Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Winter Soldier is about government overreach and literally has the “FBI/CIA stand-in” organization outed as being a Nazi puppet conspiracy and gets wiped off the map. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

Winter Soldier is about government overreach and literally has the “FBI/CIA stand-in” organization outed as being a Nazi puppet conspiracy and gets wiped off the map. :confused:

Isn't one of the good guys in Black Panther a CIA agent?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I wouldn’t bother

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

I can’t remember what agency he’s a part of, but it’s also not like the movie glorifies his role, his whole arc is “I’m way out of my depth and should stay out of people’s way”

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not saying you have to like the movies, or even have to watch them, but “these movies suck” loses a lot of its bite when you add the caveat of “oh yeah also I didn’t watch any of them”.

Nah. I have a VERY good idea of what these movies are. Having seen one, having seen trailers and reactions, and hearing others' critiques, plus having been watching films now for 38 years, if these movies are in any way, shape or form different from what I'm expecting I'll eat my god drat hat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

All that movie accomplished was outing the fictional government organization and uncritically replaced it with the real-world ones.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen Blade (not the sequels)? Go watch that and then go watch any one of the Avengers movies. My problem isn't with the genre.

Yeah, I saw Blade at the theater and I’ve seen it at least once since then. It’s a “good” comic book movie. But there are a handful of Marvel flicks that are equally “good” (and I’ve sat through each every one of those at the theater as well).

But I mean they’re all varying degrees of popcorn flicks right? It’s valid (but still arguable) to say Blade is better than most of the MCU films. Personally I agree with that. Trying to distance it from them like it’s a Kurosawa or something is kinda silly though.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Straight Story is getting a region B release from Imprint, along with Days of Heaven :

https://twitter.com/imprint_films/status/1397809803007873027?s=19

The Straight Story also has newly filmed featurettes:

quote:

New Audio Commentary by Film Critic Peter Tonguette (2021)

New producer/editor featurette (2021)

New featurette on the score (2021)

New production design featurette (2021)

New Visual Essay by filmmaker, writer and programmer Ian Mantgani (2021)

Wonder if that means it's gonna crop up on Criterion or Shout?

Days of Heaven also has new featurettes and commentary, so either Criterion is releasing an updated edition or the rights have gone to someone else for a re release in region A?

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 27, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've seen a few Marvel Movies, and they mainly fall into my bucket of "enjoyed it, never need to see it again."

It's the cinematic equivalent of McDonald's. Nobody savors a chicken McNugget. You don't see people writing odes to the McNugget and analyzing it's flavor. But that doesn't mean that you don't ever occasionally enjoy a McNugget or even just want a McNugget.

Marvel movies are great when you want to watch a movie that you know you'll enjoy. They don't challenge the status quo. They don't reinvent or even invent things. They create a phony sense of pay-off by having these long and yet predictable arcs, and you know what? Sometimes, you just want to see some mindless action. Sometimes, you just want a cinematic McNugget.

These movies aren't deep. They don't really present new and interesting conflicts. They just repackage the same basic stories and shake them up. And that's okay. When I go to see a Marvel film, I'm not looking to be surprised. I'm looking to have fun.

I don't order a McNugget expecting a fantastic flavor journey. I'm looking for something that's good and quick.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Xenomrph posted:

Actually I wish they would crank out one every week until the end of time. Bleed my wallet dry, run this poo poo into the ground, pump it directly into my veins.

This is pretty much happening already. Between new episodes of the shows coming out this year (Loki, What If, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel), and movies (Black Widow, Shang Chi, Eternals), we have a lot of Marvel coming out in the next 6 months. And even more shows and movies next year.

I love it. I've never read the comics, but the movies are generally fun, and I love watching them build this interconnected universe that has never been done before.

I can't watch high brow stuff all the time. I'll follow up an episode of HBO's Chernobyl with an episode of The Real Housewives of Potomac.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

I can't watch high brow stuff all the time. I'll follow up an episode of HBO's Chernobyl with an episode of The Real Housewives of Potomac.

