Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Good thing he said "for adults" and not that then.

Even then it's just marketing spin, it's still gonna be Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I can't believe they're making an adult only Dragon Quest with real time ray-traced puff puff

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Asteroid Alert posted:

"Dark & Mature" Dragon Quest sounds weird.

Finally, a Dragon Quest game where a Slime says gently caress.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I too am excited to see a HD-2D remake of DQ3.

I wasn’t expecting DQXII to be announced. Post-presentation interview Yuji Horii said XII will be a game about options and playing your way. The sounds like a branding story path to me. Also big changes to the command system.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
It would be interesting to see DQ XII monsters designed with a more stylized "evil" look.

DQ3 was the best thing shown. Now give me DQ4 in that style pretty please (and without the totally overwhelming accents).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m personally a little wary of changes to the combat system but it’s so vague right now that it’s pointless for me to speculate about what they might be. I just hope Dragon Quest stays the charming, chill-out game I love and doesn’t try to become something else.

But we have so few details and it’s so far off that I’m not gonna worry about it and instead look forward to the DQIII remake, which looks awesome.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Asteroid Alert posted:

My thoughts exactly. DQ is about comfortable whimsy for me. Nothing against grittier settings or whatever, but it seems in worst case scenario an idea driven by market trends.

But it’s probably too early to speculate. And it’s not like DQ hasn’t gone some dark places before, with a thin veneer of fairy tale sheen.

Hinting at battle system changes could go either way for me. On the one hand you know what you’re getting and that’s nice, on the other, it’s easily the most archaic part of the series, so I’m open to the idea.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I hope is that the combat stays turn-based.

That's actually kinda my only wish on the wishlist? There are tons of different turn-based systems I really love. DQ's doesn't have to stay exactly the same. Some variation there, new features, maybe a little more complexity, there's plenty of room to grow there. I don't want it to try to become real-time or action-focused or anything, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

That's actually kinda my only wish on the wishlist? There are tons of different turn-based systems I really love. DQ's doesn't have to stay exactly the same. Some variation there, new features, maybe a little more complexity, there's plenty of room to grow there. I don't want it to try to become real-time or action-focused or anything, though.

:hai:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
DQ is already pretty mature in comparison to many other RPGs, I'd say. Mature in an actual mature way, where it can talk about family and death and whatever and be honest about it. Doesn't have to have it's whimsy and fairy-tale aspects as an ironic thing, it just does it wholeheartedly.

Harrow posted:

Agreed.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've a question about DQ XI (on the PS4). I've bought a basic non-S version on sale, didn't play too much, but a fair bit (up until Veronica joins the party). I don't know if the S version was available then, but I doubt it (since it replaces the basic one on the PSN). Now, since the save doesn't transfer, I'd have to start anew, and it's better to do that before playing long, but... Although I like the S version tweaks and QoL changes, I very much dislike buying a whole new game to be able to summon a horse, skip cutscenes and be able to lug my Smithy around - and I don't exactly believe that patching those changes to the regular game is impossible (and if it is that's dumb). Still, they are nice - and I know there are more, those are just examples I've picked. I also notice the difference in graphics, but that's a difference, so if one were to spend more time with the S version, the difference would fade.

So my question becomes - how likely is one to replay the game, do you think? By the time I've actually finished, got the Platinum etc. a few months (years:p) will have passed, making the price of the S version possibly quite lower, so if I were to replay, skipping cutscenes and all would be a great addition. Still, the game is massive, so replaying is not exactly a given - especially since you can respec skills.

So that's my "dillema" - to commit to playing the standard game now and maybe replay it later after the S version is cheaper (certainly not now, when it's more expensive than what I'd paid for the game), or not trying to play further since I won't replay the game anyway. I do realize it might be an impossible question to answer, so maybe this one would be easier: how many of you replayed/feel the urge to replay the game? Or is it too early to tell?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah same. Pretty much what I mean. Simplicity is cool, just add some new, more substantial wrinkles to the formula.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lets hang out posted:

erik game doesn't seem to be monsters anymore, dunno what this is (and they aren't saying)

I'm honestly annoyed by this. DQM games have better story, combat, and upgrade (breeding) mechanics than Pokemon has ever had and we need more of them. Treasures will probably be fun even if it's some other style of game but I was kinda looking forward to a Monsters game in a DQXI setting.

