Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know this is not helpful but I’ve never heard of carvx or had a targeted ad, and I have lots of jdm cars. my entire IG is only jdm buys and I have never heard of it not saying it is t awesome just makes me wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

everdave posted:

I know this is not helpful but I’ve never heard of carvx or had a targeted ad, and I have lots of jdm cars. my entire IG is only jdm buys and I have never heard of it not saying it is t awesome just makes me wonder

Oh, they weren't targeted ads. Just various comments and such.

I'm mostly just curious to see what, if anything comes back on it. I've driven it for two+ years already so I have a decent idea of what's already wrong with it. I've got the shipping papers from the dealer so I know what they valued the truck at auction, but I'd love to see the auction sheet at the very least.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beanzor posted:

Oh, they weren't targeted ads. Just various comments and such.

I'm mostly just curious to see what, if anything comes back on it. I've driven it for two+ years already so I have a decent idea of what's already wrong with it. I've got the shipping papers from the dealer so I know what they valued the truck at auction, but I'd love to see the auction sheet at the very least.

If it’s your daily give it a try! But if you have been driving it 2 years seems good. I’ve never had any buyer contact me and be upset but i buy low like stuff and bend over backwards to point out anything wrong. Im sure Kaker has a better informed opinion and lots of words to say I’m a dumbass but he blocked me on IG and I buy way more cats than him

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Welp, carvx don't mess around. Pretty quick turnaround. It's not a ton of new information, but one thing certainly stands out.

Huh...

History seems fairly regular.

Maybe all vehicles from Miyagi prefecture have that contaminated box checked?

Not sure how it was graded 3.5 with the rust and corrosion spots it has, and the exhaust pipe that actually fell off after a few months of driving...

This is like getting pictures of your puppy or something.

Overall, not 100% disappointed with the report. Might be a bit more exciting history if it were something other than a low-mileage kei truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What port did you bring it in? All containers get scanned for radiation, although they've all been upgraded in the past few years, maybe after you'd brought it over. They're also looking for weapons stuff. Physics goons more knowledgeable, would that be picked up too? I'm sure there have been some countermeasures to track stuff from that area too.

I know transfer stations pick up on iodine treatments for hyperthyroidism and you have to hold stuff that's been exposed for 90 days or something.

But I honestly doubt it's a problem.

Edit: oh wait it came on roro and not containers right? No idea 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 28, 2021

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

Charles posted:

What port did you bring it in? All containers get scanned for radiation, although they've all been upgraded in the past few years, maybe after you'd brought it over. They're also looking for weapons stuff. Physics goons more knowledgeable, would that be picked up too? I'm sure there have been some countermeasures to track stuff from that area too.

I know transfer stations pick up on iodine treatments for hyperthyroidism and you have to hold stuff that's been exposed for 90 days or something.

But I honestly doubt it's a problem.

This one came in through Tacoma in 2018.

Personally, I'm not at all worried about it. Based on the Lawson receipts I found in the ash tray and under the floor mats when I bought it, I know that it spent time in Misato city, which is essentially the far edge of the outermost circle of the contaminated zone. I'm sure I've been dosed with higher amounts of radiation during air travel than what this thing is probably putting out.

Guess I can add a radioactive sticker to it sometime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we just back up a bit here?

People are lusting after Del Sols? What in the actual gently caress. Is that why they've doubled in price?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Some of mine will have a Japanese radiation scan paper in them if they are coming from certain regions

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Can we just back up a bit here?

People are lusting after Del Sols? What in the actual gently caress. Is that why they've doubled in price?

:thunk:
Hello welcome to the JDM thread. Also, people like CRXs too!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I think CRXs are dope but I'm glad I didnt buy the Del Sol I was looking at. It was mint and definitely quirky (uniqueness was high up on my desirability list for this summer car I wanted), but I still can't shake the thought that its just a targa top civic. I love the late 80s/90s Honda experimental era, but the Del Sol is still a bit of a miss for me. Sometimes I can convince myself they're cool but usually they just look... I dunno, try hard? Like Honda tried to make a Porsche or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I think CRXs are dope but I'm glad I didnt buy the Del Sol I was looking at. It was mint and definitely quirky (uniqueness was high up on my desirability list for this summer car I wanted), but I still can't shake the thought that its just a targa top civic. I love the late 80s/90s Honda experimental era, but the Del Sol is still a bit of a miss for me. Sometimes I can convince myself they're cool but usually they just look... I dunno, try hard? Like Honda tried to make a Porsche or something.