But do you ever watch high brow stuff?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, the only evil organizations are stand in and real world organizations are lauded without criticism. That's propaganda.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cloks posted:

Yes, the only evil organizations are stand in and real world organizations are lauded without criticism. That's propaganda.

When are they lauded?

I’m not sure they ever really show up in a meaningful capacity seeing as how it’s the superheroes’ job to solve the universe’s problems every time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The real world organizations that hired a psychopath to become the next captain America who then proceeded to behead a “terrorist” with the shield. Really showing these people in a bright light.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

When are they lauded?

I’m not sure they ever really show up in a meaningful capacity seeing as how it’s the superheroes’ job to solve the universe’s problems every time.

Black Panther and Wandavision both have secondary characters who are FBI/CIA and are unambiguously good.

The movies also receive Pentagon funding and showcase US military technology.

Don't forget the special China only scenes that talk about how good China is in Iron Man III.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Back on topic: How do the IKEA Billie bookshelf’s handle weird shaped box sets? Like that midsommar box or the Friday the 13th Shout boxset? I really gotta find new shelving, mines busting at the seams.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well this is loving awesome:

DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY):

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
Theatrical trailers and TV spots
Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY):

The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
* EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE *

Special Features:

Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Dune is Fremen propaganda. The geriatric spice melange is a resource that cannot meaningfully be owned by a single planet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Is that Region B only?

I havent watched Dune in a very long time so I dont know what my feelings are for it currently. Excited for the new movie though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

Is that Region B only?

I havent watched Dune in a very long time so I dont know what my feelings are for it currently. Excited for the new movie though.

It's UHD so disc 1 will be region free. Disc 2 will likely be region-B locked.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can’t remember Dune well enough to know if I like it or not but that is one hell of a box set, I love it when movies get releases like that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I actually just watched Dune for the first time quite recently, so I can confirm it's an awesome movie. As long as you don't compare it to the book.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's UHD so disc 1 will be region free. Disc 2 will likely be region-B locked.

yea. i really need to just invest in the region free player already. i keep putting it off.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The first Lynch film that gets the 4k UHD treatment is Dune.

It's official, we exist in the worst timeline.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I don't give a poo poo about James Bond either but the difference there is that we're not constantly being bombarded with James Bond. They make a new Bond film, like what, every three-five years? There are two or three Disney Marvel films a year. Disney is dominating the film and television industry and we're all worse off for it.
Iron Man himself probably appears in about that many and it's not like each movie is drastically different than the last or has its own vibe. They just repackage the same poo poo over and over again. That's why I stopped going to see them years ago. I'll even admit that I really enjoyed the first and third Iron Man movies but there are just way too many of these things. If you're into them then whatever but Jesus Christ am I so sick of these bland explodey movies just being everywhere always, especially since they're taking up screens that could be showing better or more interesting stuff.

He does not appear in that many. You don't want to actually talk about stuff, you wanna freak out about children's movies no one is forcing you to see, think about, care about, or discuss here, and back up your freak out with ridiculous hyperbole. Just don't watch the movies and calm down. You're also making the same arguments that have been made against mainstream movies for decades. You're just an old man yelling at a cloud. Or a more apt analogy, a first year film student yelling at a cloud. This attitude from people is way more exhausting than any movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

He starts as a CIA agent then abandons his country and organization to help out the African kingdom.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

The first Lynch film that gets the 4k UHD treatment is Dune.

