Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katedog update: she seems very tired, but I brought up her water bowl and some teaspoons of yoghurt and pumpkin. She drank water but initially refused the food. After some belly rubs the patient’s condition improved and she ate the food (although in true greyhound fashion she was on her side so it was amazingly awkward).

She didn’t move a millimeter while I took a shower so I figured she might keep stuff down now. We went downstairs and she got a spoon fed breakfast (to limit how fast she ate it) of 1/2 cup of yoghurt.

Current status: yoghurt beard :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

david_a posted:

Katedog update: she seems very tired, but I brought up her water bowl and some teaspoons of yoghurt and pumpkin. She drank water but initially refused the food. After some belly rubs the patient’s condition improved and she ate the food (although in true greyhound fashion she was on her side so it was amazingly awkward).

She didn’t move a millimeter while I took a shower so I figured she might keep stuff down now. We went downstairs and she got a spoon fed breakfast (to limit how fast she ate it) of 1/2 cup of yoghurt.

EXTREMELY BLESSED POST

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

greyhounds are kinda pathetic-looking things at the best of times, a sick greyhound is very sad to look at :smith: so im real glad katie is starting to recover :unsmith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
We went to the vet to pick up her medications (which I’m not sure she actually needs now but whatever) and she was VERY interested in the office cat. She seems almost back to normal but since she hasn’t had a bowel movement in 24 hours I’m still withholding judgement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Katie's really rockin' that yogurt 'stache! :D I hope she continues to improve, over the next day or so

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

Sounds like she's perfected her 'extort breakfast in bed' technique. Good to hear she's on the mend, gastro stuff is always so hard to judge the severity of.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had gastroenteritis a couple years ago, not hemorrhagic but she got the big fluid bag which helped a ton

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

greyhounds are kinda pathetic-looking things at the best of times, a sick greyhound is very sad to look at :smith: so im real glad katie is starting to recover :unsmith:

Man I know what you mean. Our girl looks depressed 90% of the time and I haven’t figured if that’s just a her thing or she’s actually depressed.

Good to hear Katie is on the mend!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sous Chef Katie is extremely helpful and handssnoot-on in the kitchen, making sure I don’t skimp on quality. She was HIGHLY CRITICAL of the yoghurt-only diet yesterday, 2/5 Please Feed More

I made a big batch of ground beef & rice for the next few days.

She is back to normal behaviorally. She let me know (loudly) that the zoom call I was in for hours was Very Boring and Could You Please Pay Attention To Me Instead Please.

Her bowels are moving again but it’s a horror show so far. It was just blood & water Monday morning, so it’s mainly been foul tar.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

glad she's doing better, did the vet say pumpkin is okay? that always helped with Abby. my store has a powder form that you just mix with water

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

glad she's doing better, did the vet say pumpkin is okay? that always helped with Abby. my store has a powder form that you just mix with water

It didn’t come up, but canned pumpkin is pretty much part of her normal diet. I ended up buying a case of it at Aldi. It’s basically pure fiber so I don’t see how it can be harmful. I’ll be trying to transition to her normal diet over the next few days.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I love how quickly david_a has integrated to the greyhound ownership crew

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Hasn't he always been here? I could've sworn he's been here as long as the furniture... :D

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skoolmunkee posted:

:)

Major Isoor posted:

Hasn't he always been here? I could've sworn he's been here as long as the furniture... :D

I bookmarked & posted in the thread before I got Katie

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

To all the lurkers out there, you too could become one of us! For the low low price of one (1) weird deer, become part of the community that talks about bed fails, excessive tongue disease, and 40 mph couch potatoes!

We have a beehive in our back yard and sparty ran in front of the entrance. A bee must've flown into his mouth because he made a chomp in passing :cripes:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I would love to hear ownership tales from any goons with other large sight hounds too - Salukis, Afghans, Borzois, Scottish Deerhounds, Irish Wolfhounds… Maybe the occasional Whippet shenanigan but definitely not Italian Greyhounds (what even are those things).

Hearing what it’s like dealing with a 130 lb Irish Wolfhound with bowel troubles would probably make me happier about my life decisions…

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bonnie had gastro like i said - she refused food and water for like 2 days, until we boiled some chicken and beef bones for a few hours and gave her the broth. she drank the whole lot, and an hour later pooped out an endless stream of blood and water all over our back yard. it looked like an actual horror movie.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone used or know anything about Nationwide pet insurance?

