Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This cursed island uses it quite often. There are actual things to criticise us for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Angrymog posted:

What's wrong with whilst?
I've yet to see someone use whilst who didn't immediately follow it with something horrible or cringey or both. It is the m'lady of grammar.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Truly it is the use of whilst that is the problem, not the company partnering with the terf board

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Whilst we're here, let's grab some more X":shrug:

Perfectly normal conversational word for me. :britain:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Notahippie posted:

This is an aside, but I legitimately once had a dream that included a store selling 6mm wargames that was called "microaggressions"

(in seriousness, my perspective is that the issue you're raising is more of an effect of microaggressions than a cause. If somebody gets the "but where are you *really from* poo poo five times a day, it gets really easy for them to look at a typical normal issue that everybody has and wonder if it was racially motivated. I'm sure that sometimes people interpret just regular rear end in a top hat or thoughtless behavior as something racially motivated when it's not, but based on both survey research and just my own observations of day-to-day life, that's in large part because of how many explicitly racially motivated ignorant poo poo they get on a regular basis. Ask a Black woman and a White woman how many people want to touch their hair on a regular basis and you'll be shocked at what you hear).

I’m not saying I have it remotely as badly as a Black woman but as a White woman with natural curly red hair that until recently was waist length, people wanted to touch my hair ALL the time and have frequently done it without my permission. Hair can be weird, microaggressions can be weird.

e: also I’m stealing your amazing dream pun and telling all my friends

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 27, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I've yet to see someone use whilst who didn't immediately follow it with something horrible or cringey or both. It is the m'lady of grammar.

It’s much more common in British English and doesn’t have that connotation at all since it sees general use over there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

It’s much more common in British English
This only bolsters my argument

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I am British and I hate whilst.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I am Americn and I hate whist.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How ya'll feel about thrice?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Whilst and whom are similar in the US in that if you use either you're a pretentious loser

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CitizenKeen posted:

Thrice has its uses.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Also, while we're here, it's pronounced "zee" and not "zed"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Froghammer posted:

Also, while we're here, it's pronounced "zee" and not "zed"

Nah, this is one where the Americans are wrong.

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

Vs

"Zed"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CitizenKeen posted:

It makes me feel fancy

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Jimbozig posted:

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

Vs

"Zed"

Yes, but Zebra rhyming with Deborah is just wrong.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jimbozig posted:

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

I have never had this happen. Perhaps there are some regional accents where it's easy to confuse those sounds?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Sefer posted:

I have never had this happen. Perhaps there are some regional accents where it's easy to confuse those sounds?

Literally every telephone conversation with a CSR... ever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I work in a professional capacity with many people in Britain or who speak/write/use a derivation of British English and many of them habitually use "whilst" without prejudice. It's just considered normal, perhaps slightly fancy or formal, and doesn't carry any particular connotation of pretension or in particular serve as a warning-sign that something is about to be said that is prejudiced or awful.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm as american as most american things and I really like the word whilst. :shrug:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm indifferent to whilst, "dear reader" makes me want to kill, and Mumsnet should be obliterated with Hellfire missiles.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There are actual things to criticise us for.
Yeah, like why is it called a Wigan kebab?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Obie Thrice

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Real name, no gammons

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jimbozig posted:

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

Vs

"Zed"

"Zulu".

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Whilst a diversion into the variations of dialects and word choice across the Anglosphere is a colourful diversion, maybe spending an entire page talking about it in the face of a major distributor cuddling up to transphobia (and that stuff about "women's spaces" in the Mumsnet statement is packed with transphobic dogwhistles since the implicit assumption is that trans women do not legitimately have access to women's spaces) ain't the best use of our time.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm indifferent to whilst, "dear reader" makes me want to kill, and Mumsnet should be obliterated with Hellfire missiles.
Yeah, like why is it called a Wigan kebab?

Some jobs shouldn't be half-assed. We can use much bigger weapons on Mumsnet. Better to be through than have to come back later and do it again.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Mumsnet Towers needs some quality cladding.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Warthur posted:

Whilst a diversion into the variations of dialects and word choice across the Anglosphere is a colourful diversion, maybe spending an entire page talking about it in the face of a major distributor cuddling up to transphobia (and that stuff about "women's spaces" in the Mumsnet statement is packed with transphobic dogwhistles since the implicit assumption is that trans women do not legitimately have access to women's spaces) ain't the best use of our time.
I really wasn't expecting "whilst" mockery to be so controversial.

Mumsnet is bad and I'm glad coilspring are losing customers over it. I'm also offering even odds on them being offered an exclusivity deal on some Harry Potter themed candyland reskin.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Warthur posted:

Whilst you're right, I'm not sure there's much for this thread to say about it aside from "gently caress Mumsnet and gently caress coilspring for working with them."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warthur posted:

i'm very sorry the internet comedy forum is shitposting

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It's just considered normal, perhaps slightly fancy or formal, and doesn't carry any particular connotation of pretension
As an american, these statements seem to be contradictory.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

As an american, these statements seem to be contradictory.

We all adopt different stylistic norms depending on the context of where we're writing and what we're writing about, reflexively and usually without thinking. Using more formal style in a more formal writing context, such as a business brief or the draft of a proposal, isn't automatically pretentious; it's just appropriate for the context.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

English is a dumb, nonsensical language and we are all worse off for speaking it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

English is a dumb, nonsensical language and we are all worse off for speaking it

English rules. It’s a weird mishmash of a great number of other languages and it adopts and creates new words all the time, what’s not to love?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thetoughestbean posted:

English rules. It’s a weird mishmash of a great number of other languages and it adopts and creates new words all the time, what’s not to love?

English is a creole invented by Norman mercenaries to talk Saxon barmaids into bed and it shows.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

they were decent, not my favorite early 2000s post-hardcore band but they're okay

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
"Whilst" is a funny-sounding word, to me in a like personal way. This isn't a criticism of the word or people who use it.

Congrats to the board game distributor for doubling down on collaborating with a bigoted mommy forum. I hope they continue to lose business for it.

Jimbozig posted:

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

Vs

"Zed"

You're still going to get that with like 40% of the letters in the English alphabet that don't have dialectical differences in how they're pronounced? If you're spelling something out on the phone, you'll be doing "D as in...", "G as in...", "N as in..." the whole way through anyhow if you want to make sure it's spelled right.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Congrats to the board game distributor for doubling down on collaborating with a bigoted mommy forum. I hope they continue to lose business for it.
You're still going to get that with like 40% of the letters in the English alphabet that don't have dialectical differences in how they're pronounced? If you're spelling something out on the phone, you'll be doing "D as in...", "G as in...", "N as in..." the whole way through anyhow if you want to make sure it's spelled right.

Spelt

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

Gimme a minute to rehydrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My four year old knows the NATO alphabet, and to tie it back in to the thread, it cracks me up every time he wants to look at the monsters in my Delta & Delta books.