Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I should really like it and I'm interested in Mooncrash a lot but I don't think it's standalone, and something about the base game niggles me. I like that it takes place on a big space station with different zones and seems kind of Metroid-ish? It has a nice art style, I like that you can go outside into space as well. I think it's the enemies? The black slime monsters seem kinda goofy but I get why with the whole mimic thing where they could be any random object? I know it's a dumb nitpick to have for a game but I think subconsciously I'm comparing it to the first Bioshock and how creepy it was with splicers crawling on walls/ceilings and the big daddies, and then the link to playing System Shock 2 and trying to fight weird animated corpses with just a wrench after a camera saw me was creepy. Meanwhile what I've seen of the enemies in Prey seem a little goofy. Dumb nitpick, I know. Should probably go back and watch review footage as I doubt it's as bad as what's in my mind right now.
You're not wrong, enemy design and variety is the big flaw with Prey. Mimics are cool but just about every other enemy is uninspired and they all kinda look the same. My character was stealthy and could take out enemies with sneak attacks and that was fun, but I imagine a combat-focused build might get old. Still a great game though, it's outstanding as an immersive sim if not an action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The little black head crab dudes were maybe the least fun enemies I’ve ever played against when it was on PS4, you’d be trying to whack them with your wrench but the lag was so bad that by the time you’d swung the camera, they’d already scurried behind you or turned into a toilet roll.
Seeing it now though it’s cool as poo poo tbh. When they scurry away and morph into a nearby object. It’s so well done

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I thought a good amount of Prey was quite creepy. Mimics are good for a scare early on - I hate when you just catch one out of the corner of your eye, look over and there are three chairs where you think there were only two. Then the bigger monsters aren’t the coolest looking things but are pretty tense to fight or sneak by until you get really powerful.

That’s all offset by the sheer joy of dumping poo poo in the recycler and watching a ton of cubes spit out. Or throwing a recycling grenade into a huge pile of trash. It’s great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Whoever designed the physics for the recycler pickup is a god. It’s like winning at a slot machine or something. Hoovering up the little cubes is so good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The enemies was also part of why i put it down the first time, along with the input lag.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When I played Prey (which rules) on base PS4 I never noticed any input lag or lovely framerate stuff but I've been exclusively playing on consoles for like the past 20 years so that's probably coloured my expectations/perceptions. It took me forever to get into it, though; I played through it in little half-hour bursts for weeks and weeks and got very frustrated with how weak and helpless I felt but drat once you really get going with the powers poo poo accelerates fast.

I slept on getting Mooncrash and eventually forgot it was even a thing, I know it's not included on gamepass but I guess it's nice that as long as I've got a subscription it's basically a standalone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

one of the tomb raiders also had pretty lovely input lag that made stealth gameplay pretty much impossible.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Christ, Conan Exiles is over 100 gigs. How much space does that penis slider take up?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Christ, Conan Exiles is over 100 gigs. How much space does that penis slider take up?

All 100GB to be honest. It's just a very poorly optimized game that is somehow still getting new updates with new content. It's a pretty massive game at this point.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
switch pro might get announced today (thursday) which will be kicking off e3 season for real

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Laserface posted:

one of the tomb raiders also had pretty lovely input lag that made stealth gameplay pretty much impossible.

Yeah the 2nd one in the reboot series. It was sooo bad to play compared to the reboot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

I should really like it and I'm interested in Mooncrash a lot but I don't think it's standalone, and something about the base game niggles me. I like that it takes place on a big space station with different zones and seems kind of Metroid-ish? It has a nice art style, I like that you can go outside into space as well. I think it's the enemies? The black slime monsters seem kinda goofy but I get why with the whole mimic thing where they could be any random object? I know it's a dumb nitpick to have for a game but I think subconsciously I'm comparing it to the first Bioshock and how creepy it was with splicers crawling on walls/ceilings and the big daddies, and then the link to playing System Shock 2 and trying to fight weird animated corpses with just a wrench after a camera saw me was creepy. Meanwhile what I've seen of the enemies in Prey seem a little goofy. Dumb nitpick, I know. Should probably go back and watch review footage as I doubt it's as bad as what's in my mind right now.

I had the same response, the enemies just aren’t much fun to fight. The game is incredible otherwise.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Laserface posted:

I had a pre-order @ EB that i got in the second wave of deliveries.

do u know jenny posted:

Pre-order here.

no kidding. I’ll keep an ear out. heaven forbid I have to take a step into 🤢Harvey Norman🤢

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6DVmAuMXs

The King’s Bird ($19.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 30
    Shadows: Awakening ($29.99 ERP): Available June 16 to July 15
    NeoGeo Battle Coliseum ($9.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 15
    Injustice: Gods Among Us ($19.99 ERP): Available June 16 to 30

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

John F Bennett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6DVmAuMXs

The King’s Bird ($19.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 30
    Shadows: Awakening ($29.99 ERP): Available June 16 to July 15
    NeoGeo Battle Coliseum ($9.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 15
    Injustice: Gods Among Us ($19.99 ERP): Available June 16 to 30

Has every other game already been on GWG orrrrrr whaaaaat

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Laserface posted:

That's Rise of the Tomb Raider, though I felt it just made the aiming feel a little sluggish, while stealth and movement in general is slow enough to not really be an issue. Also it looked incredibly pretty for the OG Xbone hardware, so that helped me forgive.

