Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Callis's heel shtick is really grating over the course of a whole show so please no

Hard disagree, he was great in NJPW and knew when to balance out the heel stuff so it didn't get overbearing, when he wasnt, y'know, doing a bit of the Problematics. He's way better at not being grating than, say, Gino.

Anyway, speaking of good announcers that are underrated because WWE sucks, Face gently caress Phillips is out, per Fightful Select.

I'd be really intrigued to see him land in another company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Wait did they promote Eva Marie returning and then not show her again for a month?

So far she hasn't appeared on any show except for vignettes and they haven't stated any date or show she will be on. The first vignette was start of the month.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda hope JR gets replaced by Callis soon.

JR is definitely passed his prime, but I'm very happy with the AEW no heel commentator thing.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

Hard disagree, he was great in NJPW and knew when to balance out the heel stuff so it didn't get overbearing, when he wasnt, y'know, doing a bit of the Problematics. He's way better at not being grating than, say, Gino.

Anyway, speaking of good announcers that are underrated because WWE sucks, Face gently caress Phillips is out, per Fightful Select.

I'd be really intrigued to see him land in another company.

Who’s hand did Tom Philip not shake some years ago? They loving hate that guy for some reason and he was probably their best commentator at the moment

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Who’s hand did Tom Philip not shake some years ago? They loving hate that guy for some reason and he was probably their best commentator at the moment

he's too tall.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

He was publicly horny

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

He called the moves instead of saying Oh!.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's black.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They make a lot of good points in this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeDsG7I2mPU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

1glitch0 posted:

JR is definitely passed his prime, but I'm very happy with the AEW no heel commentator thing.

Yeah it actually makes it stand out more when they have a heel manager come onto commentary because it makes the match actually feel different.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tony Schiavone is the heel announcer, its just he only likes the faces.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

(Ex/Taz is of course the best announce desk around though)

Ah, the Chaos Configuration.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so very black

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Tomspiracy was so fun. People thought he might actually be seven feet tall for a while.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
yet another wwe performer who put over steph

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7btafd

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

so very black

Mixed him up with Byron Saxton.

In fairness, WWE doesn't hire announcers with distinctive personalities.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I laugh every time they make him stand like that. Like them dumb fuckers really expect that to work.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Mauro got worse in NXT but he was good for the Omega/Swann match, so he hasn't lost it or anything.

I don't get the hate for Kevin Kelly's finisher calls, they're fun and the Japanese announcers do similar calls for big moves.

The day AEW's regular desk gets a heel commentator is the day I stop watching Dynamite.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Mauro has a unique excitement level that worked great for those 2 to 2 1/2 hour Takeovers, because he would start the night at like an 8.5 in terms of excitement and then get to a 10 for the main event, and it made the whole show feel important. And then NXT was only an hour each week, so it didn't bother me too much, it made the newer talent feel like bigger starts. But hearing that same level of excitement for nothing matches on Smackdown for 2 hours was draining.

The current crew like... starts their night at a 4 and ramps up to a 7.5 by the main event. But it doesn't feel like they are actually talking to each other, but talking at each other, because nobody really reacts to what others are saying. It's like they're taking turns getting in the talking points fed over their headset.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dimebags Brain posted:

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a hot take but Steen winning the belt in a bad match and then having an endless boring feud with Balor legit killed my interest in NXT.

I think it is, they had an awesome match in Japan and then a good ladder match at the first big Takeover, that was the whole feud

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Was it Owens/Balor where it felt like they just fought each other at every Takeover for like 9 months? I think this also happened with Joe/Shinsuke or something? There was definitely a period where the main feud just felt like it kept getting dragged out well beyond its welcome which felt way different than NXT had felt up to that point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You are probably thinking of Ciampa and Gargano.

Finn and Owens had an NXT title match on weekly TV. Owens retained. Balor worked his way up to #1 contender again and won the title at a WWE special in Japan (not Takeover). Then he successfully defended against Owens in a ladder match at Takeover in a main event that should've gone to Sasha and Bayley. So 3 matches for the NXT title and only 1 being at Takeover.

Joe and Nakamura hot potatoed the title so Shinsuke could win it again in Japan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that was the first Takeover: Brooklyn, I was there, the crowd was deflated after Sasha/Bayley. It also didn’t help that all the screens were dark for the first few minutes of Balor/Owens so plenty of people couldn’t see what was going on. That and being distracted by security trying to eject the people that threw streamers into the ring.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That and being distracted by security trying to eject the people that threw streamers into the ring.

Wack

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I remember when ROH tried to crack down on streamers after someone broke a chandelier at the New Yorker hotel and it resulted in Davey Richards and Jimmy Rave getting all cut up during their midcard match, but the Barclay Center last I checked doesn't have any chandeliers, so who cares?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SonicRulez posted:

Finn and Owens had an NXT title match on weekly TV. Owens retained. Balor worked his way up to #1 contender again and won the title at a WWE special in Japan (not Takeover). Then he successfully defended against Owens in a ladder match at Takeover in a main event that should've gone to Sasha and Bayley. So 3 matches for the NXT title and only 1 being at Takeover.

Joe and Nakamura hot potatoed the title so Shinsuke could win it again in Japan.

