Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
oh at the same time can you make sure it's electronic with too many electronic safeties on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

they cost nothing, and at the same time they are worth nothing except maybe in scrap value because there's so much god drat metal in them

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yes, the one true medium format camera to get is a Mamiya Press Super 23. For one thing, it's better than a 680.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

hasselblad 500cm + standard lens + film back: 3.4 pounds

mamiya rz67 + standard lens + film back: 5.3 pounds or something

fuji gx680 + standard lens + film back: like 10 pounds

chamonix 45n2 + standard lens + 4x5 film holder: 5 pounds? whatever it's tiny and weighs nothing compared to the dump truck of a 680

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

hi i want a camera that is larger and heavier than a large format camera, but with less flexibility and also it takes like 14 aa batteries

Have you looked at the GX680? it doesn't take AA batteries, but it does take 3 x CR123A batteries, which look an awful lot like oompa-loompa AA batteries

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The GX680 is still bad and intended to be in a studio environment. It is not comparable to a RZ67

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's true, your average corner store is not going to have more than a pair of CR123A in stock, good luck with that!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Have you looked at the GX680? it doesn't take AA batteries, but it does take 3 x CR123A batteries, which look an awful lot like oompa-loompa AA batteries

They make it with an aa power pack that uses a billion aa batteries and it lasts for like a dozen rolls but at least aa’s are possible to buy and recharge so it is still the smart move vs the cr123’s.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My main use is going to photographing landscapes, nature, and buildings. I’m not big on portraits and I’m not going to be using it for any sort of studio use. I will be carrying it around with me with a tripod but I’d also like to get non-tripod shots if possible. It’s possible the Hasselblad might be a better option looking at weight?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

codo27 posted:

Here a few weeks ago or something looking at an upgrade over my T5i, 4k video being one of the things I was looking for. Seems like a lot of lower end Canon options have this cropping issue with 4k video.

Looking for a camera for work now, and again we want 4K but I have a little more budget. Can go about 2000-2500 CAD but that has to include accessories like tripod and SD card, and a boom mic but all that shouldn't be too much. Wont be any pros using it. What should I get?

Canon really isn't particularly good at video AFAIK, and especially not in their mid-range models - how invested are you in their system already? There's a lot of tradeoffs to be made for 4K video shooting on a replaceable lens camera though - if you're using it outside of a studio setting you're probably going to want IBIS (in-body image stabilization, or sensor stabilization) which restricts the choices severely. If you want 10-bit color or 4K 60fps that's also rather limiting. Some manufacturers have vastly better autofocus than others (e.g. Sony). On many cameras the recording time for 4K is thermally limited (as in the camera gets too hot after a while), which may be a consideration as well. Some cameras exhibit severe rolling shutter artifacts when recording 4K, which may be an issue if you do panning shots. If you're going to be recording in poor lighting some cameras have vastly better dynamic range and low light performance than others, and so on and so forth.

Overall I believe Panasonic, Sony and Fujifilm have the best video options, but I'm not too familiar with Panasonic's product range and while Sony has the best autofocus on the market, I'd say you get more for your money with Fuji in your budget range (consider for example the X-S10, which checks a lot of boxes). In general if you want something that looks great straight out of the camera it's hard to go wrong with Fuji. All of this assuming you're willing to consider switching systems, that is.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 18, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My main use is going to photographing landscapes, nature, and buildings. I’m not big on portraits and I’m not going to be using it for any sort of studio use. I will be carrying it around with me with a tripod but I’d also like to get non-tripod shots if possible. It’s possible the Hasselblad might be a better option looking at weight?

Yes. And if you hate it (unlikely), you will lose nothing if you resell. The thing I love the Hasselblads is the mechanical exposure calculator that is integrated in the lens. It's a work of art.

If you want a chick magnet, consider getting a TLR.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 19, 2021

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Alright! I ended up placing an order for a 501cm with an 80mm lens. Thanks for all the help!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

If you want a chick magnet, consider getting a TLR.

