Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Fame Douglas posted:

Sorry, didn't realize I'm only allowed to post an opinion on yet another huge truck that conforms to yours. Seems like most Americans need to haul lumber and steel constantly, and require pickup trucks to do this! I wonder how the rest of the world manages.

I'm pretty sure negative opinions are tolerated, It's probably the whole posting the same thing 30 minutes apart since nobody engaged you the first time you posted it thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ola posted:

Not as high tech as the UK one featured on Fully Charged a while back, but this charging station seems really cool. Vacuum cleaner is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TVohXHjLro

People already spend plenty of money on hot dogs and candy bars while getting gas, they'll spend more when they have 20-30 minutes to kill. Which I think many people and this(these) threads have been saying for years.

yessss. This is what I would spend my powerball money on, were I to win.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Combination charging station/rub and tug.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fame Douglas posted:

Sorry, didn't realize I'm only allowed to post an opinion on yet another huge truck that conforms to yours. Seems like most Americans need to haul lumber and steel constantly, and require pickup trucks to do this! I wonder how the rest of the world manages.

the European equivalent of a cheap-rear end fleet vehicle optioned Silverado is a van, like a Mercedes Sprinter or a Ford Transit. they come in any color as long as they are white, and they all have a 2.something liter diesel that is completely unremarkable in every way. for contractors, gardeners, plumbers, electricians, job sites, etc. mostly full of tools. you couldn't drive the bigger American pickups on a normal license here anyway (too heavy, over 3.5 metric tons loaded) and if you have a truck license you might as well get an actual truck.

yes I know the question was rhetorical. can I have fries with that please?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 27, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ola posted:

Which I think many people and this(these) threads have been saying for years.
Build a Starbucks into one and have it open into a Gastropub/arcade and watch the money roll in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

2nd floor subscription-based lounge with TV, couches, tables, separate bathrooms.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheFluff posted:

the European equivalent of a cheap-rear end fleet vehicle optioned Silverado is a van, like a Mercedes Sprinter or a Ford Transit. they come in any color as long as they are white, and they all have a 2.something liter diesel that is completely unremarkable in every way. for contractors, gardeners, plumbers, electricians, job sites, etc. mostly full of tools. you couldn't drive the bigger American pickups on a normal license here anyway (too heavy, over 3.5 metric tons loaded) and if you have a truck license you might as well get an actual truck.

yes I know the question was rhetorical. can I have fries with that please?

How much of this is related to styles, your mentioned license requirements, or "acceptability"? Like in Asia, you would rarely see the big trucks or the vans, but instead you have little kei or key-style trucks. Every region has their "acceptable" style of worker automobile.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Build a Starbucks into one and have it open into a Gastropub/arcade and watch the money roll in.

There are a couple superchargers near Starbucks stores, and we're always pretty happy to find ourselves at one of those on a road trip.

The one in Flagstaff is at a hotel, and the hotel decided to turn their lobby into a little coffee shop bistro, and by gum if that isn't our favorite stop on the way to California.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GoutPatrol posted:

Like in Asia, you would rarely see the big trucks or the vans, but instead you have little kei or key-style trucks

By 'Asia' do you mean 'Japan'?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Japan, HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, yes.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
In India and Nepal I saw a lot of tuk tuks and small cars and a lot of big trucks and buses, very little in between.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

mobby_6kl posted:

So that whoever you captured in your frunk can suck you off, duh

Lost posts from the star citizen forums

For real tho I love that frunk. One of the Ford promo shots had someone washing it down with a hose.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Like this

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

bad_fmr posted:

Like this

Pretty much. We have renovated two houses from the ground up so have been hauling a fair amount of trash and materials. Most people here rent a trailer (there's even a free trailer rental option in most of Sweden, you just have to drive around with some advertising on it), but we ended up buying one since we needed it often. Cost around 12k SEK (1500USD?) for one that'll handle stuff up to 265x135cm. Just keep it parked by the shed and hook it up whenever needed. (EV content: we use a Passat GTE to tow it since my electric (e-Niro) doesn't have a tow hook.)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RE: Tesla removing radar, this article makes me think it has to supply related:

https://www.ft.com/content/49459668-7eab-4589-8338-059e06b9fd8a

It may be behind a paywall but this is the most important part:

Their supplier issues are well known, so I can see a supplier requiring payment up front while prioritizing customers who aren't a pain in the rear end.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

How much of this is related to styles, your mentioned license requirements, or "acceptability"? Like in Asia, you would rarely see the big trucks or the vans, but instead you have little kei or key-style trucks. Every region has their "acceptable" style of worker automobile.

