Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some Guy TT posted:

Help, I don't know anything about cars so I don't have any idea what they're trying to do.

I think the only car knowledge you need here is that car wheels go around, and the kid's got the handle of that ... lemonade maker (they've got a melting block of ice and what looks like a bag of sugar as well as some lemony looking things in the bucket) or whatever attached to the wheel, so when the wheel spins the crank turns as well.

Work smart, not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ah, I see. In this case it was my knowledge of traditional lemonade production methods that was deficient, rather than of cars. Context for snipe-

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If only they knew of the simplicity that is cordial.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think the only car knowledge you need here is that car wheels go around, and the kid's got the handle of that ... lemonade maker (they've got a melting block of ice and what looks like a bag of sugar as well as some lemony looking things in the bucket) or whatever attached to the wheel, so when the wheel spins the crank turns as well.

I didn't recognize the gadget at first but now that you've suggested that, I know what it is -- it's a hand-cranked (or, in this case, car-wheel-cranked) ice cream freezer.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 27, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some Guy TT posted:

Help, I don't know anything about cars so I don't have any idea what they're trying to do.

icecream churn it looks like. or maybe lemonade slushy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

We saw it, Bern. There was absolutely no tongue.
Obviously, Bernice does not actually know what "tongue" means in the context of a kiss, and is genuinely unsure if there was "tongue". :eng101:

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (June 6, 1918)

This is clearly an And He Died!.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 10, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 10, 1945)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? End of Part One!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (November 10, 1945)

Oh, Bootsie, you lovable old committer of sexual assaults!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 10, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 10, 1945)

Dornado, they were just talking about how many men Val killed in his rage and how Aleta was a sorceress

what do you think is going to happen

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

Woman has spent the day filling jars with preserved food and needs man to tighten the lids to make an airtight seal for storage, since as we all know women have feeble hands and wrists.

I think this is a bad read unless :thejoke:

Man comes home from hard day of work and still has work to do because Woman has also been working hard all day (perhaps harder) and ALSO still has a lot going on

If anything these strips always show women, mothers especially, as very strong and capable (though they make Boyz do chores, yes)

Also lol at the ice cream maker thing. Are they really so far out of public consciousness? We had an old one when I was little and used it occasionally for the novelty of it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "67 - Jucika, The Wild Rower"

"Jucika and the Foreigner"

"'Tolmács' means 'Interpreter'."

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Another thing going on in the 30 years too soon is the "Hey I've been cooking and canning all day can you help me finish the canning so I can make some supper for us? Food all day, need help finish food to do more food." Also "You get home and hungry, is lots of food NO EAT: close food." Also the "too soon" part is the wider spread availability of affordable and easy canned goods, which it's easy for us to forget are major labour saving products.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Bloop posted:

Also lol at the ice cream maker thing. Are they really so far out of public consciousness? We had an old one when I was little and used it occasionally for the novelty of it.

A lot of homemade ice cream makers have been run by electric motors for as long as I've been alive, and I am horribly, horribly old, so I'm willing to accept that people could conceivably have seen one without knowing that in the olden days they used to be powered by child labor.

Those who don't recognize one at all don't exactly fill me with that sad, mournful feeling for a dead world (not just yet, anyway), but they do make me wonder how many heads this Toonerville flew over.

Also, poor Shelley and the people who take her metaphors literally.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought the crank for the ice cream thing was a tire iron at first and was very confused as to what the kids were doing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zereth posted:

I thought the crank for the ice cream thing was a tire iron at first and was very confused as to what the kids were doing.

A tire iron you attach to the tire, then as you drive it automatically unscrews the lugs and takes your tire off saving you the effort and disrupting the tire removal industry. Ingenious! Coming to the Tesla XV series next year!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I thought it was a laundry churn.

Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

A lot of homemade ice cream makers have been run by electric motors for as long as I've been alive, and I am horribly, horribly old, so I'm willing to accept that people could conceivably have seen one without knowing that in the olden days they used to be powered by child labor.

There's very good documentary evidence of electric ice cream makers from the distant past:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just parsed the direction of the whole thing wrong and was trying to figure out what everything on the left could be that would have an effect on changing a flat tire.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 17, 1993)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me, An Idiot: Maybe Rane will finally experience some growth as a person after his dad threatened to kill him and his family fell apart in front of him.

Me, Putting Clown Makeup On

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Curtis you know what a cat is don't play me

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

*Duran Duran begins playing*

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Weembles posted:

There's very good documentary evidence of electric ice cream makers from the distant past:

Did they really name him “Willrow Hood”? :aaaaa:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The virgin Jeremy and the chad Chad

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gatto Grigio posted:

Did they really name him “Willrow Hood”? :aaaaa:

You bet they did.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: McClure knows there's nothing as cozy as an evening fire, or Cielito hasn't played enough stealth games to watch out for those kind of traps, or Possibly the most awkward diving tackle I've ever seen put to paper

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, geez. It totally went over my head that they retroactively claimed (via the Mandalorian show) that the ice cream maker he's seen with was a imperial storage container for valuables. That's hilarious.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry about the delay, work kicked my butt real hard today.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: computers, am I right? (July 23-29, 2001)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 7-9, 1936)

:eng101: Hot metal expands, leaving the rings on a canning jar seeming loose after processing. However, the lids aren't actually kept on using the rings--the heat melts the sealant on the rim of the actual lid to form a seal. The rings are only supposed to be tight enough to keep the lid on so that a seal can form, and should be loose enough to let air escape the jar. Re-tightening the rings after canning can cause the still-hot lid to come loose, breaking the seal. Instead, you should wait until the jars have cooled completely, remove the rings entirely, and test that the jars have sealed. Putting the rings back on is optional, and some people recommend leaving them off so that it's more obvious if something has gone wrong.

However, thanks to my great-grandmother, I know that a lot of old ladies never knew any of this and would tighten the poo poo out of the rings as soon as their jars wouldn't burn them.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I'm probably a broken record, but every time Mike gets happy about something his parents have to shoot him down. It's like clockwork. I can't really blame Mike for wanting to get the hell out of Dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Lynn Johnston's actual kids loving hate her and she continues to have no idea why despite reading all her old comic strips back so she can make edits to them