Tested and proven.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Its been a while since I've hunted for camera gear or really kept up with the gear market. But Ive had one too many missed focus shots on my 5D2 and I'm pretty loving over it. Came from a 7D and the image quality was a good step up but I miss quality autofocus and focus tracking. What's a good used replacement in the ball park $1k and under range?

What I'm seeing are:
5D3
a7R2
6D2
Maybe get lucky on a 5D4 or a7R3?

What's important to me?
Dynamic range.
Autofocus should be good enough to track a moving object. I don't need 1D performance but I do shoot mountain bikers and rally cars from time to time.
Frame rate is nice but not that important.

Im pretty invested in Canon lenses but I hear a lot of the new mirrorless stuff can be adapted to use with them like the Sony frames.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 26, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Canon mirrorless adapts EF seamlessly, AF performance might not be great unless go R6 though. You could look at R or Rp though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subject tracking on mirrorless is cheat mode regardless of manufacturer. I know the latest models are way outside your stated budget but if fast moving stuff is your priority it's really worth reading up on at least. They obliterate DSLR's.

I'm not a camera encyclopedia but older mirrorless are probably pretty good too, I just don't know how good/bad.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Canon mirrorless adapts EF seamlessly, AF performance might not be great unless go R6 though. You could look at R or Rp though.

The R looks like it's pretty good for the price. But if there's any way you can swing an R6 you will not regret it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The a7iii/a7riii don't have the nice sony real time tracking, but the a6100 does. In any case, adapting ef mount to sony e isn't the way to get greatly improved autofocus. Depending on your setup, a big part of the performance gains in switching to mirrorless might be new lenses.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Wanted to express how the Fuji 18 mm f2 is my favorite all time lens. It's my only lens currently. Last night I was scared I wouldn't be able to get good pictures. It was my first time using my camera in two months after weeks of photography ethics study. I didn't have a flash, or a zoom to get hyper details like the other photographers on the scene. But I ended up getting great photos and got consistently close. Eventually, when I have the money, I'll get a Fuji zoom but 28mm is my favorite all time lens look. I am in love. Autofocus can be a bitch at night though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Someone talk me out of (or validate) buying a Mamiya 6! I want a relatively sturdy and compact 120 camera for travel and this seems like the best option.

The Fuji GF670 is cool and newer and I like that it shoots 6x7 as well as 6x6 but they're so expensive and I agree with reviews that say the lens is a bit too clinical. The Makina 67 seems like a solid contender with its 2.8 lens but it looks quite bulky and fragile, although it's not battery dependant which is a plus.
I've handled the Mamiya 7 and it's just too big. External viewfinder attachments are a deal breaker and quite a cost premium over the 6.

My preferred focal length is 35mm and none of them cover it but at least there's the 28mm equivalent with the Mamiya. I've been shooting with a TLR so even though I'd generally prefer having a wider aspect ratio I think I can manage 6x6 as long as I have the different lenses.

Before anyone recommends a 645, I have a Fuji GS645S but the rangefinder has lag, the lens mount is pretty iffy and 645 doesn't quite get me to that medium format "look" so it's not ideal.

And on a completely unrelated note I bought some Ilford SFX without realizing I needed an IR filter to get the most out of it. What kind should I get and what's the cheapest?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cacator posted:

Someone talk me out of (or validate) buying a Mamiya 6! I want a relatively sturdy and compact 120 camera for travel and this seems like the best option.

The Fuji GF670 is cool and newer and I like that it shoots 6x7 as well as 6x6 but they're so expensive

Unless I’m thinking of the wrong camera, isn’t a Mamiya 6 like 2-3x the price of the Fuji GW670/680/690? I’m pretty sure you can still snag a GW690III for under $1000. That’d be my choice!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

frogbs posted:

Unless I’m thinking of the wrong camera, isn’t a Mamiya 6 like 2-3x the price of the Fuji GW670/680/690? I’m pretty sure you can still snag a GW690III for under $1000. That’d be my choice!

