Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

awful app lied to me and made me think this page was full.

are you trying to page snipe on mobile? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Off by one error strikes again

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

akadajet posted:

are you trying to page snipe on mobile? lol

tried and failed :lol:

there were 39 posts and I knew it was a new page. i envisioned that as post count ending in a multiple of 39 when in reality it was at a 38. gotta have 40 unread posts on a page to get an app snype.

mystes
May 31, 2006

As they say, the two most common programming mistakes are off-by-one errors

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Mr. Nice! posted:

it is.

full of poo poo!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

My company deployed teams this week. pros: it's not Skype for business. cons: click on tab.... wait... wait... tab fully loads. is it like this everywhere or is my corporate spyware making GBS threads it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the teams client is a huge piece of poo poo in every way, but no, it shouldn't be that unresponsive

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lol it spikes my CPU to 20% for a couple seconds to change a ui element

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it will randomly stop rendering elements, maybe restarting the client will fix it, maybe not

it will, given enough time, use up all available memory and cause the system to hang

depending on the laptop there are a number of ways for it to somehow lock up the webcam driver such that the computer has to be rebooted to re-initialize it

it can just refuse to allow you to enter credentials at all, making it impossible to even sign in

but generally it's not terribly slow

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jenny Agutter posted:

My company deployed teams this week. pros: it's not Skype for business. cons: click on tab.... wait... wait... tab fully loads. is it like this everywhere or is my corporate spyware making GBS threads it up

its all server side so its laggy as poo poo but it shouldn’t be any worse than switching tabs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Lol it spikes my CPU to 20% for a couple seconds to change a ui element

that's electron for you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

gonna go out on a limb here and say: "it's DNS".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's always DNS when it comes to microsoft 365 issues

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh and the teams outlook plugin is so buggy that outlook will inevitably prevent it from loading because it has crashed too frequently, necessitating setting a GPO to explicitly override that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
after removing our lovely-rear end Genband software phones and replacing that with Skype for Business, it now sounds like they're removing S4B in favour of Teams, which has the brilliant side effect of rendering people unable to make or receive calls if Teams has problems, so they have to use their personal cells lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the teams client sucks so bad because of all the javascript but the call and video stuff usually works well. the chat is almost unusable tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

yes. thats called electron and its a huge piece of poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
teams mostly works ok for me but yeah it takes an atrocious amount of ram

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol owned if you have to use teams

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

all the companies I have to do meetings with here all use teams. joining via edge is ok, works without hassle.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, can understand that it is annoying clunk in regular use, but i use it a couple of times a week for contact with various other organizations, and it is mostly just fine.

actually the by far most annoying thing about it for me is that it is apparently underpinned by the usual microsoft stack of disparate configurable policies and settings, so every organization has some random subset of the features disabled or working in a slightly different way.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
wish i could hide my ugly face in Teams calls

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
video is optional

(unless there's a gpo for forcing it enabled and your org uses it, in which case, double lmfao wtf)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if you gotta use video, turning off your own video tile is a pro move

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i tried to use teams to meet with some external collaborators, the linux client installed and opened fine

it needed me to sign in to join a video meeting??

then i signed in with a microsoft account that i apparently had (according to keep rear end), and "[my] organization needs to enable teams"? wtf???

we just used zoom, it actually worked

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

i tried to use teams to meet with some external collaborators, the linux client installed and opened fine

it needed me to sign in to join a video meeting??

then i signed in with a microsoft account that i apparently had (according to keep rear end), and "[my] organization needs to enable teams"? wtf???

we just used zoom, it actually worked

see this is precisely the kind of poo poo i am talking about. the defaults in teams (unless something has changed super-recently) are such that if you are invited to a meeting you don't need an account and you get video and so on. rather i expect that what caused this issue was some random nest of policies on the side of the external collaborators, requiring something of your account which makes no sense outside their domain.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

see this is precisely the kind of poo poo i am talking about. the defaults in teams (unless something has changed super-recently) are such that if you are invited to a meeting you don't need an account and you get video and so on. rather i expect that what caused this issue was some random nest of policies on the side of the external collaborators, requiring something of your account which makes no sense outside their domain.

yep it's probably this

we don't really lock down or mess with poo poo in teams with gpo afaik and my team has had zero problems inviting external collaborators to meetings

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for quite a while there were policies and configuration for teams dial-in endpoints that could only be managed through the old skype for business control center. then, for a while, they removed access to the skype for business control center, because it was depreciated, but they didn't move the configuration for those teams dependencies to the teams control center

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

if you gotta use video, turning off your own video tile is a pro move
i want to know if im unconsciously doing some weird poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i want to know if im unconsciously doing some weird poo poo

if you're wondering, you are

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah, can understand that it is annoying clunk in regular use, but i use it a couple of times a week for contact with various other organizations, and it is mostly just fine.

actually the by far most annoying thing about it for me is that it is apparently underpinned by the usual microsoft stack of disparate configurable policies and settings, so every organization has some random subset of the features disabled or working in a slightly different way.

v cool that my organization is deprecating skype for business so we'll have to use teams for messaging. sounds like it's an rear end load of gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah the defaults are pretty wide open and i had to unfuck the policies someone created in an attempt to "lock things down".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

v cool that my organization is deprecating skype for business so we'll have to use teams for messaging. sounds like it's an rear end load of gently caress

skype 4 biz is going away so there isnt a choice, but also skype 4 biz is the only chat client worse than teams

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

for quite a while there were policies and configuration for teams dial-in endpoints that could only be managed through the old skype for business control center. then, for a while, they removed access to the skype for business control center, because it was depreciated, but they didn't move the configuration for those teams dependencies to the teams control center

i had hoped this meant the removal of dials ins from teams which would have put an end to the most egregious boomer calls, but i guess no such luck

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

im eternally thankful my company requisitions laptops that dont have cameras and as such our norms during covid never developed to have video chats

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

skype 4 biz is going away so there isnt a choice, but also skype 4 biz is the only chat client worse than teams

a decade down the line and sametime is still the best chat client my company ever deployed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we still have sametime installed for some staff because the teams client is too bloated to run on remote desktop session hosts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i had hoped this meant the removal of dials ins from teams which would have put an end to the most egregious boomer calls, but i guess no such luck

no such luck. conference bridges still exist, and you can even mostly manage them from the teams control center now

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

time to read the last 5 pages to determine if the thread title is sarcastic or genuine before posting about my terrible, terrible antics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

after removing our lovely-rear end Genband software phones and replacing that with Skype for Business, it now sounds like they're removing S4B in favour of Teams, which has the brilliant side effect of rendering people unable to make or receive calls if Teams has problems, so they have to use their personal cells lmao

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-survivable-branch-appliance

you can still make phone calls if internet goes out with a certified SBC and phones which are not too old