Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Elissimpark posted:

I asked my 5yo to draw a 'sweet guitar' and I'll have to stand corrected:

This is great.

I paid 80 dollars too much for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elissimpark posted:

Amazing guitar, but harsh critique on your body shape.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

homewrecker posted:

He may be a decent guitarist but if it makes you feel any better here is his attempt at an original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D6m7rhBPiE

(I've linked to this before in this thread but like I said the last time, I can't pass up a chance to link to it)

I have a PRS that I love (S2 Vela) and I will sing the praises of that guitar forever so I guess I'm not allowed to judge without being a hypocrite but to me that "dream guitar" of his looks like any other PRS with a gaudy finish and tacky bird inlays. And yes I know there's a whole story behind those bird inlays and I will agree that they're unique and maybe a "defining" feature of PRS guitars but I still think they look bad.

Hey I thought he deleted that song.

Oh wait he did, this was uploaded by somebody else. lol

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's funny to imagine that some random dude saw the original and thought "This is so horrible/funny that he'll probably delete it." *archives the full res clip*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

reddit has a sub named /r/guitarcirclejerk and a decent amount of the posts are basically cyber bullying that guy. it’s very very funny.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I still find that some song super fascinating in how is extremely competently made but deftly avoids saying, anything. Its all verbs that appear coherent but don't lead to any point or conclusion, and your brain registers it as wrong like the lyrical version of Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Sweet!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

massive spider posted:

I still find that some song super fascinating in how is extremely competently made but deftly avoids saying, anything. Its all verbs that appear coherent but don't lead to any point or conclusion, and your brain registers it as wrong like the lyrical version of Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like.

The "you're more than human" line made me think something interesting was about to happen and it turned out he was singing about a robot the entire time. Nope

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's such a fascinatingly banal song. There's definite technical competency on display, but an utter lack of any songwriting ability. It's the distillation of skill without talent.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Walrus man play the BC Rich

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

massive spider posted:

like the lyrical version of Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like.
He wrote it using his phone's predictive text?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

homewrecker posted:

He may be a decent guitarist but if it makes you feel any better here is his attempt at an original song:

(I've linked to this before in this thread but like I said the last time, I can't pass up a chance to link to it)

I have a PRS that I love (S2 Vela) and I will sing the praises of that guitar forever so I guess I'm not allowed to judge without being a hypocrite but to me that "dream guitar" of his looks like any other PRS with a gaudy finish and tacky bird inlays. And yes I know there's a whole story behind those bird inlays and I will agree that they're unique and maybe a "defining" feature of PRS guitars but I still think they look bad.

Presumably you didn't have your PRS custom made though? It does feel as though he went to a lot of trouble for "purple LP". If you LIKE LPs thats fine, but there's heaps of LPs and LP-esque guitars around - it feels a bit redundant to get someone to build another one specially for you. The chopped Warbeast up there is hideous, but its uniquely hideous at least.

If I could afford to have someone build me a bass, it would be a gaudy franken-monstrosity that would make a '60's Soviet guitar designer wince.

OutOfPrint posted:

It's such a fascinatingly banal song. There's definite technical competency on display, but an utter lack of any songwriting ability. It's the distillation of skill without talent.

It feels like the song on an album that comes directly after the hit single when you realise that the artist may be a one-hit wonder.

sigher posted:

Amazing guitar, but harsh critique on your body shape.

Eh, I'm middle-aged, tall and out of shape. She was probably being kind.

Animal Friend posted:

Walrus man play the BC Rich

Lol.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

When you get custom build guitar money, go custom as gently caress. Stig from Danish rock band DAD has the right idea (basses starta minute or so in):

https://youtu.be/Jvz3H5hufuQ

I will never not post his basses.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

homewrecker posted:

Wow. This song sucks in a way I haven’t heard since I used to hang around a recording studio with a friend of mine who engineered hourly recording sessions.

That bassist has the same enthusiasm as one of the studio guys, “please don’t take my picture”.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BonHair posted:

When you get custom build guitar money, go custom as gently caress. Stig from Danish rock band DAD has the right idea (basses starta minute or so in):

Holy crap, that is fantastic. Any idea what he tunes to?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Holy crap, that is fantastic. Any idea what he tunes to?

I think it's just E A. His explanation is that he is not a technical player and he plays simple stuff, so he doesn't need D and G strings. He seems super chill. Phone bass looks awesome in live videos too, the screen works and is connected to the camera.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BonHair posted:

I think it's just E A. His explanation is that he is not a technical player and he plays simple stuff, so he doesn't need D and G strings. He seems super chill. Phone bass looks awesome in live videos too, the screen works and is connected to the camera.

That reminds me of a bass player from some 90's band who had replaced their E and A strings numerous times on tour, but still had the D and G that the bass had come with. I want to say D'Arcy from Smashing Pumpkins, but I don't think it's her.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

homewrecker posted:

you can't stop

THE BLOOD

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

That reminds me of a bass player from some 90's band who had replaced their E and A strings numerous times on tour, but still had the D and G that the bass had come with. I want to say D'Arcy from Smashing Pumpkins, but I don't think it's her.

Pro move is to tune E A E A, in the same octave. String breaks? Eh, I got another.