That's true and I did forget about those, the 690 is pretty affordable but 6x9 doesn't seem very cost effective. A 670 is more expensive (less than the Mamiya) but the bulk is off putting.

Edit: the GF670 is a different camera, a folder that was still being manufactured in the 21st century https://www.keh.com/shop/fuji-medium-format-gf670-80-f-3-5-711792.html

Cacator fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cacator posted:

That's true and I did forget about those, the 690 is pretty affordable but 6x9 doesn't seem very cost effective. A 670 is more expensive (less than the Mamiya) but the bulk is off putting.

Edit: the GF670 is a different camera, a folder that was still being manufactured in the 21st century https://www.keh.com/shop/fuji-medium-format-gf670-80-f-3-5-711792.html

Ohh yeah, I read GF as GW, sorry! Yeah the GF670 is very different, and quite more! Beautiful camera though. I believe they’re the same as the Voigtlander Bessa III, which I think is usually even more money, unfortunately.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Please help me Camera nerds. I'd like to pick up a Mirrorless camera to start my wife off - needs a view finder and a mid range. Budget of around 1000$ CAD

I'm torn between either the XT200 or the OM-D E-M10 MK IV also is now a bad time to buy mirrorless? Everything seems limited in stock and the used market seems dried up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Does it have to be an interchangeable lens system? I have an RX100m3, for example, and it’s a great all around camera.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

President Beep posted:

Does it have to be an interchangeable lens system? I have an RX100m3, for example, and it’s a great all around camera.

Probably for longevity sake; although that camera does look cool

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'd take the xt200. I'm not sure a new m10 iv justifies the price compared to older/used m43 models.

The xt200 was on sale for 500 usd before. I'm not saying it will be again, or could even be had for that used, but I thought I'd mention it.

In other recommendations, fuji (35mm xc) and panasonic (25mm f1.7) both have affordable standard primes (~50mm fullframe).

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

I'd take the xt200. I'm not sure a new m10 iv justifies the price compared to older/used m43 models.

The xt200 was on sale for 500 usd before. I'm not saying it will be again, or could even be had for that used, but I thought I'd mention it.

In other recommendations, fuji (35mm xc) and panasonic (25mm f1.7) both have affordable standard primes (~50mm fullframe).

Yeah I pulled the trigger on it before I read this - xt200 new for ~ 1200 CAD. Steep but it should last us forever.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

The Fuji GF670 is cool and newer and I like that it shoots 6x7 as well as 6x6 but they're so expensive and I agree with reviews that say the lens is a bit too clinical. The Makina 67 seems like a solid contender with its 2.8 lens but it looks quite bulky and fragile, although it's not battery dependant which is a plus.
I've handled the Mamiya 7 and it's just too big. External viewfinder attachments are a deal breaker and quite a cost premium over the 6.

My preferred focal length is 35mm and none of them cover it but at least there's the 28mm equivalent with the Mamiya. I've been shooting with a TLR so even though I'd generally prefer having a wider aspect ratio I think I can manage 6x6 as long as I have the different lenses.

Before anyone recommends a 645, I have a Fuji GS645S but the rangefinder has lag, the lens mount is pretty iffy and 645 doesn't quite get me to that medium format "look" so it's not ideal.

And on a completely unrelated note I bought some Ilford SFX without realizing I needed an IR filter to get the most out of it. What kind should I get and what's the cheapest?

Curses - in all my hemming and hawing I missed out on a Mamiya 6 + all lenses set on eBay that was nearly a grand cheaper than the other listings. Seemed to be purely cosmetic differences too. I reached out to Japan Camera Hunter to see if they could source me something a bit more affordable, has anyone tried them or have any idea what they charge for their services?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Expect to pay a large premium for JCH. Search around yourself using a Yahoo Auctions buying service like Buyee and you'll be better off imo. Shop around on the buying service too. I've only used Buyee and have been happy with them but others exist and may be cheaper to use. It'll be cheaper than JCH either way I'm sure.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Megabound posted:

Expect to pay a large premium for JCH. Search around yourself using a Yahoo Auctions buying service like Buyee and you'll be better off imo. Shop around on the buying service too. I've only used Buyee and have been happy with them but others exist and may be cheaper to use. It'll be cheaper than JCH either way I'm sure.