The input lag issue was fixed for the X-enhanced version.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I gave it a pas and sped through it though. I really liked exploring the first one but the lag made it annoying

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BoosterDuck posted:

switch pro might get announced today (thursday) which will be kicking off e3 season for real

Oh god I hope so. Been holding off on a Switch for a while now because of the rumored upgraded model so I hope that it's finally announced, eager to play Bayonetta 2 and hope the third game is actually still being made.

Also thanks everyone for the responses regarding Prey. Sucks about the enemies and I'm sure the rest of the game is great, but I'll wait for Deathloop to hit the Xbox since I imagine stores will actually have them in stock by then.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

really going to laugh when nintendo announces the pro in a dang tweet out of the blue and cant even be bothered to do a direct

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Super No Vacancy posted:

really going to laugh when nintendo announces the pro in a dang tweet out of the blue and cant even be bothered to do a direct

things supposed to come out in 3 months so nintendo has to strike now for mindshare

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Has every other game already been on GWG orrrrrr whaaaaat

GwG is entering it's ninth year now, so yeah, there have been a lot of better games already.

Good list with everything so far is here: https://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblogcomment.aspx?gamerblogid=40552

I am a little interested in Shadows: Awakening, it's an indie/AA-tier Diablo-like but it's originally a PC game, so the Xbox port might not be good.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Our Xbox Series X|S native version of Human Fall Flat came out today in conjunction with a new level (Forest) if anybody cares about that game - it's still on GamePass.

I'm mainly psyched that we get to make that game because my son absolutely loves it. He's sat in front of the TV playing the new level on the Series S right now. It's been amazing to see how proficient he's become with an Xbox controller almost purely because of that game.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
It's a great game. Congrats! I'll have the check out the Series X version.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BoosterDuck posted:

things supposed to come out in 3 months so nintendo has to strike now for mindshare

Do they?

Do they have to do that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They have to announce it before E3 so that all the people doing E3 shows can show off their 4K Switch games without people being confused why there's a 4K Switch game.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Akuma posted:

Our Xbox Series X|S native version of Human Fall Flat came out today in conjunction with a new level (Forest) if anybody cares about that game - it's still on GamePass.

I'm mainly psyched that we get to make that game because my son absolutely loves it. He's sat in front of the TV playing the new level on the Series S right now. It's been amazing to see how proficient he's become with an Xbox controller almost purely because of that game.

Thank you! We enjoyed the local co-op quite a bit. Any technical changes with the Series version? Better load times?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

New gameplay video and release date for Dying Light 2. It's coming early December and looks really fun. The Xbox version works on both One and Series consoles as well which is nice. I'm guessing the gameplay footage is from a Series X or PS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJAAy7tPhE

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just saw that on the livestream. Combat looks nice and brutal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Posting this from the far cry thread. This game hits the right level of stupid for me. Not full on Just Cause, mind you. But still over the top.

J-Spot posted:

Well, nothing is ever truly gone from the internet. Here's the footage without sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry5uaL_RO_k

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Posting this from the far cry thread. This game hits the right level of stupid for me. Not full on Just Cause, mind you. But still over the top.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 5 but really struggle trying to like New Dawn. Hopefully 6 is better. Are the spin off games always shite?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought new dawn was distilled 5 and much better for it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Far Cry 5 was the first game I played that really pushed my one X and it was fun enough.

I didnt like the tastes of 3 and 4 that I had previously.

wouldnt mind revisiting FC5 with FPS boost now since that was my only real gripe with it. does it go on sale much? I won my physical copy and traded it in after I finished with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Far Cry 5 goes on sale every few weeks

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Laserface posted:

wouldnt mind revisiting FC5 with FPS boost now since that was my only real gripe with it. does it go on sale much? I won my physical copy and traded it in after I finished with it.

It goes on sale all the time and as a matter of fact, the gold edition (with all the DLC and the far cry 3 remaster) is 80% off right now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Far-Cry5-Gold-Edition/BWJK7NTJLKV9

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Far Cry 5 goes on sale every few weeks

Ubisoft have a steep sale pretty once or twice every month.

They are also really into rape culture.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

ixnay posted:

It goes on sale all the time and as a matter of fact, the gold edition (with all the DLC and the far cry 3 remaster) is 80% off right now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Far-Cry5-Gold-Edition/BWJK7NTJLKV9

I still have farcry 3, 4, 5, primal* and new dawn* sitting on my shelf and have never even installed them.

*digital shelf, as i bought them on the silly ubisoft sale months ago, along with blood dragon, etc. I had heard Frarcry 3 was good and so i've just been collecting them for when i eventually have time.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks really fun and I hope that it doesn't get downgraded. FarCry 3 had an amazing "gameplay" reveal which was nothing like the final game, and same for FarCry 4 as well. If that footage is the actual game and not faked gameplay then I'll pick it up because it looks really enjoyable and in a great setting, but I'll always assume the final games have none of the content shown. Hope that's not the case this time round.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ixnay posted:

my decision on this hinges on how good the DLCs are - any one got a review?

dont want to look up videos, I like going in blind.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Laserface posted:

The Far Cry 5 dlc is not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Laserface posted:

Ubisoft handed DLC duties over to some support studios and told them to get weird with it. They're all separate modes from the main game and toss out the typical Far Cry gameplay loop. The Hour of Darkness one was pretty good but I thought the other two were crap and couldn't bring myself to finish them.