Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that lady can cite Seven Samurais as a reason why films are bloated today but it’s actually all Peter Jackson’s fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I actually blame digital cameras making expensive film feel obsolete.

(Also that all the big studios are obsessed with franchise building so no film can simply be self-contained and now always includes at least 15 minutes of totally extraneous material meant as sequel hooks)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah that’s the LotR effect. longer movies + more of them = beaucoup dollores

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

indigi posted:

I wish it were possible in our current cultural context to admit that something, say a MCU or Zach Snyder movie, was “bad” or “hack” or “formulaic,” while still maintaining that you enjoyed it*. I will poo poo on Marvel movies all day long but that part in Endgame where Cap picks up Mjolnir? gently caress yeah I would like to see that. the entire lovely movie was worth it for that and it owned.

i've enjoyed pretty much every marvel movie i've watched. what else am i going to do, sit in the cinema fuming to myself?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

indigi posted:

that lady can cite Seven Samurais as a reason why films are bloated today but it’s actually all Peter Jackson’s fault

indigi posted:

yeah that’s the LotR effect. longer movies + more of them = beaucoup dollores

Wow, I never thought about it, but you're right.

Okay, followup: who came up with 'last film in a series is unjustifiably split into two movies', because that's who I want to go back in time and kill.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, followup: who came up with 'last film in a series is unjustifiably split into two movies', because that's who I want to go back in time and kill.

harry potter films

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

kill bill. it's all tarantinos' fault

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

nah that was just a planned 2-part movie, i agree with the other poster about harry potter — after that the hunger games and twilight (and i'm sure others) did the same

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i enjoy mcu movies because i enjoy eating from the trashcan of ideology

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

I actually blame digital cameras making expensive film feel obsolete.

I blame cds for make music poo poo.
Albums used to be done in 42 minutes.

Then the CD came along and bumped that up to a hour and nineteenth minutes
(It was to fit all of Beethoven's 9th symphony in a single play.)

Then pop music albums split off into two qualities.
- (pop music = rock, electronic, rap, country, some Latin-America music (tin pan alley);___ not pop = non-western classical, folk, western/classical, jazz, pre-1945-ish)

1) Albums with, at most, three enjoyable songs, and the rest garbage,
- (before that, the non-popular tracks were respectable enough and able to define one's own taste and create new genres.)

2) Albums where all the songs had some potential,
but it was all squandered from efforts being spread too thin
and becomes a mush of the band's style.

Reading novels ....errrereaahhaaaajrpgsrrrrahfulata s
After reading Wittgenstein and getting deep into James Joyce, most novels just look sloppy.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:07 on May 27, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

getting deep into James Joyce,

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i havent seen seven samurai but i looked it up and they forgot to put colour in it?
so i guess its not as good as batman versus superman extended blood of superman edition

but neither are as good as when in blade 2 blade has to team up with a team of vampire assassins to fight super vampires who prey on vampires

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

This cinematic masterpiece is bad now to enjoy some literal feces that the cia/mic churns out 4 times a year

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

babypolis posted:

ive literally never seen this person post in cspam before. is there some kind of batsignal for you people

how dare you call my posting credentials into question!

I'll have you know this is but one of several cspam threads I irregularly participate in. I also sometimes browse some of the faster moving threads like the Glenn thread but without posts I concede I cannot prove this yet validation is very important to me, give me a ribbon please

indigi posted:

Detective Pikachu was absolutely serviceable as an excuse to do CG Pokémon in a real world, but I can’t remember a single thing about it storywise

It's rarely the SFX that are a problem with movies imo, hell I enjoy early cgi like last starfighter or Merlin where its texture is way too smooth even. I don't care if it's computers or puppets, is the story actually fun or interesting is the real question

a Loving Dog posted:

i watched eXistenZ again last week and i liked it a lot more than when I was a teen and didn't really "get" it. ive also grown to appreciate Cronenberg a lot in that time and i think it was the first movie of his I had ever watched

I actually haven't seen that one despite
:love: Cronenberg, genuine thanks!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

yeah there are a lot of people who are anti Joyce.
But eh,
talking about joyce, bad or good, is basically agreeing that his works are important.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

all I know about him is that he likes farts and that he's Irish so I won't be reading any of his books

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ulysses is an anti colonial text therefore joyce's haters are imperialist scum

(i've only read dubliners and portrait...)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hmm that's ok I'll stick with non-Irish anticolonialists

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

This cinematic masterpiece is bad now to enjoy some literal feces that the cia/mic churns out 4 times a year

A good piece of art is consensus that everybody thinks is good.
Or if people hate that art, they have a specific reason why, but can still respect aspects of it.

High Art, because it doesn't dumb itself down for the masses,
makes it really easy for people to hate parts of it because it makes it really easy to spot.

8 billion people in the world, it's easy to find people who hate any art for some reason.
I just wish I could make a spread sheet for what people hate in that art,
so at least the turgid mass of opinions can be sorted into categories.