I can't imagine most pickup trucks are worker vehicles in the US. The F-trucks, Rams and Silverados are the most popular vehicles in an overwhelming amount of states. People seem to buy pickup trucks for their looks, mostly.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 27, 2021

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Pretty much. We have renovated two houses from the ground up so have been hauling a fair amount of trash and materials. Most people here rent a trailer (there's even a free trailer rental option in most of Sweden, you just have to drive around with some advertising on it), but we ended up buying one since we needed it often. Cost around 12k SEK (1500USD?) for one that'll handle stuff up to 265x135cm. Just keep it parked by the shed and hook it up whenever needed. (EV content: we use a Passat GTE to tow it since my electric (e-Niro) doesn't have a tow hook.)

Yeah I also bought mine just for convenience even though they are really cheap to rent. And if I need to haul so much that I cannot do it in my trailer I can always just rent a van. Also available as electric versions.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Quote is not edit

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GoutPatrol posted:

Japan, HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, yes.

Thailand and Malaysia don't have Kei cars, it's all 'normal' sized vans like the HiAce. Cambodia and Laos use lot of SsangYong/Mercedes which are a little larger and Kias which are roughly HiAce sized.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine most pickup trucks are worker vehicles in the US. The F-trucks, Rams and Silverados are the most popular vehicles in an overwhelming amount of states. People seem to buy pickup trucks for their looks, mostly.

They buy them because there’s little reason not to. They aren’t really any more expensive than a comparable sedan or SUV once you factor in the fact there are always incentives stacked on them. Gas is cheap, American roads and suburbs and parking lots are mostly built to handle larger vehicles, there’s no additional tax or licensing requirements, insurance isn’t really any more expensive....the only real downside is they take up a lot of space and America has shitloads of space. They’re “do anything” vehicles and even if they will never do truck things it’s just nice to know that they *could*.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Wow I never thought I would see a statistics map that is flattering to Florida.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GoutPatrol posted:

In Europe I'm pretty sure a lot of this is driven by regulatory controls. You know how European big rigs are stub-nosed with no hood at all, like the entire front of the tractor is just vertical? That's because there are EU-wide restrictions on overall vehicle lengths, so they design the tractors to get the most cargo space in the available length. The attractiveness of a pickup is that it's a do-everything vehicle that you don't need a commercial license for, but in Europe you do need a special license and gas prices are much higher, so you don't want to drive around in something with a comically huge engine all the time either. Restrictions on what you can tow are much stricter too.

I'm also pretty sure sedans and coupes sell a lot worse here than in the US, while hatchbacks and wagons are correspondingly more attractive - people do want that trunk space, especially if the family only has one car.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 27, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dissss posted:

Thailand and Malaysia don't have Kei cars, it's all 'normal' sized vans like the HiAce. Cambodia and Laos use lot of SsangYong/Mercedes which are a little larger and Kias which are roughly HiAce sized.

I said "kei-like" because things like the Hijet and Suzuki Carry make non kei versions that are just little bit bigger.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Big-rigs are stub nosed because that makes navigating smaller streets much easier.

And you don't need a truck license for something like a F150 at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They buy them because there’s little reason not to. They aren’t really any more expensive than a comparable sedan or SUV once you factor in the fact there are always incentives stacked on them. Gas is cheap, American roads and suburbs and parking lots are mostly built to handle larger vehicles, there’s no additional tax or licensing requirements, insurance isn’t really any more expensive....the only real downside is they take up a lot of space and America has shitloads of space. They’re “do anything” vehicles and even if they will never do truck things it’s just nice to know that they *could*.

