Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG too. Without googling can anyone even guess what “The Mysterious Evaporation Incident” refers to lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I just watched the DS9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight", a high watermark for some, I'm sure. I enjoy it, but the resolution makes no sense; you would expect the senator to send a report over subspace as soon as he leaves the station, or even at the moment he figures out that "it's a faaaaake". Garak's plan falls to pieces.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thotsky posted:

I just watched the DS9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight", a high watermark for some, I'm sure. I enjoy it, but the resolution makes no sense; you would expect the senator to send a report over subspace as soon as he leaves the station, or even at the moment he figures out that "it's a faaaaake". Garak's plan falls to pieces.

Imagine that Dax got a throwaway line about how losing Betazed means there's now a big hole in the subspace relay network, so communications to anything beyond it (like Qualor II or Romulus) will be spotty for a few weeks until the new bypass relays are in place. There, problem solved.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HD DAD posted:

TNG too. Without googling can anyone even guess what “The Mysterious Evaporation Incident” refers to lmao

Guessing "Sub Rosa"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

poo poo, that's a tough one. My mind pictures Picard drawing the smiley face in the core explosion

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thotsky posted:

I always assumed that since Garak managed to plant a bomb he also sabotaged their communications.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

thotsky posted:

IIRC Vreenak's mission was top-secret, so I don't think he necessarily would have been able to send a communication before the ship was destroyed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

socialsecurity posted:

I always assumed that since Garak managed to plant a bomb he also sabotaged their communications.

That would be a dumb move; sabotage makes it more likely they'll discover the bomb.

FlamingLiberal posted:

IIRC Vreenak's mission was top-secret, so I don't think he necessarily would have been able to send a communication before the ship was destroyed.

Starfleet officers receive secret orders over encrypted subspace transmissions all the time. Masking transmissions from even being discovered is a recurring plot point.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 26, 2021

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

RE: Pale Moonlight

I always just figured some combination of:

A.) He wanted to personally grandstand in the senate to increase his rep / status.

B.) Something *that* politically sensitive was eyes only, especially since it wasn't time sensitive.

C.) The Romulans wouldn't really worry immediately calling in about it because they assumed that the Federation wouldn't attack someone with Diplomatic Immunity.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The Next Phase?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

That makes me want to think of other generally bad episodes that have amazing B-stories. Probably Meridian.

Meridian is the most infuriating one because the B-plot does indeed have that classic final moment, but it still punishes you by being pretty much the shortest B-plot ever.

CPColin posted:

Guessing "Sub Rosa"

I think that was the opposite of evaporation if you get my drift

Infidelicious posted:

C.) The Romulans wouldn't really worry immediately calling in about it because they assumed that the Federation wouldn't attack someone with Diplomatic Immunity.

Yeah, this. It was a big deal, but there was no reason for him to think there was this urgency of "I'm probably about to get killed, I need you all to know IT'S A FAAAAAAA--" and also he wouldn't have been able to prove it remotely anyway. Kind of a lot to explain over the phone.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 26, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sir Lemming posted:

I think that was the opposite of evaporation if you get my drift

:hmmyes:

I did look it up after I posted my guess and: lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s Aquiel lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supporting this, he arrived cloaked and certainly would have left cloaked as well. Beaming out high-power subspace radio transmissions would completely defeat the purpose of flying under the radar.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I can totally see Romulan security going a little overboard with air gaps

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched an episode of the original series as a kid. My parents took it out from Hollywood Video. I think I may have also watched a little on G4 too, but I don't remember that as well.

I remember it seemed like a really dumb episode with lots of extremely fake boulders and logs, but at least it wasn't as slow and boring as the first VHS tape of the box set of The Three Doctors that my aunt gave to me.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Been going through TNG /DS9 episodes because even after seemingly watching both at least twice the last year I keep coming up with episodes I've missed somehow. One was 'Schisms' and wut teh gently caress. Shoutout Riker for taking that drug from Crusher that would keep him awake the last time he goes to sleep and 'they take him,' after knowing these motherfuckers just amputated his arm & re-attached it a previous night for shits and giggles. About half of the episode is spent explaining poo poo in ever more bonkers language. I still loved it though.

knox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 26, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
And then Daft Punk showed up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

And then Daft Punk showed up.