I'd argue that's what makes them so keenly desirable, it is just a targa top Civic, slotted directly into the best part of the 90s. The Sera is the same ethos, it's just a Tercel with cool doors. You get all of the reasons why people like the cars themselves plus a great gimmick feature.

Beanzor posted:

Welp, carvx don't mess around. Pretty quick turnaround. It's not a ton of new information, but one thing certainly stands out.

Huh...

History seems fairly regular.

Maybe all vehicles from Miyagi prefecture have that contaminated box checked?

Not sure how it was graded 3.5 with the rust and corrosion spots it has, and the exhaust pipe that actually fell off after a few months of driving...

This is like getting pictures of your puppy or something.

Overall, not 100% disappointed with the report. Might be a bit more exciting history if it were something other than a low-mileage kei truck.

Missed this earlier but this is pretty great. It really looks like a JDM Carfax!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Delorence Fickle posted:

:stare:

Reading some of his posts, it seems like Duncan and Japanese Classics went after him with takedown notices on some of his posts for exposing their shenanigans.

I'm sorry, on what basis are they asking they be taken down? It's no longer their vehicle, the now-owner can ask/allow Free Spirit to do whatever they want. None of that poo poo is confidential information, and it's not libel if it's true.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thing is they'll probably advertise it as such, because once there's no actual GTRs left to sell there will be buyers looking for the next best thing and with plenty of GTs available why not. It won't cost as much as a real GTR (hyperbole on my part there) but the price will still be ridiculous I'm sure.

Same thing happened with the muscle cars, clones were pretty common. My dad had a 442 convertible clone made out of a regular Cutlass for a few years, nobody knew the difference. And a neighbor of mine back in 90's made a GTO clone out of a 1970 LeMans, it was pretty drat accurate except for the engine and drivetrain, unless you looked under the hood and knew what you were looking at you'd never know the difference. He just painted it orange, put a wing on the trunk and the decals on. Bucket seats, etc.

I'm absolutely putting the W-25 hood and W-35 wing on my '70 Cutlass, but it won't have any 442 badging. Both of those were factory or dealer options anyway.

monsterzero posted:

We've been there for 20 years. Lotta Corolla SR5s out there getting called hachi-roku

In the US, they *are* hachi-rokus. Let me show you the chassis tag for my '87 SR5.

It's not a GTS-16, of course. AE85s don't exist in the USDM.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Hearing that del sols are inflating is a real bummer. Please let teenagers buy those cars no amount of money will make the targas not leak and they weigh more than every other civic model including the sedan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nmagness posted:

Hearing that del sols are inflating is a real bummer. Please let teenagers buy those cars no amount of money will make the targas not leak and they weigh more than every other civic model including the sedan.

Pretty much all of them here got turned into weird show cars and then destroyed. For awhile, every second Honda I'd see in the junkyard was a del Sol with a hand-spraypainted dashboard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a very clean "show car" Del Sol that shows up to cars and coffee sometimes. Dudes a Honda guy and has a few neat civics and a beat rear end crx. I've known three other guys with Del Sols and all three cars smelled moldy, leaking seals are just part of the life I guess?

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Rhyno posted:

There's a very clean "show car" Del Sol that shows up to cars and coffee sometimes. Dudes a Honda guy and has a few neat civics and a beat rear end crx. I've known three other guys with Del Sols and all three cars smelled moldy, leaking seals are just part of the life I guess?
Yeah it's just a poor design, trying to make the door window seal along the windshield frame and the targa top. Sitting still is ok but highway wind and wiggle will get drops coming in. All this being said I would flip my lid to see a working JDM exclusive TransTop model.
https://youtu.be/X4LJAbGMnGM

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

:cool:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Looks like Japanese Classics are sinking fast, in this day and age you can’t just lie about stuff. I feel like I get the short end of the stick often and sell things for way less than I should but I always try to bend over backwards being honest.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Darchangel posted:

In the US, they *are* hachi-rokus. Let me show you the chassis tag for my '87 SR5.

