Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Had a teaching game against the gloomspite troggherd list and yeah they had like five command points by the time our forces actually came into contact.

Likewise my Soulblight were constantly starved so I'm seeing the benefit of that one Vyrkos trait that lets you use a CA for free each turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Had a teaching game against the gloomspite troggherd list and yeah they had like five command points by the time our forces actually came into contact.

Likewise my Soulblight were constantly starved so I'm seeing the benefit of that one Vyrkos trait that lets you use a CA for free each turn.

How did the troggs do?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc9xLun_bg8

I got it yesterday on Steam and decided to check it for a little bit and ended up playing for more than 12 missions. My first impression is that is quite a fun game, but I'm starting to see some issues with the UX mostly... they don't matter much right now, we'll see how they are later in the starter campaign or in the other campaigns.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The trailer makes me think "mobile game shovelware". Just a couple frames of actual gameplay shown and the rest is pretty looking videos involving the characters.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gloomspite Gitz generates a ton of CP but they also rely on using them constantly just to function properly because they went a bit overboard on making it "the RNG army" and you are constantly dealing with stuff like your cavalry unit only moving 2 inches because their movement is 2d6.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

The trailer makes me think "mobile game shovelware". Just a couple frames of actual gameplay shown and the rest is pretty looking videos involving the characters.
Agreed, they haven't done a very good job at advertising. One of the people doing a Let's Play of this actually called it a rogue-like game and I can see it definitely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRpEh0FGcA

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

How did the troggs do?

Ended a turn early due to circumstances, killed a *lot* of skeletons and they won on objectives, of all things.

Did a custom scenario with table-quarters and three objectives, one in the center, two in the middle of the non-player quarters, tried to get some early points by putting my gravesites next to the objectives and plopping down a unit of skeletons and (sigh) black knights on two of them.

Black knights are, unsurprisingly, bad and quickly got overwhelmed by squigs and a shaman's orbital moon cannon. Some Rockguts and the Troggboss got on the second objective and blocked it off. Skeletons on the third objective took an aleguzzler gargant to the face like a champ and took it down with the vampire CA.

Fighting over objectives was a real case of two immovable objects wearing eachother down. Troggoths would kill like 9 skeletons after deathless minions, get about 5 of those back when chosen to attack, have the troggoths save or shrug most of their damage, then roll low on the battleshock and get d3+3 models back next turn.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Talas posted:

Agreed, they haven't done a very good job at advertising. One of the people doing a Let's Play of this actually called it a rogue-like game and I can see it definitely:

Yeah apparently once one of your unit dies it's gone for the whole campaign. You earn a few after missions but once they're gone, they're gone. Which adds a strategic layer I think and that's pretty good.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Stormground seems like a 7 out of 10 game which is what I expected and not necessarily a bad thing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Due to melee combat being a bigger part of the game (because of generally less shooting) the melee phase takes a much larger role. Some stuff to look out for:
1.good choke points can be vital, as it can keep your opponent from piling in too much. Just be careful you dont do the same to yourself.
2.On a 32 mm base thats usually going to be one rank. 28 mm you can usually get 2 ranks in.
3. You don't need to go base to base and that's important. Its tempting to shove all your stuff in but as long as you're within 1" you dont need to move in and sometimes its advantageous to leave yourself some room to maneuver, like if you need to swing around a model. Don't make base to base contact until you feel comfortable standing your ground.
I'm not going to justify it, because theres a lot of reasons to hate it. However since you play S2D, remember Archaon has a power to really gently caress with the flow of things.
Yeah, the not neccesarily going first when you charge adds a layer of strategy when its not wise to charge. Its a part I like.
I'd say he's exxagerating. There are armies that can generate a lot of CP, but stormcast aren't one of em. Many armies have powers and relics to generate bonus cp, but you're rarely holding onto more than a handful each turn. Gloomspite Gitz can generate them in large numbers thoufg. Its fine, they tend to be more game changing than 40ks stratagems so while it might seem to be fewer they go a lot further.

Dont forget you can get a bonus cp for using a battalion and also buy one for 50 points. I consider that a steal and try and do it on most of my lists. CP is supposedly getting an overhaul in the new edition, we'll see soon enough.

Thank you for all the advice - very interesting!

Ref base sizes, is there some kind of resource for what should have what size base? Some discussion was had last night on whether my marauder proxies (a load of Warcry models) were gaining any advantage from many being on smaller bases - that's probably right, and also their varying base sizes in the unit are annoying me, so I might change them.