I just switched to them for auto insurance, and I think pet insurance is something I would definitely do when I get my next greyhound

https://www.petinsurance.com/

I'm guessing the estimate for a 13.5 year old greyhound with multiple comorbidities would be pretty lol

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 27, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We looked into pet insurance for Watson, he was just 4 when we first got him and quotes were around $70 per month. Personally I believe that if you're okay budgeting than it makes more sense to self insure, but I also will probably never be willing to drop 15k on say cancer treatment for a pet (controversial, I know)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

We looked into pet insurance for Watson, he was just 4 when we first got him and quotes were around $70 per month. Personally I believe that if you're okay budgeting than it makes more sense to self insure, but I also will probably never be willing to drop 15k on say cancer treatment for a pet (controversial, I know)

thanks, for me it's more just avoiding any sort of catastrophic costs. I don't want to be in a situation where some major medical treatment is needed, but the cost would put me in financial peril.

looking at reviews they aren't very good, so I'm going to keep looking, or perhaps I should just ask my vet.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The Wirecutter had an article on pet insurance that I found helpful, but yeah the consensus seemed to be that it either sucked or was too expensive. Your local vet might be part of a network, could be worth asking about.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I would love to hear ownership tales from any goons with other large sight hounds too - Salukis, Afghans, Borzois, Scottish Deerhounds, Irish Wolfhounds… Maybe the occasional Whippet shenanigan but definitely not Italian Greyhounds (what even are those things).

Hearing what it’s like dealing with a 130 lb Irish Wolfhound with bowel troubles would probably make me happier about my life decisions…

A friend of mine has two deerhounds, and another has a wolfhound.

The wolfhound was quite sick a while back and struggled to get up. This is when the friend discovered that they actually need a plan to get the dog in the car safely. Last I heard, they're installing a wheelchair-lift type thing in their car, but it doesn't solve having to haul this huge dog to the car.

He looks kinda small in this picture, but he's easily twice Gello's size and weight.

With the deerhounds, they're kinda small enough that they're just really big greyhounds and much easier to manage. That said, when one jumps on you, you definitely notice.

Finally, we also walk a lot with an iggy. They're weird alien dogs, but this one is tough as nails and can hike with the best of them. She spends most of her time jumping from rock to rock and it's great to see someone treating an iggy like an actual dog and not a toy.

One of the best things knowing people involved in sighthound rescue is that we walk with a lot of different sighthounds.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Wow, I've never seen an Italian greyhound that wasn't trembling with its ears back and tail between its legs, good job to those owners

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

maybe it's just perspective, but that looks closer to whippet size to me

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

She's tiny. I think it's the fact that her skull is more whippet shaped than some of the bulgy forehead iggys

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Radiation Cow posted:

sighthound stuff

This is great. Is there any, like, secret sighthound bond between the different varieties? They seem like they would have enough behavioral similarities that they would be more comfortable with each other than something like a hyper lab or border collie.

number 1 snake fan posted:

Wow, I've never seen an Italian greyhound that wasn't trembling with its ears back and tail between its legs, good job to those owners

Same

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

This is great. Is there any, like, secret sighthound bond between the different varieties? They seem like they would have enough behavioral similarities that they would be more comfortable with each other than something like a hyper lab or border collie.
We used to call Bonnie a “sight supremacist” because she got on so much better with her fellow sighthounds and long bois than other breeds of dog

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
[quote="Radiation Cow" post="515039545"]

Jim Henson up in Heaven making Dogs

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hello, is Mr Meowser home? No? Ok, I’ll come again later

We always have to check. Yesterday he was home, which was exciting for all three of us!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

So glad she’s doing better! I know how scary it can be when your pup is that sick.

The Roo had a dental today and she handled it like a rockstar. No extractions either :toot: Her first dental after I got her she ended up having massive blow-out diarrhea the next day, but hasn’t had it happen since then. Here’s hoping this time is smooth sailing too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I get the same thoughts. I would like to spend more time with whippets, see how they compare to Greys.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

The Wirecutter had an article on pet insurance that I found helpful, but yeah the consensus seemed to be that it either sucked or was too expensive. Your local vet might be part of a network, could be worth asking about.

If you're disciplined you can save up several grand over the course of a few years. That $70/month translates to $840 in just one year alone. It can serve double duty as your emergency buffer in case you lose a job or have a huge unplanned expense like something expensive in your house or car breaks.