It's not a GTS-16, of course. AE85s don't exist in the USDM.

Hell yeah. Got a keepsake from my donor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sockington posted:

Hell yeah. Got a keepsake from my donor.

I made stickers for mine:

If it were painted better, I'd put them on the doors - supposedly my little craft cutter can do 10' long sheets...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sold the Jimny. Every Jimny we've had has gone to Puerto Rico save for one, which went to Miami to a guy from Puerto Rico. This time a couple from Kansas bought a Jimny. To send it to Saint Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. The fate of all Jimnys it seems is to end up in the Caribbean (or close to it)

Both Hiluxes are now sorted, save for me waiting on the front lower fascia (that you can see is currently dented to hell), antenna and rear wheel caps for the white one. The gray one is a 1988, the white one is a 1991. Both double cabs, both 5 speed manual, NA diesels. The white one is such a better truck though, christ. They are light-years apart in livability even though 3 years separate them. But the gray 88 has stripes. Both have their original steel wheels with the same size KO2s on em' as well because of course they would.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

1996 Mitsubishi Delica, less than 48k miles, can’t get here til August hopefully the market is still cooking. Grade 4, paid a lot but still surprised I won, maybe caught some people sleeping after the Japanese holiday. Not a lot up tonight.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's the turbo MR2 (SW20) market like for import costs all in? I see a lot of them being listed here already for 15-20k. Not sure how much I'd save if I were to get serious about bringing one in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:hmmyes:

Depends on what you want. Japan got the 3rd generation 3S-GTEs. Third gen is when the HPs went to 240~ HP for Japan, USA stuck with the original 200. Most Japanese models seem to be slicktops as well. Free LSD on turbo models from 1993 onward.

It won't be any cheaper at all than a US-market one, but it WILL be better. I haven't kept up with SW20 turbo prices at auction since we had ours, but expect 12-15k for a good one, north of 20k for a fantastic one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

US ones have gotten to silly money it seems, like everything else recently. I'll have to read up and look into more later. Thanks.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
wish i could sell mine to some american rube for 20 grand

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yours always has me thinking about buying one. :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Thanks haha

Looking at goo net for mr2 prices has shocked me. I'd be lucky to get 7 grand here for mine.

Edit: for the price some of these cars are going for I could Import an S15 or a low mileage GT86

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 19, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

everdave posted:

Looks like Japanese Classics are sinking fast, in this day and age you can’t just lie about stuff. I feel like I get the short end of the stick often and sell things for way less than I should but I always try to bend over backwards being honest.

There is a ton of Yikes stuff over here too
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557167494478023/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sold the WagonR, and with that I think we might be done with kei vehicles unless something truly unique and amazing comes around. Maybe Beats and Cappuccinos but AZ-1s are just too expensive to compete with now. Kei trucks are low margin yet take up just as much time and money to prep for sale, plus having to compete against everyone ELSE doing kei trucks because it's the easiest and cheapest way into JDM. Kei vans suffer from the same fate. A single Land Cruiser takes up marginally more time and money to deal with in order to sell, but the margins mean it takes the place of maybe 3-6 keis. Keis, just not worth it from our business standpoint since we don't dare try to operate on volume. If we did that we couldn't be ~bespoke~.

Took a significant deposit down on our white 1991 Hilux pickup. Still waiting on the antenna to be shipped, but did already replace that dinged-up valance using the last one that partsouq had and put on the rear wheel center caps:

Now it's washed, polished and waxed, and of course already took care of the wheels and tires. Going to still go through the motions and take the pictures and make the listing we'd normally do because lots of people will write us asking about previous vehicles we've sold. Guy is going to pay full price and is stoked to get a Hilux of his own. It's stupid how expensive these trucks are now, but I do understand the desire to have them.

Our beloved Prado has an issue where the clutch won't always pop back up after pressing it in, especially if you go very slowly. Already changed the fluid, didn't seem to make much of a difference. Went underneath and peeled back the boot to see the little plunger in action as my wife pressed the clutch in, you can watch it stick. Secondary cylinder is on order from the UAE, $50 bucks total including shipping.