I didn't notice any mention of the Adventure of Dai game mentioned a few years back so I wonder if that got scrapped entirely or what.

No mention of a DQ Builders 3 isn't too surprising due to the DQ3 remake and having 2 games in the setting at the same time might've been seen as too much internally. :shrug:

No mention of a DQ Heroes 3 either but that's not surprising since DQH2 seemed just ok for single player and a total mess for "co-op" gameplay.

Szurumbur posted:

So my question becomes - how likely is one to replay the game, do you think? By the time I've actually finished, got the Platinum etc. a few months (years:p) will have passed, making the price of the S version possibly quite lower, so if I were to replay, skipping cutscenes and all would be a great addition. Still, the game is massive, so replaying is not exactly a given - especially since you can respec skills.

Even in the base game I imagine getting platinum is going to be well over 100 hours of gameplay.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Honestly if you're just at getting Veronica in the team, just go get the S version for all of the extras and QoL features.

This is coming from someone who pretty much 100% *both* the original and S versions of DQ11.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

Here's my experience, if it's any help:

Got the original on PS4 late November 2018
Got the platinum that Christmas

Got the Switch rerelease at launch the following September and fell off a bit further than you are now.

Got the Xbox release December 2020, and got the platinum equivalent in February 2021.

In the end, it depends on how okay you are with replaying games of course. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who replays the mainline game but it does take a certain kind of person to go through VII 3 times.

Edit: and for what it's worth, you could do a replay in the 2D mode if you wanted. That's what I tried to do but I gave up because I found it too annoying.

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 27, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Asteroid Alert posted:

Part of me agrees with this, but then at the same time I remember how the DQV Protagonist goes through a level of suffering normally only reserved for Peter Parker.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

finally, dragon quest...for adults

Dragon Quest XII: Hardcore Puff-Puff Edition

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They tried to do the gritty mature thing for Monster Hunter World and it ended up just feeling like Monster Hunter regardless so I wouldn't worry about Dragon Quest XII

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't notice any mention of the Adventure of Dai game mentioned a few years back so I wonder if that got scrapped entirely or what.

The Japanese stream mentioned a few things.

- An existing Cross Blade arcade game with some Dai branding - https://www.dqdai-xb.jp/
- A mobile game called Soul Bond or something - https://www.dqdai-souls.com/
- Infinity Strash https://www.dqdai-is.com/ at around 26 minutes in on that stream.

Whatever a Strash is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHPUHvftdA

edit: I noticed the last 2 URLs are .com and dqdai souls has some English in its marketing video.

spacebard fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 27, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It really does the series is ridiculously infantile. They can try but lol literally every single plot and subplot is about kings and queens and princesses and other child fairy tale stuff

It's a big part of its identity

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
plot twist: dq12 is a builders game

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

plot twist: dq12 is a builders game

Sounds good to me :colbert:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KingSlime posted:

It really does the series is ridiculously infantile. They can try but lol literally every single plot and subplot is about kings and queens and princesses and other child fairy tale stuff

I don't think you and I are playing the same Dragon Quest.

edit: no really let's list out some examples, here's some off the top of my head

1: All of Dragon Quest V, literally all of it
2: The crux of Dragon Quest IV's plot is a villain driven to homicidal madness because his girlfriend cries gemstones and humans keep hunting her down wherever he hides her so that they can beat her and make her cry to make more gemstones. And that's an NES game.
3: I remember several really dark sidequests in DQ VII, like the one where people get turned to statues and even after you solve the problem and "save the day", the statues outdoors have been exposed to the elements for so long that they're still just unsalvageable, sucks to be them, at least the indoor ones are okay??
4: I haven't even finished DQ XI yet and the mermaid subplot is just, god, that is not a children's story

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 27, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Did you play DQ5? Your watch your dad die in front of you, get sold into slavery, and your kids are forced to grow up without their father since you get turned into stone. What about that is infantile?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you play DQ5? Your watch your dad die in front of you, get sold into slavery, and your kids are forced to grow up without their father since you get turned into stone. What about that is infantile?

Don't forget the part where after you get turned to stone, you look on helplessly as your own statue and your wife's statue get separated, then you sit there watching SOMEONE ELSE'S family grow up while being a lawn gnome in their yard, just to rub it in that your children are off somewhere else growing up without you.