No Man's Sky has been getting really ambitious lately :haw:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Changelings cannot be read by Betazoids, so why didn't Starfleet assign a bunch of Betazoids to Deep Space 9 as security against changelings?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

Changelings cannot be read by Betazoids, so why didn't Starfleet assign a bunch of Betazoids to Deep Space 9 as security against changelings?

Some sort of corps of psychics.. a Psi Corps if you will...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kurzon posted:

I guess the changelings would just become Ferengi or some other telepathically-protected species. Apparently Cardassians can train to resist a mind-meld, I wonder if that means they can train to be telepathically-resistant in general? I like telepathy and psionics in Trek, it's fun to think about.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Man, I WOULD not mind if Star Trek dropped telepathy/empathy altogether. It's never lead anywhere good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurzon posted:

And then the changelings start impersonating the Betazoids

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At this point the list of races the Betazoids can't read is longer than the ones they can, so it wouldn't be very useful. Imagine, a whole security team of Counselor Trois

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Make your entire staff Bolian.

Changelings can make themselves look like a Bolian but nobody can make themselves smell like one

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Make your entire staff Bolian.

Changelings can make themselves look like a Bolian but nobody can make themselves smell like one

One changeling tried holding a piece of Bolian poop inside their form to mimic the smell.

300 cubic meters of Link was infected and had to be destroyed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

One changeling tried holding a piece of Bolian poop inside their form to mimic the smell.

300 cubic meters of Link was infected and had to be destroyed.

Bolians more deadly to the Dominion than the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order combined

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I guess the changelings would just become Ferengi or some other telepathically-protected species. Apparently Cardassians can train to resist a mind-meld, I wonder if that means they can train to be telepathically-resistant in general? I like telepathy and psionics in Trek, it's fun to think about.

I mean, at least you could rule out key personnel like Sisko or Picard being a channeling by having Lwaxana read their desires out loud at all times.

This would also provide a nice excuse to have even more humans in charge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the idea of telepathy and psionics, but they added those things before we even had a shadow of understanding about the mind, and Trek is a universe where magic-souls might exist. Granted, Science still doesn't know too much about the mind and thoughts except to note we are wrong about most of the ways we think of it. Coming up witr ha plasuible telepathy mechanic between humans would be interesting, to me at least, certainly more interesting than literally just hearing spoken dialogue representing someone's thoughts, or a vague "I sense a feeling"(which are psychic abilities everyone has through myriad other sense and cues. Noting a person making an angry face, while angrily yelling is "angry" ). Trying to read other humans who speak different languages, aren't neurotypical, or otherwise have a more complex internal thought processes than "person talking to themselves in American language."

Trek and it's writers don't seem to know or care anything about the physical realities of the mind, best shown by the 2 Picards they killed to make a third one they thoughtlessly claim to be the same guy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Wow that female quark episode sure was something.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thotsky posted:

Wow that female quark episode sure was something.

something

awful

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
like astronauts

on some kind of

star trek

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CPColin posted:

Guessing "Sub Rosa"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

"Let me know if there's a problem" lol "I LIT IT BUT NO DICK WTF"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

HD DAD posted:

*Riker walks into Worf’s quarters, who is doing bat’leth maneuvers to Talking Heads*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Man, I WOULD not mind if Star Trek dropped telepathy/empathy altogether. It's never lead anywhere good.

I think X-Men is probably the longest-running franchise that has had to go all-in on telepathy because it was in there from the start. And it's still a pretty mixed bag. For the most part they stick to using it as a PA system.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This is a bit of a fringe topic in scientific circles, but I've been following researchers who say that within this century, humans will develop means by which to halt the aging process, perhaps even reverse it. I find it funny that this topic doesn't appear much in science fiction. Star Trek takes place several centuries into the future but humans still age and die at more or less the same pace. I suppose because nobody is talking much about it in science magazines (we're too fixated on AI and quantum computers), it hasn't attracted much notice from sci-fi writers.

There was a season 1 TNG episode where an admiral takes a rejuvenation drug but it eventually kills him. Then there was the season 6 episode "Rascals" where Picard is turned into an adolescent by a transporter accident. So they actually have the means to rejuvenate people, they just don't use it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They've never directly addressed it, but Patrick Stewart is a good fifteen years younger than Picard, so there's at least an implication that Star Trek people age a bit slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Humans definitely live longer. McCoy was like 140 years old when he toured the Enterprise-D. And he was walking around and lucid. That’s a pretty big step up from where we are currently.