In the mean time we've been driving our Hilux Surf, what a fantastic vehicle, if a bit boring for us.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Keis are fine for Japan's automotive Galapagos, but owning and driving one in the US seems rather masochistic given the costs of petrol and rego (negligible).

track day bro! posted:

Thanks haha

Looking at goo net for mr2 prices has shocked me. I'd be lucky to get 7 grand here for mine.

Edit: for the price some of these cars are going for I could Import an S15 or a low mileage GT86

If it's like goobike the prices are not really indicative of IRL value. When I was shopping bikes in Japan the goobike price was always quite high vs the actual market price, think it may have been factoring export duties in or something. Yahoo Auctions is a better barometer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, seat sides sunk and covers installed, interior dirty, undercarriage surface rust, crack in windshield, other dents scratches surface rust and corrosion

Inspection Report posted:

-30444- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 99,000km, slight sludge in oil, coolant level ok but slightly dirty, valve cover area slightly oily, tires worn and cracks, spare old, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage surface rust only, door bottom/door frames surface rust and corrosion but not serious, hood faded, windshield crack is 1cm bullseye with legs total around 2cm, drivers seat torn and taped 30cm or so, passenger seat/rear seats appear ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, right front corner bulb out, power steering ok, wipers ok,

1994 Land Cruiser Prado KZJ71. It's the lowest trim model, it's single-stage white, it's 5 speed manual, and of course turbo diesel. 143,000 km or 89,000~ miles. Quite good shape, that 'faded' hood will be polished to a nice shine, those wheels will be refinished and the tires replaced. The torn seat we'll see about, otherwise it's a good, clean shorty Prado. Wish there was something else to say about it but eh. The important thing here to note is that first-gen Prados rule and they always sell well.

Having it sent to have the windshield replaced while still in Japan. Repairs no, replacement yes.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
everdave, just saw your post on IG, come brag about your soon to be internet famous car!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dphi posted:

everdave, just saw your post on IG, come brag about your soon to be internet famous car!

Hey cool thanks!

The video will go live June 1 so I will post a link and details about the experience in depth then.

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 25, 2021

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Whatup Kaker, we're Surf buddies now! :hfive:

^^ I could sell this tool roll for a pretty penny

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What is the realistic chance of finding a clean base model 02-05 Subaru Forester with an automatic?

Between the cost of paint, new panels, and other miscellaneous items, it’s really making me consider LHD swapping my XT components into a clean chassis and converting it to LHD since I have a donor. :)

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
After a month long shipping delay we finally took delivery of the 2 Carrys yesterday. The 94 in the background is destined to be a hardware store/nursery beater but as soon as we can get the titling and registration sorted (which has been a minor nightmare because Texas is determined to handle everything covid related in the dumbest way possible) the 95 will be going up for sale. I gave it a super quick wash to clear off the shipping grime but aside from that this is how it was delivered:

There's a tiny ding on the passenger rear corner, some fading of the bumper and a bit of staining on the front and passenger side from dirty water that a quick detail will take care of but other than that this thing is mint inside and out. I didn't feel like crawling around on hot concrete for pics but even the underside is bright white and clean.

I'll probably hit up that instagram account and see if they can dig up some history because I've been racking my brain to try and imagine the scenario where a barebones, no option kei truck only has ~800 miles put on it in 26 years while also showing evidence of regular maintenance and no signs of it ever even being outside in it's life. My terrible phone photos don't do it justice. Aside from the bumper fade it looks like it was assembled last week.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Hot dang, those are clean as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sockington posted:

What is the realistic chance of finding a clean base model 02-05 Subaru Forester with an automatic?

Between the cost of paint, new panels, and other miscellaneous items, it’s really making me consider LHD swapping my XT components into a clean chassis and converting it to LHD since I have a donor. :)

Extremely likely if you are in Canada, US obviously can’t buy beyond 96/97 right now. There was a crazy low mile auto wagon up last night. Autos seem more common there…but I don’t watch the Subarus too closely