Ref Archaon, that is good to know, but TBH I don't love him as a special character, I find the model insanely busy and over-the-top, and in any game I just don't love taking a huge dominant centrepiece model which my whole army revolves around.

One more question about how the AOS rules work - my friend was adamant that unlike in 40k, weapon damage 'rolls over' onto multiple models. So if I strike a unit of 1W models with a D3 weapon, and they fail the save, it kills 3 models. Can that be right? Seems bizarre to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yep that's exactly how it works. The whole unit catches any spillover damage. Makes big, multi-damage hits absolutely brutal. It's actually one of my favorite things about AoS.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In 40k it felt like a weird kind of niche protection for power armored models.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Genghis Cohen posted:

Ref base sizes, is there some kind of resource for what should have what size base? Some discussion was had last night on whether my marauder proxies (a load of Warcry models) were gaining any advantage from many being on smaller bases - that's probably right, and also their varying base sizes in the unit are annoying me, so I might change them.

Here are the base sizes -

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ba618db2.pdf

Genghis Cohen posted:

One more question about how the AOS rules work - my friend was adamant that unlike in 40k, weapon damage 'rolls over' onto multiple models. So if I strike a unit of 1W models with a D3 weapon, and they fail the save, it kills 3 models. Can that be right? Seems bizarre to me.

You do, wound allocation is different than 40k.

From the FAQ, if it clears things up a bit:

"When attacking a unit with multiple models, wounds must be allocated to a single model until it is dead
(or there are no more wounds left to allocate) before allocating any remaining wounds to another model. This includes wounds caused by all subsequent attacks against the unit, with the intention being that a unit will never have more than one wounded model."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/59NHG8W0rPt92WyK.pdf

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Marauders are on the smallest base size already so no worries there.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

This is a very useful resource but (as I have sadly learned like 2 pages ago) it's not up to date for at least the Death/Soulblight stuff (as I know Blood Knights are on 75mm ovals now)

I don't know other armies though

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thank you all for the answers on damage and base sizes.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Surprisingly small bases! Which is just what you want for a horde unit I guess.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Edit: I'm the one that's :wrong:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
on the subject of command points, the current rumour is that there will be a lot more CP generation in 3.0 for all armies, so if that's something you want to see you may enjoy the new edition!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm wondering how it's going to effect Bonereapers since they don't really use Command Points at all.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

So double turn is almost surely going away, right

...right

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Froghammer posted:

So double turn is almost surely going away, right

...right

Explicitly not

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

In Age of Sigmar 3, if you press Up and Start during your double turn, you can unlock the secret Chaos Dwarfs faction to fight after your current battle.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Explicitly not

Dear god, really?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Talas posted:

It's absolutely a Roguelike XCOM-like.

Units stay dead if they die, and if your main character dies you have to start the campaign over keeping some of what you earned, but with a completely different map layout and mission-flow.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. My only real complaint is you can only have one campaign going at a time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is anything confirmed about AoS3 rules yet?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Devorum posted:

It's absolutely a Roguelike XCOM-like.

Units stay dead if they die, and if your main character dies you have to start the campaign over keeping some of what you earned, but with a completely different map layout and mission-flow.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. My only real complaint is you can only have one campaign going at a time.

I haven't played it myself yet (my unplayed video game stash is even larger than my unpainted mini stash) but I've watched a few friends play. It seems nice, and more like a "Path to Glory" type of campaign which I think works fine for this. No doubt they'll release DLC for extra factions (the absence of Destruction is ridiculous).

But on the topic of video games, I wonder why they never released a proper digital version of any Warhammer (AoS or 40K). I mean the actual war game, where you'd play by the same rules. They could even have a freemium model where if you play for free you only get like basic Stormcast units, and if you spend a little money you get more units or factions. Basically milk the video gamers like they milk the hobby. I don't think it would prevent people from playing the war game, in fact it could bring more people in. And it'd be a great way to try new lists and strategies etc. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I mean they did Blood Bowl in the past, why not do AoS?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Furism posted:

I haven't played it myself yet (my unplayed video game stash is even larger than my unpainted mini stash) but I've watched a few friends play. It seems nice, and more like a "Path to Glory" type of campaign which I think works fine for this. No doubt they'll release DLC for extra factions (the absence of Destruction is ridiculous).

