in the North and helping someone like Bloodraven do whatever the hell he is doing.

For a while I thought they would do something with this in the show - that the WW are armored in a way that seems extremely similar of the Night's Watch was too significant to not be something. If the Night's Watch is essentially a conscript offshoot influenced by the WW then it makes sense they'd also be in all black. There's also a lot of little stuff that could shape how the confrontation goes down. Maybe three night king wasn't always stabbable. Maybe that was the result of his link with Bran, in which case it makes sense that he'd try to eliminate that weakness ASAP.

But of course they didn't, and the old man is never going to finish it so oh well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The showrunners view Arya genociding the Freys and brutally murdering Meryn Trant as unambiguous good deeds, so insofar as it would even occur to them that she has to murder babies to end the Frey line, she probably would just let them lie and allow the Twins to become a women's commune or whatever it is now that every adult male is dead.

Doing horrible things to your enemies yet letting them live will have no unforseen negative consequences at some unexpected time in the future I'm sure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I much prefer the books' ironic punishment of having Walder Frey manage to outlive the entire rest of his family.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

IIRC the prevalent theory was that the hero figure who ended the long night did so by brokering a truce between men, the children, and the WW. The WW went back into the north, the various groups helped raise the wall, and the night's watch were tasked with keeping men out of the north. Except they failed at that, forgot their mission, and wildlings populated the place to an extent that when the WW woke up they rightfully believed that men had broken the truce and started doing their thing. I'm also inclined to believe that the WW were pissed about Children being in the North and helping someone like Bloodraven do whatever the hell he is doing.

For a while I thought they would do something with this in the show - that the WW are armored in a way that seems extremely similar of the Night's Watch was too significant to not be something. If the Night's Watch is essentially a conscript offshoot influenced by the WW then it makes sense they'd also be in all black. There's also a lot of little stuff that could shape how the confrontation goes down. Maybe three night king wasn't always stabbable. Maybe that was the result of his link with Bran, in which case it makes sense that he'd try to eliminate that weakness ASAP.

But of course they didn't, and the old man is never going to finish it so oh well.

The book's Night's King isn't a WW at all but a Night's Watch commander from a long time ago.

So the ww having nw armor could be since they pulled that concept for their ww leader (with or without meaning the implications, since they never explored it any)

Heck GRRM could be planning on bringing the night's king back as an other but IDK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The showrunners view Arya genociding the Freys and brutally murdering Meryn Trant as unambiguous good deeds

True. Because they have no concept of morality or themes beyond "good guys, bad guys"

A good guy is good even if you murder innocents. Unless you're named Targaryen then you're a secret bad guy actually.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

“Themes are for 8th grade book reports.”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Lost ended in 2010 and Game of Thrones started in 2011

What the gently caress

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I really like how the further east you go, you end up with pretty much the exact same Long Night legend, complete with notNight's King and notWall

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I really like how the further east you go, you end up with pretty much the exact same Long Night legend, complete with notNight's King and notWall

That’s pretty interesting but then you remember that that big World of Ice and Fire lore book which has these details wasn’t all written by GRRM but instead was written by his two sycophant super fans who gatekeep his lore like some bizarro Chris Tolkien where they just write poo poo up themselves and GRRM just grunts and signs off on it and now it’s canon. So who knows if he even is aware of not-China in the Far East.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

well they do use some of it at least lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few0Obe2qKk

if it makes you feel better she probably was not literally strapped to the table for the full 10 hours

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It could have been worst. I heard one of the other nuns went missing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

romanowski posted:

well they do use some of it at least lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few0Obe2qKk

if it makes you feel better she probably was not literally strapped to the table for the full 10 hours

None of this should make anyone feel any better.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

None of this should make anyone feel any better.

Wow look at this bleeding heart lib who says just because she was tortured we should feel bad. That's Hollywood, don't like it...you can giiiiiit out.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Captain Splendid posted:

Excepting further east their Long Night story of a man killing a woman is of the Bloodstone Emperor murdering his elder sister the Amethyst Empress and usurping her throne, an act of kinslaying and evil so horrid the gods turned their backs on mankind and let the Lion-of-Night run wild.

Until the hero Azor Ahai, who forged his sword Lightbringer by murdering his wife, led the forces of the living against the Others.

The thing is, this is a settting where families practicing dynastic incest and marrying brother to sister is not uncommon. So how possible is it that these two events, these two men murdering women stories, both of which are told in relation to the first Long Night, are the same story? That Azor Ahai was the Bloodstone Emperor, consort to his elder sister and wife, Nissa Nissa the Amethyst Empress, and in an attempt to prevent the darkness he knew was coming, murdered his sister and wife and Empress, the woman he loved, in an attempt to prevent it?

And that it was a terrible, horrific mistake that caused the Long Night? And yet it also gave mankind the tools they need to win the War for the Dawn? That Azor Ahai, in repentance for the calamity he started in trying to prevent it, spent the rest of his life trying to undo his mistake?

A hero is the villain of someone else's story, after all.

If I'm right about Jon and Dany being brother and sister, him killing her has parallels with this. Azor Ahai is remembered as the hero who threw back the Long Night when in reality he's also the man who caused it.

It does always amuse me that everyone goes on about how 'heroic' and 'necessary' it is for a man to kill his wife, his love, to forge a sword that can end the darkness. I'm just sitting over here saying, 1) it's a very toxic mindset to regard murdering your wife- who is a person with hopes, dreams, love (for you)- as 'heroic' in any way. Your wife may be the thing you love the most, but she's also a person. She's not a plot coupon to be cashed in. And if GRRM has this as a story where human sacrifice is portrayed positively... GRRM is a hosed up author.

And 2) hahaha you loving idiots true heroes don't sacrifice others, they sacrifice themselves. And AA killing NN isn't sacrifice- it's murder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dispatching the Freys in a single scene is one of the show's biggest gently caress ups. Shoulda been a multi season plot.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dispatching the Freys in a single scene is one of the show's biggest gently caress ups. Shoulda been a multi season plot.

And they barely mention it after it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Everyone just kind of forgot about the Freys.