Thanks, slim pickings now but I was worried eBay was my only option. Too bad some of the lenses available are listed as "in bad condition overall".

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It pays to do creative search terms and mix it up. You also should pour over the photos. I've had good experiences in the past buying untested gear that looked good but that's no guarantee obviously. Good luck in your hunt! If you're after that form factor and don't want fixed lenses you might also want to expand the search to the Fujica GM670 and Pentax 67. Unless you specifically want a 66.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 1, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Or, if you want 6x6 and interchangeable lenses and don't mind an SLR then an Arax 60 is a choice you could make and have access to the excellent Pentacon 6 line of lenses of you were trying to avoid system cameras with waist level finders. Also heard very good things about the Super Fujica Six which has a coupled rangefinder and a stellar lens.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 1, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

All interesting options, but compactness for travel is a major factor for me so the SLRs are definite no goes although they might make for good self defence weapons. I've been hesitant about older folders because I can still see myself upgrading to a more expensive camera down the line anyways, but at least they're not dependent on electronics. I guess it won't hurt to research those a bit more.

Edit: JCH got back to me and admitted he'd be too expensive so that's fair

Cacator fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2021

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I don’t know how rare those cameras are where you are but I’ve seen dozens of Mamiya’s over the years in AU just out and about. From a quick look I see about 12 or so listings in the Victoria FB marketplace. I don’t know old film cameras well or medium format for that matter so I can’t tell you how great condition they are.

Perhaps you can find a AUSgoon broker? I’d offer to help but I don’t have the extra dosh lying around due to COVID lockdowns and what not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I went with the X-T30. Boy am I in over my head. Took me way too long just to get the strap attached, which I'm sure will cause heart palpitating anxiety every time I use it now because I wont trust it.

I know the Rebel line is for noobs like me but I wasn't expecting this much of a departure. Time to, as the old adage goes, RTFM

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is that every single camera functions the same. If you can set the aperture and exposure time you got enough to get by.

Avoid menu diving until you need something out of them.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I would check out the auto iso setting at least, it let's you set a range of isos the camera will pick from to meet a desired shutter speed (or is the 1/focal length rule if the minimum shutter speed is set to auto). For most handheld shooting this means you only need to pick your aperture.

You'll probably want to pick an appropriate focusing mode for your style of shooting too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

So I went with the X-T30. Boy am I in over my head. Took me way too long just to get the strap attached, which I'm sure will cause heart palpitating anxiety every time I use it now because I wont trust it.

I know the Rebel line is for noobs like me but I wasn't expecting this much of a departure. Time to, as the old adage goes, RTFM

I got an X-T3 about 8 months ago and so far I'll I've done with it is shoot baby photos with fixed f/2.8 and a fixed shutter speed, auto ISO, and also periodically shoot 4k video. Probably the most advanced stuff I've done with it so far is turn on the electronic shutter, and then some time lapse stuff (there's a drawbridge nearby)

No need to jump in the deep end just yet, the good news is that most every feature is tweakable when/if you get to that stage. My only complaint was that it produced kind of dark photos out of the box, but I was able to fix that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fools Infinite posted:

I would check out the auto iso setting at least, it let's you set a range of isos the camera will pick from to meet a desired shutter speed (or is the 1/focal length rule if the minimum shutter speed is set to auto). For most handheld shooting this means you only need to pick your aperture.

You'll probably want to pick an appropriate focusing mode for your style of shooting too.

Yeah the 3 auto ISO ranges is a great feature, I have one at 800 max for outdoor/daytime, 1 at 6400 max for children/animals/dusk and the third one at a million or whatever it is for maximum grain in the dark. I mapped a dedicated button to it on my X100.