It's honestly a great mental relief and pays for itself just in reduced anxiety

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

RE: pet insurance talk

I haven't researched options in like ten years so I'm not sure what kind of plans are out there these days, but I did work as a surgical assistant for a veterinary surgical practice for a long time so I know firsthand what emergency (and non-emergency) surgery/ER costs can run. I am very fortunate that I have enough of a cash buffer these days that I can pretty much cover any unexpected large vet bill, but--and this is going to sound strange---if I had another breed other than a greyhound, I probably would get insurance.

Here's my reasoning: one of the qualities about greyhounds, and sighthounds in general, that drew me to them is that they are mostly orthopedically sound. The most common orthopedic injury for dogs is by far the cranial cruciate ligament tear (analogous to the ACL in humans). My boss liked to say that we've managed to breed dogs with better hips, but knees seem to be getting worse.

For a CrCL tear, treatment options are :

1. medical management, basically rest and pain meds for a month or two (this is really only effective if it's a partial tear, and moot if it turns into a full tear down the road)
2. surgery.

There are a handful of surgical options for treating CrCL tears. For small dogs, you can usually get away with the tightrope technique, which is the cheapest (but still typically $2k-$3). The most popular and arguably most effective surgical option out there is the tibial plateau levelling osteotomy, or TPLO (it's nuts, go look it up, it basically involves deliberately fracturing the top of the tibia, then rotating it and securing it back in place with a bone plate and screws). Now, the cost of a TPLO for just one knee can range anywhere from $3500 - $5500 depending on the geographic location and the size of the dog (bigger dog = bigger plate and stronger screws), but 40% of dogs who tear one side will eventually tear the other side (we saw a lot of dogs who come in for their 8 week post-op x-rays and are already holding up the other leg.) So, you're looking at $10K+ for just knees lol. My brother is actually dealing with that right now with his pit mix, who is already missing a front leg and has partial tears in both knees.

Sighthounds, on the whole, never get CrCL tears. Anecdotally, I've assisted on over a thousand TPLOs, and we had one saluki (and that was a big deal, all of the surgeons was fascinated that it could happen in the first place.) Realistically, the most expensive bill I will probably face with Rory is if/when she develops osteosarcoma, in which case I will likely amputate but forgo chemo. There is always the chance of a traumatic injury obviously, like getting hit by a car and facing multiple fractures and an extended ER stay, but the likelihood of that happening is low enough that I'm willing to take that risk.

Anyway, that's an awful lot of words and only like 30% of them have to do with greyhounds, but the TLDR is basically, if I had a non-greyhound, I would seriously consider pet insurance if the out-of-pocket cost is less than $1000 a year or so, otherwise I wouldn't.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Double post for

SPARTY TIME

EXCELLENT!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I honestly didn’t think she would fit in this chair. Lucy stole her bed so Katie stole her chair; it’s only fair

On our bedtime walk yesterday she saw some horses for the first time. VERY scary, what even are those giant things, I better constantly look back to make sure they don’t follow us back to the house. Are they going to come through the door? I better stand here and check for a while.

Looking forward to seeing how she reacts to them in the daytime!

Unfortunately she’s also picked up a bad habit while she was sick. I would get up and take her outside at any horrible hour while she was ill, but I think she has started abusing this. We went outside at 6 today for seemingly no reason. That wakes up Lucy too and then it’s impossible to get Katie settled again; it was just whine central when we tried to go back to sleep.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Three things:

1. I’m so glad that she’s continuously getting better

2. I am jealous that you live somewhere where you pass by horses while out on a walk on a regular basis

3. I wouldn’t worry too much about her outside routine being off. She’s probably still thrown off from being sick and will fall back into it. Rory”s dumbass are a dead bunny that was out in our yard a year or two ago (I don’t think she was the one who killed it, pretty sure it was dropped by an owl or a hawk) and she had the squirts for about a week. I was having to get up and let her out every hour while she was sorting that out, and even after the diarrhea passed she was still begging to be let out at all hours for another few days, but she got over that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
We are at my parents for the weekend. Katie would probably like to live here because zooming around the goat paddock is super swell.

Preview for later when I have time to upload videos:

“What’s up with your dog dude”

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hello

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Why is there a deer in your house? (Hello Abby!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she's finally getting used to the bed, she even went on it in the middle of the day today for the first time

I have to be a bit careful though, I can't give her access when I'm gone because there's a risk she tries to jump on my bed again