It's official, we exist in the worst timeline.

my copy of Elephant Man has some words for you

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brexit the Frog posted:

my copy of Elephant Man has some words for you

Ah, completely forgot about that. I missed it and got the Criterion release instead.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That Elephant Man criterion is drat pretty. I'd have to see a UHD copy of it just to see if the difference is really that discernible.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Getting ready for the Vinegar Syndrome sale tonight. I've really enjoyed some of their releases (Christmas Evil, Angel Collection, Tammy and the T Rex, The Undertaker)

My list for tonight is:
Psycho Cop Returns
Malibu High
Fade to Black

Anything else I should add based on what I like?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I will sing the praises of Alphabet City until all of y’all buy it. Basically all of Fun City Editions titles are aces.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I have way too much stuff on my to-buy list, so I think the only VinSyn purchase I'll make tonight is Home Grown Horror (which may not even be discounted by much).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Heads up, you can buy Arrow's 4k UHD of Flash Gordon on Amazon right now for $20. It's not in stock, but will ship in about a week. Pretty great price, and you can't buy it from Arrow directly anymore.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Heads up, you can buy Arrow's 4k UHD of Flash Gordon on Amazon right now for $20. It's not in stock, but will ship in about a week. Pretty great price, and you can't buy it from Arrow directly anymore.

Niiiiice. Ordered. Thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Niiiiice. Ordered. Thanks.

It was originally a pass for me, cuz I had never watched it. My friends got the UHD and we spent an afternoon watching it with a joint, and it became an essential buy for me. Just visually awesome.

edit: Are we pretty sure Arrow's gonna release standard editions of True Romance and Cat O' Nine Tails on 4k UHD, or even Donnie Darko? I don't care for them enough to have the big boxes and postcards and stuff, but I'd certainly like to own all three on UHD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

It was originally a pass for me, cuz I had never watched it. My friends got the UHD and we spent an afternoon watching it with a joint, and it became an essential buy for me. Just visually awesome.

I've only seen bits and pieces of it but it always looked like an absolute blast.

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Are we pretty sure Arrow's gonna release standard editions of True Romance and Cat O' Nine Tails on 4k UHD, or even Donnie Darko? I don't care for them enough to have the big boxes and postcards and stuff, but I'd certainly like to own all three on UHD.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet, yeah.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, it looks like a 6-8 month buffer for the Limited Edition's to the Standard Editions if Tremors is gonna be the baseline.

I pre-ordered the Django UHD Limited Edition because I wasn't sure what Arrow's situation was, but it also seems moot because it still hasn't shipped lol.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm secretly hoping the secret Vinegar Syndrome titles tonight are super boring, because I have spent too much money on movies the last few weeks and don't want to drop another chunk on anything other than the Televised Terrors collection and the Cardona collection. But it's most likely going to be something awesome and weird like the Scanner Cop movies or a better release of Ticks and I'll have no choice but to buy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, it looks like a 6-8 month buffer for the Limited Edition's to the Standard Editions if Tremors is gonna be the baseline.

I pre-ordered the Django UHD Limited Edition because I wasn't sure what Arrow's situation was, but it also seems moot because it still hasn't shipped lol.

Did you order it from Arrow or Diabolik? My Diabolik order came in immediately. They either do it on-time or a few weeks early. (Santa Sangre 4k box set came in two weeks early for me.)

Arrow's been a little weird about their shipments. They finally agreed to fix my order that got hosed up in shipping, and then I had radio silence for a few more weeks. I e-mailed them occasionally asking "Did this ship? Can I get a tracking number?"

They finally e-mailed me back today saying "This shipped, here's the tracking number!" and it's out for delivery today. Feels like they sat on the tracking info until they were sure it was going to be delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

What I wanna know is when are we going to get some silents on 4k?

Probably not going to happen for physical since you’d need 4K masters for a silent with excellent quality elements. Not a lot of those. Universal has a dozen or so 4K restorations on the shelf, but none of those are from camera negatives or even original prints.

Keaton’s The General would be a good pick since the OCN survived and a fine-grain made from it was utilized for the 4K restoration. The Blu-ray from Cohen/MoC looks incredible, even for a silent film.

Good chance that Abel Gance’s Napoleon may make it to UHD or at least will be in 4K for Netflix.