Transformers, Avatar, All pixar Movies, Disney live actions movies, and fast and Furious movies, etc etc etc are CIA plants
to make movies engineered to be fizzle out your brain like fast food,
and make you feel like the hero.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

kill bill had a point to being two movies tho, the first is shlocky samurai poo poo and the third is more a look at the Bride's life and journey (also i guess its meant to point out that cool sword fights dont work very well when your enemies dont give a poo poo and use guns)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

to make movies engineered to be fizzle out your brain like fast food,

then why can't people shut the gently caress up about them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

I wish it were possible in our current cultural context to admit that something, say a MCU or Zach Snyder movie, was “bad” or “hack” or “formulaic,” while still maintaining that you enjoyed it*. I will poo poo on Marvel movies all day long but that part in Endgame where Cap picks up Mjolnir? gently caress yeah I would like to see that. the entire lovely movie was worth it for that and it owned.

*oddly though I feel like nobody has a problem doing this with FF movies. bloggers and youtubers aren’t trying to opine on their artistic merits; they’re trash, and they’re great. it’s ok to enjoy a Big Mac and not maintain that it’s the pinnacle of artisanal burger technology. that franchise is the only example of this reaction I can think of, though, on everything else people are willing to die on the hill of “this is peak cinema” and “this is jarbage”

the difference is that in the goon ecosystem FF or other garbage like the SW prequels are cool because they are marxist or whatever nonsense people convinced themselves of, and MCU movies are not. thats literally the only difference

imo you should just like whatever you want and not give a gently caress about what others think (i liked endgame for example, its a fun sendoff). by the same token you should also not care too much if someone shits on something you like. for the most part this thread works because people generally follow these guidelines, with some notable exceptions

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the entire purpose of this thread is to be a safe space for us to admit that we unironically like trash movies for idiots

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

indigi posted:

Why do goons have multi-page derails about fast food all the time?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
Anything that makes you feel good is inherently fascistic, which is why I post from inside a sewer and sleep on a bed of used needles

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

babypolis posted:

the difference is that in the goon ecosystem FF or other garbage like the SW prequels are cool because they are marxist or whatever nonsense people convinced themselves of, and MCU movies are not. thats literally the only difference

do people think the FF movies are Marxist??? lmao based on loving what

but I was speaking more broadly about contemporary Anglophone culture. for instance, the conniptions people went into over Scorsese saying MCU movies are like theme park rides were something else

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
My pillow is a dead parrot I used to love and every morning I wake up screaming

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

vyelkin posted:

the entire purpose of this thread is to be a safe space for us to admit that we unironically like trash movies for idiots

i for one am very much looking forward to Jackass 4 and hope to see it as it's meant to be seen: in a full theater after eating a gummy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

drat horror queefs posted:

My pillow is a dead parrot I used to love and every morning I wake up screaming

whoa hello forums user Mike Lindell.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Yeah. Sometimes I enjoy mindlessly enjoying watching robots fight and you folx hellbent on being miserable can't take that away from me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

but I was speaking more broadly about contemporary Anglophone culture. for instance, the conniptions people went into over Scorsese saying MCU movies are like theme park rides were something else

normies like the MCU. as for scorcese i assume he doesnt have nice things to say about the FF franchise either

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but 1) he’d be right and B) who cares anyway

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indigi posted:

scorcese's (anodyne, tame) comments really revealed some insecurities of the marvel enjoyers (or at least their most vocal supporters/media freaks)....... would have been a good opportunity for some reflection, but alas

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dumb, mindless action is good to watch

Critical think piece art efforts are good to watch, too.

A complex issue with many sides.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

scorcese's (anodyne, tame) comments really revealed some insecurities of the marvel enjoyers (or at least their most vocal supporters/media freaks)....... would have been a good opportunity for some reflection, but alas

did anyone even ask marty's opinion about amusement parks? he probably doesnt even hate them!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's about a smart guy named Stephen who is stuck in a rut,
and feels the pressure of British rule on him

when he befriends and is spiritually adopted by
Bloom who walks about the day thinking about the present and dealing the the past
of his son dying 10 years ago, and feeling like he only creates dead things,
so he doesn't have sex with his wife,

and on that day his wife commit adultery
but when she meets Stephen she silent agrees to also adopt him as their child.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/professors/jeffrey-perl
In one lesson Perl really explodes a good amount of the book.

Like in the background of the book a person is being made.

Anthony Burgess explain Finnegan wake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyMubEjUAIk

It's about insects.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

indigi posted:

They're Addictive, like fast food, and sugar.
Edit: and like cigarettes. Smokers love talking about smoking.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

did anyone even ask marty's opinion about amusement parks? he probably doesnt even hate them!

if someone told me i was as much fun as an amusement park, i would be delighted. rollercoasters are very fun

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

he was legit very complimentary about all the work that goes into Marvel movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

of the mcu movies (except the x-men ones, i think i've seen most of those) i only ever watched Black Panther, and i thought it sucked rear end!!

x men are usually pretty fun though, i liked days of future past but the dark phoenix one or whatever was god awful