To be honest, I felt attacked when my singer mocked me for having a 5 string when I never used the G string. It's nice to have in theory!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elissimpark posted:

I mean that's sounds like the majority of bass players on the 90's.

Also loved Steve DiGiorgio's take on it

A badass Bass Player posted:

If you don't use 'em, lose 'em!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I can't believe one of my dad's favorite bass playing anecdotes/opinions (from back in the day when he went through the whole cycle of playing drums, bass and eventually guitar in a band in his youth) about five-string basses "being pointless because you only really need two strings on a bass" turned out to be true.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rubbish. Can't play disco octaves on two strings.

Well, not very well.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you think you need more than a djentstick you’re wrong

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

If you think you need more than a djentstick you’re wrong

Isn't more than a djentstick just a regular harp?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BonHair posted:

Isn't more than a djentstick just a regular harp?

That’s how I’m now referring to any bass or guitar

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BonHair posted:

Huh, he plays left handed too. Neat.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Stupid Music poo poo is that I took my LPC into the warehouse today and it clocked at 15lbs on the scales, which is starting to turn practice into an endurance feat. Apparently weight relief hadn't caught on back then. Siivola rightly pointed out that's basically two averagely chunky Fenders.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

darkwasthenight posted:

Stupid Music poo poo is that I took my LPC into the warehouse today and it clocked at 15lbs on the scales, which is starting to turn practice into an endurance feat. Apparently weight relief hadn't caught on back then. Siivola rightly pointed out that's basically two averagely chunky Fenders.

Or roughly 1.5 averagely sized bass guitars to put it another way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Looks like a loving tight guitar. Im really considering having my Aria Pro II LPC copy refretted cuz it has fretless wonder style frets and I hate that poo poo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Huh, he plays left handed too. Neat.

That's part of why he went over the top when he got custom build money: being a lefty, he had almost no real options before going custom, so he didn't have an "almost what I want" starting point.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Embrace the weight. Neck lifts 2 sets 15 reps. Guitar loaded squats 5x5 reps.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

massive spider posted:

Embrace the weight. Neck lifts 2 sets 15 reps. Guitar loaded squats 5x5 reps.

Crabcore...good?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The set-neck Lotus I just got is a hair under 10 pounds and even with a nice, wide strap my lower back and shoulder starts to hurt after ~15 minutes. 15 pounds frightens me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My two "Les Paul"-esque guitars are an exercise in contrast.
  • My Larrivée RS-2 is like a hair below 7 pounds and is one of the comfiest guitars I've ever played in my life.
  • My Hagström Super Swede is around 12 pounds and you start noticing that your back/neck/shoulder is a lot less cooperative when it has those additional 5 pounds stashed around it.
I do love both guitars, though! The Larrivée is a swiss-army knife as far as capacity for sounds go and the Super Swede is probs the best guitar for sweet, silky smooth cleans I've ever gotten a hold of.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 30, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

How heavy is a Bigsby bridge?

The reason I ask is because I'm a Gibson man and I can heft all three of my Les Pauls around all day without any problems, but I recently got a Vintera telecaster with a Bigsby bridge and I swear it was fashioned from the heart of a dying star because it's an absolute shoulder breaker!

(note - I don't heft all 3 around at once because that would be silly)

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 31, 2021

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ten to twelve ounces, or about a third of a kilogram.

Are your Les Pauls weight relived? Gibson often chambers the bodies since it's so easy to hide it under the top. Fender hasn't really bothered, aside from the Thinline Telecaster.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 31, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Siivola posted:

Ten to twelve ounces, or about a third of a kilogram.

Are your Les Pauls weight relived? Gibson often chambers the bodies since it's so easy to hide it under the top. Fender hasn't really bothered, aside from the Thinline Telecaster.

My 2009 is definitely weight relieved as it's oddly light. My 2016 is a bit heftier, but probably still relieved. My old 90s Epiphone is a hefty beast, but that was back when they made them heavy. I think you're right though, because this tele is like carrying a butcher's block around my neck

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Dog_Meat posted:

My old 90s Epiphone is a hefty beast, but that was back when they made them heavy.

Epiphones from the 90s are ridiculous. I have a Sheraton II from 1995 and it has a baseball bat for a neck and is almost indestructible. If I were to play it live now, I would sit down with it because even in my 20s I would get a sore back playing and jumping around with it. A guy in my work had a newer Sheraton and it felt like balsa wood and I had the urge to handle it like a newborn baby.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dog_Meat posted:

My 2009 is definitely weight relieved as it's oddly light. My 2016 is a bit heftier, but probably still relieved. My old 90s Epiphone is a hefty beast, but that was back when they made them heavy. I think you're right though, because this tele is like carrying a butcher's block around my neck

They've been relieved in one form or other since the 80s.

1980-2006 'Swiss Cheese' traditional 9 hole relief
2006-2012 'Chambered'
2013-current 'Modern'

I think the only ones not relieved these days are the Traditional models but it's changed based on the series over the years. The Studio has gone between chambered and Swiss cheese. The Standard was non-relieved for a bit around 2019 and then became the Traditional, but it's hard to keep track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know my 2018 Classic is not weight relieved.

You can really feel the destructive back pain tones.