A DQ game with dark themes is just another DQ game.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Are they going to bring in a composer that isn't 90?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gaius Marius posted:

It has a plot arc where you go save the fairies of Summer from Winter and puns for names, so it must be infantile! :v:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you actually read any fairy tales? Those are pretty standard children's story plot points especially your parents dying right in front of you. Presentation is a big part of gearing it toward the audience rather than specific themes/plot devices

But yes dragon quest 5 is definitely one the best in terms of plot, not so much because of how dark it is or whatever but because it actually has a sense of progression and things change/we follow a protagonist through various phases rather than when he becomes a teen and saves the world just like that

Not to mention the plot twist about who the hero is, incredibly innovative for its time

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 27, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
*Glances at list beloved Disney animated films from the last 50 years*

Yep no patricide or orphans or horrible curses or family separation or systematic injustices or straight up murder or psychological/physical abuse at the hands of family going on here guys, just a bunch of cute kids singing cute songs

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So was there no Monsters news?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Someone on reddit thought that maybe treasures was it but nah that's giving me some weird action RPG / puzzle vibes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bentacos posted:

Are they going to bring in a composer that isn't 90?

sadly that old piece of poo poo will be carried by this franchise for the rest of his life

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hokuto posted:

edit: no really let's list out some examples, here's some off the top of my head

2: The crux of Dragon Quest IV's plot is a villain driven to homicidal madness because his girlfriend cries gemstones and humans keep hunting her down wherever he hides her so that they can beat her and make her cry to make more gemstones. And that's an NES game.
3: I remember several really dark sidequests in DQ VII, like the one where people get turned to statues and even after you solve the problem and "save the day", the statues outdoors have been exposed to the elements for so long that they're still just unsalvageable, sucks to be them, at least the indoor ones are okay??
4: I haven't even finished DQ XI yet and the mermaid subplot is just, god, that is not a children's story

That part in DQ VIII where Dominico makes that guy eat dog food just to be a prick

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

So was there no Monsters news?

They mentioned in passing that there would be one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But really, the phrase "for adults" seems like a translation made without consideration for the connotations that phrase carries among western audiences who've seen it used in decades of embarrassing and insecure marketing. The rest of the presentation indicated that the foreign market is still something of an afterthought, notwithstanding the worldwide releases. It's still Yuji Horii writing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He probably meant something more nuanced like "for those who grew up with the series." DQXI was a big nostalgia trip. Perhaps XII is made to gently caress with exactions and series conventions?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wonder if the composer people complain about will be in12

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

spacebard posted:

- An existing Cross Blade arcade game with some Dai branding - https://www.dqdai-xb.jp/
- Infinity Strash https://www.dqdai-is.com/ at around 26 minutes in on that stream.

Whatever a Strash is.

edit: I noticed the last 2 URLs are .com and dqdai souls has some English in its marketing video.

Cool, I missed those when looking over the stream and it'd be nice if Infinity Strash comes here if it's a chill action-adventure game.

Hokuto posted:

Dragon Quest 2's opening cutscene is a castle being invaded by Hargon's forces with the king and a bunch of guards being killed, and the sole survivor dying after making it to Midenhall (bypassing the closer Cannock because even foreign guards know the Prince of Cannock sucks :v:).
Dragon Quest 3's intro is a guy fighting a monster and falling into an active volcano and the the opening of the game is "hey your dad left to stop the Archfiend and died, now it's your turn."

Relin posted:

i wonder if the composer people complain about will be in12

He's old as hell so who knows. There's absolutel zero chance SE make him step down though since he could and would take his rights to the DQ music with him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spacebard posted:

Whatever a Strash is.

Strash is a sword technique of Avan, the hero in the prologue(?) of DQ3 that he teaches you?*

I've only seen like 15 episodes of the anime but I assume that the plot of that is pretty similar to the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Strash is a sword technique of Avan, the hero in the prologue(?) of DQ3 that he teaches you?*

I've only seen like 15 episodes of the anime but I assume that the plot of that is pretty similar to the game too.

Not quite Avan's the previous Hero but there is no connection between any of the games and Adventure of Dai they have aesthetics and not much else in common though it dose borrow heavily from DQ3.