It’s pretty much this. Also because pickups are the last bastion of RWD/AWD V8 machismo (small penis compensation). Don’t get me wrong, I like V8 muscle, myself. I just acknowledge why a lot of guys buy them. Hopefully the Lightning being able to run away and hide from a lot of the supposed powerful trucks will change some minds.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

A new ev incentive passes senate financial committee. $7,500 no limit, 80k msrp cap, $10,000 if it's made in the US, $12,500 if it's made in the US by union workers. :sickos:

No telling it it's point of sale. Would go on to senate and then house.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

A new ev incentive passes senate financial committee. $7,500 no limit, 80k msrp cap, $10,000 if it's made in the US, $12,500 if it's made in the US by union workers. :sickos:

So a $27,495 EV F-150 base.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What about the 500k new charging stations? Is that in as well? Or still up in the air.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$27,495 - state rebates (Oregon for example is $5k combined).

I wonder how many base model trim will actually be produced/sell. People looking at these trucks are used to seeing ~$40k entry level price tag for a comparable Toyota or Chevy. Getting a higher trim truck for the same money is one hell of a buyer incentive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Westy543 posted:

There is zero chance of this passing a full house and senate vote, but holy poo poo I wish it would.

Making it a refundable or (more realistically,) transferable credit would be preferable to any increase in the total credit amount, though. Lots of people can’t take advantage of the $7,500 credit, let alone nearly double that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This "no radar" thing sure is beginning to feel like a big misstep.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Making it a refundable or (more realistically,) transferable credit would be preferable to any increase in the total credit amount, though. Lots of people can’t take advantage of the $7,500 credit, let alone nearly double that.
I will admit zero knowledge on this, but looking at it as a total layperson, I get annoyed when people say "oooh you can get a lightning for $27,495" (because of a 12,500 tax credit), because I don't see how a tax credit will make me more able to finance a $39,995 car/truck.

It strikes me as a something that only helps someone who already has the means to buy the truck at full price. Basically, yeah, what you said.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Talking mostly out of my rear end, but wouldn’t the tax credit be real good for a lease? Don’t they apply that into the payment? Or do you still have to go through the tax process yourself even with a lease?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Talking mostly out of my rear end, but wouldn’t the tax credit be real good for a lease? Don’t they apply that into the payment? Or do you still have to go through the tax process yourself even with a lease?

You have to make sure the company leasing you the vehicle is giving you the value of the tax credit instead of pocketing it for themselves.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

This "no radar" thing sure is beginning to feel like a big misstep.

As I commented on awhile back when someone was criticizing the radar in Teslas, I was saved from a potentially serious accident by the radar which saw an accident happening 2 cars ahead of me. I fail to see how relying solely on vision is a better approach. I don't doubt that they can make it work and function in a similar manner but will it catch the edge scenarios? Will it still fall apart when a single camera is a bit dirty? Or the sun is hitting it?

I'm also not a fan of Tesla getting in the habit of removing functionality from cars on the road. I am surprised they are not catching more heat about it online, I am not thrilled to say the least.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Krakkles posted:

I will admit zero knowledge on this, but looking at it as a total layperson, I get annoyed when people say "oooh you can get a lightning for $27,495" (because of a 12,500 tax credit), because I don't see how a tax credit will make me more able to finance a $39,995 car/truck.

It strikes me as a something that only helps someone who already has the means to buy the truck at full price. Basically, yeah, what you said.

Owing $12,500 in federal income taxes means you probably have over $100k in taxable annual income (married, filing jointly), so yeah you should theoretically be able to afford that truck either way.

That said, a lot of people with a lot more money live paycheck to paycheck because of housing costs and also a lot of people with less money seem to be buying new trucks. The $12,500 credit doesn’t really help either case unless leasing, which could potentially make their financial situations even worse.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fame Douglas posted:

I want to haul a camper and run it off the batteries on this F150.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I want to survive in the next power emergency that will inevitably occur in Texas.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Westy543 posted:

In CA the base truck would run $25,500 if that passed ($2K CA rebate). Not to mention the additional tax thing for a truck this heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

I want to haul a camper and run it off the batteries on this F150.

someone should do an ultra-light fiberglass slide-in that uses the truck's battery for everything