But on the topic of video games, I wonder why they never released a proper digital version of any Warhammer (AoS or 40K). I mean the actual war game, where you'd play by the same rules. They could even have a freemium model where if you play for free you only get like basic Stormcast units, and if you spend a little money you get more units or factions. Basically milk the video gamers like they milk the hobby. I don't think it would prevent people from playing the war game, in fact it could bring more people in. And it'd be a great way to try new lists and strategies etc. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I'd be a whale for this game, no question. I love playing...but assembling and painting is getting difficult as my essential tremors get worse. And that's not to mention finding people to play with

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Genghis Cohen posted:

Dear god, really?

During the little trailer they had for AoS 3.0 during the livestream a few weeks ago the devs said they see the rule as pretty core to AoS and want to continue to expand on it. It's not going away for at least not for another edition.

moths posted:

Is anything confirmed about AoS3 rules yet?

The one thing they've confirmed that I've seen is that battalions aren't going to be usable in matched play anymore, and instead generic "core battalions" are being brought in, largely because they've admitted they can't balance battalions. CP generation being similar to OBR (more CP every turn based on number of units or the number of heros you have) is something that's all but confirmed. Beyond that everything else is rumour.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 28, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Furism posted:

the sheet amount of assets required would be insane, still, including a code with every model so entering it gives you the model in the game for free...

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
https://twitter.com/dana_howl/status/1398286403360989185?s=20

GW just can't keep it in their pants until the official reveal

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
E N H A N C E

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Furism posted:

. I realize you can sort of do this with Tabletop Simulator but it looks fiddly and not of very good quality.

I've done a fair amount of this, and it's honestly pretty good.

Fiddling wise, not bad at all. TTS is very literal about being a table top simulation, so you pick up models and throw dice and so on with the main reason for being worse than IRL being that you can only use one hand (group select makes up a lot of the difference). Physics is different but not in entirely bad ways: it's much easier to avoid accidentally knocking over terrain. Printing army lists into games is a bit of a trick but not strictly necessary.

Assets wise, AOS lags badly behind 40k and Infinity and really a lot of games. Last I looked a lot of the assets are "paper doll" rather than true 3d models. So that's genuine weakness.

For terrain you're at the mercy of the modders as well but there's an embarrassing amount of options.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tulip posted:

I've done a fair amount of this, and it's honestly pretty good.

Oh yeah I have no doubt it's playable, it's not just AAA level I'd want personally. But it sure does fill the "let's try army lists" I mentionned.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Desfore posted:

GW just can't keep it in their pants until the official reveal

neither could fimir if i remember the lore correctly

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Playing 40k and AOS on TTS is surprisingly good and more convenient than real life. Rolling tons of dice and moving lots of models is way faster than real life.

It is a little unintuitive at first but after a game or so it is super good.

It doesnt have quite the same vibe as real life but it has scratched my itch during Covid.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I've taken stock of everything my friend left me. I'm not going to use the Sigmar names I'm calling them what they are. I have:

Elector Count of Griffon
The Thingy With All them Magnifying Glasses of Hysh
A hellblaster
A hellblaster but rockets
A cannon
20 Greatswords
20 Handgunners
40 halberdiers
10 flagellants
One wizard
5 Pistolleers
3 Demigryph Knights
Steam Tonk

What should I be looking at next, or am I ready to rumble?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Everything but the cannon is good for a Cities of Sigmar army.

You've already got well over 2000pts but I guess maybe an engineer (or stormcast ordinator) for your warmachines or the generic endless spells.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If I used Greywater Fastness, and used all three artillery pieces as the rocket formation, would there likely be objections or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Clawtopsy posted:

I've taken stock of everything my friend left me. I'm not going to use the Sigmar names I'm calling them what they are. I have:

Elector Count of Griffon
The Thingy With All them Magnifying Glasses of Hysh
A hellblaster
A hellblaster but rockets
A cannon
20 Greatswords
20 Handgunners
40 halberdiers
10 flagellants
One wizard
5 Pistolleers
3 Demigryph Knights
Steam Tonk

What should I be looking at next, or am I ready to rumble?
You’re good for playing fun games.

I like the alternate build of the giant laser cannon better, the mobile orrery for supporting big bricks of infantry (ranged and melee). In most games you can just run it ‘counts as’. Maybe you kinda need a foot general. It’s a quite a varied army and therefore not as focused as competitive builds often are, but you can make several fun builds I think.

If you’re desperate to throw some money away, I think pistoleers are better as a 10 man unit and demigryphs better as 6, but I honestly think what you have is great for fun games and a good start if you want to build towards more skewed lists. Like 40 hand gunners with hurricanum and so on. The halberdiers are also fine, but probably not first choice among the state troops, unless something changed recently.