Nah, definitely not thinking of Ciampa/Gargano. I was already moving toward the door as that feud dragged on.

I must be thinking of Joe/Shinsuke. Looks like they had at least 4 matches with each other (Back To Brooklyn, Toronto, the one in Japan, and then some cage match at some point?) and at the time it just felt like it was taking forever to move on to something else.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I remember when ROH tried to crack down on streamers after someone broke a chandelier at the New Yorker hotel and it resulted in Davey Richards and Jimmy Rave getting all cut up during their midcard match, but the Barclay Center last I checked doesn't have any chandeliers, so who cares?

thats badass, irl stage hazard

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They eventually let them stay, probably because people were chanting “Let them stay!” When you watch that match, just remember that half the crowd couldn’t see poo poo for the first five minutes, and there was a whole sideshow between security and streamer throwers that seemed much more interesting.

EDIT: And that’s in addition to coming down off Sasha/Bayley.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
NXT is in a bad spot right now, because while I don't have a problem with the majority of the champions, the top two (the ones who represent the brand in my eyes) are either cold as gently caress (Kross) or can't decide on their alignment and are pretty overexposed and overrated (Raquel). Ignoring the fact that Balor and Shirai were both legitimately popular stars, putting the titles on Kross and Gonzalez is going to go down as one of the all time baffling business decisions for modern NXT since neither is moving the needle in a positive direction. They are also all over the advertising/PR materials now, so it's pretty obvious Triple H is heavily behind them, even if all metrics are showing he shouldn't be.

I mean in the case of Raquel, she was supposed to be a big talking point of NXT this week, but the only women's stuff people are really discussing is Frankie Monet's debut. And this is a regular pattern as well. Last week it was all about Toni Storm/Zoey Stark instead of Raquel, and Sarray. Raquel pretty much has the personality of a piece of cardboard. Hell, I'll even give Kross credit in that people regularly talk about him even if its overwhelmingly negative.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 27, 2021

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

SonicRulez posted:

I memory holed the first part match there so fair, but that was still okay in my memory. Balor/Joe in particular lasted at least six months, and Joe/Nakamura was about the same, those two back to back really was starting to take the shine off NXT even though at the time I was really enjoying it

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Like, I really really hated the match where Sami dropped the title to Owens. Just a completely deflating feel bad match where Sami got squashed and looked like a geek after he had just scratched and clawed his way to the top to finally beat PAC and then that was his reward. Injuries and getting called up prevented him from ever getting his win back so it was just a total gently caress you to anyone who cared about him and then NXT switched immediately into their "the hottest free agent in sports entertainment is here in NXT!" era and it's all been downhill since.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They messed up with Raquel in that she should be Dakota's sidekick while Dakota has the belt, not the other way around. Raquel has improved a lot in the ring, but like, wrestling history has proven that the Shawn Michaels part of the Michaels and Diesel duo is the better choice as champ.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Codependent Poster posted:

They messed up with Raquel in that she should be Dakota's sidekick while Dakota has the belt, not the other way around. Raquel has improved a lot in the ring, but like, wrestling history has proven that the Shawn Michaels part of the Michaels and Diesel duo is the better choice as champ.

As mean as it sounds, Dakota is pretty much damaged beyond repair at this point in NXT to ever be seen as a credible singles champion. I think she's won exactly one singles match over the past year. Otherwise she's been stacking up losses left and right in singles action.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cagematch says her last singles win was
beat Zoey stark on 3/17/21
Before that it was
beat Ember 11/4/20

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Digital Jedi posted:

Cagematch says her last singles win was
beat Zoey stark on 3/17/21
Before that it was
beat Ember 11/4/20

Ah okay. So less than a year, but far less often than someone who should be champion.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was it Owens/Balor where it felt like they just fought each other at every Takeover for like 9 months? I think this also happened with Joe/Shinsuke or something? There was definitely a period where the main feud just felt like it kept getting dragged out well beyond its welcome which felt way different than NXT had felt up to that point.

Samoa Joe/Fin Balor pretty much was a fued that started in September 2015 to June 2016.

Balor defended the NXT title in August at Brooklyn 2015 against Owens, then Balor/Joe won the Dusty Tag Team classic where the NXT Title wasn't defended until Takeover London in December. There was a NXT TV match against Apollo Crews, but that was it. Then Balor/Owens faced each other in April 2016 at Takeover Dallas, Joe won the title at a house show in Lowell in April, then they faced each other one last time in June 2016 at Takeover The End.

So it was like... 10 months where we only got 3 title matches and they were all Joe/Balor.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

DarkstarIV posted:

Ah okay. So less than a year, but far less often than someone who should be champion.

Yea and neither win is over someone important or a meaningful win to get to a championship challenge

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea and neither win is over someone important or a meaningful win to get to a championship challenge

I mean Ember is definitely getting a title match against Raquel at the next Takeover after what happened on NXT this past week, but it's blatantly obvious they are just going to feed Raquel as many popular women as possible in hopes that she'll eventually get popular with viewers, when the opposite is going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

DarkstarIV posted:

it's blatantly obvious they are just going to feed Raquel as many popular women as possible in hopes that she'll eventually get popular with viewers, when the opposite is going to happen.

Charaquel Flairzalez